BB 22-Mar-15
AZBUGLER 23-Mar-15
AZBUGLER 23-Mar-15
Rut Nut 25-Mar-15
loesshillsarcher 25-Mar-15
10-Mar-15

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
I saw the cool thread Colorado in the old days and got a kick out of seeing the old school photos of some old farts that lurk about.

Okay doesnt have to be the FIRST but those old photos you had to scan...you know the ones....mullets....dorky glasses...work boots, jean and a K-mart jacket

Here is my first...Wyoming antlope...long belly crawl...felt a thrill when I put my hands on him that changed my life and I never looked back....I was 14 and that was 40 years ago.....

10-Mar-15
Cool. I assume that rifle kills will be ok in this case . After-all we are all hunter no matter the tool used. Would everyone care to include a brief story?

10-Mar-15

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
First big game animal was a whitetail deer actually taken with archery equipment. Successful opening day spot and stalk hunt along the edge of a soybean field. Had no idea what I was doing...but it somehow worked out.

Check out the 1970's vintage camo! Equipment used included a Bear Whitetail Hunter compound bow (still have it), Easton Gamegetter 2217 aluminum arrows, and 125gr Wasp broadheads.

10-Mar-15

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
skipmaster1's embedded Photo
First big game I was 15. It was my second year of hunting and my best friends first year. It was a rainy morning so we slept in a bit and then went out still hunting/stalking. We split up for a few hours and had some close calls but no shots. Late morning we met up and started walking back home. I looked up and saw 2 deer about 200 yards out running down a hill at full speed right at us. It was a spike chasing a doe. We both instinctively nocked arrows and stood close to either side of a big oak tree. 20 yards out was a stone wall and when the doe jumped it she stopped and turned broadside. I drew on her but she started walking to my right. She quickly was at a bad angle and behind some brush. I looked left and the spike was where the doe was when I drew on her. I swung onto him and released. As I watched my arrow, I saw my buddy's arrow cross the path of mine. The deer jumped the string and both our arrows caught the buck in the spine, 2 inches apart. He dropped in his tracks. My best friend and I had just taken our first deer. We never even knew the other was going to shoot. I still have my spike on a necklace my father had made.

10-Mar-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
My first deer 1957!

Just kidding. This is my Dad's one and only bow kill from 1957. I was 4 in this picture.

10-Mar-15
Now, that is a very cool story!.....great memories "skipmaster1" ....

10-Mar-15
Sure any method...why not...its all fun...;)

10-Mar-15

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo

elkmtngear's Link
Not my first bowkill, but I was rockin' the mullet!

My first bowkill was a small 3x3 Blacktail in 1977, 20 yard broadside shot, and I was shaking so bad I hit him in the neck. Fortunately he went down immediately. I thought my heart was going to come out of my chest, what a rush!

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

10-Mar-15

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
First deer at 14 years old, and still the biggest buck I've ever shot.

I hunted for several years unsuccessfully, by myself. When I was 10 years old, I pestered my mom and dad mercifully to let me deer hunt. No one else in my family hunted.

So when I was 11, I took the Hunters Safety course, and started going by myself. Parents bought me the pictured .30-.30. Lots of deer around, but I was dumb, and never got a shot.

Started hunting with a family friend, and he put on a little push in a thick creek bottom. This buck cautiously poked his head out, and I liver shot him at about 100 yards.

This buck started the real hunting bug for me. And probably ruined me from the get-go. I was ate up with hunting before I shot him, and way worse after.

It would be another long 5 years before I was able to take my first big game animal with a bow.

Bake

10-Mar-15

bnt40's embedded Photo
bnt40's embedded Photo
My first buck with the bow (my second big game animal). I shot a doe two years prior with the bow at 1 yard.

My dad wanted to go duck hunting and I wanted to go deer hunting. We drove out to our woods and he went to the duck blind and I went to the back 40 to sit in stand. I was in stand about five minutes and this buck came walking along the lake edge. It walked past me at about 40 yards and headed towards my dad. I was excited to see the buck but bummed that I didn't get a chance.

About one minute passed and the next thing I know this buck is running back my way. It so happened my dad forgot something and when he went back to the truck he ran into this buck. The deer stopped, looked at him, turned around and went back my direction.

