The Old Sarge 06-May-15
Buyse 06-May-15
Mule Power 06-May-15
Start My Hunt 09-May-15
oldgoat 10-May-15
Mule Power 10-May-15
05-May-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Ever wonder what the preferred plants look like that elk like to eat...

05-May-15
They also eat pine and spruce needles, aspen tree bark, elderberry leaves, the tender tips of sagebrush (artimesia tridentata), chokecherry leaves and bark, leaves and bark from mountain ash and even cedar. I've seen them eat most of these things and have opened more than a few stomachs to find them inside.

Just last year I watched both deer and elk eating ripe elderberries ... something I had never seen or heard of before.

05-May-15
How can you have a "preferred plants" list and not have acorns on it? In areas I hunt acorns in September are elk candy. If one hillside has a bumper crop and another a mile away got froze out, you can bet the elk will be in the oaks with nuts on them.

05-May-15
Both good points. Elk are very opportunistic in what they eat, and I have seen them eat all the other plants you list above. Guess I should add a few to my list. I was basing that list off of the grasses and forbs and have not had a chance to update to some of the seconday forage they go after.

05-May-15
Grass

05-May-15
As has been pointed out, the list is nearly endless. Also, don't forget mushrooms.

05-May-15
Anything my wife tries to plant around the house

05-May-15
I have heard the CO elk especially love marijuana now that it is legal. Definitely going to have more deformed elk brains in the future. :)

05-May-15
the eat beargrass tops like cotton candy!

05-May-15
According to a few farmers I've talked to.... alfalfa is pretty high on the list....

05-May-15
Here's an interesting article by the CPW. It mentions that elk are intermediates between browsers (similar to deer) and grazers (similar to cattle). I'm sure elk diets change from area to area and from one season to the next. http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU-CH2-L02.aspx

05-May-15
This elk likes grass hay, before it was legal

pic taken in Estes Park

photo esteselk.jpg

06-May-15
most people don't care what elk eat or the ecology of elk for that matter. all they want to know about is the rut and screamin herd bulls. I'm not one of them. the more I learn about elk the better I become at my craft. great thread!

06-May-15
Hoping one will eat one of my arrows in Sept.

06-May-15
They really like to eat surveyors tape/flagging! I have seen it happen many times.

06-May-15
In South Central Montana they LOVE beats and corn. I have heard from more than one farmer that elk will be running out of the last row of corn that is being chopped. They live in the corn fields in early fall.

06-May-15
I sure wish there were some crop fields where I hunt. lol It would make it a lot easier. :0)

06-May-15
Ha! I am with ya Sarge. It's nothing but eye candy for me. All the good stuff is leased. Not many crop fields on public land........

06-May-15
Well there's grass.... and then there's the greener sprouts at the heads of springs etc. Then there's grass in the open... compared to browse where it's safer. So many variables you can't begin to count them. It's not just about what's nutritious.

09-May-15
Mule Power, you cracked me up with this response. Are you implying that all CO elk are now imbibing on a mind altering plant that is now legal in CO?

10-May-15
I hope I can find one of the dope head ones, should be real slow on the hoof and real tender on the plate!

10-May-15
Start My Hunt.... you cracked me up with that reply. Have you been reading the Colorado 420 thread?

I guess if they had a choice between timothy grass and the new super duper purple Kryptonite they might favor one over the other. ;-)

• Sitka Gear