elknailer 14-May-16
Plywood Bender 14-May-16
Plywood Bender 14-May-16
JLeMieux 14-May-16
Ben 14-May-16
Ben 14-May-16
JLeMieux 16-May-16
10-Jun-15
(2016 Update... I settled on the Ultimate Hunter with fit IQ. Here is a one year report...)

I need a new pair of boots. I am planning an archery OTC hunt in Colorado. Everyone says that elk hunting is an addiction for life. So these boots will need to last and work well on an elk hunt.

There are a zillion boot threads. I've used those to narrow my options to one of the Meindl boots sold by Cabelas.

Now which one of the those??? Cabelas sells 5 models of uninsulated Meindls.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the ultralight. It seems that removing weight from my feet would help climb the mountains...

Thoughts????

10-Jun-15
I run the Denalis, by far my best boot ive owned as far as water proofness, fit, and comfortability goes.

10-Jun-15
Ultralight hunters. They were a real bear to break in, probably about 100 miles, but once they were broken in they are as comfortable as any boot I've ever worn.

10-Jun-15
Don't buy the perfect hunter. Mine squeaked.

10-Jun-15

Teeton's Link
I love my Perfect Hikers.. They fit "my" feet great and have served me well.. I like them over my lowa tibet. I'm on my 3rd pair over the years. First 2 or 3 years western hunting only then I use them hunting everything and hiking. Then they go to my daily. I waterproof them with Nikwax nubuck and/or waterproof wax only. Feet stay dry very good with this. I started using nikwax for about 5 years now and like it the best over other waterproofing.

But just make sure what ever boot u get,that they fit "UR" feet not well, but great.

10-Jun-15
I love my Perfekt hikers too. Best boot I've owned.

10-Jun-15
I have the Denali's and the Perfect Hunters. With the Perfect Hunters I have some heel slip that keeps them from being a perfect fit for my foot and I have adjusted the lacing pattern on them to get a reasonabley good fit.

The Denali's fit like a glove but the FitIQ makes them warmer than a truly uninisulated boot but its not a problem for me. They have replaced my Lowa Tibets as my go-to boot. I've put comparable mileage on the Denali's and the Tibets and, so far, the Denali's are holding up every bit as well.

I remove the factory insole and use a Superfeet Blue insert in each of these.

10-Jun-15
In the description on Cabelas, look for "made in Germany" If it says that, you are good. If it says "imported" they are made in southeast Asia and don't hold up as well.

10-Jun-15
I have the Ultralight Hunters, very comfortable , waterproof and light.

10-Jun-15
I have had the Cabelas 7" Perfekt Hikers for over five years now. When I put them on in the store I knew immediately they were perfect, at least for me. I don't like high boots because they tend to cut off my circulation if tied all the way to the top. They aren't light weights but they are rugged.

10-Jun-15
There are several considerations I make when searching for boots for hunting Colo and Wyo elk. #1 is weight. The lighter....the better! You will likely find out that elk hunting is a matter of covering miles and miles finding elk. You will likely regret buying heavy, stiff boots!

#2 quiet, thinner soles...especially when archery hunting. It's impossible to stalk quietly in boots with thick, stiff soles. Heavier and taller boots are tougher to stalk quietly.

#3 waterproof. My preference is gortex lined boots. Not all gortex is created equal.

With that said I would seriously consider a boot similar to Lowa Renegades. My sheep/mtn goat boats are Lowa Tibets but I would never try to elk hunt in them except maybe in deep snow....they are to stiff with thick soles.

10-Jun-15
I have the ultralight hunters, one of the best boots I have owned, I also have lowa's high end meindles, high end danners, funny how the made in china meindles are my favorite! They are fugly though

10-Jun-15
Go try them on. I bought my pair about 15 years ago and they have never worked in to fit well. Must have 200-300 miles on them and still get blisters.

Your feet will tell you if the boot is right for you.

Mine squeak too.

