Bigdan 12-Jun-15
soloman 12-Jun-15
MathewsMan 12-Jun-15
TD 12-Jun-15
wildwilderness 14-Jun-15
rick allison 14-Jun-15
drycreek 14-Jun-15
12-Jun-15
In response to another thread I started I now was wondering what people think about not wearing Camo Pants while September Colorado elk hunting.

Going to buy the KUIU Attack pants for my trip and was thinking I could get A LOT more use out of these expensive pants if I got the Major Brown or Phantom color.

http://store.kuiu.com/attack-pant-p/40001.htm

Does anyone have an opinion on the need to wear camo when elk hunting.

How about the Jacket? Getting the Chinook? Same question.

12-Jun-15
I think you will be fine either way. What ever makes you feel good/confident should be great. Great product too...

12-Jun-15
What matters most is how you feel when you look in the mirror:)

I know a cowboy/guide in Wyomiing that wears a white long sleeve shirt, cowboy hat, blue jeans and cowboy boots when he guides. Then there guys like me that just want to look good by being coordinated head to toe!

All Sitka, all the time! Have a great elk hunt! C

12-Jun-15
Wear what you want. It's movement that will give you away. Doesn't matter what you wear, if they catch you moving at the wrong time,...tilt, game over.

12-Jun-15
exactly what wyobullshooter said. I wear camo if I have it, I don't go out of my way to buy it either. I killed a bull in 2013 wearing a green plaid shirt, olive colored pants, and a brown hat. They will nail you no matter what you wear if you move at the wrong time. My dad killed one the same year wearing a blue plaid shirt and tan pants. The pics are posted here under the Valle Vidal thread from a few weeks ago. When I buy new stuff I try to get non camo so I can wear them more for other things.

12-Jun-15
Nothing wrong with trying to get more bang for the buck out of those pants, and realistically, you will be just as effective.

As a matter of fact, wearing solid color pants with a camo shirt helps break up the human outline...a human shaped camo blob still looks human.

Best of Luck, Jeff

12-Jun-15
Yep, what Wyobullshooter stated!

12-Jun-15
For years I hunted in a Camo T-shirt and blue jeans. When I go about town I always were my Sitka. If I didn't guys would think pore guy. I do have some nice Sitka Jackets and Vests. So I at least look the part of a hunter. In public.

12-Jun-15
Dan...You are such a "fasionista"...Not on Charlie's level, but you are getting there! :)

12-Jun-15
Last year while I was muley hunting I wore a solid color pair of pants. I was planning on doing the same this year. I really like Kuhl pants. Plus they are a fraction of what I paid for my sitka timberline pants.

12-Jun-15
I bought a KUIU rain jacket in major brown for the same reason, the occasional rainy hunt and I can also use it for ball games or any non hunting rainy day activity

12-Jun-15
I wear neutral color pants with a camp top all the time for elk....not a lick of difference to the elk.

12-Jun-15
I am done buying camo pants. As expensive as good clothing is I dont see a point in buying a pant I can only wear a few weeks a year.

12-Jun-15
Some of my nicest clothes are my camo, but I wouldn't waste them on daily street wear.

Clothes wear out the more you wear them and especially the more you wash them. While they take more abuse when you're hunting then when you're walking the street with them, wearing them on a daily basis is still wearing them out earlier.

For most clothes, that'd be no big deal, but I'm not wearing my $20 underwear, $10 socks, $200 pants, etc, when I can wear stuff that's 1/10 to 1/5 that cost. The reason I buy expensive hunting clothes is not for the camo, but for the superior quality and comfort. The camo is a bonus.

12-Jun-15
Buy the solid color. I can't even imagine how many animals were hunted and killed before the advent of Camo.

12-Jun-15
I agree that a perfectly matching camo outfit head to toe sticks out more than say, solid pants and camo top. Also agree with any medium to dark solid color rain gear. When I have really needed rain gear it didn't matter the color so long as it didn't glow.

12-Jun-15
I'm also purchasing solid colors from now on. I don't believe it makes much difference while hunting, and I can get more use out of nice clothing year round if it's green or brown.

12-Jun-15
I love my plain brown attack pants. I don't think there's a pair of pants I wear more often. I had the same thought -- if I'm going to get some, I'm going to get the non-camo and use them year-round. No regrets here.

12-Jun-15
Bought my Kuiu Attack pants in olive green and my Guide jacket in major brown. I get a lot of mileage on both garments in and out of the field. I'd say go with the solids if they have them.

12-Jun-15
Why not buy the camo and wear it everyday. :) lots of critters have been killed by people wearing earthy colors probably even more by guys wearing blue jeans. I wear camo because of it weather resistant qualities. All pants being equal choose the color of your liking. White might not work. Lol

12-Jun-15
Sitka just sent me a new jacket to replace the one that my zipper went bad in. So I wear mine every day.

12-Jun-15
"Some of my nicest clothes are my camo, but I wouldn't waste them on daily street wear."

Agreed. I will make my expensive hunting clothes last ALAP and wear my cheaper clothes throughout the rest of the year.

12-Jun-15
The elk are not going to care unless they spot your movement.

12-Jun-15
I thought you were deciding to buy hunting clothes or a new bow.... =D

I have the Attacks in phantom (?) and they are the best traveling pants you can own. Most comfortable pants I've worn on a plane. The cargo pockets are perfect for using when seated and buckled in. Fairly dressy for around town, etc. with a decent shirt few places I would feel under-dressed in. Or at least those places I'm still allowed....

They work great in the field too. When you have to fly with everything, stuff that does double duty is awesome. Used to use blue jeans but nothing more uncomfortable on the plane than blue jeans. Not worth a lick for hunting. Now I have one pair of pants I can do anything in.

Of all the camo wear I think pants may be the least important, mostly because 90% of the time around an animal I'm kneeling or crouching. That said I do normally wear camo pants hunting, I'll take every single edge I can get. For elk that edge would be a sliver though....

14-Jun-15
I haven't bought camo for a while. I do wear my Sitka and Kuiu gear around and really like the fit and material.

14-Jun-15
Critters don't don camo...and they're tough to spot, eh?

Learn from nature and match color tones to terrain. You'll be fine.

14-Jun-15
On the other hand, if you only wear camo a few days each year, it should last a long time ! Huh ?

• Sitka Gear