HDE 17-May-15
SuchLike 17-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 18-May-15
GDx 19-May-15
DonVathome 20-May-15
Amoebus 20-May-15
BOWUNTR 20-May-15
15-May-15
this year i will be getting to hunt elk for the first time. the season is 15 days here in NM but i will only get to hunt part of the season. i will have 3 days and then again 5 days to hunt. how many changes of camo should i reasonably need?

15-May-15
During the hunt, for example a 7 day bivy hunt, I have one t-shirt, one long sleeve layer, a puffy, and a soft-shell type jacket (Kuiu guide). 2 pairs of briefs and 2 pair of socks.

Coming out, I wash everything except for the jacket. Then I'm good for another 7 days.

Hunts from a car/wall tent/house/cabin I'm sure you could alternate as much as you wallet could handle.

15-May-15
Just the ones your wearing. No need to being anymore.

15-May-15
suggest no clothing that contains cotton. Merino wool for me.

I'd have a spare set just incase you get muddy, really dirty, or just want a new pair of cloths.

If packing everything on your back, think light, layers, and extra socks.

15-May-15
2X on what Chasewild said. If I come to a running stream I kinda wash out my wool briefs and pair of socks and zip tie them to the out side of my pack. Always dry for the next day most of the time in a few hours. It just kinda makes me feel better. Ed

15-May-15
You didn't say if it will be a basecamp or backpack hunt. Either way, for a 3-day and 5-day hunt you shouldn't need much.

If you're backpacking in, what you're wearing plus a change of socks and underwear, a jacket and raingear some lightweight merino wool long underwear and maybe an extra shirt for layering. You'll want to use your raingear and be careful not to get soaked since you don't have a change of clothes.

For a basecamp hunt you can have at least one complete change of clothes at camp in case you get soaked, really dirty, sweaty or bloody.

15-May-15
it would be a base camp setup. i had planned on changing out of the camo each day at camp into jeans and regular camping type of stuff so not to get them full of smoke and stuff from the campfire. Maybe even put the camo in a bag with fresh cut pine boughs each night to help cover any sweat scent from the day before.

15-May-15
One Sitka, one Kuiu, one Kryptek, one Realtree, & one Mossy Oak should get you through the hunts.

15-May-15
"I" would not put my clothes in a bag. I let mine air out and then bring in side before bed. Many of times I'm too tired after hunting and trow my clothes on the floor of the tent and go to bed shortly after dark. A good nights sleep would be 7 hours. A great night is 8.. :)

15-May-15
"smoke and stuff from the campfire"

I have not had a campfire in elk camp since the 1990s. There were so many fire ban years we just got used to having a cold camp. I now prefer it.

For 3-5 days. The answer is two. To me it doesn't matter if you basecamp or bivy. Gotta have a spare of most clothes just in case. If it's a bivy it's very light stuff and I would plan on wearing my rain gear and everything else I have brought if it's cold.

15-May-15
Two of what you have will be fine. No need to buy anything new.

15-May-15
Four days for 1 pair of underwear....frontwards, backwards, then turn inside out and repeat.

15-May-15
Yup. Agree with others. Two of what you have will be great. Don't buy any new outer just to have two though. One will suffice

I generally take two pairs of Sitka pants for hunting, the lighter Ascent if it's warm, the 90% if it's cooler.

Last year in AZ I would change throughout the day, wearing the 90% in the morning, and changing mid-day when I got hot and ate lunch at the truck.

Other hunts I've worn one or the other pair for 7 to 10 days straight.

Bake

15-May-15
Might depend on how many close shots you miss. :-)

15-May-15
"One Sitka, one Kuiu, one Kryptek, one Realtree, & one Mossy Oak should get you through the hunts."

Hahah. I KNEW I was doing something wrong!

15-May-15
I bring a ton on the ride out west but leave it all in the rig ,If i really need new clothes just a hike back to the rig

15-May-15
Synthetics will be NASTY after 5 days...Merino Wool...not so much.

I take a couple of Merino shirts of different weights to allow for drops or increases in the temps. Space Rain Jacket and down vest is the only other thing I need...I'm good down to the mid 20 degree range.

Best of Luck Jeff

15-May-15
Well, I hate to stink. Even on a bivy hunt, I bring one undershort and one long sleeve camo T shirt per day, one extra pair of socks, and as much outerwear as the type of hunt allows. Undershorts and camo Ts weigh next to nothing, and take up very little space. For a bivy/back-pack hunt only one set of outerwear. If space/weight is not an issue, one pair of pants and long sleeve shirt for every 3 days. I also bring one hunter bath towel per day, for a quick clean up in the morning.