10-Jun-15
Ultra lights. Have 3 pair, one for work and two for hunting.

10-Jun-15
I got the Air Revolution last year for elk hunting and they did well. Will use them again this year for timberline mule deer in UT. Pretty much zero break in time and lightweight. They're about the closest thing I've found that matches their previous Ibex Hunting Boot.

11-Jun-15
Don't buy the perfect hunter. Mine squeaked.

11-Jun-15
Got the Cabela's ultralight hunters. Made in Nam. very happy after 1 season.

11-Jun-15
Cabela's Alaska hunter. Probably the best boots I've ever owned, I have some Russell custom boots, also Irish setter elk hunters, The Cabelas are the best for comfort and support. Used them for a sheep hunt last year, also for just hiking around deer hunting hear in Pa. Worked great in both environments. Change out the insoles and maybe use some water proof wax on them before going out( This is just to be safe) Read their reviews on Cabelas site.

11-Jun-15
I am on my third pair of Perfekt Hunters,,,,,like them a lot,,,no squeak issues,,,,real good for rocky terrain but may be to stiff in the sole for some applications,,,,,,

11-Jun-15
I have the Perfekt Hunters and they also squeaked, but a little bit of wax on the tongue each year and they are good to go.

They have performed and held up well. No other complaints.

11-Jun-15
The new Western Guides are by far the best, the Denalis are a close second...

11-Jun-15
I have the Denalis and they are, without a doubt, the best boots I've ever owned in my life. The took a bit of breaking in, but not too horrible. I'm considering buying another pair because I'm so paranoid that they will quit making them. They are so comfortable that I wear them around the house and for fishing, too. I tossed the insole they came with and slip in my prescription insole.

That said, my dad tried a pair and could not wear them due to his odd shaped foot. A boot isn't something that should be selected from an internet forum (though they are great for ideas). You'll have to try on a few to figure out what is best for you.

Good luck.

11-Jun-15
My perfekts squeak and I have 2 pair. I have owned alot of high dollar boots and none were waterproof more than 3 years. i think the gortex membrane cant hold up to the miles but thats a guess. Im going to try some danner pronghorns and just replace them every other year.

11-Jun-15
Cabelas has a door buster sale this Saturday in Denver and the insulated Pronghorns are $95. Maybe similar sales in other locations.

I agree with the fact that most if not all "waterproof liners"gortex, only last a 2-3 years. Leather, if not treated a lot, with allow water/moisture in.

The less stitches a boot has, the better.

Always a challenge to find the perfect boot for all occasions. If hunting out of a truck or camp, I take along 2 pairs for dry and wet days.

11-Jun-15
I have the vented Perfekt lightweight 7" high. Now my Lowas and Keens are nothing more than nasty workboots.

I generally hunt high country in late August through September. My feet sweat a lot and these work great. If I was hunting in October I would suggest the solid unvented boots.

Of course they aren't waterproof but they dry quickly due to the air circulation.

As mentioned above they have very stiff soles. Not as good for stalking but very good if you've ever had a foot injury because they protect well. The Keens that I used before were so soft that my feet hurt after walking on uneven rocks.

The Meindls have never squeaked for me. Probably have 75-100 miles on them now.

11-Jun-15
I used to wear Perfekt boots, but decided they were too heavy. Thinking outside the box.....I now either hunt in lightweight cross-overs, like Merrells or if I'm going to cross a lot steams or water use a lightweight hiking wader with a Seal Skinz. A win-win-win, keeps your feet dry, hike anywhere and super light weight. Good for almost anywhere, unless you want to use clampons for Mt. Goat hunting, then I'll use something more stout.

11-Jun-15
I'd say get to a cabelas and try some on. OR order some boots from a place w/ free returns and find out what fits your feet, not everyone elses.

