Z Barebow 15-Jun-15
txhunter58 15-Jun-15
TD 15-Jun-15
Jaquomo 15-Jun-15
MambaHNTR 28-Jun-15
MambaHNTR 02-Jul-15
Beendare 05-Jul-15
11-Jun-15
I'm planning on a real bowhunt in September 2016. I will probably go this September for an armed scouting trip.

I've never seen an elk. My entire experience is reading bowsite elk forum for years.

So, what about calling? I understand that calling takes years to master. Where do I start? how do I start?

(As background, I am a decent goose, duck, and turkey caller. I also know a bit about moose and deer calling.)

11-Jun-15
Elknut has tapes and a book that has a lot of info. Elk 101.com has some info also. Good luck.

11-Jun-15
+++1 http://www.elknut.com/

Don't expect the normal hunting video of an elk hunt with a tiny bit of calling instruction thrown in. His videos tell you what the elk are saying and how to talk back. Very good info.

I recommend the 3 pack that includes volumes 1,2 and 4

11-Jun-15
Elknut has great instruction material.

Along with this, you could view elk videos (you tube has a ton), and try to mimick as many sounds as you can, especially if you are using a mouth diaphragm.

Ain't nuthin' like the "real thing" ;)

11-Jun-15
You're going to $h!t your pants the first time you here a real bugle less than a 100 yards away. :) Or at least I almost did. Lol. There's nothing greater than being in the woods when the rut is on.

11-Jun-15
"You're going to $h!t your pants the first time you here a real bugle less than a 100 yards away. :)"

+++ yup I almost did!! Such an addicting rush!

11-Jun-15
Lol. I r a good spellr'. Hear, not here. Hehe.

11-Jun-15
I learned a lot from elknut too. The production isnt exactly world class but they are informative. I'd also recommend elknuts playbook.

Watch some primos videos. They have great footage of elk doing their thing. Just be aware you cannot reasonably expect the quality of hunting those videos depict. Unless you're dropping $10k plus to hunt a private ranch.

11-Jun-15
Practice practice practice ...and when you hear that bull scream at your calls from 20 yrds you`ll piss down both legs and the hair on the back of your neck will stand up.....he`s coming be ready! best of luck to ya Mr

MikeC

11-Jun-15
I had a hard time staying interested in Elknut's stuff. I liked Elk101's Corey Jacobsen's seminar for very basic calling and set up techniques.

11-Jun-15
Practice practice practice ...and when you hear that bull scream at your calls from 20 yrds you`ll piss down both legs and the hair on the back of your neck will stand up.....he`s coming be ready! best of luck to ya Mr

MikeC..Just keep trying! you`ll get it

11-Jun-15
Learning to make the sounds is the easier part. Learning when to make them is a never ending journey. Calling is kinda like acting or talk radio, sometimes silence between dialogue and its timing has a big impact on how its received.

There are few things that equal a vocal, hormone pumped bull at close range on the side a of a mountain in September.

11-Jun-15
Pick up a Berry Thunder Bugle nothing out there is as easy to use. Get some extra white replacement reeds and your good to go.

11-Jun-15
Where is your hunt? What state?

11-Jun-15
Whether it's youtube, Elk101, or Primos, listen to as much as you can, and start mimicking all the different elk vocalizations. The more you can master, and the more realistic you sound, the better your odds. If you already know how to use a diaphragm, you're already ahead of the game. Diaphragms are the most versatile elk call there is IMO. You can duplicate darn near every elk vocalization there is, as well as add emotion into your calling. Best of all, they're hands-free.

That said, it's much more important to know when to call than how to call, and experience is the best teacher. Get into the elk woods as much as you can. There's no better teacher than the real thing.

11-Jun-15
http://www.roehuntingresources.com/Elk_Instruction

11-Jun-15
Buy all the calls you can. Practice, practice, practice. Then when it's time to hunt, leave all the calls.... every single one of them at your house and go chase bugles. If they aren't bugling, then go sit in a tree stand over water.

