LUNG$HOT 24-Jun-15
ELKMAN 26-Jun-15
Beendare 26-Jun-15
Ben 26-Jun-15
Archerdan 26-Jun-15
DL 27-Jun-15
17-Jun-15

Start My Hunt's Link
A few years ago, I was walking back to camp across this large meadow. The sun had set about ten minutes ago and it was snowing heavily with a light fog starting to come in. As I looked across the meadow, I could make out the shape of something with large shoulders sitting on a familiar boulder in the middle of the field. It looked to be about 5 feet tall to the top of the head and shaped like a person. As I got closer, the snow and fog increased in intensity. When I looked at the figure again, I could swear it was a person sitting there on the rock. The only thing odd at this point is that it looked very dark brown in color and was just sitting there and not moving. As I got closer still, it moved a little and shrugged its shoulders. This made me stop and really take a good look. I could not figure out what this thing was and if it was a person, why is it only wearing the same dark brown color of clothes. I continued walking until I was about 200 yards away from this thing and then it moved again. At this time is when my mind started to race. Many things crossed my mind as I tried to figure out what it could be. A bear? Some really hairy person? Bigfoot? Bigfoot? Really? Come on, Mike, snap out of your delusional dream. It sure looked like one. I slowly approached the beast until I was about 100 yards away. At this time it lifted its huge arms a little. Holy crap, I thought to myself. Am I really seeing a Sasquatch? My heart was pounding and I was trying to figure out what to do. Just as I was thinking about running away, it stretched out its arms fully to its sides. The span was easily 5 feet across. Now I was really freaked out and just froze. I stood there unable to move for about 2 minutes. And then it jumped from the rock, into the air, and flew over me. It was a golden eagle.

17-Jun-15
Bigfoot with wings. Who would have thought it.

17-Jun-15
On a bowhunt I bumped into a pack train that told me 9/11 happened two days ago.

17-Jun-15
I killed an elk!

17-Jun-15
There've been lots of strange things that I've experienced, but there's one that sticks in my mind more than the others. Like Two Feathers, it relates to 9/11. Even though I was in the mountains, far from all the madness, I'll never forget the eeriness of not hearing any planes flying in the days following the attack. The silence was absolutely deafening!

17-Jun-15
I have had a few weird experiences while elk hunting.

I had a little hawk follow me in Utah. At first it was cool but...After about 1/2 hour having a small hawk following me was a pain. The bird stayed just behind me and about 10 to fifteen feet above me. As I was really starting to get annoyed and wondering what the hell it was doing I jumped a rabbit. The hawk swopped down and grabbed it. That was when I realized what my Lab must feel like. I was bird dogging for a hawk.

On another elk hunt in the Uinta mountains of Utah (wilderness area) I was on a hunt with two good friends. I had to leave the hunt and had returned to find out one had killed his elk that morning (first bull with a bow and shot at three yards). I had been into elk a lot before I had to leave. That first evening back I walked my bubbies into the area where I had been into elk. As we walked into the area one of my bubbies asked if I had really been seeing elk in that area. He was not yelling but not being overly quite. I said "Yes" also not yelling but not being overly quite. I looked up and a herd of elk walked out as I was talking. So I actually said "Yes, and there they are". I shot a 5x5 rag horn with 20 seconds of our conversation.

The final weird situation was a couple of years ago on a Wyoming elk hunt. I had been diagnosed with cancer earlier in the year and was still recovering from the surgery. This was my first hunt after my surgery. I was lagging behind my buddy and his son as we walked back to the truck. I was far enough behind that they started back up the trail. My friend had an odd feeling that something bad had happened to me. As they got about 500 yards back up the trail found a bear in the middle of the trail that had just killed something. Keep in mind that they had passed through the area bout 5 minutes before. My buddy was pretty sure that I had had a heart attack and had fallen and the bear was in the process of eating me. He carried a Glock pistol and fired into the air to "salvage my remains". The bear refused to leave it's kill. My buddy started yelling and the bear had had enough. It charged him and his son. He aimed at the bear and fired a shot right in front of the charging bear. About five feet short, the bear veered off the trail a took off. All the while I was walking along the trail wondering what the hell my buddy was yelling and shooting at. As I got close to the area I called back and he about had a heart attack himself. He was still recovering from the bear charge in the dark and was shocked to see me alive and well. It was a strange experience from my stand point but it was a considerable shock to my buddy and his son .

