Tom 22-Apr-15
Tom 22-Apr-15
Tom 23-Apr-15
Bill in MI 23-Apr-15
WapitiBob 23-Apr-15
wkochevar 23-Apr-15
DIYMaps 27-Apr-15
22-Apr-15
I am trying to add blm maps to google earth plus some other stuff. I have watched a bunch of you tube video's and tried help lines but can't seem to get anything done that they show. Can anybody help me out or recommend a good learning site to watch?? I have a MAC and I'm not to good with it.

22-Apr-15
While we're on the subject can some also explain how to get topo lines on GE as well. I'd be forever grateful for that.

22-Apr-15
Where is wapitibob? I'm sure he will be along and help.

22-Apr-15
Same deal...how to overlay say a forest fire outline on the GE map?? Haven't been able to figure it out yet THX

22-Apr-15
You need to download this file blm.kmz and run it http://s3.amazonaws.com/blm_google_earth/BLM.kmz

I didn't detect a virus and it works great. Run at your own risk. I had google earth open before running it.

22-Apr-15
topo maps:

go here, click on the GE link, save the file, then open in GE. http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx

for fire history, google "gis data set" and the forest you are interested in. Go to the "fire management" section and down load then open the fire history polygon KMZ file.

BLM/state/reservation/forest service: go here, save the file and open in GE. http://www.geocommunicator.gov/ARCGIS/REST/services/SurfaceManagementAgency/MapServer/kml/mapImage.kmz

22-Apr-15
Adding topo lines is as simple adding a topo layer and adjusting the opacity to your liking.

I understand the latest version of GE accepts shape files now.

Here is one of Bob's vimeos on adding topo to GE.

22-Apr-15
Guess we were typing at the same time!

22-Apr-15
I sure have a mess now. Part of the map is all white, shows the roads and some grid lines and nothing else. Can't figure out what I did. Ready to pull the plug and start over. WTF??? Frustrated to say the least. Did figure out how to work the downloads and get them to maybe work but can't ditch the white stuff..aughhhh

22-Apr-15
Walking away from this for a while before I need a new target and something to shoot

23-Apr-15
Finally got rid of the white crap and now thanks to your help understand how to work google earth a little better!!

23-Apr-15

Bill in MI's embedded Photo
Bill in MI's embedded Photo
On a related topic, is there a work around for the topo overlay not reloading after closing and re-opening Google Earth?

The check boxes are marked...

23-Apr-15
I stopped using that topo server a cpl months ago Bill. I use the one from EarthPoint I linked above. It seems to work a little quicker for me. Still comes from ESRI but is a little less finicky in Google Earth. I switched back to GE when the pro version became available.

23-Apr-15
Thanks for the help!!

27-Apr-15
Tom,

Extra maps on GE run as KMZ or KML files (KMZ is a compressed version). So when you see things like KMZ_File at http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/BLM_Programs/geographical_sciences/gis/GeospatialData.html on a website like the BLM. Download it and save it to your computer. Once it's saved, double click it to open it and hopefully it auto-opens in GE. If not, you'll have to set the default program for that file type. Most government GIS Data Centers have KMZ download options now. Once they are opened in GE, you can actually nest them, change their properties and make a new KMZ layer that has all the download KMZ layers you downloaded from all your different sources. There is a slight learning curve, but keep at it. There is a wealth of information available online using KMZ files.

• Sitka Gear