kota-man 22-Jun-15
crazyhawksfan 22-Jun-15
crazyhawksfan 22-Jun-15
kota-man 22-Jun-15
ELKDIY 22-Jun-15
ELKDIY 22-Jun-15
Shortdraw 22-Jun-15
10-Jun-15
Hey guys I'm going on a first time elk hunt this fall and am looking for a pack. Not looking to spend a ton but what's a quality pack for say somewhere in the 100 to 300 dollar range? Also what size? We will mainly be hunting from a base camp but could possibly bivy camp a few nights.

10-Jun-15
leftover KUIU Icon 1850 or 5200. I assume they still have a few of the originals. Can be had for about 3 bills. Some of the originals had issues with stays breaking but they supposedly fixed that.

NOw the new ICON pro 1850 or 3200 might fit the bill but more $$$

Some of the badlands stuff is supposed to be ok, and I always wanted to try the sitka day packs.

10-Jun-15
I would say very very few people broke the stays of the first ICON packs. I would check classifieds for a used KUIU pack. The Horn Hunter Full Curl would be a great pack for you at about $300. A Gregory would work well too. For just over $300 you can get a Seek Outside Divide. Anything 3000- 5000ci+ would be good if you are out of a base camp.You can get more meat in a 3000 than you will care to carry.

10-Jun-15
In that price range I would look at a Horn Hunter Full curl.

Or you can go the route I did my first year. I used an ILBE. I think i paid $75 for my ILBE. With some cutting you can shrink some if the weught off the pack. It got the job done. I also new after that year I wanted to have a good pack to hunt in the mtns every year.

10-Jun-15
Lots of folks liked the Eberlestock X2. I bought it after lots of folks on the bowsite elk forum recommended it.

I took it on two moose hunts. It served as a day pack. It was excellent at that. I also used it as a meat hauler. It hauled moose legs and other meat. I also used it to haul out a caribou.

I love the pack and it is only about $200.

This is my favorite pack thread on bowsite: http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=2&threadid=388403&MESSAGES=9&FF=2

10-Jun-15
Lots of great packs in that range. Buy used and save money or get better for less. Most packs are far from worn out. Good luck.

10-Jun-15
I think the question really is how big of a pack do you want? A day pack that you carry all day may be too small for bivy hunting. A large pack that you can carry all bivy gear with you may be too big for all day schlepping through who knows what....

Maybe you need 2 packs. A smaller, lighter day pack AND a larger pack for hauling meat and/or bivy hunting.

Just my $.02.

>>>>-------->

10-Jun-15
In that price range, if you can find a used KUIU Icon Pro 5200, you'll be good to go. Another used option would be an EXO Mountain 3500 or 5000. These options are going to push your price range, but would be well worth it in the end. R. Hale said it best...Better to go lightly used top end vs. a $300 "production" pack.

10-Jun-15
You need two packs. If you are going to be hauling meat or bivy camping, you need a big pack. If you have horses, guides or ATVs for hauling meat, use a fanny pack as day pack.

Chasing elk is just that. I like to go light weight with a quality fanny pack. Nicer for shooting a bow. I have a Blacks Creek Fanny Pack that I love! As for a meat hauling pack, I don't have a nice one. I still throw the pack frame in the truck, just in case.

I've tried out a few of my buddy's really expensive packs. They are incredible for hauling 50+ lbs of gear or meat. They are ergonomically superior. They might break the bank, but they won't break you back.

10-Jun-15
Horn Hunter Full Curl is 3 packs in one. Even with just the frame you will have some storage and your water bladder with you.

11-Jun-15
Listen to what Kota-Man has to say

11-Jun-15
Yesterday I got a Horn Hunter Full Curl for $280 new. I have yet to give it a workout but it sure looks and fits nice.

11-Jun-15
The best pack for the buck is my brand new Eberlestock Blue Widow that is for sale in the classifieds.

Best wishes.

