Scrappy 17-May-15
Scrappy 17-May-15
Scrappy 17-May-15
Eric B. 18-May-15
Mark Watkins 18-May-15
Fisher 18-May-15
TD 18-May-15
15-May-15
Just sold my little travel trailer. Looking at a 6x10 or 6x12 to convert into a hunting camp. I know a few post have been on the subject in the past. Thank you! I'm looking for insight on must haves, don'ts etc. & specifically layout. Thanks

15-May-15
Eric, I am in the process of converting my 6x12 trailer right now. I have already added solar, LED lighting interior and exterior, power inverter (for 110 plugs) and have a small 12" tall double door cabinet I am going to hang in the front along with a plywood counter top. As for sleeping I went with cots from Cabelas they were much cheaper than doing a fold down bed like in most travel trailers. I am running a Mr. Heater portable buddy to take the chill off if needed.

I tried to do it as cost effective as I could, right now I am about $400 into everything (excluding trailer cost) it will sleep 2 comfortably and haul my rzr and all our gear wherever I need to go.

Let me know if you want any specifics on the solar or lighting, I would be happy to let you know.

ADam

15-May-15
Sounds like you have a great one in the works ! I'm not committed to any design yet but was thinking fold down crosswise across the front? (I'm short. Lol) Room for storage and place to hang wet clothes. Already have the mr. Buddy ! Want to haul my 4 wheeler as well. Thoughts on the empty space above the 4 wheeler? Not sure of insulation behind sheeting? Foam board or spray on

15-May-15
I was going to do this then said why bother i have enough projects on my hands. good luck

15-May-15

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
Kinda good timing on this thread. Just got started on mine myself. Have been using the 6x12 trailer for work for the last 3-4 years and have recently outgrown it. Decided it would turn it I to a "low cost" hunting camp. I decided to forgo the electric and just use propane lanterns. I didn't want to do a bunch of built-in stuff just in case I want to multi-purpose it or sell it in a couple years. I setteled on store-bought bunks, folding chairs/table, and a pop-up treestanding canopy for a little outdoor area.

The challenges I see are screens for the doors, and lack of windows. I think I'm gonna put in a pop-up roof vent and remove the interior paneling and insulate with foam board and re-install paneling. Going to put some cheap carpet on the floor as well. You gotta be really short to sleep cross-wise in my 6' trailer, I'm only 5-9 and it ain't gonna happen for me!

We used it on a test run in KS a couple weeks ago, and it worked really well. The weather was really mild and no bugs, so not a hard core test, but a good maiden voyage. Wish I had some pics of our camp set up in KS, but I forgot to take any! I think it will work fine for my needs/budget.

Shoot me a PM if you guys want to discuss specifics or ideas. I'm always looking for/willing to share good ideas.

--Jim

15-May-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
Jim u forgot the toilet heck i have some joint compound bucket with lids LOL PS Jim never open a compound bucket on a jobsite !

Eric did u sell a camper! I have both camper and enclosed trailer if a guys owns a enclosed then its a good move but to go out and buy a trailer and then do a build out it would be cheaper to buy a used camper.

15-May-15
I like those bunks Jim. I have been using 2 cots side by side and it works okay just no room in between them. as far a storage above, since I have a rzr the roll cage prevents me from putting anything on the roof or sides for storage so I am just gonna keep the small cabinet up front. the hanging wet clothes would be a great idea maybe a removable closet rod from side to side? I was also trying to find a screen for my side an back door but no such luck. Home depot has screens that retract from side to side but they are too tall for side door. I will try to get some pictures of mine, its been all over and hasnt let me down.

Adam

15-May-15
Adam, those bunks were a bit of an investment, but really not too bad in the big picture, plus I can take them out and use them else where as well. Honestly I thought they were pretty dang comfortable as well. If you buy some make sure you get the 7" height extention.

Also, as far as the screens I have bought some magnetic closure screen door thingie that I think will work pretty good. For sure on the front/side door. The back is gonna be a little more challenging, but i think it will work fine. Have not installed them yet, waiting till I get the was insulated.

I personally don't haul a atv, so I don't want any thing overhead as far as storage. I want full headroom, but I can see where it might be handy. Gonna do a little shelf of some kind in the front of mine, but kinda low profile if you will.

City--any tree will work for me, no bucket necessary...

15-May-15
We have done quite a few, and have had customers do quite a few as well. Once you get some specifics as to what you want let me know, and I will give as much advice as you like.

Personally, if I was going to the trouble I would put in a water heater, and a onboard furnace, a converter, and an inverter with a decent sized battery bank...dependent on usage required of course.

15-May-15
I have not measured a 6' wide trailer. I'm only 5'6" so I'm assuming I could fit across ? Thoughts on insulation? I would also want maybe 2 windows for cross ventilation and a roof vent

15-May-15
I have not measured a 6' wide trailer. I'm only 5'6" so I'm assuming I could fit across ? Thoughts on insulation? I would also want maybe 2 windows for cross ventilation and a roof vent

15-May-15
I just measured mine, inside is 5'-8", I'm sure it varies a bit by brand though. I like the idea of windows, but don't want to go cutting holes for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I plan to just leave the doors open for ventilation. I'm working on a system to vary how much they are open.

My buddy was worried someone would come by and latch the doors from the outside while we were asleep. That would suck...

--Jim

15-May-15
A simple gate latch would provide security in use but the external locks would drive me insane.

