Mr.C 18-Jun-15
t-roy 19-Jun-15
ELKMAN 19-Jun-15
Browning Hunter 22-Jun-15
LINK 24-Jun-15
sfiremedic 25-Jun-15
LINK 26-Jun-15
13-Jun-15
With all the different kinds of folks from all different walks of life who hunt elk these days I'd really be interested to hear what kinds of rituals (if any) you have for your drive up into the elk woods? Do you have a favorite song/album that gets you going? If so, who? Do you listen to talk radio? Smoke a yearly cigar? Practice your calling skills with your windows down at stop lights ;)? Or are you the type who is all business, riding in silence going over your game plans again and again while giving all the out of starters dirty looks as you drive by?

13-Jun-15
I crank Queens "Another One Bites The Dust" at setting 35 on my truck speakers before and after the hunt. (But I have edited the CD to say arrows not bullets where appropraite)

"Another One Bites The Dust"

Oh! Let's go! Steve walks warily down the street With the brim pulled way down low. Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet, Machine guns ready to go. Are you ready, hey, are you ready for this? Are you hanging on the edge of your seat? Out of the doorway the bullets rip To the sound of the beat Another one bites the dust Another one bites the dust And another one gone, and another one gone Another one bites the dust Hey, I'm gonna get you, too Another one bites the dust How do you think I'm going to get along Without you when you're gone? You took me for everything that I had And kicked me out on my own Are you happy, are you satisfied? How long can you stand the heat? Out of the doorway the bullets rip To the sound of the beat [Chorus] Another one bites the dust Another one bites the dust Another one bites the dust Another one bites the dust There are plenty of ways that you can hurt a man And bring him to the ground You can beat him, you can cheat him You can treat him bad and leave him when he's down But I'm ready, yes, I'm ready for you I'm standing on my own two feet Out of the doorway the bullets rip Repeating to the sound of the beat [Chorus]

13-Jun-15
Taylor Swift for me.

13-Jun-15
As for me... I like all different kinds of music from all genres. But for some reason a little old school Hootie and the Blowfish always makes it's way into the cd player on my way to the elk woods. It just gets me in the mood to be in the open free country doing what I love! And yes! I'm that guy at the stop lights blowing his bugle and cow calling getting funny looks! ;)

13-Jun-15
I made sure the walleye is unthawed for the annual Labor Day Elk Camp fish fry

photo DSC03609.jpg

photo walleye1_zps323b22f1.jpg

13-Jun-15
I drive to the woods, naked below the waist, while listening to Glenn Campbells "Wichita Lineman". I keep the A/C cranked up because I have leather seats. Also, I do give the out of staters dirty looks but since I am one it only involves me sneering in the rear view mirror at myself.

13-Jun-15
"I drive to the woods, naked below the waist, while listening to Glenn Campbells "Wichita Lineman". I keep the A/C cranked up because I have leather seats. Also, I do give the out of staters dirty looks but since I am one it only involves me sneering in the rear view mirror at myself."

Lmfao! I knew this would be good! Hunt- great choice!!

13-Jun-15
That looks dam good cnelk!

13-Jun-15
+1 Taylor Swift:)

13-Jun-15
I blast Fred Bear by Ted Nugent

13-Jun-15
I just read these posts and snicker to myself............

13-Jun-15
Taylor Swift? Not with no pants on. People might think I'm wierd!

13-Jun-15
My hunting buddy of nearly 25yrs retired a couple years ago and moved back to Tennesee. All those years while we set up camp, we'd have to listen to some songs by his favorite group, Restless Heart. Guess who still listens to some Restless Heart while he sets up camp. ;-)

Brings back great memories as I get ready to make new ones.

13-Jun-15
I have a very large, eclectic mix of stuff that helps me get across 6 hours of the lifeless Nevada Desert.

After Salt Lake, at least there is scenery.

ZZ Top "La Grange" always seems to get my motor going!

13-Jun-15
I can't beat freakin' walleye fillets, but I do hit the outlaw country on the way.

13-Jun-15
We don't get pumped till The Fulldraw Film Tour comes to Denver in July! That gets us all fired up and raring to go! We just watch for elk as we we drive to our area, that and go over our lists in our minds to eliminate forgetting any gear.

13-Jun-15
Chris Ledoux's call of the wild is a must! Turned on as soon as we hit the highway! "The bugle of the bull elk echoes through the pines, the north wind moans a lonesome lullaby"

13-Jun-15
If I'm hunting with my gal I listen to rhett sing my baby looks good in camouflage. If by myself, Hank Sr or Cash!

Who will be the first to bring up manscaping?!?

13-Jun-15
"I made sure the walleye is unthawed for the annual Labor Day Elk Camp fish fry"

Wouldn't "unthawed" be the same as frozen? ;-)

14-Jun-15
"Who will be the first to bring up manscaping?!?"

Well Tobin... it seems like that would be you sir!! Lol

"Wouldn't "unthawed" be the same as frozen? ;-)"

Good point midwest!

14-Jun-15
Kind of like frozen ice!

14-Jun-15
I never bothered to fix the radio after it broke.....so I drive in silence.

