ohiohunter 28-May-15
jims 29-May-15
Mad_Angler 29-May-15
ohiohunter 30-May-15
WV Mountaineer 30-May-15
ELKMAN 31-May-15
B4LITE 02-Jun-15
13-May-15
My old combat boots that I bought in 2005/6 have finally given up the ghost. There is a huge crack across the sole and repair/replacement costs are about half that of some decent boots.

So, I have been reading all kinds of reviews and have settled on Danner East Ridge or Danner Elk Hunters. Both are made in the USA (which is a BIG criteria for me) and both seem to have really good reviews. I've never worn/used boots with the round, self cleaning, knobby sole.

So, here's the question: What are they like? (The knobby sole that is.) It seems they would slip on every rock or hard stick. Do they grip like a Vibram sole? The Elk Hunters are at the top end of my budget but sure don't want to make a $250 mistake.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I need to settle on one and get them purchased soon because September will be here soon and I don't want to hike to the garage with stiff boots not to mention hiking in the mountains.

Thanks in advance.

13-May-15
Too personal a question...it all depends on the fit.

No one boot is going to make everyone happy...you HAVE to get out a try them on.

13-May-15
If you're talking about the soles called air-bobs, they do not shed wet snow very well. They also pick up pine needles on cold/frosty mornings and damp dirt. It all comes off pretty easily if you stomp your feet or kick something like a tree.

They do grip, however, and I've had mine for about 15 years. Rocks, hard earth, mud, snow, you name it. Only thing I ever slipped on was a slick log across a creek. Enough said about that. :0)

13-May-15
My personal opinion is that Danners flat suck. They break down quick, and in no way compete with the good mountain boots.

I'd look at Kenetrak, Crispi, and Lowa in no particular order.

I'd hunt in reboks over danners.

13-May-15
I use Danner and Meindl, but agree with Beendare, it is a very personal matter

13-May-15
Lowas for me, and everyone I've recommended them to have loved them. Renegades are my go to boots.

13-May-15
u should as well research military boots, they have great durability and must meet some strong requirements, as well as some contain gortex, mid range priced and light weight. mine fit like gloves. I'm sure someome here an tell you what currently is available. and for sure go try some on,

13-May-15
As for a US boot, I don't know.

Just wore through my first pare of Meindls. They are at the bottom of the "top end" price bracket. Cabelas has them for $319 I think. Likely you could find them for much less on the web.

Going with Schnees this next time around but you really can't beat a Lowa.

It all depends on the guy. If you're a recreational/occassional hunter, Danners are fine. If you spend some serious days in the woods, you'll want to upgrade. But then again, if you're made of the right stuff, you could do everything in a sandal.

13-May-15
I would look at your needs, which will depend on the terrain you will hunt. I wouldn't own a heavy, hi top boot like a kenetrek for love or money but my hunting terrain doesn't require that type of boot. Low/mid hikers and softer boots are what I wear. Using Quest 4d's currently.

13-May-15
I think you will do just find with the elk hunters.

13-May-15
I can afford only one Lowa. Should I get the right boot or the left boot. :-)

Seriously, my budget won't let me go there. I was more interested in which sole is better. Thanks Old Sarge.

13-May-15
Danner Pronghorns 400. Perfect early season boot.

13-May-15
I agree with a lot of folks that it is a personal choice but given those two options. I would choose the Elk Hunter as I like a higher boot. I use Irish Setter Elk Hunters and they are very high but in the mountains or rough terrain I want all the support I can get. Buy Schnee's if you want an awesome boot even though they are not 100% made in US anymore. Shawn

13-May-15
Merrell Moab $70 at REI starting Friday.

13-May-15
I have a pair of danner hawks that are also made in the USA with the same sole. My experience with them is that they are a good hiking boot and I wear them a lot for deer hunting. I do like the feel of them. Danners are kind of heavy though. the soles do tend to wear fairly quickly. ( USA made danner boots can be rebuilt though) and they also do not support like a pair of kenetreks or lowas will. If you are looking for a boot for elk hunts they will do a good job for you but if you plan to do any more extreme then save a bit more and get something better.

13-May-15
Charles, one other point to consider is this: I've worn through 3 pairs of Danner pronghorns in 7 years. I take pretty good care of my boots as well. They all leaked within the first year and had seems splitting by the end of year 2. The third pair is what I have now and they are shot. I spent $450 or so on all those Danners. If I had spent that same money on a good pair of Lowa's, Crispi's, Meindl's, or several other top brand boots I'd probably still be on the first pair, not have wet feet every morning, and still have time to go on them. Just food for thought.