I remember standing and getting ready. He had two options, go along the lake the same way he came or cut up into the woods on the logging road I was sitting on. The buck turned my direction, came straight at me and stopped at eight yards. I don't even remember letting the arrow fly but the next thing I know I see this arrow buried in the deer.

It happened so fast and the deer was gone headed back towards my dad. I remember shaking badly and telling myself to wait an hour before getting down.

Some twenty five minutes passed and I heard whistling from the direction the deer went. I got down from my stand and slowly made my way to where I shot the deer. As I looked down the logging road some 50 yards I could see my dad waving for me to come on over. No way I thought. When I reached my dad his smile said it all. Over there he said. There on the trail was my buck piled up. High fives and a very special moment for both of us.

My dad said he had a feeling I would get a shot. He worked his way over to me very slowly. He said he just about stumbled over my dead buck.

10-Mar-15

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Not my first but one of em. I'm like 13 or so. Nobody told me I had to have my bow in the pic or it wasn't a bow kill or that turtle necks aren't cool:)

10-Mar-15

Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
My first big game kill was a mule deer that we watched grow all summer in my uncles alfalfa field.

When hunting season came he had disappeared for the first 3 days but I kept going out after school and sitting on the edge of the field with my dad.

On the forth day the buck came in from the badlands and gave me a shot. I was shooting a model 99 300 Savage that was my dads when he was a kid. Buck fever kicked in and I ended up shooting him in the guts. I was shaking so bad that a follow up shot was not possible so we watched him lay down on the edge of the field in the sagebrush and let him die.

Like bake this buck has been the biggest mule deer I have taken to date but hope to someday get a bigger one with a bow.

Great thread that brought back some good memories. Thanks for starting it.

10-Mar-15
9 point buck. 44 yards from the ground with a old Bear round wheel. most accurate bow I ever shot. Easton 2116 with file sharpened Zwickey. complete pass through.

10-Mar-15
Sure any method...its all fun!!!

10-Mar-15

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
my 60-plus, "cityboy" neighbor with a fallow doe. He has bought some mountain land, is way excited about hunting, and really has no experience. I invited him to go to a preserve and take some meat, get used to the idea of picking a spot, making a shot, experiencing the kill, and field dressing. he used my old .30-06 and made a textbook shot, I took one for myself then we dressed them, took them home, skinned let em hang in the garage 10 days, butchered and packaged them. He is hooked! (and I have a mountain place to hunt, lol)

10-Mar-15

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
my son's first big game. he was 12.

10-Mar-15

elvspec's embedded Photo
elvspec's embedded Photo
I'm gonna cheat a bit here. This is not my first big game animal ever but its my first in at least 30 years (that should count right?)and my first ever with a bow. I shot a couple deer when I was a kid but quit hunting after my Pop was killed by a trespasser back in '88. Much to the prodding of my brother and nephew over the last few years I decided to pick up a bow again last year. Its been great and I feel like a kid in the woods again!

I'm proud of this one as I scouted it myself on public land, no bait and a shot right through the heart much to my surprise.

10-Mar-15
By the way the old school camo shirt I'm wearing in the photo above was one bought for me by my Pop when I was a kid over thirty years ago!

10-Mar-15

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
my Godson's first ever deer...I am the bearded guy on the left

10-Mar-15

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
My first big game animal was a doe (no picture), this was my first buck. He was 125 yards away, and I let loose with the old 30/30 Marlin with open sights. I was shook up and missed the first 3 shots, the dumb yearling just stood there looking around, dropped him with the 4th shot, dumped the 5th shot in him for good measure. :) I went and got my Dad, he congratulated me as we stood over it for a few minutes. They he slaps me on the back and says "Well, good luck, I'll go back and get the truck." My first field dressing job as well.

10-Mar-15

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Bowfreak's embedded Photo
First 2 big game animals. First bow kills. Killed about 2 minutes apart. This was the last year or second to last year when you could kill 2 bucks in KY. October 9, 1989

10-Mar-15

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
My first was this nice gobbler my dad called in on the last day of the season. Shot him with a 20 gauge 3 inch mag. In 1984.

