huntnmuleys 17-May-15
HeadHunter® 17-May-15
butcherboy 17-May-15
nvgoat 17-May-15
320 bull 19-May-15
HuntEasy 19-May-15
OTT2 19-May-15
15-May-15
I havent had much practice with elk calls... I call turkey's and have been for over 10 years with a diaphram call. I got a good elk tag this year and I need to order up some call and get practicing. I've seen the reed style "hyper lip" used effectively in couple situations. Please no "hoochie or baby hooch"... Also, any CD's or videos that you've found benefical and worth picking up?

15-May-15
I got suckered into buying elknuts chitty DVD worse then wolfs LOL A big joke if u want to learn how not to kill mature bulls then watch it !

15-May-15
City - I'll make sure to pass on that one...

15-May-15
I can send u my copy but u wont me my friend anymore:>

Its easy to get elk to talk back , but more important is knowing when to call and what call to use ..years ago a cow call was my choice it was fun bulls would scream at me , but not often enough would they come close enough for a bow shot .. They would hit a invisible wall and just scream at me wanting me to come to them . I just buggle these days as loud as i can i want to annoy the bull into a conflict put his back up against a wall. I use a Glen Barry call .

Also years ago i would ambush them just leaving the feeding areas , I soon found out impossible to keep up with them , Plus what i found is once they made there minds on going some place they go. I still dog them these days but never a peep until they calm ready for bedding. It seems a bull is more prone to fight when he is in his bedding area , u have given him no choice he cannot just push the herd away, the bull is forced into a conflict . it also helps when u have sat bulls in and out of the herd . Few years ago i snuck into position wind was perfect bull was guarding his bedded cows , I gave the loudest call i could , bull responded I cut him off , he called again i did the same only trying to be louder i shut up broke some branches ,and he came charging.

Whatever call u do use apply with confidence !

15-May-15
Tony, Since you have used a diaphragm, with a lot of practice you can learn to make any elk sound that elk make. Calling in elk changes from day to day, Bull elk bugle and grunt, chuckle, grind their teeth, rake trees, and other things to get the girls attention. Contrary to popular belief bulls aren't making these sounds to attract other bulls. Less is more. Good luck.

15-May-15
Thanks Gale... Looking for any specific calls that hunters have used with good success whether it's the quality of the sound or simplicity of the call... I also understand it's good to have options for different calls as some elk respond differently to various calls and that can be the completely random aspect.

15-May-15
Some good points made by city and oldtimer. The fact you already know how to use a diaphragm would make the decision easy for me. It won't take much practice before you're making elk sounds. As far as what to listen to, I'd watch as many elk hunting videos as I could. Not so much for the hunting, since it's very seldom what the normal Joe will experience, but for the elk vocalizations. Learn to sound like an elk, not like a person trying to sound like an elk. Become as proficient as you can with mews, grunts, squeals, bugles, etc. They all work, but as with most things, they don't all work all the time. The more proficient you become, the better your odds of calling in elk, although as city points out, knowing WHEN to call can be more important than knowing HOW to call.

There are two HUGE advantages that diaphragms have over any other call. First off, versatility. You can make darn near every elk vocalization without the diaphragm ever leaving your mouth. Even more important is they're hands-free. That advantage can't be overstated!

All this said, nothing beats experience in learning how to call elk. Every bull is different and what works on one may, or may not, work on the next one. Let the elk's response, or lack thereof, dictate what your next action should be.

15-May-15
google joel turners podcast on sharpsticks. All you need to know is in there.

15-May-15
Good strageies and advice here gents.

15-May-15
I am not a fan of diaphragm calls, but use them when the animals are good and close (under 80 yards usually). My preferred bugle is the ELK Power Bugle. It sounds good and is easy to use (taught my wife to use it in less than an hour). In addition to the ELK bugle I use the Wood Wise Hyer Hot Cow call. It is an open reed call and gives great sound and has good versatility.

