IveGotGas 20-Mar-15
oldgoat 21-Mar-15
swede 21-Mar-15
trophyhilll 08-Apr-15
SoDakSooner 08-Apr-15
TD 08-Apr-15
ixsolracxi 08-Apr-15
17-Mar-15
I was wondering what you guys consider the best elk calls and makers of these calls.

17-Mar-15
Berry for a Bugle call. I understand is cow calls are also very good.

17-Mar-15
I like the Berry Thunder Bugle. For cow calls I use the Berry Sleazy and the E.L.K Cow Talk.

17-Mar-15
I often hunt a lot of call shy elk and in areas where the bull to cow ratio is low. Aggressive loud bugling seldom works.

Jones calls makes a bugle called the Pursuader that I have had good success with in my areas.

For cow sounds I use a mix of calls from various reeds internal and external of the mouth, as well as the hoochie mama which some joke about - I have had good success with it.

I have listened to a lot of elk over the years and they make some unusual noises. there are a lot of good calls available today. the type and timing of the elk sound is more important imo than a perfect pitch.

17-Mar-15
Everyone has their own opinion on what's the "best". Some prefer external reed, some prefer the push style like the Hoochie Mama, while others prefer diaphragms. Best thing to do is try different styles/models until you find your favorite(s).

IMO, the diaphragm is by far the "best", due to it's versatility and hands-free use. Even with diaphragms, there's a lot of variety. Some have metal palate plates, some have plastic domes, while others are just flat. You can also choose between single, double, or triple reed. Find the one(s) that sound the best, and are most comfortable for you to use. Personally, I prefer the palate plate style diaphragms from Bugling Bull, but what works and feels the best for me, may or may not be the best choice for you.

Whichever you decide, I agree with Elkhntr. No doubt, it's important to sound realistic with your calling. That can't be overstated. However, IMO it's even more important to know when, and when not, to call.

17-Mar-15
Many times the best public land call is the one you keep in your pack.

I like Bugling Bull palate plate style. For external reed, I like the little wood ones made by Trinity Game calls. They produce a nice mellow raspy sound that plastic calls just don't quite have.

For bugling, I voice bugle, but also use the Bugling Bull and Berry calls. Commercial external reed bugles sound great, but mostly sound the same every time. It's tough to get good moans and whines out of the ones I've tried. That's where a diaphragm shines.

As Wyo notes, everybody has a different shaped palate, different tolerance for "gag reflex", different way of manipulating their tongue. What works for me may not work for you.

17-Mar-15
I use Berry calls myself the double green reed. And the thunder bugle is one that everyone can use.

18-Mar-15
I'm with Jaquomo on the palate plate style diaphragms but I prefer the Primos Imperial Plate.... their red one, for bugles.

Any tube with a big bell on the end for depth is ok. I use an Elknut Chuckler and love it. He makes an external reed version too.

18-Mar-15
It isn't the call or the call maker that counts, but rather the caller himself. A good caller can make just about anything work. And they can make just about any elk sound with only one diaphragm call.

Of course, everyone has their favorites. And this thread will more than likely get guys to tell you what works best for them personally. Not necessarily what may actually be the best.

Diaphragm calls are cheap. Buy several different ones and find the one that works best for you. And don't get all strung out on $30-$40 dollar grunt tubes just because they have a neat sounding name when a $4 dollar WalMart toilet stool plunger works just as well.

18-Mar-15
WW... haha, so true. Is that a used plunger or preferably a new one? ;-) Or one of those jumbo wiffle ball bats is perfect too right.

Once you do find the right fit in a diaphragm buy several because they not only dry out, get stretched etc but they are also easy to lose. Having at least 3 at the beginning of a hunt is a good idea.

18-Mar-15
I just went in the bathroom and tried the toilet plunger but it sounded sort of crappy. My wife gave me a funny look.

I tried a different style in the other bathroom but kept gagging on the wooden handle. Good thing there's a few months left to practice.

18-Mar-15
whatever you do, don't pop a diaphragm call in your mouth just after charging up a 1000' ridge or you might swallow it on the deep inhale.

Best thing about internal diaphragm is you can practice without getting all the dogs in the neighborhood riled up.

