wv_bowhunter 16-Mar-15
midwest 16-Mar-15
Nomad 16-Mar-15
Mad_Angler 16-Jun-15
'Ike' (Phone) 16-Jun-15
South Farm 16-Jun-15
kentuckbowhnter 16-Jun-15
13-Mar-15
Going to Southwest Colorado Sept. 21st through the 28th. Looking for packable rain gear and am considering Cabelas Rain Suede because of cost, quietness, & packability. Will this hold up for a trip or two?

13-Mar-15
This is how I would rate it:

Cost: C Great Sale: B+

Quietness: A

Packability: C

Durability: C+

Waterproof Ability: C-

The stuff I have is from a few years ago. I know some on here have had good experiences with it. It's OK for light/brief rain imo.

13-Mar-15
I have had mine for years and it has kept me dry, I don't see why it should not hold up for a trip or two with a little bit of care.

13-Mar-15
I've had two sets of Rain Suede. I used it as my outer layer for whitetail hunting. It would work, but I'd probably go with Space Rain, if you want packable rain gear from Cabela's. It's a fraction of the weight, and more packable. You probably don't need to wear it very often either, as passing showers seem to be more common than rainy days, at that time of year.

13-Mar-15
Is the Space Rain as quiet? That would be a huge factor for me.

13-Mar-15
In my opinion it is a type of gear that you can wear one day but it needs to dry the next or you will get more miserable by the day. It's not a good choice for constant all day, day after day, rain. If it doesn't rain a lot it you will be fine.

13-Mar-15
Packable rain wear is generally meant to be worn only during the rain event, where quietness is not of huge concern, to a point. If you want to wear it as general outerwear then quietness is more of an issue.

13-Mar-15
I have had a jacket for years. I have worn it in Newfoundland, the north east, Ontario, and southern Colorado. It has always worked well and never got wet because of it.

The only knock I have with it is when it gets really cold the material gets stiff. When stiff, it is noisier when you brush against things.

13-Mar-15
A little more info....will be going to a drop camp & doing hunts from there bringing a day pack. Is there a perfect set of rain wear that's affordable, quiet, packable? I like the Sitka but don't want to spend that amount of money on something I will not get a lot of use out of. Just something to pull out & stay dry & comfortable if needed.

Thanks for all the input so far!

13-Mar-15

Straight —» Arrow's Link
I have found that good rain gear and affordable rain gear are mutually exclusive.

There is another thread going on where everyone is swearing by Helly Hanson Impertech II which is pretty reasonably priced but I don't think you would want to hike around in it. I want something that is waterproof AND breathes really well.

Cabela's MT050 is pretty reasonable and a step up from the rain suede but I also classify it in the wear it one day in an all day rain and you need to dry it the next and wear your spare set of rain gear.

Personally I'm pretty sure the next rain gear I buy is going to be First Lite. I need to try it on somehow.

http://www.firstlite.com/boundary-stormtight-jacket.html

13-Mar-15
I used Rain Suede for several years with only one complaint. With both the parka and pants, they took up enough room in my pack that I'd end up leaving them in camp unless I knew it was going to rain or snow. Couple times I ended up regretting that decision.

I bought some Space Rain and really like it. Small enough it goes with me at all times. Not nearly as durable as the Rain Suede, but pretty tough having the best of all worlds without spending a fortune. Both have their pros and cons.

13-Mar-15
"I have found that good rain gear and affordable rain gear are mutually exclusive."

Yeah I hear you there! Just trying to be as frugal as I can. I hunt, fish, play music, ride a Harley, own a home & have a wife....none of which are cheap now days!

;)

13-Mar-15
I wore it for a week Caribou hunting. The coat was on and off but the paints I wore all day all week. We would have rain off and on all day all week. I was able to dry it out each night and it kept me dry. I would use it again for that kind of hunt but its not very packable.

13-Mar-15

13-Mar-15
Not packable for me...def kept me dry...but got kind of stiff once temps got cold below freezing.

13-Mar-15
I use the space rain. It is not totally silent, but I think it is perfect for light weight packable rain gear. Bulky/heavy stuff gets left at camp, then I need it, and it does no good at camp. That rain suede takes forever to dry in the backcountry, not for me. My space rain takes a shake or two and back into my pack.

I wouldn't use it for a week long hunt in AK, but it is great for September in the elk mountains.

--Jim

13-Mar-15
I like mine. If you go lighter, you generally go more fragile (example space rain). I have had 2 sets and they usually last me 5-6 years. I would tear up a pair of space rain pants in a couple of days. I think rain suede is a decent compromise. Of course you can pay $500 for a set that is better, but not really worth the trade off.

13-Mar-15
Cabelas Rain Suede water proof didn't last me long about 1 year. I found ReviveX waterproof soak and it brought the suede back to life. Water runs off and never been soak yet. The suede is hot when going up and down mountains but what rain gear isn't.

James

13-Mar-15
I used rain suede last time I was in Colorado on a drop camp hunt. We got rained on during the horseback ride in. It took 3 days to dry. When I got home I bought Marmont Precip jacket & pants. Noisy but like stated above the idea is to keep you dry during a heavy rain. Hope this helps!

13-Mar-15
I had the rain suede.. I ended up getting a set of the Kuiu Yukon. I figure then i can run a 3 piece layer system instead of 4.. Its very quiet

13-Mar-15
I'm with Mr Treeman. I have a bunch of rain gear, including the suede, various Goretex and Dry Plus and other laminates. The only thing I carry anymore for hunting and scouting (and backpacking) is the Space Rain top and bottom. So small and light it is always in my packs. Has saved my bacon more than once. Its plenty durable for CO terrain unless you're plunging through oak brush. If it tears, duct tape fixes it.

Rain gear is worthless back in camp. What may start out as blue sky and warm can turn into a killer rain and hail storm quickly.

14-Mar-15
Thanks for all the input! Looks like Space Rain might be the ticket....will go look at some.

14-Mar-15
Anything can happen but for the most part during a SEP archery hunt you should not experience a lot of rain. The Marmont Precip is very light and will keep you dry. I have used it for several years now.

16-Mar-15
I have owned both Rain Suede and Rain Space for many years. The Rain Space is much better for backcountry/packing. Suede too heavy and bulky. I bought the Suede (very similar to MT50) before Space was available. Mostly use the Suede now for field hunting waterfowl only. Both are good but Space not nearly as durable...but it stretches so for its light weight not bad. Have ripped a pair of the pants before. Quiet enough for bow hunting too, no problems. Take your pick based on priorities...I'll take lightweight/compact anyway for CO in fall. Prob won't need it much in high country anyway in Sept.

16-Mar-15
So... Like most other hunting clothing there is some rain gear that is better for western spot and stalk hunting in the mountains and some better for treestand hunting for whitetails....

16-Mar-15
Space Rain....used it a lot last season. ALWAYS in the pack. Light weight, packs down to the size of a pop can, not too noisy, and dries quick.

16-Mar-15
Thanks guys....checked it out & bought the Space Rain...on sale even!

16-Jun-15
Any more opinions?

16-Jun-15
Good, but better out there, as pointed out...Also, are you going to use it for more than just this hunt? That can make a difference right there...

16-Jun-15
I have some, love it, nice and quiet/light, but the snaps on the ankles don't hold up...they snap too tightly and when I try to unsnap them they pull right through the material. Other than that good stuff.

16-Jun-15
I have had three or four pieces of rain suede from cabelas and everyone of them sucked. go gortex. all the cabelas gore tex products I have are excellent.

• Sitka Gear