Contributors to this thread:
Mad_Angler 15-Jun-15
bowcrazyJRHCO 15-Jun-15
wildwilderness 15-Jun-15
Mad_Angler 15-Jun-15
Elksong 15-Jun-15
Treeline 15-Jun-15
15-Jun-15
I am the absolute beginner. I have never even seen an elk.

I was listening to Pat's interview with BigDan. BigDan said that the first thing that he would do to learn an area was ask the bowsite. So here I am...

First, I started with startmyhunt. I filled out his questionaire. It gave me the top 50 GMUs. I pared that list down to 43 or 47.

I don't expect honey holes or GPS coordinates. But I do need general advice.

First, I think we'll set up a basecamp near the truck and hike from there. Is that a reasonable option for this unit?

What is the hunting pressure like? What can I do to minimize that pressure?

What sort of fitness is required? My real hunt is Sept 2016. But I might go Sept 2015 to start to learn the ropes. I'm 49 years old and in okay shape. I hope to be in much better shape by Sept 2016.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

15-Jun-15
Mad, I still consider myself a rookie, having found some success thanks to bowsiters. Here are my suggestions-1. Buy Elk101 Elk University. 2. Buy call videos from elknut 3. startmyhunt has very good maps, buy a more detailed version of the unit you select.

Finally, get in the best shape of your life and give yourself a min of 7 days. However, if you have less than 7 days, still go.

15-Jun-15
Good optics are important. Get the best binos you can afford (I like Swaro 10x42 EL). That is how you will see your first elk.

Between 43 and 47 I would take 43.

15-Jun-15
Wild. .. why 43 over 47?

I'm not questioning. I'm trying to learn what to look for.

15-Jun-15
north end of 43 has as much hunting pressure as you will see anywhere in the state. South end not as much, but you will still have to get away from the roads, a trails, to get away from the other hunters and hikers. I have hunted very little 47, but it seems to have a lot of wilderness and places to get away. I am sure there are places there that are over run as well. Most OTC areas are going to have a bunch of other people.

Both units have very steep and rugged terrain, at least in the places you'll find most of the elk.

15-Jun-15
Get in shape. Look for the elk where the people aren't. Hunt away from the trails and you will get into more elk.

• Sitka Gear