As mentioned when calling confidence is key. Know what sound you are going to make before making it. Know what you goal is and the type of response you are looking for, etc.

I also prefer to locate an animal then move as close as quickly as possible before making another sound. Last year I had my partner on a herd bull 3 different times using the sneak in and call approach.

For me I really like the primos truth about hunting videos. I hunt nearly the same way they do in the video. One hunter in front and the callers in back about 50 to 80 yards depending on cover. It is pretty hard to call an elk in all by yourself, but having a caller helps a ton.

15-May-15
DTS. Not for the average joe though!

15-May-15
Yep, bulls call to cows not to bulls. Depending on the bull, sometimes a real whiny cow call overtop of him bugling will make him come in hot and pissed off. A reed type call such as the one listed above - Hyper Hot - does well for this.

I've also found that one of the best calls is not elk vocalization at all. Sometimes when you're close enough, break and pop a few branches - not tree raking - just snap a few limbs. I've called in two good bulls doing that before without even making an elk vocalization.

A diaphragm is by far one of the best to use as it is hands free. A single reed diaphragm makes some of the best cow calls and small bull squeals. It is also crucial to have one in your mouth to get one to stop to make a shot. Not having one in my mouth cost me a good 320ish bull last Sept in the Caldera.

15-May-15
Its all about cadence in the calls..

I like to use open reed cow calls 80% of the time in my high pressured OTC areas. I too use the E.L.K.Power bugle the other 20%.

I keep yearly journals and I call in ALOT of elk each year.

15-May-15
Youtube!!

My favorite is Rocky Jacobson. Do a search but don't blame me when u become even less productive at work and/or home!!!

16-May-15

trophyhilll's embedded Photo
trophyhilll's embedded Photo
Funny lol......I started listening and watching Pauls stuff year 2 of my short elkhunting career. Ive killed 6 elk in 7 years using alot of his tactics and techniques. As was mentioned earlier nothing works all the time. If it did there wouldn't be any elk left in the woods. I'll also say that Paul has helped more guys on there quest than those on this site who have an ax to grind. I killed this raghorn using Paul's tactics.

16-May-15

Forest bows's MOBILE embedded Photo
Forest bows's MOBILE embedded Photo

I use a wayne Carlton blue for everything.

16-May-15
HuntEasy, as already stated, if you can use mouth reeds for turkeys, it won't take long to get good at making elk calls with them, probably the same reeds you use for turkeys, they will work for both.

You can also bugle with mouth reeds and make all the sounds necessary. I know some guys have good success with Power and Thunder Bugle types, but if you practice with mouth reeds you can make great sounds.

The biggest advantage I find to using mouth reeds is that you can make hands free calls, can make a big difference when in close with a bow in your hands. You don't need to unhook and grab a hand held call. You can make a nervous grunt or cow call while at full draw to stop a moving bull right where you want him. You can bugle with just the reed as well.

I do carry a hand held open Reed type call along with my mouth reeds, but I don't use the handheld when in close.

And, as previously stated, Elknut has helped a lot of elk hunters. His tactics don't always work, but then neither do any one else's.

16-May-15
I think a big thing that is overlooked sometimes, is that you need to let the elk dictate how and when to call.

Turkey hunting in the spring and elk hunting in Sept isn't much different other than about 800 lbs.

16-May-15
I'm going to jump online and pick up a couple different diaphram calls and an open reed style call today. I have a bugle tube that I will continue to use. I can't remember what it's called and I need pull it out. It's one of the newer models I bought in 2013 which has an adjustment at the end of the baffle to open and close to make the bugle sound like it's moving...

All I can relate to is really turkey hunting as I havent been elk hunting enough. If a big tom hangs up I'll try some other tactics to make him think another tom may be moving in on the hens, or just sneak in and shoot him silent... Often times, calling too much on big ol gobblers get's the opposite result for what you are looking for.