13-May-15
Bad boots will make your hunt miserable.

Shop around..Lowa renegade gtx mids cost about $150. I have well over 100mi on mine and looking at them you'd never know. They fit very true to size.

13-May-15
I'd also recommend the Lowa Renegade GTX, just briefly searching you can find them for 150-160 online, I've got 3 seasons in mine and I'm betting they last another 3+ years

13-May-15
Danner Pronghorns cost around $150, are very very comfortable, and I have never had a leak in 15 years and 4 pairs. I have worn Meindls and Lowas and Schnee's and Chippawas and some $400 hiking boots . You can pay all you want to for an exotic name boot, but you can't beat Pronghorns. Period.

13-May-15
I had a pair of Danner Full Curls that I really liked, they lasted about 3 years of heavy use...

13-May-15
The best you can afford.

13-May-15
All my Danner pronghorns leaked, I only got bit twice and switched they didn't fit my narrow foot very well, I do have some of the 1000g insulated pronghorns and they aren't leaking yet but they don't have near the miles my uninsulated boots get! The danner elk hunters are better boots than the pronghorns are though, I had the Cabelas version and really liked them. Fit is foremost though and you need to try some on first or be willing to send them back if they don't fit like a glove!

13-May-15
Never owned Danner Elk Hunter boots but I have owned Danner Pronghorns bought off Camo Fire for $99 good boots !!! I have owned a lot of top end boots and I am done paying $400 - $500 for boots !! Meindl's Sitkas were real good but the Meindl's Perfikt Boot were JUNK, had them for several years and they never did break in. Any leather boot you buy just water proof them .

14-May-15
Next year, we're planning a 192 mile trek from the Irish sea to the North sea, from west coast of England to the east coast

My wife has gone with Lowa's Renegade GTX mids, I went with the Salomon Quest 4D GTX

So far, after a decent mileage, we've both still got comfortable dry feet...next year will be the test

14-May-15
I would agree Danners are comfortable yet they do not last long. My favorite boot of all time is AKU.

14-May-15
There are a lot of good backpacking/trekking boots that you can find on sale if you look around. Last winter I was routinely seeing Lowa boots in the 200 dollar range.

I'd wear tennis shoes for a year and save up before I'd buy Danners.

14-May-15
been running Ua Bozeman boots really loving them

14-May-15
The air bob soles work well.I think they grip better than Vibrams and I've always been a fan of vibrams.If you hunt a lot in rocky terrain,you will have a few "bobs" wear through,quicker than Vibram lugs but by then,both would be close to needing resoled anyway.That may be another criteria to think about.Can the model be resoled or is the price point such that it won't matter?

14-May-15
I bought a pair of LOWA boots at REI for my colorado trip last year.

They were perfect. Spent 5 hard days walking in them in all kinds of areas and feet finished the week just like the started.

14-May-15
"Danner Pronghorns cost around $150, are very very comfortable, and I have never had a leak in 15 years and 4 pairs. I have worn Meindls and Lowas and Schnee's and Chippawas and some $400 hiking boots . You can pay all you want to for an exotic name boot, but you can't beat Pronghorns. Period."

Comment is laughable at best.

I went to look at Danner's website. The old school danner, which is now the Grouse or the Sierra look good. Also the east ridge looks good too.

If you want a loafer, go with the Pronghorn.

14-May-15
I guess I'm lucky. None of my Danner's have ever leaked and I have a really old pair of 200g that are damn near worn out and they still don't leak and I wade up creeks with them during turkey season.

14-May-15
Charles, you didn't say what type of hunt you will be on. Will it be a base camp/truck camp style hunt or will it be a backpack hunt. What is the terrain like and how many miles will you cover in a day? Do you anticipate packing elk out on your back? Whatever you choose, you really don't need heavy insulated boots for a September elk hunt. I've always worn uninsulated boots and can't imagine trying to cover a lot of ground in the mountains in September in insulated boots.

I've had 2 pair of Danner Pronghorns and yes they are/were comfortable but they leak and they don't have the support or durability I need for the kind of mountain hunting I do. I use mine now for walking around in the woods behind my house, mowing the lawn, etc.

I've had several pairs of Danners in different models over the year including a pair of the Grouse with the bob sole that I currently own. They are decent but the bob sole is clunky. I tried them for backpack elk hunting one year but they were a little too heavy with not much support and my feet got sore.

