crazyhawksfan 29-May-15
Fulldraw1972 29-May-15
wildwilderness 30-May-15
cnelk 30-May-15
Brun 30-May-15
ollie 01-Jun-15
Mad_Angler 24-Jun-15
28-May-15
Some buddies and I are going on a first time elk hunt to Colorado this fall. When would the guys that have done a otc public land hunt suggest going? Do you worry about being there during muzzleloader season? Best time as far as the rut? Etc.. thanks

28-May-15
When I hunt archery elk in CO, I'm not too concerned about the muzzleloader hunters - they generally represent a very small amount of the overall pressure in your average OTC unit. I'm more interested in maximizing my time spent in the mountains. If straddling Labor Day means you can spend 12 days hunting versus 8 days later on in the month, I'd go with early September. For me, time on the ground is the best way to bump up your success rate in elk hunting. There are viable and effective ways to kill em' during the pre-, peak-, and post-rut. Time is of the essence!

(For me - I like to start my hunt with the muzzleloaders and go as long as it takes from there...that being said, I like to hunt run-and-gun/hyper-aggressively and vocal elk makes that style much easier to execute)

28-May-15
There are advantages and disadvantages to each week. Early in the season, the weather is hot and hunting around water holes and wallows can be very good. The bulls have not yet gathered the cows meaning fewer eyes when you make a stalk. Downside is potentially hot weather making meat recovery an issue and bulls are not very vocal. Mid-September the rut has kicked in, bulls are bugling, the weather tends to be cooler. Downside to hunting later is that there will be an influx of muzzleloader hunters. Depends on what hunting tactics you prefer to use, the weather, and when other hunters hunt the public lands you will be on.

28-May-15
The last week of the hunt has the upside of increased rut activity and some bigger bulls come out to breed, but the downside is the elk are more wary after being hunted for 3 weeks. Herd bulls are impossible to call off their cows so either challenge them close or silent stalk. Also the hunting pressure tends to push them into private or hard to hunt areas.

I would take the 3rd week over the 4th on a OTC public hunt.

28-May-15
As ollie stated, there are ups and downs to each week of the season. It's really a matter of personal preference. I like hunting as early as I can in the OTC units. #1 the elk haven't been pressured yet by hoards of other hunters. #2 the bulls haven't collected their harem of cows yet but are usually interested in checking out cow calls and often times come in silent. It can be tough getting a herd bull away from his cows once he's gathered his herd. And #3 most guys like hunting the "peak rut" times which again means more pressure. Pick a week that fits your skill set or style of hunting and adjust accordingly. Early hunts are cow calls, sitting water or wallows and spot and stalk. Later hunts, get out the bugle, let out some locator calls, break some Sticks and cause a little ruckus. Try to get the bulls worked up and hopefully get em close enough for a shot. Good luck.

28-May-15
Oh yeah... the weather and moon phase can change all that. Lol

28-May-15
Early season you can find Bulls in bachelor groups or solo. You can stalk them and call them in much easier than later.

Later season you can locate Bulls because of noise sometimes.

All times of the season are good. The more you can hunt is better than the time of year you can hunt.

28-May-15
Ermine and OTC Will X2

28-May-15

Forest bows's MOBILE embedded Photo
Forest bows's MOBILE embedded Photo

I like the week before muzzy

29-May-15
I think early is best for an OTC unit but a lot of that depends on the unit, the more the private land there is the more i think it's best to hint early. I finally had my first scary event with a muzzle loader last season, didn't get shot at or anything but he was set up right behind us and we were calling and had decoys up, it was kind of unnerving. We keep blaze orange on our packs, that way there's a better chance of them seeing me from the back when they aren't there for me to see to the front.

29-May-15
Anytime pre-Columbus.

29-May-15
The week before muzzy is usually really good. Bulls are more responsive to calls and fewer people in the woods. After muzzy the bulls get with the cows and won't come off them. Don't like hunting with muzzle loaders. Have had tents caved in by snow on opening weekend where I hunt and not very hot above 11,000'.

29-May-15
Hunting pressure is the most important variable. There are spots that are great the first week and terrible after that because all the elk get blown out. There are other spots that aren't so good the first week but better as the season progresses, because that's where the elk go when pressured.

Hunt whenever you have the biggest block of time, and be mobile. As the season progresses, either hunt a little further in or a little closer to the roads where other people are driving past. Hit different spots until you find elk. Don't hunt last week's sign. Elk move a lot. Find them, and then hunt them carefully.

No matter what, spend a lot of time studying maps of roads and triangulating. 1.5 miles from any road seems to be the edge of the "sweet spots" at any time of the season. Closer to the roads and you get the lazy day hunters who think a mile is "two miles". Further in and you start to get into the go-getters.

Print out all the possibilities from Google Earth before you come out. I laminate mine and have them in a folder in camp. Granular maps like StartMyHunt and DIY Hunting are extremely valuable tools to couple with the satellite maps.

29-May-15
You indicated this will be your first elk hunt... I would suggest you go when you can locate them by sound. How long is your hunt going to be? One week, Two weeks, 10 days??? All makes a difference.

Keep in mind that Labor Day weekend is the SECOND weekend of elk season this year in Colorado, so you will have much higher spectator population around that time. More hikers, bikers, target shooters, motor bikes, campers etc.

29-May-15
We're planning on going for 2 weeks. So when roughly are the elk most vocal?

29-May-15
I heard a fair amount of bugling the 3rd week of season 2 years ago. Last year I didn't hear much the first two weeks.

As far as the best week I think it depends on the hunter. If you can scout the area then the first couple of weeks can be very productive. If you like spot n stalk or cold calling set ups the first couple of weeks as well.

If you want to hear them talking chasing bugles the 2nd two weeks would be better.

I have never worried about the muzzle loader guys.

30-May-15
The new moon is Sunday September 13 this year. The full moon is Sunday the 27 (closing day). Muzzy starts Sept 12-20. IF you can only do 2 weeks from the weekends, then this year I would do the 2nd and 3rd weeks - Sep 5-20. If you can go mid week for 14 days I would consider going Sep 9-23.

30-May-15
I have killed elk in each week of the season, and heard bugling each week too.

Too many variables. Some years there are lots of hunters around, other years nobody. Like Lou said, its all about hunting pressure.

30-May-15
As others have said there is no real answer to this. Things are different every year, moon phase, weather, hunting pressure, etc. Go when you can for as long as you can. If you're not getting into the elk move to a new spot. Have fun, good luck.

01-Jun-15
I forgot to mention that I would pay close attention to the phase of the moon and avoid a full moon period if possible. During the full moon, elk can see very well at night and will be more nocturnal. I did an elk hunt once and during the full moon phase the elk were still in the dark timber slowly making their way towards the meadows when legal shooting light expired. Prior and after the full moon the same elk were in the meadow each night before shooting time expired.

01-Jun-15
go the first week when the elk are still stupid.

24-Jun-15

Mad_Angler's Link
Here is a great discussion from another site:

• Sitka Gear