IaHawkeye 31-Mar-15
razor 31-Mar-15
huntingbob 31-Mar-15
boschman158 31-Mar-15
Jeremiah 01-Apr-15
midwest 01-Apr-15
Bowhunter374 05-Apr-15
29-Mar-15
So let's say you have $1000 and you need a day pack, a pack for hauling meat, and a GPS. Which three do you buy and why?

29-Mar-15
You dont need $1000 for these 3 items.

Daypack - Eberlestock or Badlands - $200

Meat pack - Kelty Cache Hauler - $125

GPS - Garmin 62st - $300 [on sale]

Total - $625

29-Mar-15
Right-on, if you got a G to spend you can pretty much get anything you want with-in reason ;)

If you are willing to use one pack as a hauler/daypack you can go top of the line, kifaru, MR, Stone Glacier, Exo, Kuiu, etc. those can all be had in the $6-700 range (or less). That leaves you $3-400 for gps. You can pick up a Garmin Oregon 400 for way less than that if you watch the sales.

You've got great choices if you have that cash to spend. Makes the choices a lot harder!

Good luck, have fun shopping.

--Jim

29-Mar-15
Been using the daypack and separate pack for hauling meat combo for years...but I've finally learned my lesson. Going with a Kifaru meat hauler that condenses down into daypack mode instead. Going to make that first trip out (following a kill) count from now on!

So to answer your question....100% agree with Jim's post above.

29-Mar-15
JT nailed it!

I have kuiu ultra in both 1850 and 6000. Loving it and the Oregon is good to go as well.

Have fun.

29-Mar-15
Given that:

A) Most hunters hunt within a mile or so of their vehicle,

and

B) All bowsiters are hunters,

then

Why all the fuss about $700 packs? I know, maybe all the wilderness hunters who are built like Navy Seals come here, but really ... there are some very popular and successful methods of hunting that don't require them.

(Disclaimer: I really am just jealous, and wish I had a use for one of the upper-end packs. I'll admit it. But, still ...)

I'm into decreasing my load lately. I wear a simple fanny pack while elk hunting. I sacrifice the "first trip out" because almost all of my "first trip out"s are empty, and when they're not, well, I look at that as an extension of the adventure, if not of the season itself.

The pay-off, for me, is that I don't have a sweaty back, getting stinky under a non-breathing pack, and I have no incentive to get carried away with too much gear on my daily hunts.

29-Mar-15

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
You don't need a separate daypack and a meat hauler.

Kifaru bikini or duplex, $376

cargo panel, $140

light back pouch 1000ci, $36

Garmin GPS, $300

The setup above is a Bikini frame, 750 ci long pocket, and a GENII meat bag. $450 total.

29-Mar-15
To a degree I agree with John above, but I am a local and have ordered one of the expensive packs that are super light weight with a meat shelf built in between the frame and pack. (Exo Mtn Gear 5500) I have come to the realization that getting an elk ready to pack, then having to walk all the way back to the truck to get the pack frame and walk back is a huge waste of time and much needed energy.

These new packs are weighing less then 6 lbs and offer great support under large loads and double as a day pack. I hate having to walk back to the truck empty handed to come all the way back in to start the pack out...

29-Mar-15
If you make more than one trip you're gonna have an 'empty-handed' trip regardless

29-Mar-15
"If you make more than one trip you're gonna have an 'empty-handed' trip regardless"

Huh???

29-Mar-15
Huh - what?

If you make more than one trip packing out meat you're not going to be packing nothing when you go back for the next load.

At least I don't

29-Mar-15
If you can't carry a load of meat out after the kill and the pack-out takes you more than 1 trip, you will have 3 empty handed legs instead of 1.

Ditto the Kifaru comments. I used a bikini and nomad for my day hunting pack this past season. This past fall, the ability to take a load of meat out on the first trip allowed us to get most of the meat from a moose out before dark in grizzly country. The Kifaru carried the ~100# quarter better than I did. ;-)

29-Mar-15
Lot's of great advice. I also really like WapitiBob's setup and may look into those myself.

I would probably buy an Eberlestock or similar. The Blue Widow is nice at $350. It can be used as a daypack or even cover you for a 3 day bivy hunt. If/When you get an animal down. I typically prep the animal and pack out the head and as much "trimmed meat" as I can with my Eberlestock. Take that down and come back up with a pack frame to get the quarters and the rest.

For a pack frame try a couple out. Walk around the store with them on.. put some weight on it and test it out. I would spend $125-200 on a pack frame, nothing fancy, just something that fits you well will save you lot's of PAIN later.

So far we are up to $425-$550. This leaves you $400 - 575 for a GPS. With this I would stick with one that is not touch screen. I've had issues with touchscreens in bad weather. Garmin is respected line and the 62 or the 64 would be in your range about $329. This is a great mid to high level GPS that has everything you need. If you want to be a techno geek you will spend more.