18-Mar-15
Jaquomo: Crappy??? Maybe you blew on the wrong end of it. ROFLMAO!!!!

19-Mar-15
Primos Ivory Palate Plate... Not sure if it's the best but it's been in my mouth for 12 of 14 bulls... Really like Jacobsen's calls but call me superstitious; I always go back to the white one from Primos..

19-Mar-15
I found that the bugle tubes with the big bells or wiffle bats loose volume. Sounds good up close when you chuckle. But I go back to my 2 ft 2 inch dia tube every year.

19-Mar-15
I have used many different types of diaphragm calls from cheap no name to the big name brand ones and have been using the Berry brand on the recommendation of Bigdans posts. The Primos diaphragms have worked well for me also.

For a cow call I use a diaphragm and the Primos hyper lip.

Like stated above knowing when to call, what sound, volume and consistency has to be learned in the field. Good luck and stay away from the bathroom implements:)

19-Mar-15

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
My lucky bugles have all been chewed up by this dog. Allow the dog to chew the bell about in half and you're good to go :) She will come chew all your stuff for a fair price

20-Mar-15
Primos Imperial (red) and Ivory palate plates are my favorites. I've used several others but always go back to those two. Lately I've gotten a couple Imperial plates that didn't work and I don't know what the deal is, hopefully their quality control isn't slipping.

Also, while I'm a pretty decent caller and can make a wide range of sounds with the palate plates I can't for the life of me get the plastic dome diaphragms to work.

20-Mar-15
Im the opposite Mike, I have a small pallet. Often I have to trim the side material to fit and the domes just fit comfortably in the roof of my mouth. The all-star is a nice soft sounding diaphragm.

20-Mar-15
That's funny James because the closest thing to an elk sound I can get out of the all-star is the frustrated scream that I make when I can't make a sound with it!

I guess it's not the first time having a big mouth has caused me problems! LOL

I think the lesson here for those who say they can't use a diaphragm call is to try multiple styles and brands before they give up. Luckily for me I started with the Primos Palate plates and they worked right off the bat and I believe I'm an above average caller with them. If I would have started with the plastic dome reeds (alhough they didn't exist yet) I would have thought that I can't use a diaphragm call.

20-Mar-15
Tony Jones @ Bitterroot custom calls does an excellent job. www.bitterrootcustomcalls.com

21-Mar-15
I'm not a successful elk killer by any stretch of the imagination but I'm getting pretty good at calling them in! I've tried a number of different diaphragm calls and a lot of them sound great right out of the package but the latex reed wears out fast. I keep ending up with one of the chartreuse colored primos signature series calls with the colored latex in it, I think the latex is red. They seem to last the whole season for me or close to it and fit my palate well and I can make a wide variety of calls at all different volumes and tones.

21-Mar-15
I have not tried the toilet plunger call, but I agree with what has been stated before. WW is right on. I started using Glacier Country Hunting Calls (Troy Bungee's calls) a couple of years ago and find them to be very good. They are easy to make a good sound with. I especially like the Orange Enrager.

08-Apr-15
my vote goes to Jason Phelps for mouth reeds. love the Carlton externals and the Temptress

08-Apr-15
All my stuff is bugling bull right now. Have a couple of the palate plate reed calls(I can't make the tone tops work right), the temptress and Bully Bull extreme grunt tube(although didn't use that one much at all this year)

Could never get Primos diaphragms to work. Many years ago I had a Hoochie Mama and it actually did get quite a few responses.

08-Apr-15

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
I think Pat has the patent on the plungergrunt tube....

Elknut had a good series of whiffle bat tubes... I need all the help I can get.

Berry diaphragms are good. I like the flex frames and the x-reed, pretty versatile, an easier to use double/triple reed. Get good life out of them before they're all blown out, better than most.

08-Apr-15
would have to say the best call is the one you are best with...it boils down to practice, practice AND PRACTICE...there isn't a "wonder" call out there...you gotta know how to respond to a call in the wild...as for what I prefer...Rockies diaphragms hand down (because that is what I practice with, feels good in my mouth and prefer), either a Rockies or Elknut tube...I don't bugle much other than to locate but I concentrate my efforts on cow calling...buy and experiment with different tubes, externals and diaphragms to find out what works best for you...

• Sitka Gear