I've been backpack elk hunting mostly in Lowa Tibets the last several years and really like them. They are a little too stiff and heavy to be the optimum hunting boot but that's the trade off for a heavy duty supportive backpacking boot and the extra stiffness and support pays off when you're packing 100 pounds of meat on your back.

Last year, based on advice from the Bowsite I bought a pair of Lowa Renegade GTX for a less strenuous base camp type elk hunt. I tried on Solomons and several other brands but the Lowas felt the best on my feet. I love the Renegades and they are now my go-to boot for any hunt that does not involve heavy backpacking, although I have worn them while packing 80 pounds over flat ground for a few miles.

I would echo what others have said and definitly give the Lowa Renegade GTX's a look; they are in your price range.

14-May-15
Luckier than me anyway. My Danner Pronghorns leak like screen doors, both of my last two pair have. I also use leather conditioner and waterproofer on my boots, dry them after each trip, and keep them cleaned up. Boots are like bows, find what works for you and fits you best. They aren't all built equally.

14-May-15
I also give a big thumbs up to the Lowa Renegade GTX...very happy with my purchase!

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-May-15
since I have went barefoot type shoes ... I'm not so sure " boots" is what I'd wear anymore.

I know that's not a popular thing to say but comfortable feet is very important

14-May-15
As is obvious from the wide array of responses, as stated earlier, boot choice is a very individual matter. Used with my personalized orthotics, Asolo Bajura's are as good as it gets...for me. Lightweight, as waterproof as a boot can get, great support, and comfortable.

I would recommend getting boots from a company that has a solid return policy and try as many brands/models as you can until you find the one that you'll be happy with for many years to come. Not many things can turn a great hunt into a miserable one as fast as sore, aching, blistered feet.

FWIW, MANY years ago I wore a pair of lightweight, zero support shoes called Stalking Shoes from a company Paul Brunner ran up in Montana. Several days into the season, I developed a rather nasty case of plantar fasciitis that took years to recover from. Just food for thought.

14-May-15
go waterproof!

14-May-15
i"m convinced that GoreTex plug up after time making your feet sweat. You can spend $400 on boots but after 5yrs a $100 pair will feel more comfortable...

14-May-15
"i"m convinced that GoreTex plug up after time making your feet sweat. You can spend $400 on boots but after 5yrs a $100 pair will feel more comfortable..."

Use Sno-Seal and you're right. Use mink oil, and that's not the case. Do that, and I couldn't disagree with the rest of your statement more.

14-May-15
I used to be a big Danner fan, but the last two pair have leaked in the first year and the last pair hurt my feet...In the market for a new pair of boots, but don't know what to get this time...looking hard at the Lowa's, but I like a taller boot generally speaking...

14-May-15
"If you want a loafer, go with the Pronghorn."

It is always better for one to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

For those who do not know, Danner was purchased by LaCrosse a few years ago.

14-May-15
Lowa Renegade GTX's are great little boots, I have a pair of the lightweight meindels that are made for cabelas's, these ugly boots are my favorite. Weight is a big factor for me now, especially for elk boots

14-May-15
sundowner, no need to get personal and start namecalling here...

Just curious, have you hunted elk in the mountains in September in your 400 gram insulated Danner Pronghorns?

There are plenty of guys here who have tried Danner Pronghorns on a backpack elk hunt in the mountains in September and don't recommend them and possibly consider them more of a "loafer" than a mountain boot. Maybe that's why they're called "Pronghorns" rather than "Elk"...

14-May-15
I have worn pronghorns elk hunting 15 times in at least a half dozen or more units. I wear 200g in September though.

14-May-15
More power to you I guess if Pronghorns work for you. It just goes to show how "personal" boot choice can be.

wyobullshooter, I believe I read several years ago that mink oil will cause the leather to soften, break down and deteriorate. I don't know if it's true but I remember hearing it or reading it...

14-May-15
A guy could probably go on an elk hunt in Chuck Taylors but I wouldn't suggest it. I'm thinking my next boot purchase will be a pair of Lowa Renegades for my mule deer and turkey hunts, a good pair of stiffer boots brand TBD at a later time for hunting elk in tougher terrain, and I'll stick with my Alphaburly's for whitetails. Bottom line is just find what works for you personally.

14-May-15
"sundowner, no need to get personal and start namecalling here..."

How do you react when your opinion is called "laughable"? It wasn't me that got "personal".

"Just curious, have you hunted elk in the mountains in September in your 400 gram insulated Danner Pronghorns?"

Yes, in late September up to 8000' in the Wyoming and Wind River Ranges, many times.

