Tracer nock 30-Apr-15
writer 30-Apr-15
glidingindian 30-Apr-15
BSBD 30-Apr-15
Tracer nock 01-May-15
glidingindian 02-May-15
Tracer nock 02-May-15
30-Apr-15
I've been applying for New Mexico elk hunts for about eight years now and have never drawn. Have mix and matched my three choices between best archery,muzzle loader,early, late ,you name it. Never have drawn a tag or my oldest boy for any youth tags. He's now in college and can't miss classes for any length of time. This year was know different with an unsuccessful in all three tag selections but I applied my nine year old in the youth hunts for his first chance in the NM elk draw. Some how he managed to draw his first choice unit 15 muzzy tag. I think I was more excited that he drew then I could have been if I would have finally drawn. I am so stoked. He loves to hunt and tag his first Illinois turkey a few weeks ago. For all of you parents or friends that have taken kids on there first elk and have some tips to help make this a fun and awesome hunt for him. I would sure appreciate the advice.Thanks

30-Apr-15

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
I'd look at hiring a guide to make the best use of your time. Some give discounts for youth hunts, unless you know the area very, very well.

Muzzleloaders are fun because kids get to feel more part of the process through the loading process. You can start with half-loads for practice sessions.

I did a story last fall of a Wichita State volleyball player who drew youth tags three straight years. She killed two bulls in the 340-350 range. The year she didn't kill, they were after a legit 400" bull they saw a few times.

No, she didn't say what unit. :-)

I had fun with a muzzleloader in Unit 15 one time, long, long ago.

30-Apr-15

glidingindian's embedded Photo
glidingindian's embedded Photo
This is a great hunt. Bulls usually still bugling well. Audrey McQueen of Trophy Ridge Outfitters gives great discount for youth. Have taken both my sons there as well as myself (8 times). Great lodge and location too. You can contact her thru her website. Your son is about to be spoiled rotten , plenty of bulls and quite a few studs This is my youngest sons bull in 2014 with Audrey. With muzzleloader during youth hunt you should have opportunity for much bigger if antler growth good this year

30-Apr-15
Unit 15 Muzzy should be great. Easier to hunt, not too steep and lower elevation. Plus lots of big Bulls.

01-May-15
Thanks for the info guys. Guided hunt probably isn't in our our future but we will make the best of it.

02-May-15
Pm sent

02-May-15
This maybe a dumb question but where do I check my private messages.

• Sitka Gear