Ridge Ghost 28-Apr-15
RED ONE 28-Apr-15
Ziek 28-Apr-15
HuntingAdict 28-Apr-15
Ziek 28-Apr-15
Toby 28-Apr-15
Rayzor 29-Apr-15
27-Apr-15
I enjoyed the thread on G5's, thought I would start a similar one with VPA's.

27-Apr-15
No elk for me with VPAs - yet, but I'm switching to them this year.

But I did kill a mature free range Red Stag in Australia with them. 25 yard shot with a 53# recurve and 3-blade 125. First arrow whipped through him a little back, as I didn't lead him enough when he trotted though the opening following a hot hind (doe). He stopped at 45 and I center-punched the lungs. He went down in sight. I got perfect arrow flight at that distance with the stickbow, and a pass-through that time, too.. Very impressed with the overall performance.

27-Apr-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
my 2014 az bull with a vpa 125 GR vented.... frontal shot but placement wasnt the best,, still a ton of blood and with one finishing shot dead bull at the end. Other then my first shot placement, both bh's performed well cutting well and can be reused again.

27-Apr-15
blood trail....

27-Apr-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
one more.

27-Apr-15

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo

27-Apr-15
vpa's from chipmunks to buffalo!!

27-Apr-15
Love seeing that bull again Trkyslr!

27-Apr-15
Jaquomo,

That is impressive with a stickbow. I shoot both recurves and compounds, will be using the wheel bow for elk this fall. I can't pull enough weight to hunt elk with my recurve, but will hunt Whitetails with my recurve.

Trkyslr, that's a dandy bull, congrats and thanks for the pics.

Toby

27-Apr-15

abow4me's embedded Photo
abow4me's embedded Photo
Shot this elk 3 times with a nonvented 125. First shot hit him dead center of the humerous bone just below the shoulder. It busted the bone in half but the the broadhead stopped just short of the rib cavity. Would have been a perfect pic for a thread like this and I thought about it after the fact but at the time it was late and starting to rain so I felt rushed. Anyways, the bull crow hopped and turned back broadside and I rushed my second shot and hit him a little high above the lungs and that arrow didn't pass through. He took a couple more steps and turned and looked right at me. I took my time the last shot and settled it right behind the shoulder and made a perfect heart shot. That arrow passed through and the flight will be forever etched in my memory It was slow motion watching it fly through the air. The bull crashed to the bottom of the creek, 40 yrds, and died within a few minutes. I was shooting a Hoyt Spyder Turbo set at 60 lbs with Beman ICS arrows. All in all I was impressed with the VPA's and will use them again this year.

27-Apr-15
I will add that all 3 shots were in the range of 30-35 yards.

27-Apr-15

Mark B's embedded Photo
Mark B's embedded Photo
I used the VPA 100 grain nonvented broadhead for my 2013 Arizona elk hunt with great results. I shot him at 34 yards while he was in a nock down drag out battle with another bull. He ran less than 50 yards and tipped over. After running the broadhead over the sharpening stones it was on a different arrow and back in the quiver.

27-Apr-15
abow4me, is that a Roosevelt?

27-Apr-15

Mark B's embedded Photo
Mark B's embedded Photo
This is the arrow by the exit hole. His front shoulder snapped off the fletching end.

27-Apr-15

Mark B's embedded Photo
Mark B's embedded Photo
Exactly as the broadhead was found between where he was shot and where he fell over,

27-Apr-15
Looking forward to putting my VPA 150 through a bull in Arizona come September.

27-Apr-15
Idyll, no it's a colorado bull. I was also able to salvage and resharpen the broadhead that went through the bone.

27-Apr-15

Clutch's embedded Photo
Clutch's embedded Photo
125 gr vented VPA---arrowhead him head on at 20yds and went approx. 70 yds--devastating for the bull

27-Apr-15
Nice shot, Clutch!

28-Apr-15

Castle Oak's embedded Photo
Castle Oak's embedded Photo
Though not an elk, the 150 went through the onside shoulder blade, through the spine and poked out through the shoulder blade on the offside. The shot was 35 yards. This was my second whitetail with this same head. The first deer was shot through both heart and lungs with the arrow burying to the fletching in the ground. She went only 35 yards. I hope to do the same in AZ this September. And by the way, they fly like darts out to 60 yards.

28-Apr-15

Rick M's embedded Photo
Rick M's embedded Photo
Colorado bull. Hard quarter away. Arrow hit just behind the last rib on the near side and the head was poking through the off side between the neck and shoulder. That head is still in my quiver. 100 grain non vented.

I hope to be confident enough with my recurve by fall and will also be shooting VPA.

28-Apr-15

SDHNTR(home)'s embedded Photo
30yd shot, 30yard death run. 3 seconds and dead. 125gr non vented.

28-Apr-15

This one my buddy killed. Went through the on side shoulder blade and buried in the offside. 100 gr vented.

28-Apr-15
You can't go wrong with a VPA. Forrest

28-Apr-15

6x6 bull's embedded Photo
6x6 bull's embedded Photo
Shot this bull last year at 32 yards with a 100 gr. vented VPA. He ran about 80 yards and tipped over. The arrow dropped out the other side after about 4 steps and I sharpend the VPA later with a strop and some Herbs Yellowstone on it and it went right back in the quiver. My only regret is that I didn't get the 125gr. for a little for FOC.

28-Apr-15

Ridge Ghost's embedded Photo
2011 Montana elk. 100gr vented VPA.

28-Apr-15

2013 Montana elk. The same 100gr vented head from the previous picture.

28-Apr-15
Sorry to hijack, but is there any upside to vented vs non vented

28-Apr-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Also not an elk. VPA unvented 150, 3 blade. 20 yard broadside shot. Complete pass through with the arrow stopping in brush 20+ yards past the bull. It trotted less than 30 yards, stopped and tipped over. The entry hole looks higher in the photo than actual, because the bull is upside down on a steep hillside.

Unvented is stronger, and penetrates better due to less fowling of hair, hide and tissue. Vented heads really don't fly any better as is usually believed. It's possible vents actually hurt flight due to the turbulence created by them, often observed as noise in flight. If you can tune a vented head, you should be able to tune an unvented one of the same weight. Also, for the same weight head, size would have to be changed to compensate for the lost weight of the vents; either longer, wider, or thicker. The first two would negate any possible (doubtful) advantage of the vents in the first place.

28-Apr-15

HuntingAdict's embedded Photo
HuntingAdict's embedded Photo
Idaho bull just how I found him. Shot twice with 100 grain VPA vented, 60lb elite hunter, 27 inch draw, 400 grain arrow. First shot passed through at 43 yards quartered toward hard. Arrow was hanging by fletchings as he turned and ran, he went to 53 yards and stopped quartered away, that arrow buried to the off side shoulder. I didn't really follow a blood trail to him because after the second shot he just staggered and crashed right there. There was def a lot of blood on the ground though, very happy with the VPA, both heads fine and resharpened.

28-Apr-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Another not an elk. My wife's billy. VPA unvented 125 3 blade. Hoyt CE at 45# and 24 1/2" draw. 24 yard shot at fast walking broadside goat. Hit right in the front leg crease (perfect shot). Arrow hung up by the vanes on opposite side.

28-Apr-15
Ridge Ghost, that 2011 bull is a dandy, what did it score?

Toby

29-Apr-15
Awesome trophies!!! We'd love to have some of those pics that aren't in the trophy galleries on our website.

[email protected]

• Sitka Gear