Migration Corridors

GMU Boundary

Summer Range

Winter Range

Land Ownership

03-May-15

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
And sometimes you get lucky and actually see elk on GE!

03-May-15
I've seen tents, trucks, etc. but never any elk. I guess that is why you go by cnelk! Lol

03-May-15
The new area I hunted last year had a GE photo date of Sept 8 from two seasons prior. I flew all the roads and marked all the camps. Really valuable when scouting last summer, and the camps were mostly in the same places last fall.

03-May-15
My hunt area is June 2014.

03-May-15
Yea, no animals either, but I was camped in Nebraska turkey hunting, with popup and truck on August 29, 2012.

Later in the year, I Google Earth my camping spot and there pictured was my truck/camper.

My best, Paul

03-May-15
BK, that is amazing. I am going to check some of my favorite spots now to look for some of those rascally elk.

03-May-15

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Here is another pic I found elk. Looks like 8-9 of em. Check out the one in the upper left, you can see the shadow of the legs and neck

Good luck in your virtual scouting!

03-May-15
Cool...I use Acme Mapper 2.0, select Satellite and can zoom right in to specific landmarks. Very helpful in our scouting for deer in CT and NJ.

03-May-15
I learned first hand that google earth is very helpful but boots on the ground should be used to confirm your findings as far as water sources. Last year I drew a good tag, I bought a topo map of the whole area and studied it comparing it to google earth. I did this late May. I studied the area noting promising points. I marked water holes as promising or that it appears dry. I marked one water hole as promising and in the fall shot a nice bull there. Upon arriving home I checked out the spot on google earth, they updated the image in June and the pond appeared dry. Had I scouted google earth after the new image date and seen it was dry, I might not have checked it out. Luckily for me they had some good rainfall amounts before my hunt. So the lesson I learned is just because a pond appears to have water or not depends on the rainfall recently and may be different than what appears on google earth.

Happy Hunting Dan

• Sitka Gear