WapitiBob 23-Apr-15
AZBUGLER 24-Apr-15
BowmanMD 24-Apr-15
Doubleforky 08-Nov-15
ben yehuda 08-Nov-15
AZBUGLER 09-Nov-15
18-Apr-15
AZ Unit 1 2b 2c

Good news bad news. Good news: I got drawn in AZ Unit 1 2b 2c. Bad news: I somehow screwed up and applied rifle rather than archery. All these years of building points for a dream rut hunt and I blow it. Couple of questions: 1. Wondering if I should go. Season is 9/25 – 10/1. Although not ideal dates, it is still somewhat early. Is this still a good unit to locate a trophy bull? 2. I am a nonresident and likely cannot scout. Any recommendations on outfitters?

18-Apr-15
I would go. Elk taste better than tags. Hunting with a rifle beats the hell out of not hunting at all.

18-Apr-15
Duane Adams has hunted that unit for 30 years and knows it like the back of his hand. He usually knows what the elk are going to do before they do. I've bow hunted there with Duane a few years ago and took a great bull at 9:30 on opening morning. He runs a great camp and his guides have worked with him for years. 340-370 is a realistic expectation with a rifle and they take a couple of 380-400 out of 1 every year or two.

YES!!!! Go, it might or might not be as fun as bow, but it will be a great hunt.

You have a rifle tag during the rut in one of the best units In North America. Several million other hunters would give their left testicle for a chance like that. You will be hunting right next door to White Mt. Reservation where they have a 3 yr. waiting list for people willing to spend 25,000.00 to hunt there.

18-Apr-15
Bulls are still bugling then, you jut have less time to get it done. There are a lot less tags for that hunt and there is no reason not to take your bow. As far as applying for the wrong season, you lucked out.

18-Apr-15
Yep I second Duane Adams. Good luck!

18-Apr-15
A lot of years that might be peak rut. Way less tags than archery season. Its a general tag so nothing stopping you from using your bow. Some people would say you scored bigtime!

18-Apr-15
Let me make certain I understand your concern. You accidentally got drawn for the early rifle Bull tag instead of the Bull archery tag... and you're wondering if its worth while?!? That tag is about as close to the "Governors tag" as you will get! You get to share a HUGE territory with only 39 other hunters, during a period which the Bulls have raging harmones. Your chance on a Bull of a life time is vitually 100%.

If you happen to get a lottery ticket where you match 6 numbers instead of 5... I'd keep that one too. ;-)

18-Apr-15
It seems you don't know very much about elk, or AZ?

You probably drew one of the Top 3 tags in the state and maybe top 5 in the country and you wonder if you should go?

With that attitude you maybe don't deserve the tag! Its a general season tag so you can hunt with whatever weapon you choose. The rut will still be on with the biggest bulls finally coming out to breed.

18-Apr-15
Contact us at Ward's Outfitters if you need help on this hunt we can get you a giant bull!!!!!!!!!

18-Apr-15
Thanks guys. Dumb question in retrospect. It was late when I filled out my application and I simply expected another year of PB build. I realize now it is an opportunity of a lifetime. Already talked with Duane - he thinks it would be crazy to bring a bow.

18-Apr-15
Good luck to you. Shoot a monster and show us the pictures!

18-Apr-15
Doggers, congrats on a dream tag. Just curious how many BP's you had ?

18-Apr-15
I had 8 points prior to applying. Obviously very lucky.

18-Apr-15
That would take more then luck unless you have az residency, I see on here it shows ia, but you could have lifetime license. Otherwise it would have been virtually impossible. Should have taken around 20. Sure you have early tag

18-Apr-15
Let me get this strait. You are not an AZ resident and you drew Unit 1 Early Rifle with 8 points???

If that is correct I suggest that you buy every lottery ticket that you can get your hands on, cause at the moment you may be the luckiest guy alive.

18-Apr-15
Well here it is, cut and paste from their website:

SPECIES RESULT HUNT NO. SEASON DATES OPEN AREAS PERMIT NO. REJECT DESCRIPTION

Antelope Not Drawn Elk Draw Successful 03001 09/25/2015 - 10/01/2015 UNIT 1, 2B, AND 2C

Have not received anything in the electronic or snail mail yet, but I will be calling on Monday.

18-Apr-15
Doggers it's really up to u if u use a bow. It is easier for u and the outfitter if u use a rifle. U owe it to yourself to contact Steven Ward before u book with someone. He is an animal when it comes to getting a client on a big buck or bull.

Congrats on a great tag. Make it count!

18-Apr-15
Do you have resident status? Either way awesome tag. Sent you a couple pm's

18-Apr-15
Hmmm, looks like I had more than 8 points... from my notes, I had 7 points back in 2010 and have applied every year since then... my guess is I drew with 11 points... I will find out Monday.

