LONEBULL 11-Jun-15
Russell 11-Jun-15
Bowhunter 11-Jun-15
HEAD DOCTOR 12-Jun-15
Castle Oak 12-Jun-15
CurveBow 12-Jun-15
ELKMAN 12-Jun-15
10-Jun-15
I have not purchased a rangefinder in a long time. Wondering what you all would recommend for bowhunting that is out on the market. Looking for one handed monocular style. Simple and accurate. Thanks in advance!!

10-Jun-15

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
This is last years model but I love mine. Accurate, waterproof, lightweight and has angle compensation. I think it has a low light conditions mode as well. I'm sure there are better out there but this won't break the bank either.

10-Jun-15

Features...

10-Jun-15
Nikon Archer's Choice + 1

Like the old commercial said, won't leave home without it. There may be some that work as well, but none that work better. Regardless which you choose, make sure it has angle compensation. Not much flat ground in elk country.

10-Jun-15
Leupold 1000i tbr on close out is the best you can get for $300.

10-Jun-15
last 4 bulls i killed were all less then 20 yrds

10-Jun-15
Bought my Leica 6 years ago and I've never had a single issue. Love it

10-Jun-15
Guess you don't need a range finder if you can just get them with in 20 yards all the time , would be great if that was the case , think i'd still get one and practice guessing yardage, then see how you did with range finder.

10-Jun-15
Birdman, you bring up a couple excellent points. A lot of elk have been killed at ranges where knowing the exact range wasn't critical. By contrast, there's also been a lot of elk that have been killed where it was. Fact is, you never know which scenario you'll be faced with when that bull of a lifetime mysteriously appears. As with everything else, you can't be too prepared.

As you point out, a rangefinder is invaluable for practicing yardage estimation. For every time I've used mine in actual hunting situations, I've used it 100 times for verifying yardage while practicing, and that's a modest estimate.

10-Jun-15
Another nod for Nikon Archer's Choice.

10-Jun-15
I will be following this thread with interest. I have been thinking of updating my rangefinder/making it a backup.

Last fall I misplaced my RF for a few weeks and had to get a replacement. Grabbed a Leupold based on the reviews but took it back after a week because the optics were not that good. Got a Leica because I like the red display, it was super fast and the optics were amazing. I could not believe how crisp it was. Took it back when I found my old one and after I found the ranging button was very loud. Not sure if others have found this but on a cold crisp morning ranging things when moose hunting it sure seemed loud.

I read quite a few Nikon reviews with complaints that they were useless in rainy/foggy conditions. The Nikon Arrow ID 5000 sounds very interesting….angle compensation, and distant target priority.

11-Jun-15
I like the vortex ranger I have. Nice and small, easy to use, and a good price.

11-Jun-15
Vortex ranger 1000 is awesome....red light up display makes ranging in low light conditions very easy to read

11-Jun-15
Vortex has a lifetime warranty also. Any reason qualifies and service is excellent! I have a pair of their binos. Very happy with them. Decent price for their range finder also.

11-Jun-15
Yeah, vortex is also a great product! Never used their rangefinder but I do have their binos and you can't beat the warranty!

11-Jun-15
I have the Nikon like Lungshot's and get on really well with it; part of my prep is to take my RF any time I'm out hiking or walking the dog etc and practice estimating ranges

11-Jun-15
Thank you all very much for the helpful information. I agree very much that being able to judge yardage is great skill to have and should be practiced. I am pretty good at judging within 50yds but that is in the midwest and not the mountains. I will range some targets when I get in position just for reassurance or confirm the elks yardage at the limit of my effective range for added confidence for the shot. I am a fan of vortex and Nikon. I will look into the models that have been recommended. Thanks again friends! God Bless!

11-Jun-15
Leupold 100i TBR.

11-Jun-15
We also have the Nikon model in your photo. I really like the angle compensating feature which I always leave on. We got them for our last Colorado Bighorn Ram hunt (2011). It displays what distance to shoot for rather than how far it is. A lifesaver for steep uphill or downhill shooting.

I also really like how in low light it displays the reading in LED red illuminated color. For the price, it is hard to beat.

11-Jun-15
There is a review in the latest Elk Hunter magazine that might interest you.

11-Jun-15
Be careful using the less expensive rangefinders. I've had and sold two Nikon ones (Archers Choice and an older model). Both would pickup small twigs, tall grasses, etc and provide a distance error compared to the intended target. That's a no-go.

Discovered this when using my Swarovski EL Range binos. Would get different distances and soon discovered why.

Sold both Nikons and purchased a Leica. Issue resolved.

11-Jun-15
I have the leupold. Wouldn't recommend it. The yardage is 2 yards different than all my buddies rangefinders, and the button is also noisy. Couple years ago crawled in on a group of bucks, and was trying to range through some sage brush and they heard it and spooked. Hoping to upgrade to a Leica or zeiss when I can afford it:)

12-Jun-15
You should try the leupold bow mounted rangefinder. it is one finger operation while you are drawn on the animal.It is super accurate, light and convienient. It is called Vendetta.

12-Jun-15
I have the Nikon Riflehunter 1000. It's been tough as nails-use for golf, work(measuring acreage) and hunting. The twilight feature is amazing and automatic on this model.

12-Jun-15
For elk hunting, regardless of the make, get one with the angle compensating feature. It may make a difference.....

Personally, I have used Bushnell products and have been happy with them. My son has a Leupold model and likes that one a lot.

>>>>-------->

12-Jun-15
The Leupold TBR is hard to beat for the money.

• Sitka Gear