trkyslr 11-Mar-15
orionsbrother 11-Mar-15
joehunter8301 11-Mar-15
APauls 11-Mar-15
Bob H in NH 12-Mar-15
ollie 12-Mar-15
OTT2 13-Mar-15
11-Mar-15
does one exist? Majority of the hunts I watch always show some calling then skip to he elk coming in. By doing this for viewers attention a lot of the calling sequence throughout the hunt in between including the pauses are removed. Does anybody know of any good elk videos that show a good hunt where they show majority if not all of the calling? I know some hunts are quick and with one or two calls a bull can run in but I would like to see a call-in on a bull that maybe takes minimum 15-20 minutes for the bull o commit from a further distance and what the hunter is doing/how he is calling? I think someone could learn from watching a hunt(s) like this with possible scenarios during the call-in sequence. Hope this is clear. So instead of a fast paced clip to clip hunt like a primos hunt id like to see a 15-30 minute hunt o one hunt and the calls and moves made to kill the bull.

11-Mar-15
that would likely be very boring to watch.

11-Mar-15
Chris...I'm lucky if I can start the camera before the shot.

Most of those run and gun scenarios involve multiple setups...you're more concerned with hunting than filming.

Also, the most successful callers I know will not call until they are within striking distance. I've called them in from a ways out, but it's usually more effective when you are inside a bull's "comfort zone".

True "elk aerobics" are tough to film!

Best of Luck, Jeff

11-Mar-15
straight arrow,, yes for some it may be but for some (like me) this could be useful information and is real world. There have been a few times I was wondering how much time in between calls I should let lapse before the next call, or should i move, etc. Some people study calling and can learn from what they see.

11-Mar-15
just get somebody who really know what they are doing to go hold your hand on a couple hunts....that will beat any taped stuff.

11-Mar-15
straight arrow dont need that as ive killed a few bulls but thanks for the positive response...just seeing if there was any other videod hunts that were more instructional then entertainment. i know experience is the best teacher but thought id ask.

11-Mar-15
Trk, I too think it would be a learning experience to watch all that unfold. Would be like bowhunters helping bowhunters. Not just ball busting another bowhunters.

11-Mar-15
Trust me this guy doesn't need anyone to hold his hand in the woods. I know Chris well and he is always trying to learn/evolve which is why he asked. SMH

11-Mar-15
Trust me this guy doesn't need anyone to hold his hand in the woods. I know Chris well and he is always trying to learn/evolve which is why he asked. SMH

11-Mar-15
It would likely be very different each situation. For instance, the same bull two weeks apart, or even a few days apart (heck, the next day), would react and be handled totally different. You don't know till you are moving in and find out what he's got and willing to loose or gain. If he's a liberal or a conservative. It's improvisation. One minute you have a plan, the next you doubt it. Then you say screw it, you don't kill em if you wait around. Then you think stop, slow down or lets back out. You may or may not call depending on which of the thoughts are screaming the loudest in your head and what you think he is doing.

If you are repeating what you saw on a video you will likely sound like a recording to him.

11-Mar-15
Jason I understand that and am not asking for that specifically.... just looking for some videos that better show maybe calls in response to certain bugles, time in between calls, etc.. just something a little more drawn out with calling that could be more instructional by someone who studies diff hunts. One video i think shows this better is the born and raised outdoor videos,, so asking maybe i theres more of these type of videos out there.

11-Mar-15
That interaction time can be exhilarating while in the moment, but would be EXTREMELY boring for viewers and you would lose their attention.(the goal in making videos is to keep viewer attention). Another thing is, recording memory is limited and battery life even more limited. You leave a camera running that whole encounter, you probably have no battery left and used up half your memory. Backcountry elk is even more critical. I try to make a battery last 3 or 4 days.

11-Mar-15
lol ok thought i would try.. guys disrgard this thread and let it die,, ill just continue to do what i do and kill and learn from my experiences. ;-)

11-Mar-15
For what it's worth, Chris, I'm with you. I'd find it interesting seeing different scenarios play out. I wouldn't be bored.

My wife says that I have issues though.

11-Mar-15
Will turkey season please get here already!!! :-)

11-Mar-15
Trk I've often thought the same thing. And then real bonus would be if a guy could explain his thoughts and why he is going to do what he is going to next. Like : oh man that bull responded like _______ so what I'm going to do now is ________ in hopes that he does _________. We can wish can't we?

12-Mar-15
It is fun to live, but would lose it all on TV, let's walk through ONE encounter I lived and loved:

Leave the truck in the dark, hiking, calling, nothing, hiking calling, nothing....repeat.

Call, get bugle back, not to far off. Stay silent, hear cow calls so rip a bugle, he comes back over the top. Repeat in a minute, now he's further away, but answering EVERYTHING.

Chat with guide, "I wonder if he's just pushing the cows to safety, then will come in". He continues to answer EVERYTHING we throw at him, getting further.

Finally we hear branches breaking etc. I setup on edge of clearing, guide heads away and starts his routine.

Bull crashes down the hill, ends up VERY close to me screaming, I can hear water gurgling in his stomach as he bugles. He's close, but in THINK stuff. He needs to come to the opening.

Guide continues screaming, sounds like he's stomping around, sounds like a cow and two bulls to my ears.

This standoff continues. Then the bull we called in got something wrong and just disappeared.

Get back with guide (who I couldn't see the entire time) and he says a small bull and cow came in from the other side.

Elapsed time: 60 minutes. Loved every second. Video entertainment value: close to 0.

12-Mar-15
People only care about seeing the "money shot."

13-Mar-15

OTT2's Link
trkyslr, Check out this link and give him a call. Most of his videos are instructional. He makes and sells calls. He also hunts in an area in Oregon that gets a ton of pressure from other hunters, and he can still get it done.

• Sitka Gear