Birdman 02-Apr-15
Mule Power 02-Apr-15
Buyse 02-Apr-15
LUNG$HOT 03-Apr-15
YZF-88 03-Apr-15
Bigdan 03-Apr-15
Mule Power 03-Apr-15
02-Apr-15
I hunt Montana and archery elk season is longer, seems like where i hunt most of the pressure is first three weeks , after that you don't see many hunters, thinking of hunting last week of September to avoid pressure, any thoughts on this ? would think elk are still rutting & vocal , seems most hunters always want to be the first to hunt them, is it really that important ?

02-Apr-15
I'd start by the 21st anyway. I killed my biggest bull on October 4th.

Bugling activity can vary greatly by area. Where I hunt in Wyoming they are still bugling hard in mid October even when the gun pressure starts.

02-Apr-15
If you can, hunt the entire six weeks. Heck, last year bulls were bulging the first weekend of rifle. I am starting to really enjoy the last couple of weeks of archery season. Number of hunters dramatically decline.

03-Apr-15
I've experienced the exact opposite opposite here in Colorado. I run into very few hunters the first week. But come that second and third week they seem to pour in, hoping to hit the peak of the rut I guess. I prefer to hunt early with hopes to call in some good bulls looking to gather their harem.

03-Apr-15
I hunted every week of September last year. I hunt in a unit with LOTS of NR pressure because it is close to home.

The pressure was unusually high the first week of the season last year. Ran into lots of hunters.

During the middle two weeks there were 15 trucks at the trail head plus who knows how many UTV's that went through. Side note: some of those guys are horrible callers! Nowhere in Elknut's playbook does he mention "the dying bull call"

Anyway, the last week was great. I was the only one there. Bulls were vocal. I was in bow range several times. Hunting was good.

03-Apr-15
I think everyone should avoid the first week. it sucks.

03-Apr-15
I like the first week best myself I find that the later you go the more call shy the elk get.

03-Apr-15
I guess it depends on where you are but I agree... I'll take the opener over the last few days of the month or anything in October. I hear bulls bugling in rifle season too but they sure as hell aren't as easy to get on as the ones that haven't been hunted yet on opening week.

• Sitka Gear