15-May-15
I built a bunk and two sets of rails - put the bed up on the high rail so I can pull my atv in underneath - for the trip out - unload the trailer then put the bed down on the lower set of rails for sleeping -

15-May-15
For insulation I used the foiled bubble wrap stuff - used contact cement to glue it to ceiling - I'd like to remove paneling and insulate behind it -the pink house wrap stuff works good for that 1/4" thick - use adequate ventilation - contact cement is potent!

15-May-15
I have a couple trailers, tents, and now a nice motorhome. They all have their place and purpose depending on the planned adventure.

This is basic, but makes a big difference. Bolt on or weld on stabilizer jacks at the rear corners so that when unhitched, you can drop them down and crank the tongue jack to prevent tipping and movement. They make it really stable.

Put in a smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector. Cooking or using a heater can be dangerous. You don't want to wake up dead, it would ruin your day.

Best wishes.

15-May-15
Go onto craigslist.or for your area and look up campers/rvs.

You will find everything you need to pimp out a trailer.

Just about a month ago I saw a camper dinette/table looked brand new for 300.00 that was asking price so I am sure it could have been cheaper.

15-May-15
Thx everyone. Another question... Do the v nose ones give u any added benefit other than a pie shaped cubby hole?

15-May-15

Mr_steve's embedded Photo
We use a 16 foot trailer and it is awesome. Good way to have a trailer that you can use for hunting then clean it out and use it at home the rest of the year. We have the same cots as JTreeman and they are slick.

15-May-15

16-May-15
MR Steve , maybe I can just use yours ? Lol nice

16-May-15
If you don't fit sideways, and since you are wanting to carry a ATV you could make bunks from the ceiling, or from the walls. Just make them so they fold up or retract when not in use.

17-May-15

AmericanBwana's embedded Photo
Been working on my conversion since March.

So far we've put 2" of insulation in the roof, 1" in the sides, added LED lights, window in the door, RV style lock, sanded and stained the walls, painted the floor, Fantastic FAN, power port for the phones / tablets, and are about 90% done with the front shelves.

We are taking her up the weekend of the 29th for a shake down trip.

AB

17-May-15

Sleeping area will hold two cots, with plenty of room to walk between them. We are currently designing another bed solution.

17-May-15

The front shelves are a work in progress.

We also have an LED light stashed up under the top shelf.

17-May-15

Power box up front.

I've been running the fan for the better part of two days, and I'm still at 12.3V.

We also have a 10 watts LED work light to illuminate the cargo ramp, and a 'porch' light near the door.

The trailer is a 7x16 V-Nose Tandem axle.

The electrical area will be closed off sometime in the future.

17-May-15
I bought a new Cargomate 6'x12' single axle enclosed trailer last year to haul my RZR and camp in. I added the following options: - 6" extra height to allow the RZR to fit (6'-6" walls) through the back door. - stabilizing jacks on the back. - a 3' wide RV style door with window and screen door. - insulation in the walls and roof. - two 30" x 30" sliding and screened windows above the wheels - a folding front jack that is out of the way if you want to drop down the tail gate on the truck. - eight floor tie downs.

The unit came with hinged barn style doors in the back, and I added a couple J-channels outside to carry a loading ramp that shares common duty with my open snowmobile trailer. Also got the Dexter axle option that provided maximum ground clearance, and it doesn't drag on anything I am willing to go over with my F350.

I really like the unit. I painted it inside before we ever used it. The size fits the 50" RZR fine, and for camping I use a small folding table, propane stove, paper towel rack, plastic wash basin, 5 gal water jug, folding chair, folding cot (Swedish), a small propane heater that runs on a one # bottle. I throw a large old towel on the floor, and have a broom attached to the wall for clean-up. Even though the unit has lights, you have to have the truck lights on for them to work. I end up using a small $5.00 Canadian Tire store LED light that has a magnet in it and sticks to a screw head in the ceiling above the table. I added about 25 large cup hooks to hang stuff from. Really glad I ordered the options I did, as the unit is an ideal small hunter's toy hauler. Loaded I am about 2900#s.

17-May-15

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
In a the field last fall. Spent 27 out of 29 nights in it. Temps ranging from single digits to uppers sixties.

17-May-15

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Insulation and 12 volt wiring all the way around.

17-May-15

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Kept the electric really simple.

17-May-15

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Kept the bunk and shelf above it so it can be slid right out the back.

17-May-15

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Dining table in the nose.

17-May-15

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Kitchen sink

18-May-15
Thanks everyone for your ideas.

18-May-15
Sweet! Great creativity! Nice kitchen sink!

Mark

18-May-15
When I travel alone, I love to take my 5x10 trailer. It is light and easy to tow. It hauls the 4 wheeler with plenty of gear room. When I arrive, unload the 4 wheeler and setup cot and camp.

I made a shelf Over the front half of the 4 wheeler which holds extra gear when traveling, then at camp makes a nice kitchen counter area. The foot of the cot goes under there on one side to maximize space.

I made a bracket for the tongue and mounted a battery box for a type 27 12 volt truck battery. That powers the 12 volt lights and recharges phone, ipad, etc. for a week easily. Small generator has a built in 12 volt charger in case of need for recharge.

Where are you guys ordering parts and supplies for conversions? I am looking for a way to get 110 power from outside to inside without water or snow getting in. I want to mount a small generator on the tongue to power a chest freezer inside the trailer for a moose hunt. I will let the generator run for awhile when driving on the hi way.

Thanks and best wishes.

18-May-15
Somehow I expected to see a bunch more unistrut furniture in Treeman's trailer....

• Sitka Gear