overbo 13-Apr-15
Jaquomo 13-Apr-15
Buglmin 13-Apr-15
FLGator 13-Apr-15
Jaquomo 13-Apr-15
Buglmin 13-Apr-15
The Night Stalker 13-Apr-15
09-Apr-15
After reading the penetration thread, it has me curious about everyone's set that have killed elk with a stickbow. I am interested in two perspectives, the first thought is western hunters shoot a modest weight arrow in order to get a better flatter trajectory. It seems your depth perception is different in the mountains. If shooting instinctively, this flatter trajectory allows for less of a margin of error. Let's say at distances of 30-40 yards. It is really not relevant at shorter distances of 25 yards or closer. Heavy arrows offer better penetration but drop off steeply past 25 yards. My current setup is a centaur triple carbon 62 inch, 52lb@29. My arrow is a easton axis 400 traditional with an abowyer brown bear head. 200grain broadhead with insert. Total arrow weight is 530 grains. Also, I have 200 grain VPA's in my quiver. I prefer the abowyer single bevel two blade for elk but have no experience with penetration. I am thinking about a different set with a lighter arrow for this fall for less margin of error at 30 yards.

09-Apr-15
Mostly Colorado hunting, on the ground (plus Canada and Australia). Mountains for elk and bears, plains for deer.

My recurve is 53#, longbows are 57#. I shoot Gold Tip 3555s with weight tubes, 125 grain 3 blade heads, Muzzy and VPA. My total arrow weight is around 450.

If I was shooting exclusively out of trees, downward at known distances, I'd take my arrow weight up because trajectory is a less critical component. But shooting on the ground at unknown distances where distance judging is purely instinctive, I've settled on this combination as the best compromise between accuracy, trajectory, and killing power (for me - not necessarily for anyone else).

10-Apr-15
Elk, deer, turkeys and all other game plus 3d. Centaur Chimera 64@29, Saluki recurve 64@29. Beman MFX 340's with 150 grain 4 blade broadheads, total weight about 620 grains. I might go 35 yards for elk but so far they've been under 15 and the arrows have been total pass through's.

10-Apr-15
56# Bob Lee recurves and 56# Black Widows. I use Easton FMJs with 125 grain heads, total arrow weight is 455 grains. I shot the Black Eagle Rampages with good results, and now playing with the Victory VAPs. I'm not a huge fan of over weight arrows and hoc shafts. 12 bulls with a recurve,and have never had an issue with penetration. My bull in 2013 was shot head on at 8 yards, and the arrow was all the way inside the chest cavity. My Utah bull was shot quartering away at 30 yards, and the Muzzy Phantom broke his off side front leg.

10-Apr-15
buglmin is that 56# at your draw length. and what is your draw length. I like to hear from traditional archers who have actually killed more than one elk.

10-Apr-15
Yessir, 56# at 28", and I draw 28". Jaquomo has killed a pile of elk as well with stickbows, and I'd sure like to see the Kelly recurves he is shooting.

10-Apr-15
Well, I haven't killed an elk but I have killed a Kudu, about the same size.

I shot a 50 lb. recurve, 525 gr, carbon arrow with a 125 gr. Magnus Buzz Cut on the front. I shot clean through him at about 15 yards.

I understand what you are saying about the distance thing. I had an arrow go under a moose that was a bit farther than I thought he was.

But I still believe in penetration, and heavy arrows are where you get that. It's part of the game.

Good luck on your upcoming hunt.

TBB

11-Apr-15
I have killed a lot of elk with longbows. I have also been with a lot of guys shooting elk with longbows and recurves that were setting up arrows similar to mine. I have hunted across most of the western US, Canada, Alaska, and Argentina. My biggest animals to date have been a moose in Wyoming and a bison in Colorado.

My bows have been a variety (tried to kill an elk with every bow I have!) with draw weights from 55# to 70#. I have used arrows ranging in weight from 425 grains up to 650+ grains. I have killed elk with two-blade double bevel (zwicky & magnus, sto), two-blade single bevels (grizzly & eclipse), 4-blades (zwicky, magnus, steel force & old bears), lots of different 3-blades (snuffers, wensels & vpa's).

I have not shot an elk from a treestand, yet. All of my hunting has been from the ground on elk.

All of these setups will work.

Observations:

I have had a number of complete pass-thru's with 425 grain arrows and snuffers - where the arrow actually blows through and sticks in the ground on the other side!

Seem to get really good blood with the 3-blade. Have shot a few elk with big snuffers a little far back (one right in front of the back leg!) that I still recovered with a blood trail all the way to the dead elk. Have shot two bulls in the shoulder and did not penetrate the shoulder, though. I shot the moose with a 450-grain arrow and a snuffer and sunk it to the fletchings.

I have lost two elk that I shot with 2-blade double bevel heads that were hit in the ribs and the arrow sunk to the fletching. Minimal blood on one and one shot slipped along the outside of the ribs on a hard angle and the broadhead ended up between the ribs and the front shoulder.

