Paul@thefort 12-Jun-15
Paul@thefort 12-Jun-15
Paul@thefort 12-Jun-15
Paul@thefort 12-Jun-15
Paul@thefort 12-Jun-15
Paul@thefort 12-Jun-15
06-Jun-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Just curious, but what is it that keeps everybody coming back for more punishment year after year? Is it the bonding with friends, the thrill of the hunt, or just the chance to get away from the everyday grind that we all experience?

For me, it is all of the above. But above all, I just enjoy the time in the woods. I like seeing the squirrel middens, the gray jays that eat out of my hand, or the occasional pine marten on a fresh kill.

Your thoughts?

Mike

06-Jun-15
Although you probably meant it more tongue in cheek, for me, the last word I would use to describe bowhunting elk is punishment. I've had a love affair with the big critters since I was 5yrs old, and I can honestly say it is my one true passion/obsession. If I'm not hunting elk, I'm thinking about hunting elk!

As far as bonding with friends, getting away from it all, and just enjoying my time in the woods, I can do that the other 11mo of the year. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy seeing deer, moose, pine marten's, etc, as well, but my entire focus for Sep is the mountains and the elk that live there. Although I certainly prefer filling my tag rather than the alternative, I'm pretty selective on what I'll shoot anymore, so I'm ok with eating tag soup on occasion. Either way though, I have to have my elk fix, and I'll do my darnedest to make that happen as often as I can.

This is why I hunt elk. As long as YOU enjoy your time in the elk woods doing what YOU enjoy, that's all that really matters...It's ALL good!!!

06-Jun-15

psemf4's embedded Photo
psemf4's embedded Photo
I've always thought that each month had there own feel, I love the feel of September. Coming upon fresh poop early in the morning and "rubbing" it with the toe of my boot to see if it's "that" fresh.

Coming upon a muddied wallow, with droplets of dirty moisture still making its way down the trunk of an aspen tree.

Laying awake at night, listening to a bull bugle 200 yards away, and wondering where in the hell he came from I spent all day up that draw!

Tracks after a rain, The pines and aspen shaking in the wind.

Talking with my 72 year old dad around the fire, as he tells me the story about the first elk I called into him, or when it snowed 8" Aug 28 while hunting mulies.

Is it the Elk, or the Elk country?

I don't know, I just know I want bacon with my eggs when I get back to camp!.

06-Jun-15
No hunt has ever challenged me more, both physically and mentally, than a solo, DIY, public land elk hunt.

No hunt has ever motivated me more to stay in shape, to shoot my bow more often than a solo, DIY, public land elk hunt.

No hunt has ever given me more thrills, more sense of accomplishment than killing my first bull elk, solo, DIY, on public land.

06-Jun-15
To me there is no greater accomplishment than consistently killing elk on public land.

Two: I just love every aspect of the mountains. The sounds, the smells, all of the other critters that live there.... and the fact that I have gotten pretty good at living up there so in a way it's home.

Once that wall tent is standing it like "Aaaah, home sweet home"

06-Jun-15

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Camaraderie ranks way up there. Its a time to get together with friends and family once a year, leave the hustle and bustle behind.

Its good to share the sweat, the early morning chills, sunrises and sunsets, and campfires that puts it all into perspective.

Elk? Ehhh... thats the frosting

photo packingmeat_zps081516bd.jpg

06-Jun-15
Awesome pics, cnelk!

06-Jun-15
cnelk,

Not wanting to throw water on your parade and having a great group of guys willing to help you pack out your bull, my question is how come you don't cut the legs and feet off and also cape out the skull, saw the antlers and leave the heavy skull in the woods? I do that even with my mules, and to pack lighter is always better. It always amazes me to see all of that extra weight being toted around. I can perhaps see the skull as many don't know how to cape it but it seems it would be worth learning how to do so especially if you are going to pack it on your back.

06-Jun-15
Stoney

If I were to tell you why we carried the legs, skull and unboned meat of the 2 elk my son and I shot at the same time out of the woods last fall, you probably wouldnt believe me anyway.

Get the latest issue of Bow and Arrow Hunting magazine. In in, is an article [pg 53] that Jaquomo [Lou] wrote that may explain some of your questions.

06-Jun-15
It's hard to explain. I have hunted all over North America and nothing comes close to getting me as excited as bugling elk in archery season. Every year that I go through a lot of work outs and pain to be able to get around the mountains I end up looking forward to it again next year. Last season as I lay exhausted at the truck from packing out a bull all I could think about was I cant wait to do this again.