11-Jun-15
Bison Gear, lifetime warranty and they mean it. Shawn

12-Jun-15
Just remember that bull elk are large critters! If you happen to get one and have a small to medium pack...you are screwed! It will likely take more trips plus it will be super uncomfortable trying to pack out 50 to 100 lb loads with a pack that is only designed for 40 lb loads! Generally speaking packs under around 6,000 cu in aren't designed for loads over around 50-60 lbs. Another consideration is weight. If a pack weighs over 6 1/2 lbs and is under 6,000 cu in it is quite heavy for the volume it is capable of packing (materials are super heavy).

As mentioned above, ideally it's nice to have a couple of packs. One for hunting and another for meat hauling.

If you go with a system similar to Kifaru you can buy a frame and interchange several different bags. Both the kifaru duplex and bikini frames are rated for 100 lbs...and you can buy a couple different bags or 1 bag that can be used for multi-purposes...and still capable of 100 lb loads. Take a look at some of the videos on the Kifaru website. I bought 2 almost new Kifaru bags plus a frame for super deals used. You will likely pay over $300 but it may be cheaper than buying several other packs that you may be disappointed with after you've tried them! Some of the older Kifaru models can be purchased used at super reasonable prices.

I bought an Arcteryx Bora 95 about 20 years ago and have used and abused it. It has been my go to pack for hauling camp/meat until I got my Kifarus. I believe it is around 7,000 cu in and weighs around 7 lbs without the lid. You can likely pick up a new or nearly new one for dirt cheap (around $100). If you want to go with 2 different packs (one for hauling camp/meat plus another for day hunting) you can likely get an Arcteryx plus a small day pack for around $300. That would likely be my recommendation if you are pinched for $!

12-Jun-15
My experience: I bought an eberlestock j34. Great pack for a day pack and shed hunting, but boned out meat... sucks! I'm on the fence of keeping or selling.

Bought a Horn hunter... great design minus some of the materials and a few ill placed features (like hydration holes...). It hauls well, but IMO not optimal for day pack. I try to avoid using a pack w/ frame above shoulders for day pack b/c of hanging up on limbs, after the kill you will want this feature. The belt has a lot to be desired. I plan on replacing my belt and customizing my HH as a rifle hunting pack and/or hauler only.

B/c the HH is a decent hauler I wish I had skipped the eberlestock, but if you are packing in or plan on using your pack more than the occasional hunt I would get my hands on a kuiu at the minimum... preferably a kifaru. For the budget minded I would get a kelty cache and a random day pack.

12-Jun-15
Love my horn hunter full curl. I traded out the waist belt buckle with another pack's buckle I had which took one minute. I did have to make my own holes for the hydration hose like said earlier. But it hauls heavy weight comfortably and is versatile. I day hunt with mine with no problems. it is very compact configured this way. In the off season I have a 50# dumbbell lashed into the sling in stripped frame hauler mode and walk/run the incline treadmill while watching the morning news.

If I were you knowing what I know now, I would buy the horn hunter curl combo and use a dry bag sandwiched between the day pack and frame for bivy outs. The curl combo is less than $250. I don't even use the big bag that came with the full curl system anymore. just the frame and day bag and a $20 dry bag.

I have used the $700+ packs and there is very little advantage. Certainly not $500 worth.

12-Jun-15
"Just remember that bull elk are large critters! If you happen to get one and have a small to medium pack...you are screwed! It will likely take more trips plus it will be super uncomfortable trying to pack out 50 to 100 lb loads with a pack that is only designed for 40 lb loads! Generally speaking packs under around 6,000 cu in aren't designed for loads over around 50-60 lbs."

This is not good advice. It is the frame that will dictate the ability to carry weight, not the size of the bag. You will get more meat in a 3000ci bag than you care to carry. You can easily carry an elk quarter on a smaller Kifaru or in the load shelf of a smaller Stone Glacier, or Icon Pro 1800. This setup will be more comfortable than the same quarter in a 7000ci pack from a lesser company.

