ROUGHCOUNTRY 02-Apr-15
ROUGHCOUNTRY 02-Apr-15
ohiohunter 02-Apr-15
ROUGHCOUNTRY 02-Apr-15
Straight Shooter 02-Apr-15
28-Mar-15

Straight Shooter's embedded Photo
I was in Provo for a Nutrition and Dietitian conference last week and had one "free" day to look for elk sheds. I did a lot of research before I left to give me the best opportunity to get lucky. Put in 9-10 miles and got very fortunate glassing these from across the canyon. Didn't realize it was a pair until I made it over to the mark. I also spotted 7 elk, 5 bulls while watching them get up to feed. I showed my wife the pictures of where I was when I glassed the sheds and she couldn't believe how far away they were. Good luck to everyone this season!!!!

DJ

28-Mar-15

Where they lay, glassing from second highest ridge.

28-Mar-15

29-Mar-15
Sweet!

29-Mar-15
Good for you as it made your trip even better.

Good luck, Robb

29-Mar-15
What a great trip..congrats!

Mark

29-Mar-15
very cool and great glassing to find them.

29-Mar-15
Thanks guys, it may take me a couple more years to draw the unit, but it's always fun when you get to hike in the mountains. Glassing is the key, unless you know the area really well, glassing beats wearing out boot leather. Planning to take the family out next year for Spring Break!

DJ

29-Mar-15

MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo
MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo

My kids went shed hunting and scouting with me. No sheds but these are the most cows I've ever seen in this NW Colorado unit. Normally all we see are large bulls. These small bulls were still carrying horns, look at the bull on the right's right horn- a freak.

29-Mar-15
MathewsMan, When was this picture taken? The 5 bulls I spotted had a nice start with their new headgear. The bull on the right looks like he dropped his other side??

DJ

29-Mar-15
A good question was asked in a PM and I thought I should mention it. It was asked if you need a license in UT to collect sheds? The answer is no, but you do need to take the online course for shed hunting, followed by a 24 question test. Then you print the permit and carry on your person, I was actually stopped and asked if I had one.

DJ

30-Mar-15
Photo was taken Saturday March 28th.

Look close at the bull on the right, his horn comes off and down and then hooks up by the cows head next to it.

31-Mar-15

Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Picked up my first set of the year yesterday. Found one other 6 point and a smoking mule deer shed. Still a lot of bulls packing.

31-Mar-15
Nice work, put up the mule deer shed.

DJ

31-Mar-15
What do u do with them? Im in Ct and use whitetail sheds for the custom lamps I make.

31-Mar-15
Here is one thing I did, really has been bleached out by the sun. I have others along with deer sheds laying around waiting for my basement to be finished. Would be interested to see how the lamps turned out.

DJ

31-Mar-15

01-Apr-15

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
On-line shed hunting course? Good grief......

On a lighter note, still seeing most bulls packing in my areas......I did find this nice 8x7 set from last year in very good shape.

01-Apr-15
That's a real nice set for having a year of "sun bake". Most should be dropping any day now. Nice job.

DJ

01-Apr-15
Roughcountry, the online course is about 20 really easy questions designed to prevent harassing or stressing of wildlife by shed hunters from around Feb through the middle of April when they can be the most vulnerable coming out of winter. It isn't a big deal, and the certificate is free. Beyond April 15 I believe there is no requirement for the course.

Nice sheds.

01-Apr-15
Sweet baby James!

02-Apr-15

I guess the 20 questions doesn't sound as bad as I thought, also thought it was another revenue generator.

Went out yesterday and found some brown antler finally. It started out nice and a sudden snow storm had me socked in about 3 miles from my truck.......ah, Montana.

02-Apr-15

Then the weather turned.........

02-Apr-15
Thats an awesome haul of beautiful brown.... I'm stoked, going on a short camping/shed hunting trip this weekend.

02-Apr-15

It was pretty epic walking off the Mountain with the "Full Moon" looming overhead and a pack full of antler.

By the way, A giant "Blood Moon" and solar eclipse will appear Easter Sunday around 4:48 a.m.

02-Apr-15
Hey RC, nice haul! The online course is good and not a revenue generator, but you still need 100% to get your permit. Good hunting everyone.

DJ

• Sitka Gear