11-Jun-15
I would have to agree with elkstabber in regard to his statement about foot injury with thin soles. I used to archery hunt in Nike's but as I age my feet can't handle that kind of pounding on rocky terrain. You want to talk about stalking in stealth mode....the Nike's sure were quiet! I pretty much dispise wearing high topped, thicked soled boots for stalking. Those that haven't tried lighter, shorter hiking boots don't know what you are missing.

There is generally a trade off if you are hunting in an area with lots of rock or in terrain with steep sidehills. I've found it next to impossible to stalk quietly with thick soled boots but a sole similar to Lowa Renegades are about perfect. There is no way I would elk hunt in a pair of boots that weigh over 3 lbs so keep that in mind...your legs and lungs will thank you! Elk hunting success or failure is often a matter of how many miles you can hike in a day!

With that said it is nice to have a selection of boots to fit the particular terrain and weather you will be hunting!

11-Jun-15
I second those who have said try them on in the store. Who knows, the perfect Meindl may say Lowa on the side when you leave. All great boots, just find what YOU like!

11-Jun-15
Brotsky,

You might be right. I'm thinking one of my top criteria is weight. The Lowa Regegades get high reviews and are lighter than all the Meindls.

The Meindl Light Hikers and active day hikers are close. But they don't have the cork footbed that seems to be the best feature of the Meindls...

Decisions...Decisions...

But keep those votes coming.

5 votes: Ultralight Hunters but are made in Vietnam. 5 votes: Perfekt kikers 3 votes: Denali 1 vote: 5 other styles

And, I do plan on spending a good bit of time at Cabelas asking questions and trying several on. I may also stop by Rei to try on the Lowa Renegades...

11-Jun-15
I don't have any experience w/ meindls but someone compared the perfekts to the lowa tibets. There is no way I'd bow hunt in tibets, hell I have lowa rangers and I think those soles are still too stiff for stalking. My kenetreks are out of the question, feels like you're walking on planks, but you'll love'm when climbing steep terrain or have a heavy pack on. There is a happy medium for everyone.. I hope you find yours. Research will help limit costly unneeded boots.

For me there is a degree of feel I want w/ the ground.. too much feel and you're hurting, too little and you can't tell your about to snap a log on your stalk. The renegades fit my bill perfectly.

11-Jun-15
There are some great comments on this post! I also agree that everyone's feet are a little different. I would also mention that if I was hiking all day on 45 degree slopes I would likely grab a different pair of boots than if I was hunting open sagebrush country! If you do much hunting in the West you will likely find that it is good to have a fairly broad selection of boots for different terrain and weather conditions.

I've noticed several guys mention that they toss the insoles that come with the boots in the garbage. I also do this. A lot of guys swear by superfeet but my particular feet need more padded insoles. If I'm going to hike long distance I almost always wear socks similar to thorlos that have additional padding in the bottom of the socks plus padded insoles.

12-Jun-15
The squeak can be fixed by waxing the tongue.

12-Jun-15
I've used bow string wax.

12-Jun-15
If you hunt high grass and it is wet (north face of a mountain within day of rain) your feet will be soaked no matter goretex, wintex, nickwax, gaitors, rain pants, anything else or all the above. Have backup pair and alternate and let the wettest ones dry while stuffed with news paper if base camping. If bivy hunting I prefer non goretex/wintex because they dry faster while wearing them. I have gone two days with wet to damp feet wearing goretex boots on bivy hunts after the grass is dry. Non goretex/wintex dry half a day after the grass is dry. Always wear wool socks.

Gaitors help if passing through wet grass but if you are stuck in it and still want to play the game you will have wet feet.

12-Jun-15
I've been very happy with my Perfekt Hikers.

13-Jun-15
the ones I had were junk eyelet ripped out on first lace up and there huge for the size and if you are med width the toe box is huge.

13-Jun-15
"The squeak can be fixed by waxing the tongue.' Am I the only one that finds this funny

13-Jun-15
Meindls for sure.

