ohiohunter 19-Mar-15
butcherboy 19-Mar-15
TD 20-Mar-15
gil_wy 20-Mar-15
Cazador 20-Mar-15
butcherboy 20-Mar-15
Jason Scott 20-Mar-15
18-Mar-15
Will using the yellow ammonia stain my skull? I've been having a hard time finding clear, but every store seems to sell the lemon flavored yellow kind.

I don't want to cancel out my degreasing by leaving it stained....

18-Mar-15
I use it and have never staining in dozens of heads...

18-Mar-15
Sounds good, thanks for the info.

19-Mar-15
Have never used that ammonia.... but trust in gil.

19-Mar-15
You guys using ammonia to bleach white, or just to degrease... Thanx

19-Mar-15
Just degreasing, I will bleach it afterwards with the beauty salon peroxide.

19-Mar-15
I have boiled many deer skulls, then used the taxidermy supply store stuff mixed with hydrogen peroxide from the drug store with good results. I have never used soap or anything to degrease.

>>>>-------->

19-Mar-15
If you're working on a bear or pig (or javelina) skull you will most certainly need to degrease using some sort of solvent. Most guys use ammonia, dawn detergent, acetone or even white gas. To whiten (after degreasing, which takes months for the "greasy" species), just peroxide and the sun.

19-Mar-15
Which is the best degreaser?

19-Mar-15
ohio -

I'm not sure there is a best degreaser because each skull is different and results could vary among the same species (using the same degreaser). Having said that, I think the process and the length of time you degrease is just as important. Most guys don't degrease long enough, they think if it looks clean, then it must be degreased - only to find out months later, when the oil(s) start to show up, that they didn't degrease long enough. Six months minimum for bears and hogs/javelinas.

I've had good luck with a mixture of water and dawn detergent, and water and acetone, then back to water and dawn. Repeat. Warm water in the mixtures helps also (I heat the water with an aquarium heater).

19-Mar-15
I've been simmering my elk heads in dawn soap. Seems like I simmer them forever. I also just started applying the peroxide while the skull is still damp. I was told this will help leach out some more of the grease. I also like to use liquid peroxide in a spray bottle to get the nose good and deep.

I've seen grease resurface, but the last head I did the damp peroxide trick and so far so good. I had a noticeable thumb size spot of grease by the antler that I was able to pull out.

19-Mar-15
Buy the Ammonia from Ace Hardware. It is industrial strength. Use in combination with dawn soap and warm water. change out water when it turns murky and repeat. Ammonia, soap, warm water, and time.

20-Mar-15
butcherboy x2

High concentration industrial stuff. Helps that they are across the street from me and I have an account with them.... =D

I think the warm water is a BIG part of it all. Grease is very temperature sensitive. My understanding is the ammonia and heat releases the grease, the dawn soap emulsifies it.

Time is huge. Gotten to the point now I tell folks up front to figure on months, not weeks. If they are in some hurry and are going to harass me, PLEASE take it somewhere else. Won't hurt my feelings one bit, I don't need to be doing this. But I WILL put out a quality head that will look as good in 20 years as it does now.

Be patient.... it's dead already... not going anywhere...

20-Mar-15
This^^^^^

20-Mar-15
Whitetail and Elk I use Dawn soap. To make it white, 1/4 cup bleach in bucket of water, enough water to cover head but not the horns. Leave it for about 12 to 24 hours, then rinse and leave in the sun for 2 to 3 days.

20-Mar-15
I should also add that after degreasing I let the skull dry for about 1-2 weeks to see if any grease is still in there. You can see it because the skull will have an almost "translucent" look to it where the grease is still in the bone. It may even appear a little different in color at spots. If it does have this then degrease again until it's all out. When I whiten the skull I simply submerge the skull up to the base of the pedicles in 34% hydrogen peroxide for 24-30 hours. I wrap white paper towels around the pedicles and top of head where the peroxide doesn't cover. Most of the time the burrs are whitened some as well so I simply recolor those places then seal the head with satin polyacrylic or paraloid 72.

WARNING! the 34% hydrogen peroxide is a lot stronger than the beauty salon stuff. I order mine in 55 gallon drums from a chemical supply company and DO NOT recommend this strong of peroxide for the beginner or diy guys.

20-Mar-15
Peroxide can be dangerous in high concentrations. If you want to entertain the neighborhood drop a penny in that 55 gal drum of peroxide and run.

• Sitka Gear