That's my advice. Calling does nothing but have them running unless you are on private land that no one hunts or there are only 5 tags. Even then leave them at home and chase bugles :)

Cheers, Pete

11-Jun-15
"Buy all the calls you can. Practice, practice, practice. Then when it's time to hunt, leave all the calls.... every single one of them at your house and go chase bugles. If they aren't bugling, then go sit in a tree stand over water. That's my advice. Calling does nothing but have them running unless you are on private land that no one hunts or there are only 5 tags. Even then leave them at home and chase bugles :) Cheers, Pete"

Not my experience, even with public land elk... but to each his own. You must be a flatlander whitetail hunter! ;)

11-Jun-15
Not my experience either. And I Dont know what I'm doing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it Dont,but its an incredible thrill when it does.

+ 1 on learning to use a diaphragm.

11-Jun-15
Interesting. On the public land I hunted last year they weren't bugling much at all and hunting pressure was high. Sitting in treestands over water was useless because water was everywhere. Chasing bugles would have been a non-starter with no bugles to chase. So I set up and blind-called in likely spots downwind of bedding areas.

Of the 14 bulls I called in, all came silently except one that let out a little whine when he was 70 yards out. Almost every one came in 25-35 minutes after I started my calling/stick-popping/ sequences.

Learning how to call, when to call, and when to NOT call will work on even the most pressured elk, if you do it right.

If you sit in one spot and rhythmically honk on a Hoochie Mama or a diaphragm, you'll likely only wear out your thumb or your tongue.

11-Jun-15
Pete is hardly a flatlander....just his style.

11-Jun-15
Any instructional stuff from Corey Jacobsen you can listen to will help you out.

There is a real good podcast of Corey and his techniques on Jay Scotts podcasts.

11-Jun-15
"I understand that calling takes years to master."

That's what the guys selling calls and advice want you to believe. Pick up any tape, learn to make the sounds, then copy what you hear the elk do in the field. If you hear many elk, you'll find that many of them aren't very good at it, by competitive calling standards.

11-Jun-15
Midwest, Thank you for sharing that.

11-Jun-15
Ziek is right. I've heard plenty of awful-sounding elk.

12-Jun-15
"Buy all the calls you can. Practice, practice, practice. Then when it's time to hunt, leave all the calls.... every single one of them at your house and go chase bugles"

I have been on numerous hunts where I didn't hear a single bugle. And the area we hunt has lots of flowing streams. So you either learn to call, or stillhunt. And even stillhunting, you will make noise and calling makes the elk think you are just another elk. The difference on public with lots of hunters is that the bulls will come in silent most of the time.

I will say this, 95% of my successes have been with cow calls, not bugles. If they are bugling, bugle calls will help you get them located, THEN chase the bugles and cow call. The one exception is when you happen to get between a bull and his cows, then a weak bugle will drive him nuts!

12-Jun-15
I agree with Midwest. Stick to seminars and guys using actual "Elk" sounds for learning...

13-Jun-15
Years?

No way. 4 to 6 hours a day, 2 months tops you'll be right in there. I'd suggest a walk in closet for practice....

That's right.... I'm a closet bugler.....

Have to get it down to where it's not even a thought to do it... just comes out of your mouth. Swallowing the reed and choking on it at the wrong time is a bust...

Secondly.... call it a mouth reed. TSA tends to frown when you tell them that "this is called a Grunt Tube and you use it with a Mouth Diaphragm....."

Had a famous elk killin' guy (heheheheh...) tell me once.... don't worry about the folks that tell you bugling doesn't work... they are probably just not that good at it.... guy has killed a train car of elk.... and he was dead on right. If you get good, know when, where and how... it's very effective. And hands down the most fun you can have with your clothes on..... in my case, prolly with them off too....

Cow calls are easy and death on satellite bulls. Herd bulls not so much as they want the cows to come to them.... until it's looking like somebody is snakin' their cows out from under them.... then it's like midnight at a rowdy bar and somebody is hittin' on your lady....

Not gonna kill that guy every time... me, solo calling is tough, I haven't put a monster on the ground yet, but oh my.... is it exciting...

IMO the calling is the easy part. The set up is where I brain fart it most every time. The set up is where you kill elk, not just call one in.

13-Jun-15
Here's another Corey Jacobsen beginner calling link:

http://www.elk101.com/2009/08/elk101-com-elk-hunting-tip-4/

13-Jun-15
I think most elk are educated so much as about everyone in the woods calls at them. A few mixed cow calls play the wind and that's more than effective.

