Mule Power 18-Mar-15
IdyllwildArcher 18-Mar-15
R. Hale 18-Mar-15
Z Barebow 18-Mar-15
Bigdan 18-Mar-15
jst.pursuit 18-Mar-15
TD 19-Mar-15
17-Mar-15
I am doing my first elk hunt in Montana this fall and will be there from September 12th through the 25th. I am need of more gear and would like to know what to expect/prep for this time of year. I currently have a good set of Lowa boots that I purchased last year. I also have the Sitka Ascent Pants, Core Long Tee, Traverse Hoody and Kelvin Vest. Last year I did a hunt in Wyoming for antelope and got caught in 20 degree temps with 8 inches of snow and was not prepared for it since it was 97 the day we arrived.

Basically I have been in a situation where I was under prepared for the weather last year and don't want to repeat that this year. Any insight on weather and gear for this trip would be appreciated!

17-Mar-15
+1 Paul. If its just day hunts, 2 wool layers and a shell are all I ever pack. Backcountry is more of a gamble and a quality layering system should always a part of your pack. A moreno long underwear top, moreno t-shirt, wool sweatshirt, packable down jacket and rain shell has worked well for me here. Good luck on your hunt... prime dates!

17-Mar-15
You don't say where in MT you'll be hunting elk. However, be prepared for anything as that is realistically what you can expect in MT mountains in September....

Good luck!

Mark

17-Mar-15
I always carry the same clothes during archery season unless I know a cold front with snow is coming. I take a merino t-shirt, long sleeve merino, camo top, and vest. I carry a puffy and rain gear in my pack. On backpack hunts I will throw a merino bottom in too.

18-Mar-15
September 10th last year, above 7000 feet, the Big Belts had 10 inches of snow and night time temps of 12 degrees. September 20th 2012 the same camp saw day time highs in the eighties.

18-Mar-15
Sounds like you have pretty much everything that is needed. Exactly what has been said, above. The layered approach . . . . . a good base layer of merino wool, a long sleeve camo shirt, a camo vest, and an outer lighter cmao coat (as a waterproof shell) and you should be fine. The warm clothing under the waterproof shell is really the clothing that will keep you warm, if it comes to it. As the temps get warmer or cooler, you can take layers off or add them as needed.

It will also depend on where in Montana you are hunting. Say eastern MT or the Mtns. Good choice on boots . . . . you might consider gaiters.

18-Mar-15
During those dates in the Bitterroot last year we got 8 inches of wet slushy snow. Pretty miserable. Two clients left early which says a lot.

Hope for the best... prepare for the worst. Words to live by when dressing and camping to elk hunt.

18-Mar-15
your biggest threat will be rain or snow, get some good stuff to keep dry, 20 degree's is probably going to be the coolest you will see.. get a spare pair of boots when they get really soaked they take a while to dry out,

18-Mar-15
On those date I've experienced above 90 and below 20! Rain and Snow! Be prepared for all of it!

18-Mar-15
What everyone said. I've seen over 80 and sunny drop to teens and snow the same night. I've never experienced much rain but you could. One day the wind was howling so hard that you could hardly stand up and it was COLD

18-Mar-15
It's easy to strip off layers or leave them at camp if you don't need them on a particular day but not so easy to add them if you don't have them!

What's that Boy Scout motto again?

18-Mar-15
Gays are welcome.

18-Mar-15
Ike,

Not sure that is the one he was looking for. Too funny..

18-Mar-15
You can get frostbite on your sunburn.

18-Mar-15
One thing about Montana weather. It changes every day. I shot a wt buck a few years ago wearing a long sleeve T shirt in my tree stand. The next morning I went to get it and it was -10.

18-Mar-15
Thanks for the replies. I guess that I will just pack for the worst and hope for the best!

19-Mar-15
Damn Idyll.... yur killin' me again.... heheheh.... too good...

What Bigdan and others said. Only hunted a few times there but those dates in the Breaks I've hunted in 90 degrees and in the snow. (snow was actually better than rain, gumbo-wise....) Don't need a lot of clothes, but layers. Merino wool bases to start with.

• Sitka Gear