06-Jun-15
To me, hunting - real hunting, not climbing a tree for a few hours a day in the back 40 - is RETURNING to real life. Elk hunting, more than any other hunt in the lower 48, just happens to be the closest thing to getting back to the basics of living in nature. The "homes" we've had in wilderness areas over the years, whether horse-packed tent camps, or a different bivy site every night, have been the highlights of my life. Unlike many, killing an elk is secondary to living for a few weeks or a month in the real world.

06-Jun-15
cnelk, a Gold Star for you for spelling "camaraderie" correctly, instead of the commonly misspelled "comraderie", which isn't a word in our language.

Stoney, the short answer is that they didn't have to. Much easier to do all that while lounging around in camp with a cold beverage. Plus, they had two elk to deal with at one time, in bear country.

06-Jun-15
"where they live." I love elk country a lot more than elk. The elk just give me a reason to get up and go looking in the beautiful early mornings.

06-Jun-15
I dont have much other things to do but bow hunt so I limp by as best I can!

06-Jun-15
Cnelk, that photo says it all.

To be able to hunt with others who are not jealous, pitch in and make it a team effort, sure seems like the best part!

06-Jun-15
Great pics cnelk.

It's hard to beat an archery elk hunt, in traditional elk country....for the amount & variety of game to be seen, for the heart-pounding close encounters with those huge beasts, for the beautiful pristine country they live in, and if you're lucky enough to score....for the fantastic eating to be enjoyed.

06-Jun-15
Once you have a bull at close range screaming at you....hard not to be hooked!

06-Jun-15
Too many good quotes to pick out one, but the overall theme is reconnecting with friends and becoming part of the wonder around you. I cannot think of anything else I would rather be doing than walking around the woods in the fall and being a part of the magic that we call elk hunting.. The one to two weeks that I can escape from the corporate world are what keep me going throughout the rest of the year.

06-Jun-15
Too many good quotes to pick out one, but the overall theme is reconnecting with friends and becoming part of the wonder around you. I cannot think of anything else I would rather be doing than walking around the woods in the fall and being a part of the magic that we call elk hunting.. The one to two weeks that I can escape from the corporate world are what keep me going throughout the rest of the year.

06-Jun-15

Elktrax's embedded Photo
Elktrax's embedded Photo
Its being in the great outdoors with family n friends and away from the hustle n bustle of life.. Setting up camp sitting under the stars with a fire... I could go on and on and on.... 97 n a wake up till the hunt....tic toc tic toc

06-Jun-15
Cnelk... Good stuff bud! Couldn't agree more. OP... Your reasoning is spot on too man!

06-Jun-15
The sight of a huge bull up close letting out a nasty bugle. Ambushing a bugling bull and out of the deep dark timber, a big set of antlers appear and they are headed my way. The feeling when I first touch a dead elk and know it's mine. Those are the main things that keep me completely and hopelessly addicted to elk hunting.

06-Jun-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

06-Jun-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Have a great bow hunt. BB

06-Jun-15
The Challenge, the vocal interaction, the scenery, the perfection and variety of September weather.

I love whitetail hunting, but man Elk and elk hunting is enchanting.

06-Jun-15
Good stuff all.

I guess for me it's not so much the "allure" as it is a lifestyle. Its what I've done every September since I was old enough to drive, 45 years ago. I crafted my career so I could do it as much as possible, and live in elk country. It's not what I do; rather it's who I am.

Trying to describe the allure is like trying to describe why we're attracted to a beautiful, intelligent woman.

07-Jun-15
Let's see... not really all that social.... not into vacations. My fun involves throwing fistfuls of money at states, airlines, sporting goods. Walk till your lungs burn and head pounds, crappy freeze dried food for days on end. Hot, cold, wet, thirsty, no sleep... and all that is BEFORE you may or may not get a few seconds of heart pounding pure adrenalin excitement that on average doesn't go your way anyhow...

But every now and then.... it does! Then you're really screwed, you've gone and ruined a perfectly good elk hunt by killing an elk.... finally, eventually, even though your body is trying to tell your brain it never will.... the pain stops and your animal is back to where something else besides you is hauling it. It's sooo good when the pain stops... you stand up without your pack and fall over...

Now it's business, get somewhere, ice, wrap, freezer bags, cut it all up and freeze it somehow. Beg for boxes at the same stores that wouldn't let you use their freezer, pack up gear to mail back so coolers can go on the plane, find a post office. Weigh out coolers... 51 lbs at the airport and you're toast. You now have a 70 lb carry-on....

Running on empty after 2 weeks.... driving.... clean up rental car, airports, deal with the 90 lb little old lady the airlines assigned to check your carry-on with who wants to gut you with a butter knife because yours weighs 70 lbs....

