Jaquomo 15-May-15
wyobullshooter 15-May-15
Mossyhorn 15-May-15
cityhunter 15-May-15
coelker 15-May-15
Bowboy 15-May-15
Mule Power 15-May-15
15-May-15
Headed to Wyoming for archery season for the first time. Tried to do as much research as possible and have landed on units 90, 102, 104. As I've been doing more research and looking at outfitters for these areas, seems like a large percentage of small raghorn type bulls. I'm not seeing much in the 300 range coming out of these areas.

What does this area actually hold? I know there are a lot of elk throughout western Wyoming but if I'd like a chance at a solid 300 inch bull, should I look elsewhere?

15-May-15

15-May-15
Is this your first time elk hunting? If so I would not hold out for a 300 bull anywhere. There are 300 bulls there, but your typical bull is not going to be 300 imo, similar to A LOT of other elk country.

I think as you go further north the trophy potential in the NF and Wilderness might get a little better. You have to be more aware of wolves and griz as you go north though, and you are required to have an outfitter for the Wilderness.

15-May-15
I've hunted elk for over a decade but never outside Oregon.

15-May-15
Suspect you're seeing lots of smaller bulls because that's what most bowhunters who go on those type of hunts are satisfied with. If an outfitter has a high percentage of honest 300+ bulls for archery, it's going to be on a serious LE unit and cost some serious cash.

That said, all the units over there have 300+ bulls. Just depends on what you are willing to hold out for and if you're willing to go home with an unfilled tag.

15-May-15
I'll echo what Jaquomo posted. The areas you listed are general areas. It doesn't matter what general area you hunt in Wyoming, they are ALL hunted hard, which results in most bulls not living long enough to get into what most would consider trophy class. Unless you have access to lightly hunted private land, which is not going to be cheap if even possible, setting your sights on a 300+ bull is more likely than not going to result in disappointment. They're there, but they're certainly in the extreme minority. A 280 bull is a very good bull in most, if not all, general areas, and even they aren't in great supply.

15-May-15
Good to know. I just want to make sure I'm picking an area that at least gives me a chance of getting into some quality Bulls. As we all know some areas have good genetics and some don't. Trying to figure that out from afar can be challenging. My plan is to hunt hard and put some miles down and hopefully be successful in taking a decent branch bull.

Thanks

15-May-15
WY has wolfs which love big slow bulls

15-May-15
Any elk with a bow is an accomplishment. For a new comer it is good just to see elk, let alone kill one. Genetics is not as much of a factor as is age. As mentioned every unit has a couple big bulls. Some units have more... Any bull with a bow is a good bull. I know guys who have hunted for years and never seen a true 300" bull during the season. Let alone killed one.

15-May-15
I've hunted up in that general area since 1994. There a lot of 280 to 300 class bulls. If you get off the beaten path you can find some really good bulls pushing 350, but remember there not behind every tree.

Good luck!

15-May-15
All of those units offer legit opportunities for you to kill a 300+ bulls. The equation is simple... but it isn't. A: work harder and leave the other hunters behind. It can definitely be done because hunting is good enough closer to the road that lots of guys are satisfied not to go further. And B: You'll have to pass those 280s.. which might not be easy either if you haven't killed many 6 point bulls.

320-330+ bulls are there as well if you're in the right place. Hell... the National Elk Refuge has a few 400 inchers running around every year!

• Sitka Gear