JMG 18-May-15
c3 18-May-15
bullelk 18-May-15
Retired-11-2000 18-May-15
bigeasygator 18-May-15
ABQBW 19-May-15
Genesis 19-May-15
15-May-15
I started about two months ago working out religiously to go on my first elk hunt. Well about a week ago I broke 3 ribs and my exercise has been limited to walking on a treadmill for a possible four more weeks!

I really am not in that bad of shape to begin with but this being my first elk hunt I'm a little worried. So for the fitness guru's out there is 10 weeks going to be enough time to be ready or I'm I going to need a helicopter to get me off the mountain?

15-May-15
Not knowing your age and weight makes it a bit harder, but you have plenty of time to get into shape. If you were already working out for two months you should be a bit better already. When you get the clearance on the ribs, pick up the pace with some cardio and you should be fine.

I really like doing the Beachbody videos, Insanity has a 60 day program and if you start that and do it right up to you leave, you will be just fine.

15-May-15
You'll be fine. Depending on how high you'll be hunting, you'll more than likely need a couple days to adjust either way. DONOT overdo it once you start back trying to make up for lost time! Don't make an unfortunate situation worse.

15-May-15
I agree....don't worry about it just do as much as you can in the time you have. I know plenty of elk hunters that score most years and have never worked out a day in their adult lives.

15-May-15
You should be fine. Once you hear the bulls screaming adrenaline kicks you will be able to climb the largest mountain around. I hit the treadmill and light workouts and it helps a bunch. Good luck.

15-May-15
Depending on overall condition, you should be fine.

I've got a buddy that doesn't work out much, just some light lifting on his lunch breaks, but he also farms as his second job, so he's always outside working after his normal work hours

He kicks my butt up the mountain. Every time. Even when I'm in half marathon shape and have trained for months.

I day dream about punching him as he beats me up the trails :)

15-May-15
Agreed, plenty of time especially since you are already in decent shape. I find as I get older (61) I just keep moving up and down hills and let it go at that. You can overtrain which could lead to injury and throw you off cycle.

When I read Fred Bears books he got in shape when he got to his hunts but usually he alloyed more days than we do! Also the majority of his special hunts were when he was in his 50's and 60's. Good luck! C

15-May-15
Currently 33 yrs old. 5'10" 195. Still farming with my family on the side so I do get a lot of outside work in.

Current routine for the next 4 weeks is a 3 mile walk each day on the treadmill or outside.

15-May-15
I'm 33, 5'11" and 195 currently. You should be fine. Being in shape certainly helps, and I can tell a difference on the years I haven't worked out at as hard. . .

But the big thing is just realizing that you'll make it up the mountain sooner or later. Don't get in a rush and try to push it up.

15-May-15

Martin Man's embedded Photo
Martin Man's embedded Photo

15-May-15
You'll be fine.

15-May-15
Martin its more mental then physical, Its ok to get tired its ok to get sore But when your mind gets tired usually one throws in the towel .

15-May-15
A guy from Iowa should be fine IF, you just put on your hunting boots and backpack with 2 gallons of water-- 20 lbs or more, and go hiking down the road or cross country for a few miles at a time. Pick up the pace and get the legs and lung in shape.

And then what everyone else said.

My best, Paul

15-May-15
As long as you can do cardio it will help. Get off the tread mill if you can, walking on real ground works a lot more than a tread mill.

I don't run anymore but do play hockey 1-2 times per week and walk cut my lawn with a 60-70lb pack on. I am not in "sheep shape" but manage to kill an elk now and then. I agree with City. Most give up mentally long before physically.

15-May-15
Contrary to popular belief you do not need to be a marathoner or an NFL linebacker to kill an elk. I'm 39, 6' tall and 205 pounds. I hike and walk regularly and play Football/basketball with the kids. I've been up and down lots of mountains and hills and no one has had to call in a medevac yet. Just stay active, get in the best shape you can in the time you have, and most importantly go at your own pace. Be mentally strong, it'll get you further than you imagine.

15-May-15
If you want to run along side the elk until they get tired and stop so you can shoot them, your probably going to be in trouble, otherwise you will be fine!

15-May-15
I am 65, and I can do it,,,, heck at your age, you should still be able to do it, regardless.... good luck and go get em

18-May-15
I'm 44, 6'2" and 217...and it sounds like there's hope for me yet!!

18-May-15
way more then enough if you are in decent shape now and can do some stuff for next few weeks.

18-May-15
At your age you should not have a problem,elk hunting reallie any hunting is more want then anything.

18-May-15
I would look at it this way . . . . . if you start exercising now . . . . . you are going to be better off on your elk hunt, regardless.

The only real way to get in shape for the mountains is to exercise in the mountains, but since most of use don't live in the mountains the next best thing is plain ole exercise.

18-May-15
Here's a cool video I did for a friends dad who was over 400 lbs when he drew his nearly once in a lifetime rifle tag at 68 years old. He lost over 100 lbs from June to Nov. and made a real go of his hunt.

https://vimeo.com/115080839

Get in a pool or on a stationary bike and go as hard as you can without making your ribs hurt. It's all about keeping your heart rate up while you recover here. If you can do low impact, high heart rate work while you're recovering you might actually be as good off.

If that dude can loose that much weight and still make a hunt of a lifetime out of it, you'll surely be able to kill it.

Good luck with it. Here's to hoping you can find a good way to keep the ticker working away without making the ribs go slower.

Cheers, Pete

18-May-15
I agree with these guys, pace yourself and keep walking. Getting your feet in condition is a very important aspect of training. You will do well.

18-May-15
69 here. Keep wit down and walking 3 miles 3 times a week does it for me. Also chasing wife helps. Just don't catch her . LOL

18-May-15
Based on your age and weight, I think you're going to be just fine. Sounds like you had a good start and you're not far from being in good shape. I've certainly never gotten to the point of being a marathoner or anything like that. I'm currently 35 and live in Louisiana (about the flattest state in the country!) and for me jogging or walking with a pack on the stairclimber a few times a week for a month or two before the hunt was enough to give me a good base.

I've found regardless of the shape I'm in, it still takes me a few days to get my mountain legs and lungs but when I do it gets a lot easier. Where you are hunting elk makes a big difference as well. I've hunted some relatively easy terrain that I'd describe as a little less steep and more rolling and it's a lot easier to be in shape for that than the hunts that are steep with a lot of deadfall!

19-May-15
Heck. You are 33!!! Hamburgers,French fries, cokes, donuts and 3 mile walks twice a week and you are gold!!!!

You will be fine. Just come a day or two early to acclimate to the altitude and drink plenty of water and good luck getting an elk. And - Have Fun!

19-May-15
Went into everyone of my elk hunts at about 290 pounds without training a step.

I'd usually just slap the crap out of myself at the base of the mountain and by the first 100 ft elevation gain my face was the least of my worries.

As Charlie said use all the gears in your box and you will be fine.

I got a low,a s-low and a stop to b-low......Take time to enjoy the views and thank the Creator and you will be successful no matter if your arrow gets wet.

• Sitka Gear