14-May-15
I purchased a pair of Danner Elk Hunters and I was so disappointed with them that I took them back to Cabela's. Worst boot I ever purchased!!!

14-May-15
I purchased a pair of Danner Elk Hunters and I was so disappointed with them that I took them back to Cabela's. Worst boot I ever purchased!!! They do not support your ankles.

14-May-15
sundowner, if someone called my opinion laughable, when I had the experience to back up that opinion, I'd get a little pi$$ed myself. Fact is, you were much more low-key than I would have been... ESPECIALLY when the topic is purely subjective!. Gotta love the internet.

Cheesehead Mike, can't say if that's true or not. 5yrs from now will tell the tale. I do know that while Sno-Seal certainly helps water repellency, it also seals up the pores in the leather to the point I got tired of dealing with damp feet from sweating during warm weather. Haven't had that problem since switching to mink oil.

14-May-15
Gore-tex has the durability of tissue paper. using it in a dynamic environment like a flexible boot and expecting it to last is wishful thinking in my opinion. The only gore tex boots I have ever had that didn't leak are my current quest 4d and the only water they have seen is from my sink test. They'll leak soon enough. I went thru 3 pair of leaking renegades before I switched to the quest. Buy what works for you.

14-May-15
I've had great results with Schnees Beartooth boot. I've struggled for years with boots and most have not come close to my expectations. After wearing these boots all fall, winter and spring horn hunting, I am truly impressed.

14-May-15
I have a pair of Danner pronghorns and they leak but they are comfy. When I went to Northwest Territories, I bought a pair of Kennetreks. Great support but they tore my feet up. 2 guys on the same hunt up there had new Danners and both blew the sides out of them. Maybe just a coincidence but not good in my opinion. I now wear Schnees Granite and like them a lot.

14-May-15
Thanks Rob. I really didn't mean any harm. And I also really did not mean to get off topic.

I have had good luck with Danner Pronghorn boots on several elk hunts in New Mexico and Wyoming, and deer hunts in Illinois and other places. I am not particularly tough on boots, but they have held up well and kept my feet dry. I have only bought one pair since Danner was purchased by LaCrosse, but they seem fine.

14-May-15
No right or wrong answer here, bad thing is, you won't really know until you use them in a hunting situation.

Don't have any experience with Danner so I can't help on that. I do know that for me, Kennetrek doesn't work.

15-May-15
I have worn Danner Pronghorns. I agree with WB that anything Gore-tex is eventually going to leak. When I shot my elk in 2013 my Pronghorns were froze solid in the morning so I put on my 10 year old Wolverine backups. Heck they are probably closer to 15 years old now. No problems and the elk I was tracking didn't seem to mind. My feet sure didn't know the difference.

Buy something that fits good and break it in by wearing it; I feel like this advice is simple and the most important. I honestly don't believe it has to be anything really expensive (to a point; I mean I wouldn't recommend going out in something from Walmart, but I'm sure it's been done) for most of the hunting we do from whitetail to elk to bears to antelope. If you are going to go after mountain goat or Dalls then maybe you want something a little more supportive as suggested above.

15-May-15
so whats the deal? Does someone here actually know if GoreTex plugs up over time and does not let moisture out anymore. I'm not buyin it wybullshooter, my feet sweat and they don't lie, new boots, even cheap ones are better than my older expensive ones. And I'm talking well cared for, used just for hunting and always use the best recommended grease and always good wood socks.

15-May-15
I had a pair of Elk hunters (or something like that) from Danner and they leaked after my elk hunt. Sent them back and they replaced them for free so customer service was great.

I have been using Meindl Cabela's boots. Very comfortable and no issues.

Been watching/following Mike (Cheesehead) posts on the Lowa's and going to get a pair to break in this summer for a fall hunt.

15-May-15
Lama, no need to do a long break in with the renegades they are great out of the box. You'll be impressed, I was. I also have the rangers which served me well, a little heavy but solid.

15-May-15
I agree, very little break-in on the Renegades.

15-May-15
Ohio & Mike,

Good to know thank you.

15-May-15
I have tried the pronghorns and was not a fan. Leaked on me too. I went to Kenetrek and they tore my heals up something fierce. Yes, I broke them in, and sent them back twice to get worked on.

After that I took the advice of a good friend and bought Crispi. Without a doubt the best boot I have ever hunted with. They are spendy but well worth the money, and would highly recommend them.

15-May-15
All this shows how important your feet are , don't skimp on boots, your feet are with out a doubt the most vital , most, probably won't realize this until they have bad feet, and that sucks!! Trust me !! I know.