Finally home.... relief that Coach was just kidding (this time) about how all my stuff was going to be in the front yard.... meat in the freezer, get some quick rest, gear put away, reflection.... oh crap, work tomorrow? Really? no, reality....

That wasn't so bad.... I did it, it's done. An indescribable self satisfaction comes over you. Accomplishment. Did all that really just happen? The good parts overcame the the bad, the awesome parts stand alone in your mind, head and shoulders above it all. Stuff you take to the grave with you. Can't wait for next year....

Yeah.... what's pleasure without a little pain.... I'm told whips and chains can be fun too... just what I need, another obsession....

07-Jun-15
Tom, expertly spoken. That is exactly what I meant about the "punishment" but also about the joy. Hunt on. I wish you the best in the woods.

Mike

07-Jun-15
It is a lifestyle no doubt. I have grown to like the solitude of solo elk hunting and the daunting task of getting it done on public land to boot. For now the allure is the possibility of the stars aligning an being able to finally send that text message home to the family "bull down, going to take a day or two to get him out. Cant wait to see everybody again"

In a couple years the "allure" will change as my kids start nocking arrows.

07-Jun-15
It is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope....

07-Jun-15

KJC's embedded Photo
KJC's embedded Photo
I like the view!

07-Jun-15
All of the above, and just some kind of an attachment I was born with to "Elk country"...

07-Jun-15
"It is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.... "

I LIKE that Dingo!

07-Jun-15
It's in my blood, in my soul. I cannot NOT hunt.

07-Jun-15

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
This pic about sums it up.

Where/how else can one experience this type of beauty, adventure, challenge, and accomplishment every year on a blue collar salary?

07-Jun-15
Like I tell my wife ,there are no elk in Jersey!! So I have to go every year.For a flatlander headin towards 63 is it "the elk or elk country" thank god it's both!!Keeps me from gettin fat and something to dream about 365 days a year.

07-Jun-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo

07-Jun-15
im definitely one of the "elk are a lifestyle" types. and while there are a couple of bucket list hunts I want to do for other species, for the most part I still want to dedicate most all of my September time to hunting elk. between the country they inhabit, the animal themselves, the friends ive made, and the health quality and taste of elk meat I just cant find it in me to look elsewhere.

08-Jun-15
God [and US C&BP] willing, one day before not too very much longer, I will be stood where Lou and other posters are stood in their photos...ELK COUNTRY

08-Jun-15
Barty, best of luck to you.

When you do stand on that ridge and look across the deep valley at that basin, you're thoughts will either be, "I'm going over there and kill me an elk!"

Or if you're an old guy like me with a few dozen elk under your belt, you'll think, "If I kill one over there, how will I ever get it out? Maybe I'll just sit right here above camp and try to call one in!"

;-)

08-Jun-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
To bow hunt the noblest beast on the North American Continent. The "King's deer"!

Red eyed, snot dripping from it's nose while he raises his head back and lets out that hair-raising bugle.

You will believe you are in heaven but when checking your pulse, there still is a beat, but just a little faster.

One will never be the same!

My best, Paul

08-Jun-15
I would just repeat much of what has already been said.

Anything worth doing is never easy. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it!

I can still remember my first "real" elk bugle like it was yesterday. There was NO mistaking or questioning if it was another hunter. (And that was in 1998). And that bull is still the biggest bull I have ever seen while hunting. (Very similar to Paul's pic above)

I used to live for whitetail hunting. Nothing could trump chasing WT's with my bow,,,,,, until my first elk hunt. Now, deer hunting takes up time in between my elk hunts.

08-Jun-15
I agree with many others that have already posted.

For me, it's not camaraderie as I have hunted elk alone. I have points in several states that I am applying for alone.......it doesn't seem like any of my hunting buddies have a passion for elk like I do. As a result, when it comes time to cash in those points, I will probably be going alone.

I'm a flatlander and for the longest time elk were just a dream. Then I hunted them......and the dream came true, which turned into a passion. Everything from the bugling, to their size, to the physical challenges, to the mental challenges, to how majestic they are, to traveling to find them. I love it all.

08-Jun-15
Same as Z-barebow I would just be echoing most of what has already been said. It's more less an infectious disease that entered my blood as a kid and I have yet to find a cure. I look forward to september every day that I'm not hunting. To me the real question is.... what's NOT to like about chasing elk in the most beautiful places on the planet?

08-Jun-15

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
I'm in total agreement with Mulepower, octWill, and Cnelk as it is a true pleasure and uniquely American event to be in the Mountains during the September rut. bow in hand on public land! Smelling elk, hearing bugles in the tent at night, and the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment when you connect, when it all comes together (so far for me, only with a rifle and muzzleloader) and you find your self and your partner(s) with a huge magnificent beast that a New England boy could only dream of as a kid. Breaking down the animal and getting the meat to camp becomes instant hunting lore for the group. "The only thing worse than a tough pack out is no pack out!" All this happens in a place that that takes your breath away at nearly every overlook or gap in the cover!

