trackman 08-May-15
Joey Ward 08-May-15
Big Dog 08-May-15
Bigdan 09-May-15
Willieboat 09-May-15
Rick M 09-May-15
Drop Tine 10-May-15
05-May-15
Since I can't get the Toyo M55 tire in the size I need does anyone have input on the Pro Comp Radial Xtreme A/T made by Cooper tire?

Thanks

05-May-15
They have a good warranty for A/Ts but they're directional tires so you can't cross them. Only move them front to back on the same side when it's time to rotate.

05-May-15
You wont get near the life as you will the M55 but they make a decent tire. I do not personally have experience with Xtreme A/T.

05-May-15
I have had good luck with Cooper tires. Running the AT3 on my Tundra now.

05-May-15
Dura Trac by Wrangler. Usually get about 50k on the 10 ply

05-May-15
I also have had good luck with Coopers and running the AT3's.

05-May-15
Another vote for the AT3s. I have them on my Trail Runner and have been happy with the overall performance i romance and wear so far.

05-May-15
Lou, romance? I am looking for tires not a girlfriend:)

I will check them out. Thanks

05-May-15
Nitto terra grappler g2

05-May-15
for more of an aggressive thread than the at3, check out the cooper st maxx. I have them now for a few months and so far, I am pleased with them. like the M55, they are 10 ply (in my size) with a 3 ply sidewall.

mine are on a 2500 Dodge 4x4, are wearing well and are quiet on the highway.

05-May-15
BF Goodrich TA KO's. Had 70k on last two sets. Some road noise but an extremely durable tire.

05-May-15
I run the same as CityHunter. Overall pleased with then after 40k miles.

--Jim

05-May-15
Sometimes I hate the auto-brain on this dumbphone. How it turned performance into romance...

05-May-15
size ?

05-May-15
I have had an excellent experience with the Cooper AT3s as well, not sure about the Pro Comps though...

05-May-15
If you have a heavy diesel truck toyos are the best last longer than all of them and have three ply sidewalls.I have owned all the ones being talked about.Toyo makes an r/t that looks like a duratrac just harder tread and stiffer sidewalls.I run the toyo open country at2 extreme and love them more of an all terrain tire.

05-May-15
285*70*17 Thanks I will check out the recommendations. We have Nittos on my wifes SUV and so far so good.

06-May-15
Hankook Dyna Pro AT/M's are excellent, better than a lot of others I've had. Good prices too.

06-May-15
IMO and ive owned three brands size 295-70-17 on my Dodge 1ton 4x4... coopers a good tire but there soft! hence the good traction,but they wear fast ..Toyo`s are noisy and over priced because there in style right now,most that run them are BLING trucks that never leave the road ...IMO the best tire is Michelins LTX for heavey trucks there quite and tread wear is supurb if you keep them properly inflated and rotate them every 5k (with your oil change).. If the road gets ugly I`ll chain up ,chains with ice cleats kick butt on slipper mud good luck

MikeC

06-May-15
Second the Michelin LTX for heavy trucks or any truck for that matter. On two Diesel trucks and 600,000 miles, they hold up better than anything I've tried, by a long shot.

06-May-15
Rick don't let them sell you the Toyo open Countrys I bought one set and they were shot after 18,000 miles M-55 or nothing in the Toyo line.

06-May-15
Dan, yep I remember the problems with the Open Country tire. Wish they made a M55 that fit.

I will be watching the mail and call when I get it.

Thanks

06-May-15
BF Goodrich radial all terrain tires have been great for me on a few different vehicles. Order or buy thru SAMs club and get the tire warranty. Good investment. They have replaced two tires for me at no cost.

A little hi way noise depending on the size. Great traction in snow and mud. Nothing but chains or studs are good on ice.

I have never had good luck with anything from Goodyear, except their Marathon trailer tires. Wranglers got me stuck so many times that I replaced them.

06-May-15
I have used both the Cooper AT3 and the Good Year Duratrac. Both are good tires. The Duratrac is better in mud and the AT3 is better on snow and ice.

06-May-15
I have the AT3 on the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton trucks my son and I drive and on the two SUV's my wife and daughter drive....they are a good tire. I have been using cooper for about 10 years or more. I get about 50,000-60,000 and I rotate them every oil change.

06-May-15
I have a hunting truck, 2007 /Toyota Tundra 4dr. can not use tire chains on these 18 inch tires.

I just bought BF Goodrich AT tires,,,,, come October, on goes the SNOW TIRES, that simple...... drive them till May.

Northern Wis and the UP.

Get serious, get good snow tires, on the rims, keep them ready to go, put them on come fall.......

except if you live in the desert,,,,, ha ha

06-May-15
I don't know what kind of Toyo Open Country tires y'all had, but I have 72K on a set right now. F150 4x4. Gonna go back with the same !

07-May-15
What's the problem with running 265's?

Most likely OEM anyway.

07-May-15
I have had great luck with the Michelin ltx at2 10 ply. Run them on my 2007 tundra.

07-May-15
Glad everyone else had good luck with AT3's. They didn't last worth a hoot on my truck and did not handle good on ice or snow. I would not buy them again, just my opinion. Put on a set of Michelin LTX AT2's and was very happy with them

07-May-15
Michelin LTX and BFG All Terrain are some of the best tires this guy has found for Arizona. If you get 3 years out of a set around here you've done good. Can't find a tire that lasts as long as the Michelin but the BFG has the best overall traction and sidewall of any tire I've ever used.