13-Jun-15
For a beginner, the internet is your friend. Just learn a few basic sounds and build on those. Some of the products you buy are just sounds that are replicated from the internet.

Calling is not rocket science, its not even science. Some guys that have products may lead you to believe it is, but its not. Get 2 -3 open reed cow calls, a diaphragm if you chose to bugle, and get to practicing.

Like mentioned, your setup is very important. Go have some fun and let experience be your teacher.

14-Jun-15
Anybody can learn to blow a call it is how it is applied in the woods which is the most critical. The best training i have found was just getting in the trenches and chasing elk. If we learn from our mistakes then we can become a better elk hunter. Before i call to a herd , i try and figure out what there plan is!! are they are goin , to bed ,feed, water , are they relaxed stressed , this tells me my plan of attack or not to attack. The Wind is the most important aspect of the chase. Years back i would call all the time i have heard elk they will respond and its fun but whats the sense if u have no chance at killing them . If elk have there minds up the best calls will usually not turn them . I made less then 12 bugles total this year and yielded two 6by6 bulls WY MT all public land .

14-Jun-15
If I can bugle in a raghorn, anyone can.

Find a diaphragm and tube that suits you, and within a couple of hours almost anyone can make sounds that will bring in elk.

It's akin to flycasting in that people want to make it harder than it really is.

It's not all that difficult.

14-Jun-15
I will agree that elknuts videos are someone boring. But so can be sitting in a deer stand for hours. Our world today is built around instant gratification and excitement. That is why most of the videos you see are of hunting big bulls, with a few tidbits of hunting tips thrown in.

What helped me the most with his videos is he explains what the elk are saying and what to say back. So it is worth the price. There are other good ones out there, but I learned the most as a beginner from his videos.

15-Jun-15
This NOT, I repeat NOT a criticism but an observation...

What did we do before the interweb?! The resources available for newbie and veteran alike are amazing...as are 99.99999% of Bowsiters who respond to honest requests for assistance with honest advice based on their [very considerable] experience

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond and share on this, and other [elk] bowhunting posts

Good luck and good hunting

15-Jun-15
Joel Turner has a great instructional course. I went to his seminar and bought his DVD. Really good stuff IMO

15-Jun-15
Just reading some of the post on this thread gets me excited reading some of these comments. Thanks to all you veterans for the input and encouragement.

Below is another link for some calling advice.

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/interviews/danmooreelk/

15-Jun-15
Thanks for bringing it back hunt'n addict! Saves me the searching.

Never gets old listening to experienced elk killers. Thanks again Dan!

15-Jun-15
"I understand that calling takes years to master."

The sounds can be mastered within a reasonable time. What takes years is figuring out what sound to use in each set up/situation. Even those of us that have been doing it for years make mistakes.

What is hard to do is when they are silent and you are calling. How long do you stay put? Make a rule for yourself (30 min for example) and use your watch/phone to be sure you stick to it. You mind will tell you it is time to move on sooner when you are not getting any responses.

Of course then comes a swirling wind right when you got him coming in and blows the whole thing!

15-Jun-15
I would bet a good many folks have called in more elk than they think they did. But they come in silent. And they really want to come in downwind to get an idea of what they are walking into.

Blown out and you never saw em. Happens a lot.

15-Jun-15
Barty, back when I started there was no interweb or videos or articles or bowhunting magazines. We called them in with coiled gas pipe and wood flutes from the import store.

Now everybody is a "caller", which is why, as TD notes, more often than not they sneak in silently and take their sweet time in the sneaking.

28-Jun-15
Jaquomo, can you give more detail on your calling/stick-popping routine. Do you bugle and cow call along with the stick-popping? Sounds like a great way to kill a mid-day bull without having to sneak into his bedroom!

02-Jul-15
I think Jaquomo's technique could be one of the best that I have ran across on bowsite! I hope to try it.

05-Jul-15
Some real good advice on this thread....but I still see guys blowing a call every 100yds up the trails.....and guys bugling at me every 100 yds coming towards me- bad idea. Calling can bridge the gap of poor hunting skills...but not so much. Most guys overcall IMO.

Learning elk behavior is the key to knowing what calls when and then just being a good hunter.

So many guys setup and call then sit there moving around fidgiting- the elk will pick up your movements from 100yds out.

• Sitka Gear