17-Jun-15
Took a 72 year old landowner elk hunting OTC in Colorado. He had two days, we endured two days of snow and rain with visibility of 50 yds for most of that time. We're walking out sun has set he calls his girlfriend and tells her it was fun etc. But no dice. Hangs up we walk down the road back towards the truck I check a small depression I've seen elk in before, old guy shoots his first and last bull elk. 300ish bull.

17-Jun-15

Treeline's embedded Photo
Have had a lot of weird elk hunting experiences over the years. 9/11 was really weird - Hiking out there were no cars on the highway and no planes - freaky for sure.

The one that sticks out the most was getting in a fight with a bull that I had shot twice - through the bottom of the heart both times. He about killed me...

I would strongly recommend avoiding the experience!

It is amazing how strong and fast they are. The kicks were worse than the antlers - and the antlers were really bad!

17-Jun-15

Was pretty beat up after the encounter. My legs turned totally black from my groin to my feet and I had stripes across my back and ribs from the antlers. Drove from Colorado to Arizona the next day to hunt elk down there. Couldn't get out of the truck without help when I got there. Here's what my legs looked like.

17-Jun-15

Hunted every day of the AZ elk season with two buddies that got their biggest bulls of their lives. I was having so much fun that I finally killed a bull after the sun had gone down on the very last day. It was a good elk season...

17-Jun-15
One year...... I drew a tag!

On my first elk hunt in CO I found a nice semi shaded area where I spread out my jacket and layed down for a little nap. I woke up to see a hawk wings spread headed straight for my face. Of course I flinched and the hawk landed above my head and left just as quick.

The best part of that hunt was when my friend and I saw our only elk. It was a decent 5pt that we kind of ran into. We were in some low laying brush and he was just inside a tree line. I immediately hit the ground (assuming my friend did too) and gave a few cow calls. The bull cruised toward us staying in the trees. Of course he stops at 40yds w/ a short fir tree covering his vitals. At this time I look back at my friend and he his standing in the wide open, arrow knocked, release clipped, knees bent kind of a half crouch, eyes fixed on the bull shaking like a dog shitting peach seeds... I could help but laugh to myself as the bull spooked never to be seen again. That was my first encounter of the elk kind and if it were to happen again I think I could easily manage a shot opportunity.

17-Jun-15

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Treeline- the date on your photo was a day before I shot this cow...

This hunt was odd for me. I was sitting in a treestand about 5' above my dad in a tree next to me. A herd of Elk came in and a raghorn bull. I expected dad to shoot the raghorn, when I look and a big cow is about 10 yards away under me... So I shot her, she went up the hill behind us and tumbled down almost into the pond we were hunting over. Dad did not shoot- thankfully since that canon was hell getting an elk out of it.

Cleaning and quartering her up, I had bees on my bloody hands- so being alergic, dad runs over after I was stung and used the bloody nasty knife to dig out the stinger.

The next morning, we got up about 2 hours before light to head back in- I had a E/S tag still and he had tags also- I look out at the hanging quarters in the game bags and eyes are looking back at me! IT was a bobcat or something eating on the corner of one of the bags. We played cat and mouse and finally left a radio and headed off to hunt elk.

Sitting all moring, nothing really happened- then, I tried to move my arm- It was all swollen up and red and I was going into anaphylactic shock... Nice, So we got our stands down, packed up and I had to go to the ER for Treatment. Turns out it was not the bee sting, rather the nasty knife that caused cellulitus and an infection.

Fortunately we only shot one elk in there, but it was memorable none the less...

17-Jun-15
Got cellulitus once from a motorcycle scuff-up. Pretty dangerous stuff! Bee allergies usually come on really quick.

Tried to find the electronic pictures of my back and ribs, but don't have them down here on this computer.

Another really wild one was when I had a hunter I was guiding down in NM slip when he was gutting an elk and stuck his knife into his thigh up to the hilt. That was really sickening. Hell of a trip getting him out from 4 miles into a wilderness...