07-May-15
LTX AT2's are what I've been running for the last year, they did outstanding in the Ice and snow last winter.

07-May-15
Here's another vote for LTX AT2's. Best tire Ive ran in a long time and thats coming from western PA where we have some of the worst roads anywhere.

My main tire shop told me the manufacturers rate my area as one of the highest wear areas in the country.

07-May-15
Guys, I appreciate the input and have several tires to look at. 90% of my driving really does not matter except for snow. The 10% Is what I a plan for. Dirt, rocks and mud out west.

Thanks for all the info.

07-May-15
I would have to vote for the Michelin LTX as well. I have ran the LTX M/S and currently have a set of LTX A/T. The A/T is a little more aggressive. I have them on a 3/4 ton diesel and either works great.

I have also been a business partner at an alignment shop for the last 23 years and have seen all kinds of tires. In my personal opinion Michelin is a top notch tire. They are the only tires I run on my personal vehicles. With my wife driving our son around, one daughter in college, and another heading to college in a year I want them on the road with good tires.

08-May-15
Cooper tires SUCK on rocks!! As mentioned they're too soft! Better have a good spare!

08-May-15
Cooper tires SUCK on rocks!! As mentioned they're too soft! Better have a good spare!

08-May-15
A lot of people mentioning those Mich LTXs. They look like a decent tire for a rig that stays on the road. Otherwise you may want to look at something a little more aggressive. I could be wrong because I have not personally tried them, but they just don't look like much of an off-road tire to me.

08-May-15
Great, I was really looking at the Coopers. For the guys who had trouble with puncture were these the E rated? They are supposed to be 10 ply in the 285/70/17's

08-May-15
I just bought Goodyear Duratrac 10 ply on recommendations of several friends who run them.

08-May-15

Gonzo's embedded Photo
Gonzo's embedded Photo
I run the Cooper AT3 315/70-17 on my Ram 2500 Diesel and they wear really well, have low road noise, and excellent traction. Mine have about 30K on them now and still have lots of tread above the wear bars but I like to keep my tires in excellent shape so tomorrow I am putting a new set on and will sell the takeoffs for $400 like I always do...

08-May-15
"A lot of people mentioning those Mich LTXs. They look like a decent tire for a rig that stays on the road. Otherwise you may want to look at something a little more aggressive. I could be wrong because I have not personally tried them, but they just don't look like much of an off-road tire to me."

They are much better than you would think. The AT 2 is actually designed to be more of an off road tire. It does reasonably well at that.

08-May-15
Rick,

Mine are E-rated. I have not had any puncture issues with them. I have had several puncture flats with the Duractracs, which were also E-rated. A couple of those surprised me as one was a piece of sagebrush that went through the sidewall.

I've run a lot of Cooper tires over the years and wouldn't say that they are soft.

08-May-15
Love my Nitto Terra Grapplers. They have worn well, and performed both on and off road.

08-May-15
Can you put 16 inch wheel on them rigs that came with 17s run Toyo M-55 285-75- 16 but my truck came with 16 inch wheels.

08-May-15
I'm sorry I can't speak for the tire you mention but I've burned through 2 sets of terra grapplers. Can't speak too much for threre off road capability but on my dodge 3500 I got 80kmiles/130k kilometres per set without going right bald. I drive easy but was still very impressed.

08-May-15
OK what tire for f-150 18" I do not want road noise ???

08-May-15
Why not just run the M55 in 265 70/17's?

Google a compare on the difference between the 285 and the 265s. Not a very big difference.

Matter of fact, if you run the 265s in whatever tire you choose you'd save yourself $200 for 4. Give or take.

08-May-15
rick on my jeep i just bought extra set of rims and offroad tires for daily use i just used stock street tires .. its a pain hauling 4 tires but i learned when out west one can never have enough tires.

08-May-15
What would going from 18" to 17" do to my mileage ??

08-May-15
Were the 18s stock on the truck?

If so, and you go to a 17" you'll have to change rims. Do you really want to spend the money? New rims AND tires?

Also, it's going to throw your speedo and odo off unless you use a tuner to recalibrate.

Personally, I wouldn't do it for a mileage change.

What size tires are your 18s?

08-May-15

Big Dog's embedded Photo
Big Dog's embedded Photo
The LTX A/T seemed to do well in Colorado last fall as well as here in Ky with the 2 big snow storms we had. A little more aggressive than the LTX M/S but I believe quieter than some of the tires with very aggressive tread designs.

This pic was after coming down a road I shouldn't have had the truck on but there was no turning back once we got on it.

09-May-15
Rick just get a set of the 265-70-17 you can get them in 10 ply the 285s are less than 1/2 taller. Toyo M-55 are the best tire made. And going to a different tire that will not hold up as good is a no brainer.

09-May-15
X2 Bigdan !! I currently have 83,000 miles on my M-55 They have only been rotated once and zero flats.

Driving a 07 Tundra

09-May-15
Dan, I will check them out. Never actually thought about downsizing. Thanks.

10-May-15

Drop Tine's Link
SpikeBull

I have an 2012 Tacoma and will be putting on the tires in my link. That is also the cheapest I ha e found them and free shipping. I had a couple sets of them on my 02 and they took me everywhere following my hounds and brought me home each night.

I was looking at the Duratrac by Goodyear but they only have a 50,000 mile warranty and about $60.00 more a tire.

• Sitka Gear