11-Mar-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
First big game animal....Nov. 15, 1983. I took up bow hunting to kill the month of October before trapping season opened. Didn't manage to kill anything in October but had time for a quick evening hunt in the middle of trapping season. It was a short walk from my 10 x 50 trailer I lived in at the time right in the middle of the timber.

I sat on the ground in the bottom of a hollow as it was very windy. This buck came through following a group of does. When he went behind a tree, I drew the bow and held what seemed like forever before he stepped out at about 35 yards. I was shaking so bad by the time he stepped out, I could barely hold the pin on the deer. I launched the arrow and hit him right in the top of the ass catching the aorta or femoral. Got lucky and he didn't go far.

My life changed that day.

11-Mar-15
Bowfreak, They must have thought you were a bow hunting God after that feat! That's amazing!

11-Mar-15
Actually midwest....I had people calling me at home that I had never met before. They were all wanting to know where I was hunting. To be honest with you, at that time it shouldn't have been too hard to do what I did if you knew anything at all about bowhunting. We had so many deer that it was crazy. I didn't know anything at this point and only lucked out at picking this spot for my stand because of all the deer sign. There was absolutely zero thought as to where to hang my stand....just hung it in a stand near sign. Wind direction, approach and pretty much anything else one should do to pick a spot wasn't even considered. Like you.....I was never the same after that day.

11-Mar-15
I have no pics of my first animals, ex-wife took care of that. I will share the story though. I was asked to go by my brother-in-law after someone else dropped out. I had no gun, nor did I know anything about deer hunting. Hell, I was barely old enough to drive. So we go to Willow City in the Hill Country of Texas where little bitty deer were everywhere. After roaming around and spooking deer left and right, I met my BIL back at the car for a sandwich. He looks down in a valley and sees a doe about 500 yd. away. We make a stalk to intercept and it's successful ! Using a borrowed Win Mod 70 in 30/06 , I made a good shot and my deer hunting passion was ignited. I can remember it like it was yesterday. Also remember the car breaking down and all of us but one taking a bus back to Dallas. Five guys with four rifles in the Dallas bus station ! My , my, how times have changed !

Great stories above BTW !

11-Mar-15
300# Catahoula hog. 10-yrs old, double barrel, L.C. Smith 12 with 00-buckshot. 1954.

11-Mar-15
Other than neighborhood cats with a pellet gun my first was a 20 in 6 pt at the age of 11. My father and myself sat in the grain hopper of an old abandoned combine at the edge of a wheat field. The 243 I mowed lawns to buy put him down in his tracks. Hunting was a way of life and we didn't start taking pictures until we became "trophy" hunters. I would love to have pictures of those days but they are forever etched into my mind.

11-Mar-15
This will be a great thread. Good idea. Somewhere here I have a picture of my first bow kill. It happens to be a timberwolf back in 1974. Will get it post shortly.

11-Mar-15
My first was a bow killed doe in 66', matter of fact, all mine have been bow killed for 49 years or so.

11-Mar-15

MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo
MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is the very first animal I ever took. 1986 up in the NW corner of Colorado above Maybel. Kind of strange that after all these years We live up here now, and that my son is 2 years older than I was in this photo.

11-Mar-15

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
Although not my first, this was a LONG time ago! Heck, I can't remember the last time I saw a B/W photo. lol! This was in Idaho back in 1973.

11-Mar-15

Buskill's embedded Photo
Buskill's embedded Photo
Little 6 point. The year before I had discovered my dad's old compound . Super loud and had 3-4 does jump the string. I then invested in a Mountaineer Archery compound and practiced all summer. Opening day I sent a 2016 on it's way with an old school Razorback 125. I will never forget that hunt. So magical. I took a deer on opening day from the same stand a few years in a row and I still get excited when I look at that tree.

11-Mar-15
I lived in a Cree Village when I was a youngster and we did not have a camera! Took my first deer with a bow at eight years young! small 4 point buck dressed at about 100 pounds.

