RK 13-Apr-15
SDHNTR(home) 13-Apr-15
IdyllwildArcher 13-Apr-15
WYOBIRDDOG 13-Apr-15
straightshooter 14-Apr-15
huntperch 14-Apr-15
13-Apr-15
HI Guys!

I've have used low end radios most of my life and while they work in certain situations I feel the need to upgrade. I'm getting older and am beginning to hunt more with my 28 year old son and would really like to have contact thru radios. Looking for recommendation. Mostly whitetail /turkey hunt in NE but am going to WY on a cow elk trip this fall. Also don't want to break the bank.

Thanks Jeff

13-Apr-15
We like the Motorola Talkabouts set up for hunting, so the page tone is an elk bugle. Once when I shot a bull and paged my partner to come help track, he had a bull about 20 yards from him, and when the bugle page tone went off it looked at him and walked over.

You can find those on sale for pretty cheap, and I've communicated with people who were 12 miles away, line-of-sight.

Check the regs wherever you hunt to make certain they are allowed.

13-Apr-15
Jaquomo, which model TalkAbout do you have?

13-Apr-15
TOS

Look into Motorola Distace plus radios

They don't sell them new anymore but you can still find them on line if you do a search

We have had great luck with them over the years

13-Apr-15
Model k7gt9500. I really didn't want to break the bank either, don't need integrated GPS or any of that stuff, wanted long battery life and light weight. With AA Lithiums these things will last a looooong time.

You can do hands-free voice activated with ear buds. The call tones are elk bugle, turkey gobble, coyote howl, geese honking, some other critter I forgot.

13-Apr-15
I have used Motorola's and Midlands. I'm not home, so I can't give you any model information. A ring tone being a game call is a great idea! Maybe next time I should read the instructions! :)

Units we use are rated like at 36 miles (line of sight). With a mountain in between users, forget about it. They work well in broken terrain, as long as its not too high in elevational differences. They contain rechargeable battery packs that are also removeable so that AA batteries could be used. However, that has not been necessary with the type of hunts we have done of late. Just be sure that if more than 2 people are hunting together that the units can talk to one another. I have experienced that twice with different make units. No way, no how could they work together.....

About 10 years back I bought a set that I gave away as the sound from them was not decipherable....

>>>>-------->

13-Apr-15
Curvebow. When you get home would you be so kind as to post model numbers and manufacturer of your radios. 36 miles even on a straight line is awesome. Almost sounds like the old low band radios. Or PM me

Thanks

13-Apr-15
I gave up on the cheapos. Motorola CP200's, and worth every penny if you really need to rely on them.

13-Apr-15
There's not many places where you can hunt white tail/turkeys in NE and cow elk in WY without a guide, where you cannot text with the cell phone you already own.

I was able to text everywhere I went in western NE and I've spent boots-on-the-ground time in 6 different rugged WY units and the only place I couldn't send/receive a text was 83, which doesn't, as far as I know, have a single paved road touch so much as one of the unit's boundaries. (AT&T)

I have a nice pair of 2-way radios and they never make the weight cut. My kids sure do have fun playing with them though.

13-Apr-15
Like Jaquomo said check the WY regs I don't think you can use radios in the aid of taking game while hunting in WY. I looked in the regs but could not find anything regarding radios. I would call WY Game and Fish Headquarters in Cheyenne at 307-777-4600. Good Luck! Dave

14-Apr-15
Thanks Guys! I stopped at one of the larger outdoor stores and got virtually no help from the staff. Trust you guys far more. Phones may be the way to go but have enjoyed radio contact more. Don't want to use radios for game just safety and convinience

14-Apr-15
If you need GPS then you can get Garmin Rhinos that show your location of each user on screen as well as having walkie talkie.

• Sitka Gear