odoylerules 15-May-15
Cheesehead Mike 15-May-15
huntmaster 15-May-15
odoylerules 15-May-15
Cheesehead Mike 15-May-15
Joetech 12-Jun-15
ToddT 13-Jun-15
12-May-15
I was lucky enough to draw second season unit 36 archery elk. This will be my very first out of state hunt. Any help on spots to go would be greatly appreciated. My buddy and I will be going DIY. I would love to also hear about any experiences you or friends have had in there, thanks

PM's would be great if you don't want to post specifics

13-May-15
Can anyone tell me how the spring rains have been in NM this year?

13-May-15
I'm in 36 as we speak and good grief, did we get a lot of rain yesterday and today (at least the Northern half of the unit). So far, this has been a wet spring and it's scheduled to continue as one. I think you drew in a pretty good year, IMO.

13-May-15
Thanks Intruder!

13-May-15
ANY help guys could give on this unit would really be appreciated. Being I may never draw it again, I was hopeful guys wouldn't mind sharing knowledge.

13-May-15
Likewise. I drew first season archery in 36 this year.

All ears.... er... eyes. ;)

14-May-15
No offense, but coming on here and asking for "help on spots to go to" usually doesn't get you too far. It sounds like you want somebody to give you GPS coordinates to a spot where you can go shoot a bull without doing any homework yourself.

There might be better ways to phrase your question; maybe show that you've done some research and ask more about general areas rather than specific "spots"... just sayin...

15-May-15
Horses !!

15-May-15
you might start in nogal canyon and hunt the wilderness

15-May-15
"No offense, but coming on here and asking for "help on spots to go to" usually doesn't get you too far. It sounds like you want somebody to give you GPS coordinates to a spot where you can go shoot a bull without doing any homework yourself. There might be better ways to phrase your question; maybe show that you've done some research and ask more about general areas rather than specific "spots"... just sayin.."

This is part of the research. I have talked to many friends, I plan to make phone calls to biologists, I've purchased several maps, and I've spent hours and hours on google earth. All that only gets you so far so I'm really trying to make a scouting trip this summer as well. You only draw great tags like this a few times in life as a non-res, so I would assume guys wouldn't mind helping. I know I would be glad to help others after i go this year. If my request offends you then ignore it. I hope you don't get the same cold shoulder someday when you draw something good.

15-May-15
Easy there Stephen...

I'm not offended, I was just trying to tell you how it sounds. I've never hunted there so I'm not giving you the cold shoulder, in fact I'm trying to help you with some constructive suggestions and I don't know why you're lashing out at me; sounds like you're the one who is offended. If you're getting the cold shoulder from guys that have hunted there maybe its because they got the same impression that I got. And by the way, I've given and received a lot of help to/from guys on this site and I agree that this is part of the research.

I'm just saying that it might have sounded better if your original post was something like this:

"Hey guys, I'm from Oregon and have hunted elk for many years there. I finally drew a tag in NM unit 36 after trying for several years. I've talked to many friends, I plan to call biologists, I've purchased several maps, I've spent hours and hours on google earth and I'm going to try to do a scouting trip this summer. I'm just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for places to investigate or places to avoid. I'm not looking for anybody's honey-holes just some general advice and I appreciate any suggestions. And if you're looking for advice on hunting elk in Oregon I'd be happy to help."

I think doing it that way shows that you're serious and have done your homework and you're not looking for a handout. Buy hey, if my suggestion offends you... ignore it and move on...

15-May-15
Mike hit the nail on the head. I'm no help on the unit, but I'll be on a ranch with LO tags in Unit 36 this fall. Good luck!

15-May-15
Sorry Mike, not trying to stir things up. I accept your suggestions gladly, and appreciate the insight. I see now how much better your response seems than mine. It's hard to gauge people from just a few sentences. This is the very first time I'll be hunting out of state, and really want to do it right.

15-May-15
No problem Stephen, I hear you that communication is sometimes difficult on these forums because you don't get voice inflection along with the message.

One thing that has worked well for me is if somebody gives me some advice on areas to look at I offer to share with them what I learned about the area. That way they have something to gain from it too by getting my hunting/scouting report on an area that they may hunt again in the future.

I've applied for 36 but I've never drawn it. Good luck with your hunt, sounds like you're on the right track.

12-Jun-15
I've drew the tag twice and done well both times. The country can be rough but every place we hunted we got into bulls, some smaller but never had a problem gettin into animals. Talk to the biologist they will lead you in the right direction. I would say stick to the high country as there are plenty of trails. There was a burn in the area couple of few years ago in the white mountain wilderness that should have sone good feed.

13-Jun-15
I would be more than glad to share what I know, no matter how you phrase the question. I have been in your position and I have had the good luck of having others provide help so I would be happy to pay it forward.

You have what I consider one of the most enjoyable tags I have ever had in my possesion. Though bulls over 330 are very hard to find, they are there. What was so exciting to me was the number of elk in general, plus while I was there they were very vocal. I will send a pm with specifics.

• Sitka Gear