12-Mar-15

First official game…the sparrows and blackbirds I terrorized in the back yard with my bb gun doesn’t count. I remember it something like this “It was quiet in the Aspen glade…too quiet. Then I saw them a gang of devils heads bobbing as they scattered and tried to surround me for a fatal attack. They sprung their trap and the air was filled with grey bombs razor edged wings cutting the air on full attack. Instinctively I yanked the hammer and trigger of my h&R 20 gauge before it came to my shoulder blowing a hole in thin air and aspen leaves snapping the gun hard on my wrists and one of the killers passed less than a yard over my head. The leader landed on a limb just five yards away his hate filled eye glaring down at me. I quickly cracked the breech and a smoking hull popped over my shoulder and fresh one dropped in. I was rattled and looking death in its feathery face. But the tables had turned and I felt ice water pumping through my veins. I could see him squat before he was to spring at me in a in a death dive. The brass bead bobbed on his chest and I yanked the trigger. The crash of fire made a pink mist afternoon sun the other half hitting the mossy forest floor. I had faced death and live to tell the tale” that is the way I remember it…that my story and I’m sticking to it…

13-Mar-15
I am loving the stories and the old pics. I am sad to say I don't have a pic of my first deer.

I will summarize the story.

I was 15.

I begged mom to let me stay out of school and hunt opening day.

I killed a raghorn five pointer (Eastern count) and got home with it about 9 AM. Mom helped me hang it off the pole in the backyard where we hung all the beeves and hogs when we butchered.

Mom looked at me and said "get your clothes changed and wash up, you're going to school". I said "what!, I need to skin my deer!" She says, "I will skin your deer when I get back from taking you to school" well hell, at least I missed the first two classes! LOL

13-Mar-15

13-Mar-15

13-Mar-15
Fuzzy, sounds like a great mom!

I have a great mom too. When I trapped my first bobcat, she took a picture, and then asked what I was going to do with it. . . I just looked at her and didn't say a word.

Her shoulders literally slumped, she said she'd go get a trash bag, then she helped me double wrap it and put it in the deep freeze :)

Bake

13-Mar-15
:)

13-Mar-15

Reflex's embedded Photo
Reflex's embedded Photo
My first with a bow.

13-Mar-15

Greg Kush's embedded Photo
Greg Kush's embedded Photo
My first big game animal. A doe I arrowed in 1981 at the age of 14--wire-rimmed nerd glasses and all. :-) We had to be 14 back then to hunt deer in Nebraska. Now, you can hunt deer here at the age of 10.

13-Mar-15

greenmountain's embedded Photo
greenmountain's embedded Photo
Here is my first deer. Not a monster but a trophy to me.The year was 1969.

14-Mar-15

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
1986.... My first big game animal... Ed F

14-Mar-15

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I started bowhunting in 1976 it took me 6 years to take a deer in October 1982.

Just a few weeks before I went on my first bear hunt and took one with my Bear Kodiak T/D.

14-Mar-15

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
May as well throw in the deer photo...

14-Mar-15
Love it!!! How classic is the Spike deer on the trunk of a Chevelle

14-Mar-15
greenmountain, that malibu....3 on the tree?

14-Mar-15

painless's embedded Photo
painless's embedded Photo
Here's a pic of my Dad's first buck. I was 5 back in '60 when he killed it. I'm entertaining myself picking ticks off his neck.

14-Mar-15

Jim Ergler's embedded Photo
Jim Ergler's embedded Photo
First deer-5pt First car-57 Olds Flat top hair cut, Recurve bow, Compressed cedar shafts, Bear razor heads, Quicky Quiver with no shield caused a trip to the emergency room for stitches in my fingers. Ouch... October 1963.

Ergie

14-Mar-15
My Chevy 2 was three on tree. My father's Chevelle was a two speed automatic. I didn't know it at the time but his hips were in bad shape. Shifting was agony to him. My kids and I still drive stick shift cars. They don't know what three on the tree means but now I have five on the floor.Thank you for sharing the memory. Bob

14-Mar-15
1978....a small 3x3 blacktail (hybrid) buck.....with an old Pearson longbow.

14-Mar-15
this is a great thread... I'll have to dig mine out..

14-Mar-15

4FINGER's embedded Photo
4FINGER's embedded Photo
GREAT Stories and photos from the past...heres mine...1973...18yrs Young...42# Colt Huntsman HiPower Recurve...2016 Gamegetter wearing a Bear Razorhead w/insert...stalked into 12yds shot her and watched her drop going only 50-60yds...Time Flys...4finger

14-Mar-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
It is a miracle that I even found this photo. My mom had it and before she died ten years ago, she sent me a batch of old photos she had and it included this one.

