Jack Harris 09-Jun-15
Browning Hunter 10-Jun-15
LUNG$HOT 10-Jun-15
IdyllwildArcher 10-Jun-15
Barty1970 11-Jun-15
07-Jun-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
I went elk scouting this morning in a new spot. After descending a very steep, rocky mountainside with deadfall everywhere, I came upon a USFS trail with this sign.

As you can see, that "steep hill" could be navigated by a 5 year old on a bike with training wheels. Whoever decided to put that sign there obviously wasn't an elk hunter!

07-Jun-15
Tax dollars at work!

07-Jun-15
"Whoever decided to put that sign there obviously wasn't an elk hunter!"

No....but they were obviously a federal employee.

07-Jun-15
" Here kid....take this bag of signs and nail them out...don't bring any back."

07-Jun-15
I didn't take a photo of the other funny one - will do it next time I'm in there. It was a standard USFS sign about hikers yielding to horses, except they spelled it "YEILD".

I hadn't finished laughing about that one when I came upon the treacherous "steep hill". I looked around to make sure I wasn't missing some other steep hill I hadn't noticed...

07-Jun-15
You were probably on candid camera being filmed for some dumb pranking reality show

07-Jun-15
You must have been near a city. Those signs are obviously for the granola eaters that venture away from their Subaru's;)

07-Jun-15
We're lucky that there aren't signs saying "Tree" on all the treetrunks. I think RutNut is right. The sign was probably labelling the hill that Lou came down, a benefit for the Winnebago crowd wandering by on that garden path of a trail. "Look, Irene, a steep hill. Ya don't see those everyday."

They would have been snapping all sorts of pictures of Lou had they seen him bombing down the slope. Irene might've asked him to autograph an x-ray.

07-Jun-15
Actually nowhere near a city. Well, relatively. It's 55 miles from the nearest town. This trail isn't shown in a NF trail map, either.

I find strange stuff in this NF fairly often. Like maybe some intern needed a project to do this time.

Once on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere I found interpretive signs planted here and there, describing the forest succession, bird nesting habitat, dwarf mistletoe. There was no trail to this place, nothing to define it in any way, just a random mountainside.

07-Jun-15
Don't worry-the forest circus has your back.

07-Jun-15
OK. That blows that theory out of the water.

07-Jun-15
Ah yes, the USFS---Their inability to lift a finger to thwart or even attempt to mitigate off trail usage in Southern Utah is the reason I'm done patronizing a couple towns down there every year. Even when the're spoon fed detailed maps of abused spots...even with TIMES of infractions and PICTURES, nothing gets done and the quad queens win again.

07-Jun-15
Only from the feds...and the guy is probably making $60,000 and getting sky-high benefits.

Could a been worse, we were walking and turkey calling a service road in the Black Hills when they dynamited a spot about 100 yards from us on a late Saturday morning.

They came to our screams, and said they didn't know anyone was in the area...but they'd driven right by my Jeep.

Forest Circus...I like that, a lot.

07-Jun-15
After further investigation the trail originates in a small private development where a few people ride horses around the lower end of the big NF basin. Otherwise it's fairly inaccessible unless you're a bushwacking, timber-bashing idiot like, well..

I guess the upside is that they aren't riding ATVs all around in there.

I found another random government sign along the trail advising people not to dump trash. Strange. The nearest public road with NF access is about 4 miles as the crow flies, about 1000 feet higher, on the other side of a terrible deadfall-covered ridge.

At least we know the trail riders aren't going to be surprised by any steep hills popping up unexpectedly!

07-Jun-15

grasshopper's embedded Photo
grasshopper's embedded Photo
I like this sign near my property posted by the water district. Anyone think "certain death" would deter trespassers? I need a few more signs like this

07-Jun-15
Lol...Certain death becomes you....

08-Jun-15
I ain't gonna bash the FS (no I don't work for them). they do an adequate job overall with limited resources, and like it or not it's our playground. Gotta admit "steep hill" is a new one.

08-Jun-15
Don't be too critical. The sign is probably ADA compliant. Afterall, blind hikers cannot see how steep a hill may or may not be.

08-Jun-15
No doubt the kid that was sent out to install the signs, had to be a minority hire.

08-Jun-15
That is some funny stuff right there!!!

08-Jun-15
On North Indiana heading south to Arvada is a sign that says, "Hill Blocks View." That one gets me every time.

No merging traffic or driveways over the hill. Nothing. Just a hill blocking the view.

08-Jun-15
I bet the Fed employee was suppose to put that sign on the top of a steep trail. When he got to the trail, he figured it was too steep to climb, so he just stuck it on a post.

08-Jun-15
Actually that trail is named after John Steep. A pioneer in 1820. Thus Steep Hill.

Just kidding I have no idea but assuming it's likely named after someone :).

08-Jun-15
Maybe it was a dyslexic guy named "Peet"?

08-Jun-15
Sounds to me like maybe some interns having fun! ;-)

08-Jun-15
I don't know Lou, that hill looks pretty damn steep to a fat flatlander ! I get altitude sickness going up in an elevator you know.........

08-Jun-15
Don't ever let it be said they weren't doing the least they could do......

08-Jun-15
TD, that's brilliant! If I use it I'll give you credit.

Now you guys have me noodling over where to relocate that sign. You know, in the public interest as a concerned citizen. ...

09-Jun-15
Lou,

I've got a bottle of scotch that says you can't get a selfie of that sign in front of a "steep hill" at your local Walmart.

By "steep hill," what I mean is "in front of your groin next to 1-2 college girls in yoga pants."

09-Jun-15
WARNING.... life changing event... random yoga pant in a walmart can scar your psyche for life..... even whales and walrus have toes....

09-Jun-15
Ike, the Glendronach is my favorite, but Macallan will work.

I can make that happen. It will be a couple weeks before I can get back in there, but that sign may become a part of my hunting repertoire. Living in a college town full of very fit hotties who swarm the Wal Mart, I should be able to talk a a couple into going along.

Stay tuned!!

09-Jun-15
The vintage year goes backwards if you can manage a surreptitious pic, as does, um, subject quality.

09-Jun-15
Get it done Lou.

09-Jun-15

Browning Hunter's embedded Photo
Browning Hunter's embedded Photo
Lou,

It looks like someone at the USFS already moved it to a more appropriate spot :)

09-Jun-15
Damn, she sure wasn't around when I was there!

09-Jun-15
This thread is going downhill :)

09-Jun-15
Now after the "420" thread, any time I see hot women in yoga pants I have a Pavlovian urge to smoke some weed....

09-Jun-15

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

09-Jun-15
Browning Hunter, strong work with your wildlife photography. I tip my hat to you, sir.

"This thread is going downhill :)"

That's exactly the direction we like them to go!

"Now after the "420" thread, any time I see hot women in yoga pants I have a Pavlovian urge to smoke some weed...."

You don't have to justify it Lou, you live in CO.

09-Jun-15
GrassHopper, Willow Creek Res?

09-Jun-15
Browning Hunter gets "Bowsite Post of the year"!!!

10-Jun-15
That's some high praise, thanks gents! Just trying to live up to the high standards that bowsite has set on these important topics.

10-Jun-15

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
I figured this one was appropriate for the "archery" forum. Lol

10-Jun-15
Archery Soccer. Sounds like fun, but I wouldn't want to be the goal keeper.

11-Jun-15
DL...that sign looks very much the same font and layout as road signs here in the UK...

• Sitka Gear