You can get into all of this for $750 and still have enough to buy a new headlight/survival gear and a light weight rain coat. Can you spend less and still get the desired items, sure. If that was my budget, that is what I would buy. That is also a good price range as you are getting mid-high level items you can depend on for many years.

For you who cannot spend as much or are starting out. I hunted years with a $50 school backpack, $75 Garmin etrex and a $50 pack frame that I reinforced with padding. It may not have been ideal but it worked.

29-Mar-15
I can only base my experience on what I have done. Over the past 10 + years we have packed 25 - 30 elk out.

I don't like getting my day pack bloody with quarters. I don't mind walking out one the first trip with backstraps and loins wrapped up nicely. I don't mind walking with nothing in my pack and don't consider it waste of time or energy.

You're done hunting. The elk is dead. Enjoy the time. That's when memories are made

29-Mar-15
Wapatibob and I have the same set up as well as my brother, works great. Most pack in for elk is at least three miles so a great pack frame like Kifaru is a must.

29-Mar-15
I'm planning on buying Kifaru Nomad and a dry bag to pack meat in. And I'd really like to become the hunting buddy of the guy up there that can pack a whole elk out on the first trip!

30-Mar-15
When you kill an elk, hunting is usually done for that day anyways, even if you have a partner.

With dad, my first trip out is both our bows, both our day packs, and backstraps. I return with 2 packs and 4 treking poles while dad drags the meat from the carcass, makes a fire, and cooks us some tenderloin :)

Good times :)

30-Mar-15
Either a deposit on a $3,500 elk hunt or a new gun

30-Mar-15
I'd hire MulePower to pack my bull out on his mules while I ride along side enjoying the moment with a fifth of Blanton's. I would save the rest for next year's hunt.

30-Mar-15
The MR Crewcab with lid makes a great day pack++, and is a great cargo hauler

30-Mar-15
I would get a Kifaru Bikini frame with interchangeable bag of choice (probably Highcamp 4800 or 7000), a Garmin Etrex 30, and have some money left over.

30-Mar-15
If it were me with $1000 cash and I wanted a new pack, I would get a Kifaru. I'd forgo the gps and save the remaining money for other stuff.

30-Mar-15
When you have a plane to catch in a day and a half.... always seems we kill far more animals the last half of the hunt than the first.

Have no room to travel with daypacks. And with the right backpack no need either.

The right pack will haul all you can handle AND kick a day pack all over the mountain for comfort. My system is similar to WapitiBob's. Takes time to dial it in but once you do, very happy with it.

WRT GPS, if you are hunting with anyone else I'm a converted fan of the rino. Knowing exactly where everybody is has a lot going for it. Might go a bit over your grand "limit" a little new. Used you'll have cash left over for more gear.

30-Mar-15
GPS - Garmin mid-high end Pack - Cabellas Alaskan II will meat haul 100+lbs 'comfortably' Other pack - check other threads for rec's, there's been quite a few in the last year.

30-Mar-15
For that money, you can easily do whatever you want. There is nothing wrong with a Garmin E-Trex for $80.

Nothing wrong with used packs, when in good shape, either. You could easily outfit yourself well for half your budget. A used Kifaru Longhunter or even a Late Season would do what you want admirably well.

30-Mar-15
Over drive transmission for my Chevelle.

30-Mar-15
a genie in a bottle that will grant my every wish

30-Mar-15
genie for every wish is $1000 a night.....

31-Mar-15
Tag and plane ticket [well, the outward flight at least...]

31-Mar-15
I had 1000 saved up. Transmission on my trDon't have my 1000 anymore !uck went out.

31-Mar-15
check out the outdoorsman packs. I prefer a pack with an outer frame so I can detach the pack and use the frame for meat. I prefer garmin gps and leupold binos for about 230 to 250 bucks.

31-Mar-15
I have done the same with my Kifaru by removing the bag and using the cargo panel. Put a dry bag with what you need for the day and you still can use the frame and hualer with many straps to get a solid haul out.

31-Mar-15
I use a stoneglacier sky 5100 for a day pack and meat hauler 4.1 lbs empty and my half of the elk loaded weighed 150lbs in the same 4lb pack. As for gps spend the money on a goal zero charger and down load the ihunterapp or something similar to your phone

01-Apr-15
I would buy: Duplex timberline 2- DT2 A compas A paper map of the area I would be hunting The take an orienteering class.

With the change I would go have a good lunch at shotgun willies:-)

01-Apr-15
Compass and map is great....until it gets dark.

05-Apr-15
New western mountaineering bag and a couple tanks of fuel to get to colorado!!

• Sitka Gear