MDW 01-Jun-15
TD 01-Jun-15
ohiohunter 01-Jun-15
Unit 9er 01-Jun-15
TD 01-Jun-15
Hunts_with_stick 02-Jun-15
LBshooter 16-Jun-15
29-May-15
Last night I was icing my bad shin splints that have me sidelined at the moment. To appease my bordome I was watching the Sportsmans channel and caught an episode of "Shed Wars" Did anybody else see it?

By the end of the show I'm not sure what hurt worse...my shins or my stomach from churning. That was really, really hard to sit through.

29-May-15
You need a remote control so you can change the channel while icing your shins! :-)

29-May-15
Reality TV is so awesome!

29-May-15
Just the preview of that one struck me as lame, they'll put anything on the boob tube these days...

29-May-15
I hate the entire mentality that comes with commercialized shed hunting. I can not stand tines up etc. and refuse to watch the show at all. In all honesty I have given up on the outdoor channels altogether.

When you see people using helicopters to find sheds it is getting out of hand...

29-May-15
Helicopters to find sheds? I'll stick with my own reality.

Shed hunting with the kids or the kids and a few buddies as an excuse to walk the woods.

I was teasing the kids that they wanted to go shed hunting to find some antlers to use in some craft projects, but then we couldn't cut any of those up because the antlers had special memories of being with their dad.

I teased them, but it made me feel good that our time together imbued the antlers with something important enough to keep.

Get that from a reality show. Good grief is right!

29-May-15
You guys do realise that there really isn't a standard on these channels other than paying for the air time? Both Sportsman channel and Outdoor channel are owned by the same company. That company doesn't give a crap about what hunting and the outdoors is really like. All they care about is money. By the way the same company owns Bowhunter magazine, which has also went waay downhill.

29-May-15
"The times they are a changn"... really rings true these day's.

29-May-15
I wonder if the show obtained all their commercial filming permits before filming on public land?

29-May-15
Huh.

I'd heard the name somewhere in all the the noise and just thought it was a contest to see who could build the most redneck building.....

29-May-15
"I have given up on the outdoor channels altogether." Right there with ya coelker, Jim Shockey is about all I'll watch anymore.

30-May-15
The only one I can stomach is Eichler and Steve Rinellas "Meat Eater". Other than that it's all GARBAGE!

30-May-15
The prices they were putting on the finds were WAY out of line and overpriced.....thought your shed spots were getting crowded now..just wait.

Are the draw results posted yet for my shed hunting tag?

I guess grasshopper hunting in July is a option to enjoy some solitude.

30-May-15
Yes yes yes get in now for your shed points or be forever behind point creep The states got do something to manage this resource and take advantage of currently a loss revenue stream

30-May-15
I thought for sure the History channel, National Geographic channel, or Discovery Channel would have snatched that one up in a heartbeat. Whenever I flip through the guide I get a sinking feeling about the fate of America.

30-May-15
Yup, could not stand the show. I watched for 5 minutes and that was that. The prices I heard were outrageous. I just bought a set of horns to use for rattling. They scored right around 140"s and I paid $30 plus shipping. On that show I would of had to pay over 100 bucks. It just sux cause now people will think they can make 2 grand a day shed hunting. Stupid!! Shawn

31-May-15
Didn't watch it but don't watch outdoor tv any more. About all the outdoor shows spew out the same stuff over and over. Any more most shows are 30 minute paid advertising.

Outdoor tv has reached critical mass. Any one with enough money and time could be on outdoor tv.

31-May-15
Somebody keeps watching all the crappy programming on those channels or they would simply disappear in a hurry. Advertisers are only there because they know how many potential customers are watching each of these shows and that is enough to perpetuate the current low quality. What sells in Alabama,Texas or Georgia is not necessarily going to do it for sportsman in Idaho, AZ, CO, MI, or NY, but they keep dumbing down the dialog, motivation for hunting and its etiquette, which is a turn-off for many of us, IMO.

31-May-15
You mean its not real!?!

WTF?

31-May-15
You will have to hire a guide to hunt sheds on wilderness land in WY.

01-Jun-15
Ran into a shed hunter while turkey hunting this spring. Said he was getting 17 dollars a pound for elk antlers.

Terry

01-Jun-15
In many areas, trespassing shed hunters are a real problem. They think that just because hunting season is over it is now okay to trespass.

01-Jun-15
Went to high school with a couple of the kids on the show. I have to say I'm not surprised. Terrible show. Per usual.

01-Jun-15
Just goes to show that with enough money ANYTHING can get on TV. If I had the money, I could even get on there. That would really give you something to talk about.

01-Jun-15
Saw at P&Y an outfit had a monster bull mount that were actually the shed antlers of the bull.

I imagine the matching set of a big bull would get a bit more than 17 per lb. Maybe not enough to pay for a helicopter to find em though...

01-Jun-15

ohiohunter's Link
Hey TD, were they these sheds?

01-Jun-15
I've seen a matching set nearing 400" on the internet for sale, nearly $4K.

Oh yeah, they'll pay for them apparently.

01-Jun-15
Wow.

Talking to the guys at the show it was an AZ bull I believe, He was in the 400 range, but not 488.... wow...

Ohio, reading your link was interesting....

"This is a problem that will only get worse as the popularity of shed hunting increases. For example, in 1997 when Popeye was just about to drop his second side, there were 27 trucks lined up on the winter range watching and in pursuit."

Never would have thought a TV show about it though.... reserve your chopper now....

02-Jun-15
Who buys shed antlers? Whats the point? I mentioned years ago, there are way to may youngsters who think that if they have a camera they are going to have their own show and that is the main reason they film it. At least I have run into that here in PA and OH a few times. Not for me, but to each their own I guess

16-Jun-15
Saw the opening of the show and just laughed. What's next? I wonder if the hosts,producers watch the shows the produce, what crap.

• Sitka Gear