Only 96 days out! LaGriz

09-Jun-15

Mr.C's embedded Photo
Mr.C's embedded Photo
the things you see,hear and smell the piece and quite and the question that always pops into my mind when reaching the top of a rig or somewhere with a great view is I wonder if anyone has in the history of mankind ever stood in this very spot...maybe its that one spot on the entire planet that only "I" have stood on

MikeC. walk softly but carry a big stick

09-Jun-15
There is something magical about being in the mountains during elk season. Elk represent wilderness hunting. I can't capture that same feeling with whitetails.

09-Jun-15

Jaeger63's embedded Photo
Jaeger63's embedded Photo
18 days straight, 10 pounds of body weight, last day, 322 inch bull, most memorable elk hunt of my life. That just about sums it up!

09-Jun-15
It is the first archery season that opens each year...so it's just the beginning for me.

09-Jun-15
I was addicted before I even left for my first elk hunt.

It's gotten to the point where I struggle with trying to figure out how to hunt the other animals I want to hunt because I don't want to give up September. And the time spent in September means I have to work at some point.

If you're passionate about bowhunting and haven't tried it, trust me, stop procrastinating and just make a trip happen. It'll change your life.

10-Jun-15

arctichill's embedded Photo
arctichill's embedded Photo
This September will be my 20th anniversary since I killed my first elk with a bow. For the last 19 years the greatest allure for me was spending the highest quality of time imaginable with my Dad doing what we both love more than anything in the world. This September will be my first ever to not at least share camp with my Dad.

He and I shared a great wilderness hunt last year. I called in a great bull for him. In the end, neither one of us killed an elk last September, but we sure enjoyed the heck out of our time together like we always did. At the end of the hunt we assured each other that "next year" we would both fill our tags with nice trophies. My Dad died unexpectedly in early January 2015.

I'll kill more elk. I'll enjoy teaching my kids to bowhunt elk. I'm not sure though, that I will ever realize a greater trophy than those many unforgettable instants that my Dad and I shared after a stalk was blown, an arrow was realeased, a bull was spotted, a bugle erupted, a shed was found, or "our" animal was recovered. It's the disappointed smile after a missed shot, or the emotional tear rolling down his cheek after a long, but successful tracking job that will accompany me in the elk woods this fall.

It's hard for me to express the undeniable allure I have to the wildernesses that contain elk. While I love to kill a big bull as much as anybody, I can definitively say that it is not the trophy antlers that motivate me. There are no antlers in the world that could top the trophy of last year's elk hunt...although I never loosed an arrow.

10-Jun-15
Jesse, my condolences on your Dad's passing. You pretty much summed up my thoughts. This year will most likely be the last hunt we will go on with my Dad, as he is suffering from Alzheimer's that is getting increasingly worse. Great post.

Mike

11-Jun-15
Thanks Lou...starting to look forward to elk season...and I'm not even on the same continent as you guys!!

Best of luck to everyone for 2015 elk season

11-Jun-15
Just read through this thread and I've got goosebumps - and it ain't cold! Can't wait to go elk hunting again this year.

Just have to add:

"a true pleasure and uniquely American event to be in the Mountains during the September rut. bow in hand on public land!"

And for some of us Canadians too, although (I suppose) we are North Americans....!

11-Jun-15

Big Dog's embedded Photo
Big Dog's embedded Photo
What a question! The allure of elk hunting? As many have stated there is nothing like being in elk country. My first elk hunt in 1993 had me hooked. There is just something about the mountains. From the planning of the hunt to the actual hunt itself, I love being around my hunting partners who have the same passion for chasing elk as I do.

This year will be a little different I will be taking my youngest daughter who will be a high school senior this year (oldest daughter cant get away she is in college working on getting into a nursing program), my son who is 12 and been wanting to elk hunt since he was big enough to hunt, my wife, and my in-laws (in case the grand kids put their first tag on an elk). I can't wait to experience the mountains with them and watch them get hooked on elk and elk country as I have done. To see the sun rise and set I over the mountains, hear a bull bugle, or just to gain respect for this creature in his habitat. And just maybe tag their first elk!

My hunting buddies will be a few miles away but we will get to meet up share some stories, some info, enjoy God's beautiful Creation, and let the kids experience what we have grown to love about elk hunting!

11-Jun-15

11-Jun-15

11-Jun-15

11-Jun-15