14-Jun-15
'Unthawed' ha ha!

What ever it takes to deep fry up a batch o fish

16-Jun-15
Me and my hunting buddy make the long drive and pretty much tell stories back and forth about the girls we've had and their associated skills, the politics/politicians that piss us off, and the price of gas in the various states along the way and why it's always his turn to buy at the more expensive stops. LOL! As for music, well, we're both dyed in the wool old classic country and bluegrass. He blares the Haggard and I blare Mac Wiseman!

16-Jun-15
Lady Gaga gives me a little more edge than Taylor swift. Different strokes......

16-Jun-15
My buddy and I pull into camp blaring Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" (Now you're messing with a SOB)!

16-Jun-15
I am usually listening to Elknut and Jim Horn CD's to get me fired up. Practicing on my diaphragms. I also like Vince Flynn books so I will have one of those cued up in CD player.

KMAN1. That is what I am talking about! Maybe a little AC/DC (It's a Long Way to the Top [If you are chasing elk up the mtn!])

If I had to listening to Lady Gaga for any distance, there would be a self induced fiery car crash!

cnelk- Do you have a "Hot water heater"??????? (Since I live in the upper Midwest, plenty of folks around here have them!!!!) LOL!

16-Jun-15
Stevie Ray Von "Love Struck baby"- Don Hinley -Robert Cray - Zack Brown Band "chicken fried"-George Straight - Randy Newlin "Louisiana"- Wayne Toups & Keith Frank Zydeco! Delbert McClintock "baggage Claim" & Van Morrison "into the mistic" and "My Brown Eyed Girl" for the ride home!

LaGriz

"If the house is a rockin ...don't bother knocken"

16-Jun-15
I listen to Five Finger Death Punch and Avenged Sevenfold, they get me pumped!

16-Jun-15
"Choctaw Bingo" by James McMurtry (the son of Larry McMurtry author of "Lonesome Dove"). It is about 8 min long. You will be speeding within the first 3 min of the song.

You know it will be an entertaining song with an opening line like this one: "Strap them kids in, give 'em a little bit of vodka in a cherry Coke we're goin' to Oklahoma. To the family reunion for the first time in years. It's up at uncle Slaton's 'cause he's getting' on in years."

If you are from the Midwest most likely you have been to or know of the many places mentioned in the song.

17-Jun-15
Elkhunting playlists??

17-Jun-15
Let the good times roll and Feathers in the wind.

18-Jun-15

LUNG$HOT's Link
"Chris Ledoux's call of the wild is a must!"

Great song AZBUGLER

"I never bothered to fix the radio after it broke.....so I drive in silence."

I couldn't do it Medicinemann, silence and solitude is great once I'm m in the elk woods but I gotta have some tunes on the drive.

All good stuff really. And I'm pretty sure I found lou's (Jaquomo's) theme song!

18-Jun-15
That's the only way I know by Jason Aldean.

18-Jun-15

18-Jun-15
If I'm with my buddy, we talk all the way out. Getting more pumped as we go. There's usually not too much lag in the conversation. Too much to talk about.

My buddy, if he has to drive through the night, will listen to talk radio, because it makes him so mad there's no chance he'll fall asleep.

If I'm heading out by myself, I have a wide selection of music to pump me up.

I love it out west, and I have a western themed instrumental playlist, with famous tunes and themes from westerns like "The Good the Bad the Ugly", "The Cowboys", "True Grit", "Lonesome Dove", "Silverado", "Dances with Wolves", "Geronimo", etc. Pretty much anything by Ennio Marcone from the spaghetti westerns

That mellows me out and gets me in the western groove.

If I need to stay awake or wanna be mad, I listen to Metallica. "Of Wolf and Man" is always a good hunting song anyways. . . "I hunt, therefore I am, harvest the land, taking of the fallen lamb. . . "

If I feel like laughing, Rodney Carrington, Louis C.K., and Kathleen Madigan are always good. . . These are also good for my buddy and I on the drives home where we're too tired to talk too much, and about half sick of each other's company :)

I've got about 600 other songs on my iphone; of just about every genre except rap, so there's always something to listen to

18-Jun-15
the first bugle of the season

MikeC

19-Jun-15
Yanni

19-Jun-15
I'm a Katy Perry guy myself... ROOAAAR!

22-Jun-15
When I fly into Denver, the three hour drive to Steamboat includes lots of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tab Benoit and Rush. Closer to the trailhead it culminates with a little outlaw country from David Allen Coe- If That Ain't Country. Perfect starter!

24-Jun-15
In the 10 hour journey I listen to whatever the radio picks up. Lame I guess but I get pumped up about February and I don't have any trouble staying there. I keep my pants on, eyes on the road and mind in the mountains.

25-Jun-15
Pulling in to the trailhead for 2wks of chasing elk, being kept awake listening to bugles.

26-Jun-15
In the 10 hour journey I listen to whatever the radio picks up. Lame I guess but I get pumped up about February and I don't have any trouble staying there. I keep my pants on, eyes on the road and mind in the mountains.

• Sitka Gear