I was 21 years old, hunting on Oct. 18, 1961. Was in the Air Force in the UP of Michigan at KI Sawyer AFB, in the heart of the deer woods.

I had purchased this 50 lb. Ben Pearson recurve bow at the base BX along with some cedar arrows with three blade broadheads. Not much was know about bow hunting, and bow equipment. I used burnt cork on my face and hands, wore green AF work pants, and purchased a woodland camo jacket.

Off base and behind the base, a logging company was cutting and harvesting hardwood trees, many of which were oaks and the trails they made through the thick woods made for good travel for the hunter and the deer.

The logging skidder had made a dead end turn around and I found where a tree had fallen into the crotch of an another tree forming a place to stand 10 feet up, sort of like a tree stand. (at that time, tree stands were not allowed in Michigan).

That evening, this doe came into the clearing and came right under the tree to feed. The tip of the arrow was only 10 feet from her back and when I released the arrow, it struck her between the shoulder blades. She raced back across the clearing and out of sight within a few seconds.

I found her 60 yards away after following my very first blood trail. After gutting the doe, I carried her over my shoulders for a mile back to the base but only had to cross over the fence, past a few cars and to the barracks. I called Sargent Kerns and he came over from the on- base housing and after processing, it went into his freezer. We had a few good meals from that deer.

Interest how we can remember our firsts. First fish, first deer, first kiss, first, etc, etc. :)

My best, Paul

14-Mar-15

I may as well also include my last deer from 2014.

54 years later. Yes, time does go by fast.

Paul

15-Mar-15
Paul, that's awesome. I need to dig through some pictures. This is a great thread.

15-Mar-15
Painless I gotta say that is a 55 Chevy....

Now Paul lets not thorw this off track I know you want to tell everybody about your first kiss...;)

15-Mar-15
Painless I gotta say that is a 55 Chevy....

Now Paul lets not throw this off track I know you want to tell everybody about your first kiss...;)

15-Mar-15
Some great stories and pics. Paul that is a beast. Congrats.

My first hunting vehicle was a Ford Maverick with a 3 on the tree. It was green as well :)

15-Mar-15
"Painless I gotta say that is a 55 Chevy...."

Yes it was Pepto Bismol pink as I remember.

15-Mar-15
It was 1973 with a Root recurve....the dorky forky was looking at me over a downed log...and on the last arrow left in my side quiver (#5)...I stuck him between the eyes!! He mighta scored 55 P&Y points!!

Joe

15-Mar-15
Paul: I hope that is not your last deer just most recent.

15-Mar-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Oct. 1974. I was 21. It's a pretty good example of how NOT to take care of an elk. There were 3 of us and I was off hunting by myself when I killed this bull. I tracked him for over a mile after I jumped him out of his bed before I finally got a shot. Only one of my partners had killed any big game - a few deer. We were so unprepared, it was comical. We decided to cut it in half to drag it out. But we only had a cable saw, which promptly broke. Our knives couldn't get through the back bone, so one of my hunting partners shot it in half.

15-Mar-15

DaleT's embedded Photo
DaleT's embedded Photo
This was the first year Oklahoma opened archery season statewide; 1961 I think. I had just turned 15. I had it remounted about 10 years ago using a cape from one that didn't quite meet my threshold for mounting. Good memories!

15-Mar-15
Thanks Robert, yes, most recent one. Yea, at least 10 more years but one year at a time.

My best, Paul

15-Mar-15
Mike, what is the dog doing up in the rafters?

15-Mar-15
That's actually a second story deck.

15-Mar-15
Looks like he is smelling dinner as his eyes are a-glow! Fun days for sure.

Paul

15-Mar-15
Agree - what a great thread... OMG I haven't thought about this in years. Please bear with me, it's kind of a long TRUE story.

Not my first deer - but my first bow kill deer.

1973 in Camp Ripley Military Reservation (Central MN).

Wearing my dads old brown duck hunting coat and some tan pants. My cousin and I split up, I went down to the edge of a swamp and climbed a huge old pine tree with limbs that went almost all the way to the ground.

No stand - I flung my dads old Shakespear, recurve over my shoulder - quick quiver with 3 broadheaded arrows with no shield - and up I climbed.

