Golden Pyr 19-May-15
BowCrossSkin 19-May-15
Start My Hunt 19-May-15
bowriter 20-May-15
Eric B. 20-May-15
Chasewild 20-May-15
19-May-15

Start My Hunt's Link
In your opinion, which sense is more important for locating elk? I realize that in order to actually shoot an elk, you need to be able to see it. I am just talking about locating elk. I have probably heard more elk before I ever see them, but then I do very little glassing and spend most of my time in the timber. But then the argument could also be made that most of the sign for elk pertains to visual clues (fresh rubs, tracks, etc.). However, if you are calling, then you are most likely relying on your sense of hearing. You could even add smell to the mix if you want. I have been in some areas where I can smell the elk before I even hear or see them.

Mike

19-May-15
I normally smell them first not always but normally

19-May-15
I would vote for sound as #1, smell as #2, and sight last. I haven't hunted much country conducive to glassing.

19-May-15
Yep, smelling them is definitely up there with sight and sound.

19-May-15
I agree with Z Barebow - We are usually in the timber so we hear them (either bugling or snapping branches) before we see them.

19-May-15
It depends on where you're hunting and how you're hunting. One thing for sure, if you're running through the woods calling every few minutes, like I've seen so many doing, you won't have much luck.

19-May-15
Well, I have retired from elk hunting and even when I was hard at it, probably only killed 12-15. But I would put it this way.

If you can see them, sight is the most important. If you can't, but can hear them, sound is critical. Some, you will see first, many, you will hear first. A few, will just appear in front of you...or behind you.

Best thing to do, is play it by ear...or eye.

19-May-15

elkmtngear's Link
Depends on how I am hunting...if I'm stillhunting in the dark timber...I rely on smell.

Treestand/ ambush hunting is mostly sight first.

"running and gunning" among vocal bulls= sound

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

19-May-15
The obvious answer to this question is a Hoochie-Mamma. Everyone knows that. You just run from canyon to canyon. If they don't answer, they aren't there.

19-May-15
I see them while scouting, then when in the vicinity listening is more key. I'm not a one trick pony and hopefully my hearing stays until I'm not able to get in the mountains to hear a bugle.

19-May-15
For me, I'd rank them as sound #1, sight #2, smell #3.

Sound is most important for me because of where I hunt. It's thick timber, with very few areas conducive to glassing. Even the old clearcuts have grown to the point they're not open anymore.

Once their sound has allowed me to get close, then sight certainly becomes most important at that point.

I have smell ranked last simply because that sense is used less than the other two, however, once I DO smell them, it's time to go into ultra-predator mode, cuz they're close!

19-May-15
As many have pointed out and bowriter put so elegantly...it depends. I've hunted some old growth forests in places like the Idaho panhandle that are so thick that if the elk aren't speaking finding them is tougher than the proverbial needle in the haystack. I've hunted other areas where you could glass for miles and put a gameplan on any elk you might have turfed up. I really think you need all of your senses heightened (sound, sight, and smell) as you'll never know how an elk might reveal itself.

19-May-15
I tend to see them first but I'm ready with all the senses but touch at all times!

19-May-15

Golden Pyr 's embedded Photo
Golden Pyr 's embedded Photo
Depends on the terrain and habitat and other factors...I do NOt even carry binos, it is so thick ( just a range Finder) ...We have a High Jungle, not High Desert in Sw Co. Rain ...Rain .snow and Sleet in and mroe rain for May .....most ever for a May since I have had ranches in Col from 1997 . So for me, generally Sound.

19-May-15
I can't smell them unless I'm ten feet away.

19-May-15
Interesting. So now it seems to be split pretty evenly, and it all depends on the type of hunt you are doing and the conditions in your area. Now to throw another observation in, I would say that while scouting, you are looking for sign and the other two do not play as much as a factor as opposed to when you are actually hunting. Agree?

20-May-15

bowriter's embedded Photo
bowriter's embedded Photo
Wyobullshooter has it about right. I would rank it the same way. Also, I almost agree with the Hoochie Mama. That is one great call. In my video, "Double Teaming Bulls", that bull was coming at a fast trot to the Hoochie call.

On a warmer, damp day, if the wind is right, you can smell a bull at quite some distance. I just finished my column for August 19 on early season elk hunting. In it, I desribe how exciting it is to hear that first bugle drifting through the golden aspen leaves just as the sun turns the light frost to dew. Seeing elk at a distance does not get you quite as excited as hearing them.

20-May-15
It's all about the sound. Early season i pussyfoot through my area & can hear elk walking, feeding etc. for 200 yds. Plus. Then it's game on!

20-May-15
I was kidding about the hoochie mamma.....

• Sitka Gear