I have not seen that the heavier arrows give more penetration on elk (or deer for that matter). Killed a couple of elk with 650+ grain arrows with a 3 blade and 2 blade single bevel. Have not lost one with the heavy setups, but have only shot two times with them at elk. I shot my bison with a heavy arrow (700 grains) and 2-blade magnus and had a complete pass-thru the lungs with the arrow sticking in the ground 20 yards on the other side - he did not go very far.

Have not hit a big bone with a heavy arrow and single bevel head yet so don't know if it will break a shoulder blade. I tend to think that it will, though. My arrow setup for really big critters (bison, Asian buffalo, musk ox, etc) will be a 750+ grain arrow with a big single bevel broadhead on it.

I have used bows from 40 to 55 pounds to shoot deer and prefer a bow over 60 for elk.

The most important take-aways:

Have an arrow set up that flies perfectly off your bow - helps to hit what you are shooting at and also makes a big difference on penetration.

A big 3-blade puts more blood on the ground to be able to find what you hit. You just have to miss the big leg bone.

Good luck!

12-Apr-15
PS - I forgot to mention this is with different types of carbon arrows. Have not used wood arrows for over 15 years.

13-Apr-15
I've killed only 3 bulls,

1st 55lbs@ 27'' recurve w/ 2117 tipped w/ a 125gr Snuffer. 25yrds hit mid-section of ribcage and was poking out the other side. about 525grs

2nd 61ls@ 27'' recurve, Vapor shaft tipped w/ a 160gr Snuffer. 35yrds again centered of the ribs. 6'' TO 8'' penetration. Recovered 2 days later. 420grs

3rd 65lbs@ 27'' recurve, FMG shaft tipped w/ a 160gr Ace. 30yrds trotting, hit the sweet pocket and the arrow was poking out the other side. 560grs

All 3 bulls weighed over 700lbs

13-Apr-15
Anthony: My hunting partner, Tom Kelley, retired from bow building. He was a great, innovative bowyer but doesn't like people much. Built super-fast, efficient bows.

My longbows and recurves all range from 53-57#. I used to shoot Bighorns (the Asbell-made ones) from 67-69# until we figured out we didn't need that much horsepower to kill elk, and a bow with a different limb design in the 50s seemed a lot more accurate to shoot with a tuned, balanced setup. I'll take increased accuracy any day. Plus, I can shoot these bows into advanced age with (hopefully) no problems.

IMO, the biggest obstacle for all trad bowhunters, regardless of draw weight, is the inability to tune to achieve perfect flight. In the 3-D shoots I attend, I see wobbly arrows more often than darts. That's with field points. I can't imagine how their broadheads fly.

13-Apr-15
Jaquomo, Figures... But in a way, him retiring prolly saved me some money. I just got my hands on a lil Rick Lanham recurve that I'm loving. Shooting 48# really feels good, and it spits an arrow out with authority.

I do agree about guys not tuning arrows to perfection. Seems I always hear "Good enough...". Guys are in such a big hurry these days to shoot their bows they don't spend the time trying different sit-ups. It's all about "just put some more weight up front, leave them full length and you'll be ok." Lol, hate seeing guys with 6" of arrow sticking out past their bows...

13-Apr-15
I have switched to bows with ILF fittings in order to take advantage of limbs designed with greater efficiency. It's allowed me to hunt with lighter draw weight and still obtain excellent performance.

13-Apr-15
Buglemin, I was shooting with a guy at a 3-D once whose arrows were fluttering all over the place. He was missing half the targets. He just laughed and said, "That's traditional archery for ya.."

The other three of us were drilling the targets (it was an easy course) and we made a few gentle suggestions about tuning, to which he replied, a little miffed, "I work in the archery department at Bass Pro, so I set up bows all the time".

'Nuff said.

13-Apr-15
Lol....Jaquomo, we used to have guys showing up shooting full length 2317's from 50# bows cause it's what the other trad guys told him he needed to be shooting. At one 3D shoo, this trad shooter was complaining cause the targets were too far and his heavy arrows wouldn't make it under the branches...

Maybe if I was shooting big, heavy three bladed Snuffers I'd use a slightly heavier shaft, but after seeing the penetration I got on a gobbler using VAP shafts and the DRT heads, I think I found a better shaft then my FMJ's. Over 26" of penetration on a strutting tom at 12 yards. Tell everyone he had a bigger beard but the DRT shaved it off...

13-Apr-15
I have been setting up arrows for ever. I think guys get in a hurry. I usually will bare shaft and tune one arrow at long distances. Once it is flying perfect , I then tune the broadhead keeping in mind the whole time which weight broadhead I will shoot. By cutting little sections of the bare shaft and the different spines. I can get it perfect. Any factors can change everything, nock point, brace height,etc. last step is to sharpen the broadhead and coat it. My current set up hits with authority,

• Sitka Gear