ohiohunter 17-Jun-15
Barty1970 17-Jun-15
ohiohunter 17-Jun-15
willliamtell 17-Jun-15
Elkman52 17-Jun-15
mainbrdr 17-Jun-15
Barty1970 18-Jun-15
15-May-15
can anyone recommend a good pair of waterproof lite boots to be used spring turkey season and early elk season? has anyone used the canvas boots sold at BASSPRO? can't find the canvas boot promoted by Dwight Schuh.

15-May-15
what's You're budget?

15-May-15
When it comes to my boots I won't put a number on them because I think they are the most important piece of gear I hunt with. I have had some miserable hunts because of boots before.

The best that I have found by far are my Crispi's. I have the Idaho's which are non insulated because most of my hunting is early season. The suspension system has worked really good for heavy loads, their light, waterproof and most importantly super comfortable. Downfall is they are expensive, I paid around $400.

15-May-15
Try on a pair of Vasque Breeze.

15-May-15
Salomon has some great lightweight boots...

15-May-15
Lowa renegades.. salomon has some good looking boots too, but I went w/ the lowas.

16-May-15
I'm on my 4th pair of Lowa renegades, so obviously I haven't found anything better for my tastes. They are very light, perfect for early elk and turkey, plenty sturdy under a heavy pack, but they are a long way from waterproof. Don't waste money on the goretex liner option because it doesn't work. And re-apply sno-proof every couple days.

16-May-15
Solomon Quest 4D GTX

16-May-15
6" lowa GTX Zephyr

16-May-15
X2 on the Solomon Quest 4D GTX.

16-May-15
Light weight and has goretex- Treksta Evolution. Fits like a glove. Not for climbing rocky peaks, but great for stalking and trails.

17-May-15
I have experience with Danner Elk Hunters, Danner pronghorn, Merrill Moab, Vasque Breeze, Lowa Zephyr, Lowa Renegade, and last season with Quest 4d's.

They all leaked except the Quest but, the Quest never saw water except in my kitchen sink water test after season. My suggestion would be a full leather boot and very aggressive trimming/beveling of the nails to keep them from digging into the Gore-Tex and compromising it.

17-May-15
Love my Under Armour Speed Freaks!! They weight about as much as a sock

18-May-15
I love my Lowa Renegades and I just bought my girlfriend a pair at REI on Friday. She tried on the Solomon Quests but they didn't fit her as well and they seemed bulkier and clunkier than the Lowa's.

18-May-15
I have the Salomon Quests, my wife has the Lowa Renegades

18-May-15
REI is having a sale right now. I'm headed down there tomorrow to check out the Quest and Renegades.

18-May-15
Lowa Renegade GTX...I'm very happy with mine.

18-May-15
Salomon Quest 4D GTX are pretty light. They have the Gen 2 this year. So far I like them. It appears they have fixed the lacings coming loose all the time.

18-May-15
Lowa Renegade . One Elk trip to Colorado. 5 spring turkey seasons and wearing them some during archery whitetail. No issues and No leaks!

18-May-15
If light is a real deal breaker to you just for reference sake the UA Speed Freaks are exactly half the weight of the Lowa Renegades.

18-May-15
Get a pair of Lowa uplanders and you will love them. They are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They are my bowhunting and turkey boot while hunting the mountains in Virgina.

18-May-15
Cabela's (Mendl's) Uninsulated ultralights. Only $200 and a great boot that has zero break in time (thanks to those from prior posts from years back on boots with low/no break in time)

19-May-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I just got back from REI. I tried on the Renegades, they just didn't fit quite right. Hard to explain why but they didn't fit. Then I tried on the Quest 4D GTX. Definitely better. For kicks I tried on a par of Soloman X-Ultra mid 2GTX FOR $128. They were lighter and cheaper and had a more flexible sole. I doubt they'll last as long as the Quest. I'll give up a little durability for a really aggressive tread and flexible soles. I always keep an extra pair of heavy duty Lowa's at the truck for heavy loads should it be necessary.

Can anybody recommend something to treat them with to help with water proofing? Where I hunt in Idaho, there is water everywhere.

I'm going to load up my pack frame and mow the lawn for trial number one.

19-May-15
You won't waterproof the mesh.

19-May-15
YZF-88 try nikwax. I think Salomon even recommends the stuff. I put it on mine last year. I also used there cleaning solution.

19-May-15
Apauls.. I tried the UA Freaks and they were terrible. Never were water proof and Downhill my toes were smashed in the front of the boot due to the ultra slick inside material. Also I could feel every pebble I stepped on... absolutely a no go in my elk woods, your feet would be bruised after the first day.

19-May-15
I'm a Lowa, Scarpa, and Hanwag fan. It's hard to find a bad review on Lowa Renegades so I finally broke down and bought a pair. They are a little more $ than others but your feet may be thanking you! If you search the web you likely can find great deals.

20-May-15
+1 on the Nikwax; I use the cleaning gel as well as the waterproofing solution on my Quest 4Ds [both with sponge on applicators]

20-May-15
I've been using Nikwax for years and have had good results with it.

15-Jun-15
Alas, my Salomon Quest 4D's have sprung a leak [in the left boot]...so back they go and I'll be going for the Lowa Renegade GTX

15-Jun-15
X10 on the Solomon Quest 4D GTX.

15-Jun-15
Currently using Iris setter VaprTrek boots that I like when I want a little taller boot (8")

For lower boots, just up over the ankle, I use Vasque

15-Jun-15
Count me as one of the Salomon Quest 4D GTX fans. This year they came out with the Gen 2. The Gen 1's had a problem with the laces coming untied. So far I have about 40 miles on the Gen 2 and no lace prablem. Very comfortable boot right out of the box. Great warranty as well.

16-Jun-15
I dropped the coin yesterday on a pair of Lowa's Renegade GTX, with Superfeet insoles...so far so good...20 mile hike planned for Saturday so 'we shall see'

16-Jun-15
Does anyone know if lowa's fit true to size? Found a good deal on them but hate buying boots online. I have been wearing meindl for years but my last couple trips to the barging cave have been unproductive!

17-Jun-15
I have had my misfortunes ordering boots online, it can be frustrating. But w/ the lowas they run true to size w/ little to no break in on the softer boots ie ranger gxt and renegade gtx.. The tibets feel like they may need a break in but don't have any experience outside of the shoe store.

17-Jun-15
When I got measured for my Lowa Renegades, I had to go a size up from my regular 10 [UK size], so am wearing an 11 which I wouldn't have considered

17-Jun-15
UK 10 is equal to US 11.

17-Jun-15
If you order online make sure you check yje return policy. Getting the right fit or even the right size can be tricky, so returns are a fact of life. sometimes the site has a "fits true to size" review section, and comment reviews are also helpful for figuring out whether a boot will NOT be right.

17-Jun-15
Needed a size bigger for my Renegades

17-Jun-15
Quest 4D GTX

18-Jun-15
+1 Elkman...I am usually a UK 10 and needed a UK 11 to get the correct fit

• Sitka Gear