15-May-15
If it's in the 70-80°+ one totwo days is max for us, 60° or less longer!

15-May-15
Three pairs of underwear and socks, two base layer merino shirts, one each of your outerwear, and a big pack of unscented baby wipes!

16-May-15
Merino base layers and 1 or 2 outer layers if I am packing in. Extra clothes in the truck. I always have a few extra pairs of socks.

You wont beat the wind

16-May-15
I have to fly with camp so even base camp is pretty spartan. As stated above, sll base layers, most second layers are merino wool. Awesome stuff for the mountains. Zero cotton.

For a two week hunt (10days in the field) I'll Pack 2 pairs pants (and just added a pair of KUIU attack pants in a darker solid color to travel in. Awesome pants to fly with. they make 3 pair to hunt with if needed)

Three to four pair base layer shirts. One pair base layer bottoms, maybe two if I have extra space and weight. One or maybe two second layers (heavy shirt/sweater) Outer layers a merino wool vest, puffy, and a Yukon rain jacket for my outer shell.

Spike camp usually just what I'm wearing (one of each) plus the outer layers above and an extra pair of socks. I'll pack 3 or 4 pairs of socks for the trip. Socks are the only thing I'll double up on for spike camp. Take care of your feet. I'll pack my normal hunting hat and a beanie for colder stuff and to sleep in. Don't neglect your head, both sun protection and weather.

If this thread was IRT scent control, that is for your camp mates. After a couple days just your pack will stink (if it didn't already) not to mention your hat, your bow and and everything else. Clothes? Change your clothes out from hermetically sealed bags all you want. By the time you hit the top of the ridge with everything else.....

Personally, I just get used to what it is. Hunt the wind.

16-May-15
Depends on the heat, weather and any harvests on what I need.

Sweaty is for sure underwear/socks change everyday---

Blood from a harvest means outer wear change for next day---

Heavy rain or all day drizzle/muddy means change--dry out--change-- dry out--

I agree, I think you have a good plan in mind.

Good luck, Robb

17-May-15
Try Ex Officio underwear. Stink resistant, very quick drying. Good stuff.

17-May-15
Not elk but a two week Alaska moose hunt...

Wear one outfit. Wool socks, merino briefs, base layer pant, first lite outer pants(I love these), merino base top, wool army shirt, 90% jacket.

A spare pair of merino briefs and a few spare pairs of socks.

Maybe a spare merino base layer to sleep in our change if really wet.

And rain gear.

For Alaska, one more layer that is a bit heavier/warmer. For a3-5 days elk hunt, not sure you need that.

And a hat, gloves and neck gaitor. Those can be merino. They won't weigh anything but will and a lot if heatfif needed.

17-May-15
I usually wear the one set and bring a couple pairs of socks and underwear. I have extra,but when I'm pack in, in i can always come back to camp after a few days and change if need be.

Most over pack when it comes to clothes.

17-May-15
My first question is, why come back to camp during mid-day? You can't kill an elk at camp. Bring your lunch and snacks with you and just stay out all day if you are in elk. If not, then you can come back, regroup and hunt another area. Fire smoke doesn't really affect the elk smelling you. They are used to that smell.

For a hunt from a tent or camper just use what you have and don't worry about changing your clothes every day. I will wear the same shirt and pants for days unless they get wet, muddy, or bloody. If in a camper then change your clothes if you are able to take a shower.

17-May-15

17-May-15
Totally up to you really. The elk will see, smell, and hear you anyway.

17-May-15
Two is plenty. I place a far higher priority on having fresh pairs of socks. I usually change in to a fresh pair mid day. Amazing how great it makes your feet feel to let them dry out a little and then toss on a fresh pair

18-May-15
In September, you can wash stuff in a creek and hang it to dry on a tree.

Even going in for a week, I never have more than what I'd wear in the AM on a cold day, although I have separate long johns/dry socks for sleeping in.

19-May-15
this is what I found works for me:

shirts, pants, base layers - 7 days outer fleece, hat, gloves - entire season socks, underwear 3 days

I plan to go for 12-14 days, so 2 complete changes of clothes, 5 socks, and 5 underbritches

git r done

20-May-15
one BUT I try to have:

1 camo rain gear 1 warm camo (if needed and if driving) in case I sit 1 light weight all around use, quick drying. Add layers for warmth, walk dry if you get wet.

An extra set is nice if possible though.

20-May-15
Don't wear camo, but agree with the merino wool.

20-May-15
"Four days for 1 pair of underwear....frontwards, backwards, then turn inside out and repeat."

Brilliant.... I'm gonna try this! Ed F

• Sitka Gear