13-Jun-15
I tried the perfekt hikers and the perfekt light hikers by Meindl. I liked them both but ended up returning both pairs since I could not get a good fit for my foot with either boot. The Meindl are a great boot but not if they do not fit your foot shape. I went with the salomon 4d quest and they are a "perfekt" match for me.

13-Jun-15
Perfekt Hikers and Hunters have been my boot of choice for about 20 years for hunting and everyday wear to work. They wear great and fit my feet. I have narrow bony heels and a bit wider front so the toe box is "Perfekt". It was like they modeled my foot for the boot. On the other hand the other Meindl boots that are heavier design (Islanders as sold in Canada, and maybe Alaskan in US?) give me heel blisters and are a bit narrow up front. Different design that I can only wear on the flat! or suffer.

As per quality, I have not noticed the supposed quality drop off in the Perfekt line over the years. They fit the same and wear the same for me. I've had about 7 or 8 pairs over the years, with about half still functional in various stages of remaining life from like new to the Vibram soles well worn and Goretex leaking.

13-Jun-15
Had perfect hunters and they squeak. Do what I just did for my wife. Order 4 different pair of high end boots and compare to find the right one for you because they are all so different. She tried perfect hunters over lowa Tibet's, zambarlan and kenetrek mt extremes with the kenetreks a very close second. They were $100 more and that probably swayed her. Don't skimp on boots! Sore fatigued feet really suck on a hunt. I use kenetreks and they have served me well

14-Jun-15
I waxed the piss out of my tongue and didn't last a day. I wear schnees now.

14-Jun-15
I wore out a pair of Ibex and took them back to Cabela's because of some stitching issues and they gave me credit on another pair of Ibex. I am still using the second pair of Ibex. I don't know if they still offer that boot but the equivalent would get my recommendation.

14-Jun-15
I will buy Cabelas Brand products when possible for a couple reasons; 1-They are most of the time excellent products 2- When they are not the quality we expect they stand behind their product 100%. I do not mind spending money for a good product with great service and Cabelas has stood behind everything I have ever had a problem with. Cabales Perfect 7 hikers will be on this years elk trip.

14-Jun-15
I went to Cabelas yesterday. I tried on several. And i went to REI for the Lowa Renegades.

I wound up worth the ultimate hunters with the fit iq. The perfekt hikers seemed to have a lot of heel slip.

I'm not sure why. I don't know if i love the ultimates. I'll wear them on a treadmill and give them the final test.

15-Jun-15
I really liked the Ultralights.

15-Jun-15
Next time I go to Cabelas I'm going to buy some Air Revolutions. I don't expect them to touch my Russells, but I like having an extra pair around.

I was going for Kenetrek, but the AR's sold me with their pitch. Seems they have vents when you walk they push old air out and suck new air in. Sounds like the ticket for keeping your foot cool.

Bowmania

17-Jun-15
I always am limited because I need a wide boot. I also take out the insoles and use Downunder foot beds.

26-Jun-15
I owned 2 pair of perfekt hikers. Ordered a 3rd and was shocked at the quality contol. The one pair looked like irregulars. I am using the Perfekt duty boots that I got on sale and a pair of vasque skywalks that I bought 4 years ago and are still going fine. Italian vasque, not the crap that they sell now.

27-Jun-15
I have several pair of the Ultralights and wear them on all my goat and deer hunts. Very light weight, very comfortable and waterproof as long as any other boot I've tried, which is at most about two seasons. Mine are usually worn out by then anyway.

10-Dec-15
I used the Fit IQ ones quite a bit this fall. I hiked a few miles every day while hunting Whitetails in Kansas this fall. I came to love these boots. They are very light and very comfortable.

I realize that Whitetails in Kansas is not quite the same as elk in Colorado. But so far, i am quite pleased with these boots.

10-Dec-15
On my 2nd pair of hikers and really like them. Wear them mostly for work but did an elk hunt with them and they did good. Prefer my Asolo a little bit better but they don't last quite as long.

