Bowfreak 10-Mar-15
huntmaster 10-Mar-15
Bou'bound 10-Mar-15
DC 10-Mar-15
onXmaps 13-Mar-15
TD 13-Mar-15
greenmountain 13-Mar-15
10-Mar-15
I am getting ready to purchase a GPS and have a couple of questions. Do you guys see any major problems with purchasing a refurbished GPS? I am more inclined to buy a new one but just wanted to pose this question. Also...they offer a 24K region map as an upgrade. Can someone explain this please? I plan on getting the OnXmaps for the states so is the 24K map needed? FWIW...I am not spending a ton on a GPS and based on recommendations from a good friend I will probably go with the eTrex 20.

10-Mar-15
24K is just detailed in size like the normal Topo maps we have all used for years...100K is much less detail and better for finding your way around while driving...almost all new GPS have some sort of base map..100K is typical. If you are truly getting OnXmaps, they are 24k and have a lot more info than the 24k base map. I am curious as to why you are willing to purchase $99.00 ONXmaps and then get about the smallest and cheapest GPS available?? I view my OnXmaps on a Montana 600 and often wish the color screen was even bigger yet....24k topo on an Etrex sized GPS requires younger eyes than I have !! LOL

Whatever, you will enjoy the technology.....

Joe

10-Mar-15
I buy referb they are 100% inspected and the have the same guaranty and a lot cheaper just buy from a dealer.

10-Mar-15
...Because I don't know anything about them and was going off of a recommendation. I don't need bells and whistles but not being able to see it well would be an issue. I have trouble with small cell phone screens so that is an issue.

10-Mar-15
I second wyliecoyote on screen size. I'd recommend at least looking at some different units side by side before purchasing. You don't really need the 24k upgrade, the chips give much more info like unit boundaries and public/private land ownership with owners names. However to take advantage of that information you have to be able to see it! The Montana 600 is an excellent unit but it is bigger than I wanted. I went with the Oregon 600 and love it. The e-trex is an excellent gps, I have one of the older models and it still works great. In the end its your cash and your decision so whichever you go with gps are super useful hunting tools. Take some time and learn to use your unit before hitting the backcountry and you will love it!

10-Mar-15
It seems like there are some good deals on refurbished Oregon 450 models. That gives the larger screen which is something I would need. Anyone have any experience with the 450 or something similar? I don't need the latest and greatest just something that does the job. I would prefer to spend $200 or less on a unit.

10-Mar-15
I have a 450t which I paid $299 new for. It works well but my gripe is that the touch screen sucks compared to a smart phone and the screen is not bright enough on sunny days.

I'm not sure how the 450 compared to the other models listed. Josh

10-Mar-15
OK. I am considering just using my phone. It seems like many are doing that and just having back up charging systems when they are in the backcountry. It may actually be a better option for me.

10-Mar-15
Bowfreak,

I was thinking that same thing as I was reading down the posts. Have you checked out the "Anyone use smart phone GPS" thread? It has a bunch of thoughts on the subject.

I'm partial and love using my phone.

10-Mar-15
I will sell a never used, but turned on to confirm it is in perfect working order, Garmin Oregon 600 for $299.00 plus $10 for shipping to your door. All cables, belt carabiner, instructions, manuals, etc. included in the box. Will throw in a couple new AA batteries for good measure.

It has the latest version of 2014 software update installed. I was given an Oregon 650 (the camera version) and now have no need for the new 600. It has never been out of my driveway. They are $400.00 retail at the stores.

10-Mar-15
I have bought refurbished camera's in the past and all have done well and I just bought a trolling motor. Just like new with same warrantee. All from the factory. Allot cheaper than new and just as good.

13-Mar-15
Hey all, Picking a GPS is a tough choice. Like wyliecoyote stated our HUNT chip by onXmaps has 24K topo so you would not need to buy a GPS unit with any topo maps. Here is a link to our blog post where picked out top 5 GPS units: http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/blog/best-top-5-gps-units-2015

As for the phone/GPS topic we also offer an app where you can change your basemaps from sat imagery to topo and many others. Plus you can create waypoints by using your camera on your phone. Here is a link to our app product: http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/hunting-app-for-android

Hope this helps a bit and if you have any questions feel free to contact us at [email protected]

13-Mar-15
If all you are going to do in mark waypoints and use it to walk back to camp or find places the smaller cheaper GPS will work just fine. You can use a laptop to do the heavy lifting and send waypoints to the GPS from it. Simply navigating to waypoints will work just fine.

If you want to make full use the onX chips in the field then look for something with a larger screen.

I liked the button units until I used a touchscreen unit for entering specific names for waypoints instead of trying to remember and relate a number/code or "typing" names for 10 minutes with a cursor and joystick. Now I'm sold on touchscreens.

Oh... helps a bunch if you play with the unit BEFORE you are out in the field on a hunt.... long story..... long night actually...

13-Mar-15
A refurbished unit is likely a unit that was purchased and returned. Often it was a gift that the recipient didn't want. It will be a good deal if you select a unit that fit your needs. I use mine to return to places in the woods. It is amazing how different a spot can look in the spring after visiting it often in the fall.

• Sitka Gear