12-Jun-15
I agree with MuleyFever's point. Everybody's comfort level with weight is different though so I would say that it is the human not the frame or any other feature of a pack that will dictate how much weight that can be carried comfortably.

Buy once, cry once! Get a used Kifaru in the 3000-4500 range for day hunts and short overnights. I love my Late Season for this purpose. Guys that like more compartments might like the Timberline 3 or one of the newer model packs.

12-Jun-15

Carnivore's Link
Where is your hunt? If you are driving from Kansas to Colorado, you can hit the used gear stores in Denver/Boulder. I've bought and sold gear at a couple of the stores mentioned in the linked article. The packs won't be camo, but you can safety-pin a $2 piece of camo fabric to one.

12-Jun-15
You guys are right about my 6,000 cu in statement. The point I was trying to make is that most packs under 6,000 cu in really aren't designed for 100 lb loads nor the bulk of elk hind quarters. Kifaru and a couple others may be exceptions to this rule since they have super hefty frames designed for 100 lb loads. Just because a pack is 6,000 cu in also doesn't mean that it has a frame designed for hefty loads.

13-Jun-15
X2 Jason Scuutt

13-Jun-15
The new Kuiu Ultra 3000 or 6000 are the best packs out there for the money. Right around 3.5 pounds and $350 bucks...

13-Jun-15
If it were me - I'd purchase something really cheap for the day hunts "$75 for ILBE", and then have enough left over for something like the Eberlestock X2 for about $200.00, that would work for hauling game and the possibility of a bivy ... both situations covered.

13-Jun-15
X2 for hauling game? No thanks....took the first load out with an X2. Thank goodness it was only a half mile because every ounce of the weight was on my shoulders!

13-Jun-15
Yeah I wouldn't be buying an X2 for hauling heavy loads. Especially if your a tall guy. The Horn Hunter has functional load lifters. Kota said it best. Buy a used Exo mountain for in that price range.

15-Jun-15
Check out Bullpacs and go from there.

15-Jun-15
I will sell you a sage color KUIU Ultra 6000 with tall frame and s/m belt for $280.

16-Jun-15
Get you a Badlands Clutch, best of both worlds. Big enough to pack your camp and elk with, yet small enough for day hunts. In your price range as well.

16-Jun-15
I'm very happy with the KUIU 1850 Icon Pro. Great for carrying camp and can carry out the first load with it. Price is $350 I think.

For true meat carrying ability I prefer the ILBE. It's super comfortable to me. If you're on a budget buy one used for less than $100 - you'll never regret it. I've trimmed the extras off of mine and got it down to 6lb - 8oz.

18-Jun-15
Hop on this deal NOW! Rokslide Classifieds ... Kifaru Timberline for $350 shipped.

21-Jun-15
Is base camp at a trailhead, or backpacked in somewhere? If its just from a trailhead with a possible bivy or two, I'd probably pick up a kelty cache hauler to leave there, then pick up a lighter ~65l backpacking pack from somewhere like REI (Gregory, osprey, deuter, & rei all make pretty good stuff). They could even work as an all in one (osprey argon 85l or 100l for example). It is definitely beneficial to be able to physically go somewhere where you can try the pack on before buying. Especially if you get a pack with a non-adjustable frame. Or, probably search the classifieds for a used pack.

I think you pay a bit for camo, and pick up a bit of extra weight too, without a lot of extra performance until you get to the higher end packs (stone glacier, kifaru, seek outside, mchale). I believe that the first edition of the kuiu packs had som problems with slipping straps...

21-Jun-15
Hey thanks alot for all the suggestions guys! What about the sitka packs anyone using those?

21-Jun-15
Sitka packs make great daypacks...Not so good for hauling weight though.

And for the guy wo says there's "little advantage" to using a $700 pack vs. his Full Curl system hasn't worn a properly fitted $700 pack. Load up the Horn Hunter and load up a Kifaru T2 and I will tell you what 99% of hunters would choose...hands down. Whether or not those differences are worth $500 is up to the individual, but to say there's no advantages is ludicrous. That's like the guy that says his Nikon Monarchs have "little advantage" over Swarovski EL's.

