Mathews Inc.
Plan B: Idaho or Montana?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Ed 13-Mar-15
JTreeman 13-Mar-15
13-Mar-15
I'm an idiot and did not apply to Wyoming this year and likely not getting drawn in AZ, NM, or UT. So I'm formulating a plan B. Myself and two others are considering an OTC Idaho Tag or one of the leftover general tags in Montana. Never been to either state but have been doing research like crazy, looking at maps, hunt success, and reading as many posts as I can find.

I liked the Idaho smokey zone because it looked like we could move around somewhat easily if you were not finding elk. But still distance yourself from roads. We were planning on packing in from the truck 2-4 days at a time until we find elk, kill some, or run out of time.

During the past week I've been looking hard at Montana. I like that you can hunt any general unit. The terrain looks more suitable to hunting from a base camp and moving around to find elk. Also, I have a buddy who lived in Missoula for 20 years (gun hunter), who has been giving me some intel of region 2 and 3.

I'm looking for opinions and this is the best place I could think to ask.

Thanks

Ed

13-Mar-15
I have little first hand knowledge of either. But I will say if you have first hand knowledge (well, I guess second hand) of areas in Montana that may be a better bet. I like having some idea when going in. Even if it is just some starting points, it can be extremely helpful.

If you want to hunt with your friends in ID, certainly nothing wrong with that! Good luck either way.

--Jim

• Sitka Gear