SteveB 13-Jun-15
vmcfadden 13-Jun-15
tobinsghost 13-Jun-15
TurkeyTed 14-Jun-15
SteveB 14-Jun-15
vmcfadden 14-Jun-15
NoWiser 15-Jun-15
13-Jun-15
was wondering about # of hunters, elk, terrain, rattlers?

13-Jun-15
Fantastic unit. You can look up how many other hunters there will be by the number of total tags. Yes rattlers but not around every corner. Terrain is mixed and depends on where you hunt but not that bad.

Hiring a guide?

13-Jun-15
Over hyped unit IMO. I've been there a few times. Hire a good guide or scout at least a couple weeks before the hunt. It can be tough for an area that is so talked up.

13-Jun-15
TT, a great unit! I learned how to hunt elk in that unit and it still offers great hunts. Do ur homework and then pm me.

14-Jun-15
steveb. let the bashing begain, I'm hunting with USO. this will be my 4th hunt with them and I am 2for 3 on elk with a 320 and a 290. the third hunt was close, lots of action, not a bad thing to say about them, I always tell myself there are 2 sides to every story. That being said I feel very lucky to have drawn 2nd archery as a nr for this unit, just wondering about elk #s and what to expect for a flatlander from Pa. I feel funny saying that as here in Pa. we call city hunters flaties. anyway thanks for the insight

14-Jun-15
You will love 16a. I haven't hunted it but have been there. I hunted right next door and had an incredible hunt although it was quite awhile ago.

Wishing you great luck!

14-Jun-15
I hunted with US years ago the first and last time I'll ever go with a guide. They seemed like they had a great base organization but they were short handed at the time and a and my buddy got a couple of rental guides. It was in 16a too. We were the only 2 in camp to kill elk and if we hadn't have found a way to separate ourselves from the guide we never would have killed neither.

15-Jun-15
I was in there last year for the second season. Plenty of elk, plenty of hunters, and no rattlers that we saw. We did talk to a couple other guys who ran into them, though.

The first spot we planned to hunt ended up having a USO camp right near it. We relocated after hearing some stories from the locals about them (no idea if they were true) and had a fun hunt.

• Sitka Gear