18-Apr-15
50% drew with 18 in 2011, 4.2% drew with 18 in 2013. To have a non res tag slide to random draw is UN heard of. I know a guy that didn't draw the muzz hunt with 19 points this year

Maybe another dumb question and without me checking hunt codes. It isn't a cow tag is it

19-Apr-15
3001 is the ERB hunt. No cow hunts during that period. Assuming it all checks out, congrats on a truly once or twice tag of a lifetime. People on other sites have reported tags showing up in the mail. Good luck to you.

19-Apr-15
Have fun and post Tue story and photos here!!!!

19-Apr-15
That is a dream tag for an archery hunter. Wow!

Most Outfitters would rather go the rifle route so they'd be done quickly but give it some serious thought!

19-Apr-15
Congrats, post up a story...

After all I hear on here about the AZ elk draw how does a non res draw an early rifle unit 1 elk tag with only 11 pts. ? I thought all the tags would go to the highest point holders , I thought it was impossible to draw it. I put in with 11 points for lesser units (archery) and didn't draw ???????

19-Apr-15
AZ is a bonus point state and not preference points. It's possible but HIGHLY unlikely for someone to draw with zero points. When you're lucky, you're lucky

19-Apr-15
I say you are very lucky, I lived in the White Mtns for 19 years and unit 1 was my favorite. I think your tag is even better than the archery tag- the rut should be dead center on. You might look into Diamond Outfitters- I know two of their guides who grew up in Springerville. One took an elk that looks about like a 380 last fall with his bow in unit 1. Go and be prepared for an excellent hunt.

19-Apr-15
It's a bonus sort of. Rarely will a tag for a non res make it out of the pass pool, which is really a preference pool

19-Apr-15
It would be very possible to kill a good elk with a bow on the hunt.

What you have to ask yourself is would you be ok maybe missing an opportunity at a 380+" bull because you have bow in your hand instead of a rifle.

20-Apr-15
you really need a guide and have no idea what you applied for or drawn. just to clue you in, the early rifle bull tag has the best dates for az rutting elk. the tag is worth about 12 grand plus.

20-Apr-15
Doggers, Don't take this too personally, but you really have no clue.

Strike 1: "Bad news, I screwed up and drew an early rifle bull tag in AZ"

Strike 2: "Should I even bother going?"

Strike 3: "I think I had something like 8 points. No wait, that was back in 2010 when I last checked."

Please, hire a guide.

20-Apr-15
Got my tag in the mail today!

Doggers I sent you a couple pm's I will be there before you and just to up your excitement I can send you updates. Heck hopefully we will be driving back to WI with a couple great bulls early and I can stop and show you them

20-Apr-15
Smoke a giant, it will be fun with a rifle. On that tag, I'd use a rifle, it will be the best chance you'll ever have to kill a 400" bull in your life.

20-Apr-15
Doggers, Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. I'm probably just jealous. You drew one of the best tags out there for elk. Go, have a great time, and shoot a big one. I would agree that Duane Adams is one of the best for that part of AZ, but there are plenty of other guides who could help you get it done. You should have an awesome hunt. Good luck!!

20-Apr-15
Called the state. They confirmed I drew hunt 03001. Said I did it with 12 points. Tag is in the mail. I am stoked! Wow!

Sorry to all those that did not draw. Not sure I should tell this story or not, but it is meant to show what can happen if you continue to apply and build points. Fifteen years ago I applied for Idaho sheep Unit 11... drew my first year. Scored a nice Rocky book ram. Never thought I would hunt sheep but I had such a good time I started applying for Desert in select states. After three years I drew the Escalantes in Utah. Suddenly I had half-a-slam completed. What the heck, so I applied in a FANAWS raffle and won a Dall Sheep hunt... holy crap I shot a beautiful ram. Well, I played the game again at the convention the next year and won a Stone hunt in BC. Got a beautiful Black ram. Might be the cheapest Grand Slam in History. That is a true story.

Moral of story? Apply. You can't win if you don't apply. It is sad that hunters have to go through these contortions each year to exercise our God given right to hunt, but that is the reality of living in a country with 320 mil plus people. In the end, the animals are better off.

To you Arizona residents, thank you for allowing non-residents the chance at an Elk hunt of a lifetime.

May God bless you with a dream hunt in the future.

20-Apr-15
Doggers....

You suck.

20-Apr-15
Kidding, of course. I am happy to read from the mind of someone that actually WON some of those hunts...

I actually think I deserve to win some of the hunts that HF gives away during their membership drives. I invest $200 a couple times weave year and haven't won anything!

WTH??

; ^ )

20-Apr-15
Doggers,

Holy. Freakin. Crap!

20-Apr-15
Doggers, please tell me you play the lottery! LOL

20-Apr-15
Does TBM have a new handle? Seriously.

20-Apr-15
Wow, these always crack me up...

20-Apr-15
40 tags, 8 in the 20% pass, only 4 max to non-residents. If 5 or more went to residents in the max point pool, then there would be tags available for a non-resident to pull a tag in the random draw. Possible? Sure. About as possible as a guy drawing 4 sheep tags in 6 years, but definitely possible. Doggers, I take back my good luck wish--you don't need it!!!