19-May-15
Wow!! Never thought a simple question about boot soles would open up something like this. For this hunt, money dictates that I buy Danner's. I was curious about the bubble soles vs. the Vibram soles.

After "hearing" everyone's thoughts I think I'm going to stick with what I know...Vibram.

Some have asked about the hunt. I'll be hunting out of a camp and suspect I'll put in no more than 4 or 5 miles a day. Yes, I'll be packing my 10 X 10 elk out on my back. :-)

I am going to purchase them soon and get them well broken in before my trip. I spent 2 days and a night in the Army (Infantry) and I have to agree with everyone that painful feet are more than just a pain in the boots.

Fortunately I have some pretty tough feet. I've seen guys pull off their boots and blood come out while my feet were barely red. Guess I'm lucky. :-)

I'll post my two cents worth as I start breaking in the Danner East Ridge boots.

19-May-15
I would think the bobbed sole would have issues. Just my opinion as I break those off just hiking around home.

19-May-15
The Made in USA Danners are a lot better than the others so you should be good to go as long as they fit feet well. Good Luck!

19-May-15
Had 2 pair of Danner Pronghorns before my LOWA boots. No comparison as to which one was more comfortable and stood the test of prairie stalking and elk hunting.

LOWA are the best.

19-May-15
I'd consider pronghorns a one season boot, two pairs and never had either pair make it to year two without leaking. IMO very few of the goretex liners do. They separate at the seams with a lot of flexing. If it's a more flexible light boot with goretex a good chance of issues. Stiffer boots aren't going to stress the seams as much and it works.... better....

Many times I could only wish my goretex would plug up....

I have the soft brown rubber vibram air bobs on my Russells now. (3rd sole on them) I like them for grass, etc. They self clean OK. Good for most surfaces but are really bad on wet rocks crossing creeks, etc. (and wet logs, heheheh...) Not much that is good with that but felt I'd guess, but something with sharper edges would likely be better than the rounded edges.

Mostly I like the softer brown rubber than the actual tread, much quieter for stalking than the common hard black soles. But these are elk we're talking about, it won't be that critical. You can get away with a lot more than you can with other animals.

28-May-15
Follow up: I bought the Danner East Ridge with the vibram sole. I have just over 10 miles in them now. They are not broken in. I read some reviews suggesting they didn't need breaking in but I find that hard to believe. The soles are very stiff as is the lower half of the uppers. In my opinion that is just where you need the stiffness. The upper half of the uppers is soft and comfy. These boots are considered uninsulated but they are plenty warm. My guess is they will keep my feet warm in some fairly cold weather.

I have 98 days to my hunt and I plan to have at least 100 miles in these boots before I get there.

Again, I'll follow up with you. So far I really like the boots. They are built like tanks. :-)

28-May-15
Stiff soles and stalking elk w/ a bow in my experience usually are not conducive to success. Let us know how they hold up after your 100mi break in. Do a submerge test afterwards.

Curious, where are you from and where are you going to be hunting?

29-May-15
Ohiohunter, you are right on with your comment in regard to trying to stalk quietly with stiff, thick soles! They may be great for sheep and mtn goat terrain but a nightmare for elk!

Not all vibram is created equally. Some of the super hard vibram are super loud on rock..and slippery as heck when it gets wet. Softer vibram is quieter but may wear a little quicker.

29-May-15
ohiohunter... what is a submerge test?

For me, I've always had better luck with "wet grass" test. If I walk a mile or two in wet grass, that tells the story. Many boots will seem waterproof but fail the wet grass test.

I especially like this test since it is nearly identical to what is needed when hunting. Occasionally stepping in a mud puddle is pretty easy for most boots to pass.

30-May-15
Exactly what the name implies. Fill up the stationary and submerge them for a period of time. Good luck finding wet grass where I'm at.. I'd have to drive a few hours to find wet grass let alone a few miles of it.. by the time I got there it would be dry grass.

30-May-15
Charles, glad you wadded through this and got the info you needed.

FWIW, I have been putting Mink Oil on boots for 30 years. No problems at all breaking down the leather. God Bless

31-May-15
I would stay clear of Danner. Look at the Meindl offereings from cabelas. Great boots for a fair price. I like the Denalis and the new Western Guides.

02-Jun-15
I've got a pair of Rocky boots 800 gram insulation that after I replaced the soles with military boot soles have lasted me about 20 years; comfortable and warm for Georgia. I'm about ready to replace the soles for the third time. Good boot for about $130 back then.

• Sitka Gear