The breaking branches strategy sounds like a good one that I'll try and put in play this year given the right opportunity.

16-May-15
If you hunt elk the way you just described turkeys, you can very well be successful.

Good luck this fall and have fun!!

16-May-15
Don't forget that the wind gets you most of the time. Turkeys don't use their nose:)

Everything works some of the time. The best bull I killed was spot and stalk, never made a sound. That works too.

16-May-15
Agree with HDE. The best time for a call is when the opportunity presents itself and being ready. Personally I use bugles to locate if I'm not hearing them. I use a cow call reed or hyper lip once I close the distance and Im in their neighborhood. I always have a cow reed in my mouth takes some getting use to. I learned a lot talking to other camps/hunters talking about what they did and it didn't work out.

16-May-15
tobinsghost Yeah, Rocky Jacobson was great. Thanks. Bob

16-May-15
Great thread keep it up, enjoying every post...

16-May-15
pm sent john

16-May-15
Tropyhill nice bull congras but please Paul did not invent them tactics all Paul did was but them on a very poor quality DVD .

16-May-15
Hunteasy, what unit did you draw.

16-May-15
all of the Steve Chappell calls.

16-May-15
NMBIGHORHN - I sent you a pm...

Thank you guys for all the good ideas. I'll let you know what calls I order up and get on their way to my living room. My wife is going to hate the next few months. My boys will help with the wannabee elk calling mayhem.

17-May-15
I'm not going to comment on DVD quality...as I've never filmed a thing in my life. But I can say, without a doubt, watching Elknut's DVD made me a much better elk hunter in a very short period of time.

17-May-15
What's the controversy about Elknuts dvds?

17-May-15
im not sure either, David. Elknuts videos have led to many a herd bulls demise. personally I learned tons from his information. that all being said, that's the fun part of elk hunting. there are so many tips and tactics that will work. I think calling elk is not only a lot of fun, but a technique that can at times be the most effective way to kill a big bull. the same can be said for dogging a herd, ambushing, still hunting, and many other tactics.

go with what works for you and what you enjoy doing. at times, I like to call elk. trying to enrage a 800 lb animal is just sorta cool.

17-May-15
I like "" The Hooochie-Momma "" ....

17-May-15
I've used Wayne Carlton's calls for years. I started using Bugling Bulls calls a few years ago and really like them as well. I like to locate a bull then move in as close as I can then call accordingly. If you are close enough a cow call will work to get him to come look at you but he probably won't come in all the way. Remember, he is looking for a cow out there and if he doesn't see one he won't leave his herd far away to search for one lone cow. When I get in close I prefer to bugle trying to sound a little smaller than him but aggressive enough to tick him off. Every situation is different. I have been in close and used both tactics just to watch him push his herd away. I've been more aggressive and the bull comes charging in. I've called in bulls with small bugles then silence except for popping branch's and even stomping my feet.

Get a tape recorder and record yourself practicing your calls and compare it to real elk sounds. It's easier to hear the difference this way and then you can make improvements. Using turkey tactics for elk, especially Merriams, will work great for you.

17-May-15
Take a look at Roe Hunting Resources online. Chris Roe goes over all types of calls(many brands) as well as elk sounds and the appropriate time to use them. I found it to be the most informative and helpful source yet.

19-May-15
Wapiti bob has some good advice. I have taken Joel"s seminar on elk calling and its the best information I have found in 20 years of looking. His DVD has more detail than the webinar. You wont be sorry

19-May-15
Good stuff. I've researched that Roe website before. I think it was for CO deer for some reason.... 320 bull I'll look into it... I picked up a thunder bugle and sleazy cow call by Glen Berry, long range reed cow call by Wayne Carlton and some diaphrams... Just waiting on their arrival.

19-May-15
+1 WapitiBob and 320bull.

Joel Turner has some good stuff. You really should listen to the podcast at sharpsticks.

• Sitka Gear