No stand, just stood on a limb holding the bow in one hand and hanging on with the other.

Along comes a nice little buck - fork horn - at about 35 yards. Somehow I managed to draw and shoot without falling out of the tree.

At the sound of my bow the bucks head jerked up and ker-schlap the arrow hit him right behind the ear - down he went, right there. (AS I TYPE THIS I'M LAUGHING - I CAN SEE EVERYTHING AS PLAIN AS DAY)

I went over to gut him out and here it was a doe with antlers - all the plumbing of a doe, the milk sack was full - with antlers!

Now the rest of the story:

When leaving the military reservation everyone is required to check in their deer at the gate - they weigh it, take a tooth, and inspect it's condition.

I guess if you classify it as a doe it was a big deer 121#.

I left the "plumbing" as best I could - it drew quite a crowd - doe with antlers is quite rare.

As one of the wardens was taking a picture, I hooked my boot under its head to hold the antlers up-rite. (foreshadowing a bit here - only photo taken of my deer.)

Fast forward mid 1990's I was shooting archery leagues and during the end of the season banquet they had a game warden as a guess speaker.

During his presentation of the past Camp Ripley Military archery hunts, he says "and here we have a picture of a doe with antlers that was shot several years ago unknown who the hunter was.

THERE'S A PICTURE OF MY FRIGGEN SORREL BOOT WITH THE DEERS HEAD IN THE SLIDE.

I elbowed my buddy and said that's the deer I shot, so he does a "shout out" and longer story short - the warden gave me the picture.

Wow, memories.

15-Mar-15
I Guess! Very neat indeed. The saying, "what goes around, comes around", surely is represented in your story.

My best, Paul

PS, "right behind the ear". Priceless.

16-Mar-15
Classic stuff...Ziek great example of getting it done. I love the shot his back in half part...sounds like a great solution.

16-Mar-15
I am surprised Charlie didn't post the "Patstache" pic? LOL!

17-Mar-15

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
'There I was...'

Impala ram taken in July 2002 on Dunsappie, Messina, Northern Province RSA; hunting with Ken Moody and KMHA [first of two successful trips with KMHA]

18-Mar-15
Never thought anyones first was gonna be from Africa...

18-Mar-15
My first deer came from the UP of MI near KI Sawyer AF base as well. However mine was a rifle kill about 1985. I remember seeing a few deer tracks in an area the day before the opener. I went back the next morning and just sat down on a stump for the morning. I remember I was freezing and it was snowing hard. All of a sudden a small 4 point was walking right at me. I moved a little to fast an spooked him, but I ended up shooting him at about 80 yards. Dad helped me track him. Great memories for sure.

18-Mar-15
We can't [yet] legally hunt with archery equipment here in the UK...

18-Mar-15
My goodness I can almost hear the background banjos in some of those pictures.

19-Mar-15
Adventurewriter, yeah that threw me at first too, but just b/c the Bowsite started in USA, doen't mean all users are from USA. Barty how's the antelope to eat?

22-Mar-15
Very good... Even huge antelope like Eland are really good

22-Mar-15

Topper's embedded Photo
Topper's embedded Photo
The year was 1982, thirteen years old and my second year of deer hunting.

I was sitting behind a stump and not paying attention since the deer had walked by me in plain sight for about a 100yds. Quickly bringing the gun up and centering the cross hairs on his chest, I finally shot him at 150yrds. Not having any experience beyond squirrel hunting, I was shocked that the deer took off on a dead run. In a panic to get a second shot the bolt would not open because I did not bring it up all the way. After finally getting the shell extracted I Had the same problem closing the bolt and it seemed like it took an eternity to get that round chambered.

By now the deer was a long ways off running straight away. I brought the gun back up to my shoulder my anxiety rose higher when I could not find the deer in the scope. At this point I'm thinking that the deer is going to get away so I lift my head to try and locate him. The only thing I saw was a leg as he made a final kick before expiring.

That death run did not hold a candle to the time it took me to cover the same ground!

Have been a whitetail junkie ever since.

22-Mar-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I seldom get on the Bowsite anymore, but when I do I usually see a topic that interests me. It was fun to read all the different stories. I am so old that when I got my first animal, I could hardly afford my old Herters recurve, let along a camera to take its photo. But just let say it was a great rush that changed my life forever.

