Beendare 12-Mar-15
Nesser 12-Mar-15
CraigL 12-Mar-15
frenchbowhunter 12-Mar-15
Barty1970 17-Mar-15
wild1 17-Mar-15
ohiohunter 18-Mar-15
11-Mar-15
Looking at my 4th elk hunt this year. Am choosing between Slick Trick Magnums and G5 Striker Magnums. I really like the 1 1/2" cutting diameter of the G5 broadhead ... but wondering about flight out to 60 yards. My criteria ... in order are: 1) Accuracy to 60. 2) blood trail and 3) penetration.

I do like the slick tricks for the first and third criteria ... but that G5 seems to own #2. Can anyone comment on how accurate the G5 Striker Magnum is to 60 yards ... and also any experience/videos on how it penetrates?

11-Mar-15
I have been shooting the striker mag for the last few years. Shoots just like my field tips out to 60 yards. makes a huge hole.

11-Mar-15
Hands down I won't shoot anything other than the Slick Trick Mag 100. I've seen elk shot from every angle over the past few years die within seconds, penetration, blood, and accuracy are NOT an issue....

11-Mar-15
Bigdan ... besides your bow being tuned correctly, did you have to add more offset to your fletching to stabilize the flight?

11-Mar-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I shoot a 4inch 4 fletch vain with lots of helical with a rip cord rest

11-Mar-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I don't know how that photo got on my post I have never seen it before This is what I posted. I shot my Utah bull with a striker mag and I could hear the blood hitting the ground. I had never heard that before.

11-Mar-15
Shot 3 elk so far with G5 striker mags, worked great! Pass Thur on all and good blood. Farthest they have made it was about 60 yds. That said I do like st mags, just haven't shot an elk with them.

12-Mar-15
I have never shot the striker mags but have heard good things. With that said I have shot st mags 125 and have NO reason to switch to anything else unless I just get a wild hair just for the hell of it. Yes they are accurate out to 60 yards and not hard to tune. It boils down to personal preference neither is a "bad" choice.

12-Mar-15
I've killed deer with both of those heads. If I was choosing, criteria #1 would be the priority.

12-Mar-15
I tried both ST and G5. The quality control and finish of the G5 heads was horrible and I actually returned all the broadheads.

ST were sharper out of the box and spun perfect. Better quality for sure and the 4 blade will give plenty of blood to trail.

12-Mar-15
Been shooting Slick Tricks for a few year with great results. I just picked up 3 more packages on clearance at Walmart for $7 each!

12-Mar-15
That's a steal Mike! I'd have bought them all if they were the 125g mags

12-Mar-15
I have some strikers and they are crazy sharp, I also have some montecs which will only be shot at stumps and rabbits. SO when you say G5, be clear on which G5 you're dealing with so no one gets side ways.

If I draw an archery tag I'm going to put the magnum blades on the 100gr striker. I've read it works quite well and creates a 117gr BH.

12-Mar-15
Each will accomplish your three criteria. I have not shot the strikers so I am not qualified to speak to them.

I have shot the slick trick standards (not magnums) for the past 5 years. I shoot them regularly in practice out to 90 yards using a 3 fletch vane tec 2" HP (blazer type) vane with a 3 degree RHH off the AAE Mini on a 421 grain injexion arrow. They will group right with fieldpoints other than if there is a bit of a crosswind they will drift further than the FP.

Killed my Dall Sheep at 56 yds, mountain caribou at 63 yds and whitetail buck at 52 yds this fall. All were complete pass throughs. Bow is a Hoyt Faktor at 68 lbs with a short 27.5" draw ...

You cant go wrong. Shoot them both and go with what you have confidence in.

Good luck this fall!

Mark

12-Mar-15
Not a fan of that style head- I'll just leave it at that

12-Mar-15
Can't speak for the Stryker but slicks have worked outstanding for me. Saved me on a couple marginal hits for sure.

12-Mar-15
I bought 6 G5 Strykers and could only get 3 to spin test. I noticed 1 of the blades on each Broad head that wouldn't spin test was not seating all the way up into the head causing the blade to stick out from the bottom hitting the washer.

I returned them and went with the Slick Tricks.

12-Mar-15
Have used ST for years( 100gr, not magnum) and switched last year for G5 because of poor blood trials with ST. Mutch better with G5 Killed last year an alaskan moose ( 35 yards, 3/4 , 70# Z7 max)..arrow pass complitly the moose...never any penetration problem with all my other kills with G5(Broke 2 chamois spine with) I don't want to speak for Neil SUMMER, BSC, but i switched to G5 to follow his opinion...... My french bow dealer( number 1 ibow dealer n france) has the same opinion too. Anyway i don't think we can afford to say ST is a bad broahead.

17-Mar-15

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
I'm tuning my Faktor 34 with ST Magnum 125s...see the Equipment thread...almost shot a Robin Hood at 20 yards, and less than one minute of angle difference at 40+ yards between FPs and BHs

Good luck and good hunting!

17-Mar-15
How any one can get a BAD blood trail with either head is a mystery to me. If you put the BH where it's supposed to go, you'll get blood, and plenty of it. Having said that, I'm a big fan if ST 125 Mags, they just seem to work well with my set up. Always curious about other heads, but never see any reason to switch - stickin'' with what works for me.

18-Mar-15
I've seen a poor blood trail w/ a perfectly placed g5 monetecs, never again. Had the doe not only ran 20yds and dieing on a main trail I wouldn't have had a clue where she went. He also noted blood trail-S-... not a blood trail.

• Sitka Gear