ki-ke 18-May-15
thomas 18-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 18-May-15
Rocky D 18-May-15
Letemgrow 18-May-15
thomas 19-May-15
18-May-15
Hey Guys,

I drew a first archery season tag for NM unit 16c in the Gila. Planning on hunting the entire 14 day season, away from roads and pressure.

What should I hold out for??? I've read some good things about the unit, but after looking at an outfitters website that hunts that unit, I wasnt too impressed. Looked like lots of young bulls.

I don't have a problem passing up young bulls; what would be a reasonable expectation for a mature bull in that unit?

18-May-15

18-May-15
What were you hoping for when you applied? What's your elk hunting experience and what have you killed?

C is not what A, B, or D are.

18-May-15
My experience in parallels Idyll's. C can be good, but many of the big Bulls are on private. big private. Away from roads and pressure is also not easy to do in C. There are a few remote corners, but you're going to need to walk always and set up a camp. Likely that you still won't be alone.

I would not pass on a 280 type 6 in C. That's just me. I like to eat elk and feel that a nice 6 is a realistic goal in this unit. You might see bigger and they are certainly there.....

18-May-15
I hunted this unit a couple yrs ago. second archery. didn't kill but I saw 2 bulls in 320-340 and one giant over 400 non typical. Also several smaller bulls in the 280 class

18-May-15
Realize too, that you've asked three different questions.

1) In the title, you asked what a good bull for 16c is.

Even CO OTC units have "good bulls" that most hunters would shoot. 2) Then you asked "What should I hold out for?"

That's a personal question that's impossible to answer.

3) Then you asked "what would be a reasonable expectation for a mature bull in that unit?"

I'm guessing this is more the question you're asking and gets to what you want to know.

It's tough to give you an opinion without knowing exactly what you want out of the hunt, how important it is for you to fill the tag, etc. If you've killed a 1/2 dozen 320+ inch bulls vs never having killed an elk, things like that, change people's opinions when you ask questions that have some level of subjectivity.

Two guys could have that same tag, both want a "good bull," and one shoot a 280 inch bull and the other hold out for a 350 inch bull, and both be happy with their decisions, whether or not they filled the tag.

18-May-15
A 16C tag for me means holding out for 300+ but I do not mind driving home with a tag.

How much time do you have to invest in scouting?

What is your goal?

I have hunted the area twice killed bulls both times.

hings may be different with the two season structure but my last hunt we called in 2 bulls that would score 300 and one that would fall somewhere between 320-340.

Do you hunt most the day? Many hunters hunt 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening.

I think I PMed you when you initially posted.

There is a reason that

the three biggest bulls were called between 10:00-12:00.

I am a fledgling elk hunter so I would not say this is a normal experience or just my experience.

Call the state elk biologist he does helicopter survey and it is a benign question as to what the trophy potential is in a certain unit.

16C was my third choice this year and I am really wanting something above 320.

If I had your tag I would be there a minimum of 3 days early and be doing a lot of glassing early and late trying to locate a big bull.

Oh by the way, you probably drew my tag!!!

P.S. My experience is different from KiKe's because once we were a half mile off the road we did ran into only one hunter. This was the case on both trips.

My other question is what can you turn down.

18-May-15
I guess I should have been more specific...I don't mind passing younger / smaller Bulls, and would rather go home empty handed than to kill a young bull that would be bigger in a few years.

My personal best is 340" , so I'll probably hold out for that for at least the first 6 days, then maybe drop it to 300" (I know, famous last words.....)

I just wanted to get a feel of the size for mature Bulls in the unit. I do plan on backpacking in a few miles from roads, but looks like water will have to be packed in. Do you guys think either of the two wilderness areas on the south end would be uncrowded?

19-May-15
I hunted the Gila wilderness on southern end. We saw a few other hunters. There are several diff access points so ppl were accessing from diff areas, but I wouldn't say it was overcrowded by any means

• Sitka Gear