Treeline 08-Jun-15
txhunter58 09-Jun-15
SoDakSooner 09-Jun-15
gamechangerop 09-Jun-15
wildwilderness 10-Jun-15
Buglmin 10-Jun-15
SoDakSooner 10-Jun-15
08-Jun-15
I was lucky enough to get connected with a resident of Colorado gmu 45 and me and my father our going otc archery elk hunting this fall. We will be going the 12th through the 19th. This is our 2nd elk hunt and we haven't been since 2006. We plan on having a base camp and doing "spike camps" a couple days while we are out there. Just looking for any advice you can give. We are from Kansas and have already started our workout routine so being in shape shouldn't be too much of a problem. I feel like we will be in good hands since the guy we are going with lives there and will be scouting for us all summer.

08-Jun-15
I'll pm you. We have hunted that unit.

08-Jun-15
Oh yeah, get in shape...High altitude for sure.

08-Jun-15
Enjoy your time in the field first and foremost! Should be decent timing to hear them talking, but there will be muzzle loaders out there then. Fishing can be really good as well. Might get a little snow if you are up at treeline. Work hard on getting in shape - hard coming from the flatlands.

09-Jun-15
Get you some of these: http://altitude-adjustment.com/

Whether or not your have real problems with altitude, this kind of product will make the transition easier. I actually have a mile for of altitude sickness that used to make me miserable for the first 3 days of getting up high. Used to take prescription meds, but when I take these, I don't have to.

Being in shape only gets you so far. Your body still needs time to adjust. I take them the day I leave home and for 4 more days. Normally, that is all I need, so 2 three day packs does one trip. Avoid caffeine and alcohol for those same 4 days and that will help too.

09-Jun-15
I use them too....cheap insurance. Don't know if they work, but haven't had any issues the last two years I have used them.

09-Jun-15
Thanks for all the info guys. I will be getting some of those altitude sickness adjust pills. It normally doesnt bother me too bad but the first 12-24 hours can suck. Does anyone know how that elk herd is doing and what type of bulls I might get into? The guy thats taking us has shown some pics of bulls he has taken out of that unit before but I didnt know if that was the norm.

10-Jun-15
OTC CO = raghorns

10-Jun-15
If this is your second elk hunt, do you really care about the quality of bulls in the unit? When guys want to impress somebody, they always show pictures of their biggest bulls. What you need to know is the success he's had over the past years.

10-Jun-15
FYI...we have seen good bulls in 45, just never had the good fortune to shoot one....lol.

• Sitka Gear