tradi-doerr 16-Jun-15
pop-r 17-Jun-15
Jaquomo 18-Jun-15
luckyleo 24-Jun-15
hunt'n addict 25-Jun-15
elkhunter-ny 08-Jul-15
FM 09-Jul-15
15-Jun-15
Im going on a solo hunt this year.Do I need any type of camping permit in colorado ??? thanks

15-Jun-15
Im going on a solo hunt this year.Do I need any type of camping permit in colorado ??? thanks

15-Jun-15
luckyleo, only a couple of wilderness areas require a permit, but your best to call the NF office where you plan to hunt and get the info direct from them. Best of luck this year!

15-Jun-15
Some areas allow dispersed camping anywhere, other areas require permitted camping in designated campsites. Some designated campgrounds charge a fee, others are reservation only. These designations may only be a couple miles apart. What tradi-doerr said, as soon as you figure out where you plan to camp and hunt.

16-Jun-15
As stated, get your info from the horses mouth: call the service that governs the area you will be in.

Here is a good link to get you started. http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/

16-Jun-15
I would be very surprised if you needed any type of camping permit.

16-Jun-15
One of the things you'll be told is you can't be camped in the same spot longer then ten days, and when you move, you must move some distance away. And you need to be so far from water. Remember, going into the wilderness, you can't have anything motorized, and that includes bicycles or game carts. And yessir, they can nail you for having game carts in the wilderness...

16-Jun-15
I've been elk hunting in Colorado going on 20 years and haven't ever needed a camping permit. We hunt and camp in the national forest...If camping on BLM or on state land it might be different...

16-Jun-15
MT, it all depends on where you are in the NF. BLM is generally open camping anywhere. State land varies from no camping at all to designated sites, but I don't know of any state land where open dispersed camping is allowed.

In the NF down the road from where I live, one fork in the road allows open camping anywhere so long as the proper setback from water is observed. No permit. The other fork has several miles of designated campsites that must be reserved in advance for a fee.

Just past that area (which stretches for several miles)is a more organized campground with per-night fee and a pay station. A mile past that is another fork where you can camp anywhere, no fee.

16-Jun-15
Indian Peaks wilderness has a back country camping permit system, not sure if it applies to hunters. Like mentioned and others have to, contact the local ranger office where you plan to hunt/camp, NEVER go by what you hear/read on the internet, no really!! you should(n't):)

17-Jun-15
Camping permit ? to game carts in wilderness. Smh!

18-Jun-15
Game carts and mountain bikes have never been permitted in any federal wilderness areas. It's about "mechanized" stuff...

24-Jun-15
Thanks for all your help !!!!

25-Jun-15
BTW for you adventuresome types, no hang gliders in wilderness areas either.

08-Jul-15
No hang gliders? Well there goes my scouting trip.

09-Jul-15
No permit for BLM lands but you can only camp for 14 days in one spot.

• Sitka Gear