The second time around, that was even better than my first rush, was the time my son took his first animals. I don't have a photo of his first deer, but this is a photo of him with his first elk. It was taken when he was about 16 years old. It was a Sunday afternoon and we were in church, Church of the Woods, that is. Earlier that year I had torn my calf and it was the first hard hike I had been able to take since the injury.

We spotted a big herd of elk, way up on the STEEP mountain. I knew with the deep snow and my recent injury I could never make it in time, for him to get shot, before the elk went over the pass. But I told Cody if he could buck it up the other side of the pass, get the wind right, he would have his choice of bulls. He ended up getting there, and getting his breath, just as the elk came over on his side. He waited and shot the best bull in the group. It was so steep and the snow so deep, that we had to dig a big hole in the snow so the elk would slide down the hill in order to take photos and break it down. For a dad, bowhunting, that's as good as it gets in the field!

22-Mar-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
And since I couldn't find a scanned photo of his first deer, here's one of the earlier ones he took with his bow.

We had spotted this buck the night before the hunt opened, high on a hill. Boy did he get pumped he saw this one. As I recall he was six other bucks, but was the biggest of the group. He said that night to me, "Dad I am going to kill the big one tomorrow morning!" I answered something good, thinking in my mind that we would never see him again.

But early the next morning we got into them, but they split up and headed in two different directions. So we went after the two that had the big buck. But they gave us the slip and now it was hot and I knew they would be bedded. I could only see one place that I thought they would go if they were still on the hill. So I told Cody to hike up above and to the end of the aspen grove, as by then the air was moving up hill.

He headed up and got set up and then I moved slowly to the bottom of the grove which was located in the bottom of a steep ravine/draw. When I was about half way to him, from the narrow grove I could see two bucks running across the hill side just to my north. The big buck was laboring bad and I could see he wouldn't make it far. I made Cody wait an hour before we took up his trail and at the end of the blood trail lay this buck.

I have been around for 74 years and I can tell you guys, that have young kids, you are making a big mistake, if you wait until they are old enough to get a license, or not interfere with YOUR hunting. I started taking Cody when he was about 5 years old. My greatest joys in hunting have been with him, not with some animals I arrowed.

Have a great bow hunt. BB

23-Mar-15

Thanks for the reminder BB! As my oldest son, Matthew, is not on Bowsite, here is a pic of his very first animal. It was a chilly AZ morning and opening day of the youth spring turkey hunt. We had called to a boss gobbler that morning who came our direction. Although his hens came right up and fed around our decoys, he stayed 50-60 yards out strutting and gobbling away. Tormenting us! He and his girls finally wandered off and Matthew was bummed out. I told him it was still early and there were lots more birds out there. We worked our way down and old logging road calling every 100 yards or so for about and hour. I looked at him and his brother Andrew and could see they were both starting to lose interest. We walked to the end of the road and I called and Boom a thundering gobble close by! We crouched down under a small juniper and I called once more. Triple gobble and here comes two nice birds. One shot at 20 yards and our hunt was done at 7:30 on opening morning! Great memory.

23-Mar-15

Matthew's first bow kill was a year later. It was also a memorable event. Our Arizona Cardinals made it to the Super Bowl that day! When we arrived to hunt the game was still on the radio and we stayed in the truck listening to the exciting last moments. When it was over we were on quite a high from the game. We got set up in our ground blind and Mathew asked who got te first shot. I said if it's a spike and it's close its all yours! A few minutes later I said, "here comes your spike"! Matthews first shot from 25 yards was far back but the buck went down. When he got a second shot, he put it right through the lungs. What a day!

25-Mar-15
I don;t mean to hyjack this great thread, but just had to comment.

Paul@thefort- I was born on KI Sawyer AFB less than 4 years after your picture was taken.(4/11/65) My dad was a dentist on the base. We moved off the base shortly after I was born, but I have heard many great stories of that special place!

25-Mar-15

loesshillsarcher's embedded Photo
loesshillsarcher's embedded Photo
Myself on the right with my best friend Rob. The year was 1986 and I had broken my collar bone playing football six weeks earlier.

• Sitka Gear