timbo 01-Apr-15
Hunter42 03-Apr-15
IdyllwildArcher 04-Apr-15
Retired-11-2000 04-Apr-15
Jim Leahy 07-Apr-15
17-Mar-15
What is a good outfitter for elk?

18-Mar-15
Sorry guys but this is for a bow hunt, I have 11 points and if anyone else has a better unit I should look at I would much appreciate the info. I have never hunted Colorado for elk. thanks

18-Mar-15
Have you ever hunted elk? If so, you likely won't need an outfitter in 76. The unit has a TON of elk. Its extremely steep country though so get in shape. Good luck!

18-Mar-15
Try Frazier Outfitting, used him for a drop camp years ago.

18-Mar-15
San Juan Outfitters out of Durango, or T Mike Murphy out of Durango. Also look into the outfitter that took over Dirk Rosses outfitting out of Bayfield when Dirk died in 1995. Most outfitters can go into 76 on day permits, they just can't be in one camp spot longer hen 10 days. Several outfitters I know will go in though different areas, but the ones from Durango and here, Pagosa Springs, go way in around Ute Creek and the Pyramid! If an outfitter you contact don't know about the Pyramid, find another outfitter!! Once you've been 12 to 14 miles into the Nuche, you'll know what Gods country looks like. You'll see a lot of elk, but don't expect to see 340" bulls behind every tree. Like I tell everyone going into 76, don't pass up a 300" bull, cause you might not see bigger. Also, we've had a bad late winter, high snow amounts, and I don't know what that did to the elk.

18-Mar-15
+2 on San Juan outfitters. Among the best I've hunted with

18-Mar-15
You really don't need a outfitter for 76,lots of Elk all over just get a map and have at it. That's what we did about 15 years ago when it took 2 points

18-Mar-15
Lots of changed in 15 years, elk numbers are down. Private message trackman, he hunted 76 hard last year and he can tell you things.

18-Mar-15

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
Gods country

I agree with OTC Will- we were covered up in elk with multiple screaming bulls close every single day in U76- great unit....though if you want a 350 plus you will want to look elsewhere.

19-Mar-15
Beendare, Think I 've been to that exact spot. If you know Roy his camp is just off to the right.

19-Mar-15
Sammy F, there was another guy who has taken the CO big 8 almost twice with bow? His area is just south of sammy f, I forget his name?

19-Mar-15
Tracker, I don't normally like to post pics with such distinct landmarks...but I will never hunt that unit again in my lifetime.

I've heard most of the trees are gone from that spot...hit pretty hard in the fire....probably only made it better!

19-Mar-15

Jim Leahy's embedded Photo
I hunted 75 just south of that 76 which butts up to it. Its great country and I did manage a 311 (327) gross in 2010- but that is not the Norm for that zone. It raised allot of eyebrows and had allot of mass. I know this is a bow site- but I shot it with my 30-06! 1st Rifle do it yourself trail head hunt.

19-Mar-15
did not San Juan Outfitters sell this past year?

20-Mar-15
Beendare My thoughts to about never getting to hunt there again. Wish I could.

20-Mar-15
Is that elk missing a brow tine Jim?

20-Mar-15
No- if you look close you can see it- it was shorter than the right side by about 3 inchs and slopes down a little.

20-Mar-15
I cut my teeth Elk hunting in the Weminuche before it was a draw unit. Also drew tags on 3 occasions afterwards. Like some of you doubt I will ever hunt it again due to point creep. Absoloutely is my all time favorite place to chase Elk. Have not been back since the fires. Does anyone know if it burned all the way up to Ruby Lakes, Upper Tx Creek and all that area over to Little Squaw ?

20-Mar-15

Wrong picture! Here is my son with the picture-he didn't have a tag or else I would have let him shoot it- I laughed when 4 hours into the hunt he was bored and painted his face! He was a huge help in packing this animal 2 miles from the trailhead out of a blow down hell hole.

20-Mar-15
TK, you can get a burn map pretty easy online. The edge of the burn is very near/in those areas

01-Apr-15
Sammy Frazier without hesitation, used him last year on a semi guided hunt during first week of archery, tag out on day two on 300 plus bull.

01-Apr-15

timbo's embedded Photo
timbo's embedded Photo
This 300 plus satellite bull was bugling back and forth across the a ridge at tree line. Other bigger elk were also bugling but the wind was wrong and he sounded big enough. I gave chase and closed within 35 yards while he was bugling and raking a tree. I stuck him with an arrow and I gave out the worst ever cow calls and he came back. I practiced cow calling but in the moment the sound that came off the reed would make you fall over in tears of laughter. I watched him for about 30 seconds and he dropped. When I departed for this hunt and after eating 7 tags in OTC units I was prepared to arrow the first legal elk that came into range. But after watching 14 bull elk come down off the mountain, each one bigger than the next, the evening before opening day I thought other wise. I need mention to get into position to chase this elk entailed one long hike from camp up over one very steep mountain and a slow slide on my butt down a cliff like slope of loose rock to get upwind and behind the elk. Bring good stiff soled hiking boots.

I was on a semi guided elk hunt which means that Sammy dropped me off at his camp six miles off the nearest road with a cook in training and a satellite phone. My preference was to hunt on my own with contracted support to pack out my quartered and game bagged elk. For a first time elk hunter on a once in a once in a life time Colorado Elk hunt with 11 preference points and zero experience hunting elk in Colorado I recommend you contract for a guide. If Sammy's guides are half as good as his horses you will be in good hands. 76 is a limited draw unit and has some of the best elk hunting in Colorado, especially Sammy's unit.

03-Apr-15
how many points does it take to draw archery unit 75 or 76

04-Apr-15
75 is OTC.

76, if you have zero points right now, will take you about 21 years to draw with current point creep.

04-Apr-15
Like hunting 66, right next door and not as many points.

07-Apr-15
in 21 years- wont be able to climb or elk hunt- so will stick with my unit 75 and head for rough terrain until I cant climb anymore-good luck on the draw everyone.

• Sitka Gear