ROUGHCOUNTRY 16-Apr-15
ROUGHCOUNTRY 16-Apr-15
HuntEasy 16-Apr-15
HuntEasy 17-Apr-15
HuntEasy 18-Apr-15
Tatonka 18-Apr-15
Cheesehead Mike 20-Apr-15
15-Apr-15
My pops and I are in for this unit in 2015. We are a long ways from the Missouri Breaks coming from Nor Cal. Unlikely we will make it out to scout ahead of time. We will put in time over maps and talk to as many people that will talk with us ahead of time to formulate a plan. Whats the unit like? From what I know, and that's not much, 630 is a unit that is also drawn with 632, a completely different draw so there is a lot more pressure in 630 than 631.Maybe I have that wrong? When is a good time to start the hunt? My initial call on timing is around the 10th, when you may still find a herd bull without cows. We may have up to 10+/-days to give er hell... Grabbing a new gear on shooting and conditioning after today.... Many thanks ahead of time for constructive reports about the unit and possible tips on how to prepare for this upcoming adventure.

16-Apr-15
Have you checked the Breaks thread in the Montana state forum?

16-Apr-15
not yet but I'll head over there next.

16-Apr-15
Do you have a boat?

My brother fishes that lake every once in a while, and have heard the best way to hunt some of that stuff is out of a boat.

There is a meat eater episode where they hunted the breaks for deer if you haven't seen it. don't know exactly where they were at but it'll give you a good idea of the terrain.

We considered putting in for those units this year, but coming from oklahoma it is way easier for me to hunt colorado. If we didn't draw the breaks unit, it is tough for me to do the general units further west. I gain a full day of hunting time in CO. My brother and parents only live 6 hours from those units, so it is not bad to drive to the breaks for me.

Anyway, good luck, let us know how it goes. Still one of the places I really want to hit someday. The good thing is it's not 10,000 ft+.

16-Apr-15
I have a friend that is a very good bow hunter and he hunted the breaks, do not know which unit, he said it was a tough hunt with lots of people. I have been there antelope hunting and see lots of trucks with tree stands in them. it does not sound like calling works very well either. he did film some huge bulls from a non hunting viewing area. good luck

16-Apr-15
We have a boat - but hauling it 3,000 miles round trip may not be worth the upside. How much private land is in 631 and 630? Are there roads all over the unit?

16-Apr-15
Yes it would be worth pulling a boat that can handle Fort Peck. Especially if it rains.

16-Apr-15
HuntEasy, PM sent

16-Apr-15
Lots of roads, easy access and lots of people. 100 less permits would help a ton.

630 is shared between 631 and 632, not a lot of elk in 630 but there is always some there.

It gets hunted very very hard.

16-Apr-15
Lots of roads and easy access, okay thanks. Translation - many hunters using their vehicles to road hunt and elk will be held up in pockets where they havent been pressured. Reminds of unit 13 in NM that we hunted last year. Lots of elk, lots of hunters but plenty of opportunity, especially if you keep up where you can hear and see and then make a move at first light. Come on guys give me something concrete. Thanks, Tony

16-Apr-15

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
Here's some "concrete" tips. If and when you spot elk, don't wait around and think you're going to back off until evenging. Chances are someone else also has them spotted or will before the day is over. This isn't anything like a Primos elk video with unpressured elk.

Calling can and does work in the right situation but certainly don't rely on it. These pockets where elk hang out are key but good luck finding them your first year. Make sure and let us know how your hunt goes, you have the same chance as most other folks hunting the unit. There are a few local ringers that shoot good ones every year. My buddy is up to around 16 big bulls or so. This photo is what 630 looks like. It doesn't get hunted hard for elk since there's really no cover but elk will certainly get pushed in there with all the folks hunting.

16-Apr-15

Here's what the main 631 unit looks like.......on a weekend every main ridge will have a vehicle on it but they may or may not be hiking. Hence, if there's a herd out in the open, you can bet you're not alone.

16-Apr-15

Finally, "keep it real" on your expectations. Here's the best bull by far in the unit last year right around Boone and Crockett minimums. Unfortunately, he was bang-banged by a rifle hunter last fall. You probably shouldn't pass up any decent bull.....just ask Big Dan Moore. I've just shown you the cream of the crop and virtually few bowhunters find the needles in the haystack.

16-Apr-15

16-Apr-15
Mike - Im not planning on doing much callin. It didn't work very effectively in 13 NM. From the looks of that terrain, eyes and ears may be more effective.... Stalk and spot... Spot and stalk. I just ordered up some maps of the units today. Homework begins....

17-Apr-15
Those are nice Bulls. I'm sure not the norm but something I would be looking for early in the hunt. May change after day 5.

18-Apr-15
How about hunting the opener. I know it's hot and there will be little rut activity but maybe less hunters and bulls wont have cows for stalking purposes. Unit map should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

18-Apr-15
The opener can be more than hot...it can be scorching hot. I've seen it hit 100 degrees there opening weekend and there are as many, if not more hunters there for the opening weekend as any other time. There are really no times when there are not a lot of hunters.

20-Apr-15
"My initial call on timing is around the 10th, when you may still find a herd bull without cows"

Can you consider them "herd bulls" if they don't have a herd...? ;^)

Funny, back in '99 I hunted NM 13 and my next hunt was in the Breaks too.

Good luck on your hunt.

• Sitka Gear