11-Dec-15
Well 2nd season on my Ultralights made in Nam and they leak like a sieve. I'll still use them, just not when it rains or snows. Bought some all leather Georgia boots. Heavy but kept my feet dry and toasty in the rain a couple days ago.

11-Dec-15
I liked the Ultralights, I have the expensive made in germany meindl's and I can't stand them, way too heavy, so far my Ultratights don't leak any more than my expensive ones. You couldn't give me a heavy boot now

11-Dec-15
The Denali is the best in my opinion, and I've owned a "few". Hard to beat that boot for durability/support, to weight ratio.

11-Dec-15
i spent over an hour in cabelas trying on all the meindl models and they all seemed extremely stiff except the perfekt light hiker. its all leather and i used them on two bow elk hunts in colorado this year and they were great. i have an old pair of meindl grand junction hikers that are great too but they dont make them anymore so i got the light hikers and and thinking about buying another pair. good luck.

12-Dec-15
I have pakt 10's I think I love them.

13-Dec-15
The Denali's are really comfortable and provide tons of support. I'm really happy with them.

13-May-16
I've had my ultimate hunters with the fit IQ for about a year now.

I trained a bit last summer by hiking rough trails with a 50 lb pack. I hunted deer hard last fall. I have hunted turkeys very hard this spring in Kansas and Wisconsin.

I have come to love these boots. They are very soft and comfortable. They fit GREAT. and they are waterproof.

I highly recommend these boots. (but I admit that none of my testing was nearly as demanding as an OTC elk hunt)

13-May-16
Get the Denalis if you go that route, but I would recommend you try on a pair of Crispis before you purchase...

13-May-16
Perfect Hunters for me

13-May-16
another vote for Denalis

13-May-16
another vote for Denalis

13-May-16
I wear perfekt hunters for work every day (3 pair). Standing on concrete 10-12 hours...also wear them while elk and hog hunting. They get better with age. They squeaked some in the beginning, but not now

13-May-16
Love my perfekt hunters very comfy

14-May-16
I have the Ibex and really like them. I would love to find another pair. I recently picked up some Perfekt Hunter's from the bargain cave at Cabelas. Couldn't find anything wrong with them and they just said Misc under defect on the tag. Thought I had scored big time but unfortunately, they are a 1/2 size too big. Just enough room for my feet to slide. If anyone is looking for a pair shoot me a pm.

14-May-16
what size?

14-May-16
my perfect hunters and hikers are more comfortable than my best dress shoes.

14-May-16
I did my first CO Elk hunt last year. I was in the same position looking for boots. I ended up getting the Lowa Renegade in wide, because they were light and fit perfecty. I tried them on at a REI store and got the color I wanted from REI online.

Carl

14-May-16
I did my first CO Elk hunt last year. I was in the same position looking for boots. I ended up getting the Lowa Renegade in wide, because they were light and fit perfecty. I tried them on at a REI store and got the color I wanted from REI online.

Carl

14-May-16

14-May-16
I have a pair of Denali's and a pair of Ultralights that after 5 hard years I wore a hole in. I love the Ultralights, but Cabelas had a big sale on the Denalis so I bought a pair. The Denalis aren't broke in yet so I hate to say they won't be as good as the Ultralights I sure hope they will be. Right now I'd pick the Ultralights.

14-May-16
By the way. I fell 15' out of a tree stand 3 years ago wearing the Ultralights and hit standing up. The force sheared the joint on the inside of my ankle (tibia) off. I had my boots laced up good and tight and after the fall I was still able to walk on it. The Orthopedic Surgeon said that due to the excellent ankle support of the boots they kept me from having ligament damage, rare in my kind of break. It still had to be screwed back together, but it could have been a lot worse.

16-May-16
A couple of my buddies have the Ultralights and love them. They didn't feel comfortable to me though. I know my buddies love theirs and have packed out a couple elk while wearing them.

• Sitka Gear