21-Jun-15
I definitely agree with Kota-mans last statement!

In regard to Sitka. I have a bivy 45 that is really nice for day hunting but I wouldn't dream of hauling out 2 hind quarters, cape, front qtrs, etc with it! It's possible but as many have stated above a lot of packs aren't designed for 100 lb loads. On steep, uneven, terrain at high elevation most hunters are inclined to use gear that is designed for a particular job and can do it safely and comfortably!

21-Jun-15
Agree with Kota. Great advice

21-Jun-15
Not going to say they are as good as $700 packs but two good for the money options would be a used Kelty Cache Hauler paired with a duffel or a good trekking backpack like a Deuter 60+10. Either can be had for less than $200 and both will handle loads up to 75 lbs. fairly comfortably. My legs wont do much heavier in the mountains so I can't comment on anything heavier. I dump gear and use the Deuter for the first load and Grab the Kelty from the truck for the rest. Also stay clear of the Eberlestock Team Elk pack, It looks like it would work but the load lifters don't work at all. It's a real shoulder killer with more than 50#.

21-Jun-15
There is a duplex frame with T2 bag on Rokslide as well as a Exo pack that are both great packs and good deals.

21-Jun-15
Right now you can buy a Kifaru Timberline T2 for under $500 ($483 with Guide lid) on Kifaru's Father's Day Sale. THAT is a screaming deal on an awesome pack.

22-Jun-15
Ok guys need some more advice. So I've decided maybe I need two packs one for a day pack and then a bigger one for a meat hauler and for if we decide to pack in a ways for a night or two. So for strictly hauling meat and possibly getting used for say 3 days on a backpack hunt what would you suggest? Same packs as we've been discussing or something different? Remember I'm on a budget. Also what's a good daypack?

22-Jun-15
How about a KUIU Icon Pro 1850 with frame and suspension and a KUIU Ultra 6000 Bag or even the Icon Pro 7200 bag? That would be a great set up that doesn't completely break the bank.

22-Jun-15
Kota-man thanks for your help so far! So does the 1850 come with a frame that would also fit a 6000 or 7200 bag?

22-Jun-15
Also what about the Ultra series of kuiu packs? Noticed they're a bit cheaper then the icons.

22-Jun-15
Yes...YOu use the same frame and suspension on the 1850 and 7200. The Ultra series of packs is "ok" however the suspension is no where near what the Icon Pro suspension is. You can use the Icon Pro Suspension with the Ultra with some simple mods that KUIU can help with. So, if you are looking at an Ultra, look at the Icon Pro Suspension and frame. Personally, I wouldn't mess with the Ultra but it is a less expensive option.

22-Jun-15
Crazyhawksfan-

Below is a link to Kota's(Cory) latest pack review. This is a great guide from a fellow hunter who has put the packs through the true test. Great advice.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=438748&forum=2

22-Jun-15

ELKDIY's Link
This link should be embedded.

22-Jun-15
I would look for a Kifaru or a Mystery Ranch used if you can or just save $200 more and buy one new. Stone Glacier is badass as well but a little more than you want to spend. EXO Mtn Gear is another great pack too. Like these guys said, packing meat is no joke and you need to be as comfortable as you can with a pack that fits. 100lbs on your back is tough for a long walk so it's essential you don't fatigue or get bogged down from a cheap pack. I use a Mystery Ranch Metcalf with NICE Frame. It fis me solid. I used an X2 for a few years mostly packing out mule deer. It did the job just fine but when i loaded it up with more than 50lbs of meat plus gear i had an issue with it digging into my side a bit. Still, it's a solid pack for $200. The Just One Pack they make is great too or the Blue Widow. I just try and save my money to get US made stuff as much as possible. I lived about 10 miles from Mystery Ranch so it was easy to test packs out. Kifaru is amazing as well.

• Sitka Gear