20-Apr-15
Not a hater, just extremely jealous!

20-Apr-15
Congrats. Yep you can't draw if you don't apply. My friends girlfriend has the same kind of luck as you do. 2 years ago she drew an early rifle bull hunt in 10 with 1 bonus point and killed an amazing bull. Last year she drew a 13 deer tag (can't remember if it was a or b) with 1 bonus point and killed huge buck. And this year she drew an early archery bull tag in 10. Makes me sick. Lol. Congrats on the hunt!

20-Apr-15
You think you screwed up. I sent in for cow accidentally and lost 5 points.

21-Apr-15
Doggers, Just curious. What number tag did you get?

21-Apr-15
My co-worker did not draw that archery tag again with 16 PP's going in, he is considering getting the Arizona Hunter's Safety course done to gain a permanent point to push him over the hump so to speak...

The archery tag is way tougher to draw than rifle...

For good reason, you will be hard pressed later to find a bull that is intact without broken points or main beams.

My father-in-law and his group drew tags for 6 and then 9 and one of their party shot a 383" bull, the other two could not find a decent bull that was not all busted up.

21-Apr-15
Rifle looks to be much tougher to draw than archery.

If I made the same "mistake" as you, I'd go DIY with either rifle or bow, hunt at your own pace, and enjoy every single minute!! Good luck!

21-Apr-15
The EARLY rifle is LOTS harder to draw.

I don't know how he didn't draw unit 1 with 16 as I drew with 15 and he would be sitting higher in the pass pool(preference) I think he had a different unit down.

I really think Mathewsman that you are looking at the late rifle odds and hunt

21-Apr-15
They didn't have an early rifle bull hunt in that unit last year, so it's hard to say what the draw odds were on that unit this year for this hunt. They have been moving the early rifle bull hunts around through the units lately. But yes usually the early rifle bull hunts are much harder to draw. If AZ is hot and dry like it was last year, this hunt should be right in the middle of the peak of the rut. Even if it's not, you should have no problem finding a trophy bull, and you'll have a rifle. Yes some of the bulls may be broken off, but you find that even during the archery hunt. Any way you look at this particular tag, it's an amazing tag, and should be an amazing hunt period.

21-Apr-15

PowellSixO's embedded Photo
PowellSixO's embedded Photo

21-Apr-15

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
How's this for a unit 1 rifle bull? Was killed a couple years ago by the A-3 guys, I think its the highest official NT in AZ. I would also recommend A3 trophy hunts if you want a big bull!

22-Apr-15
BowmanMD... my permit number was 10.

got lucky with the random draw

22-Apr-15
That is just flat out amazing that you drew that tag in the random draw as a non res. That is NOT supposed to happen. Good for you. You have one of the very best elk permits in America. You are lucky, lucky, lucky. Take the rifle and don't mess around. Congrats and have fun!

22-Apr-15
The big fire a few yrs ago really opened up a lot of unit 1. With a rifle you can reach out further if needed.

22-Apr-15
I hunted the archery hunt in 1 last year. The best day was the last day of the hunt, the 24th I think. I don't think I saw any broken bulls. The early rifle should be amazing this year.

23-Apr-15
The only way a NR tag could drop down into the random pool is that there were greater number of' max point holding residents' applying for the hunt than normal, hence the 10% NR cap was not met in that portion of the draw, correct?

23-Apr-15
Yes that is the basic scenario

23-Apr-15
Doggers... Wow, that is amazing. You are one very lucky guy. I am going to shut up now and eat my crow like a man. Congrats again and have a great hunt.

23-Apr-15
So the assumption is that most NR with Max points are holding out for unit 9 early rifle, so they don't want to use Max points for any other unit.

Next year it shouldn't matter anyway if they implement the 5% NR bonus round cap. Anyone could get lucky

23-Apr-15
Well, that throws everything I have ever heard on here about the AZ elk draw, non res chances, points etc. out the window lol.....Best of luck !!

23-Apr-15
Somebody usually wins the powerball too but statistically you can't count on it.

23-Apr-15
There hasn't been a pass thru tag for 1, 3a, 8, 9, 10, 27 for years. It can happen but the chances are less than slim.

"The only way a NR tag could drop down into the random pool is that there were greater number of' max point holding residents' applying for the hunt than normal, hence the 10% NR cap was not met in that portion of the draw, correct?" yes

24-Apr-15
Off topic kind of: has anyone ever had this tag and hunted unit 2? Seems odd that these units are lumped together. Maybe there's one guy hunting unit 2 every year having the time of his life! Just food for thought.

24-Apr-15
There are some huge Bulls in unit 2, but not as many and they're harder to hunt in all the junipers. I think it has a lot more private land, too.

08-Nov-15
Doggers how did your hunt go?

08-Nov-15
Yeah I missed this thread last April but want to know how it went.

09-Nov-15
me three

• Sitka Gear