17-Jun-15
Had a PM about my little tussle with that bull and figured I would give some more meat to the story...

I had drawn a really good tag in AZ that year for elk and had decided to focus on getting everything together for the AZ hunt. The day before I was set to leave, I was out watching some elk in CO and noticed a bull that was trailing behind quite a ways. I was able to get between him and the rest of the herd and got right up to him at about 20 yards in some bushy little pines.

Had a basketball-sized hole right over his vitals and let one fly. It was a really pretty shot! It looked on the mark - tight and low behind the shoulder. The bull blew out of the pines and down the hill.

I eased up to where he had been standing and saw my arrow laying just past the spot - completely covered in blood. I saw him go down in some willows just down the hill. Thought that he was already dead. Picked up the bloody arrow and started down the hill.

When I got within about 10 yards, he stood up facing away from me. He was moving really slowly and I could see blood on both sides right where his heart should be. He slowly turned to the right until he was broadside. I nocked up my bloody arrow and sent it thru him again. Actually hit the same hole right over where the heart should be!

He didn't even flinch, but kept slowly turning and dropped his head until his nose was on the ground. I thought that he must be going to tip over dead right in front of me. Boy was I wrong!

He charged!

I was able to get turned a half step so that he wouldn't gut me with his antlers and held my bow out with my left arm toward the charge. He raised his head as he got to me and tossed me into the air. My bow went flying as well and luckily, I didn't land on a broadhead!

As soon as I hit the ground, he was on me with his antlers and kicking with his front feet. Amazingly fast! I was able to get turned so that my feet were toward him and he bulldozed me up the hill kicking and raking with his antlers. He rolled me up against a fallen tree and I was able to get under it. He smacked the tree a couple of times and then started stumbling. He stumbled drunkenly down the hill back about to where he had laid down after the first shot and spraddled out with his legs locked up.

I could see my bow and a broadhead tipped arrow still in the hood of the quiver. I rolled out from under the log and slid to my bow on my side to stay out of his sight. I pulled that arrow out and shot him one more time. At that shot, he simply tipped over and died on the spot.

Not often a guy gets in a fight with a critter that outweighs him by 5 times with pointy horns and big hard kicking feet and wins!!

When I checked his heart, there were two cuts about 1" deep through the bottom muscle. Amazing how tough they can be!

17-Jun-15
a guy I had taken with my frontal shoots a bull ... bad choice, bad hit .... it took me probably an hour to blood trail the bull and I found him on a steep ridge, standing broadside to me.

one shot, perfect arrow flight, perfect hit ... bull stumbles and falls and .... poof, disappears from sight

I walk the 40 yards or so to where I shot this bull, blood everywhere from where he stood and right there, a 100' sheer bluff that the bull had fallen off of

took us another hour to wrap around and get to him

helluva deal

BTW I had called in 5 legal shooting bulls with that one IIRC ...all of them were at 20-30 yards bugling and going stupid crazy

17-Jun-15
About 7 years ago, my brother in law and I were walking out of the San Pedro Parks Wilderness area in North Central NM just after dark. This is within 30 miles of Los Alamos. Were separated in a large meadow when I got approached by cattle. They seemed skittish, and crowded around, not wanting to leave. This seemed unusual for a wilderness herd--I had to shoo them away as they were almost stepping on me, not wanting to leave as I tried to find the trail. A few minutes later, walking down the meadow to the Rio Puerco and the trail back to the vehicle I was illuminated from behind as if by a strong spotlight. I wheeled around, and no light visible. The hair was standing up on the back of my neck. This happened two or three times. I thought another hunter was playing a joke on me. When we met up at the trailhead, I told him what happened, and he had experienced the same thing. We had a good laugh, but never could explain what happened. It was like an X-Files episode, and we were a bit reluctant to go back up into that meadow the next day, even though this was one of our favorite drainages. I have spent a lot of time in wilderness areas, and have never had anything like this happen before.

17-Jun-15
Speaking of eagles ... I saw a pair of Golden Eagles attacking and killing a ewe that was left behind when the speepherders moved out of the area. They took turns swooping down and either slashing with their beaks or grabbing with their talons, hitting her in the back of the neck. Each time, the wool flew and blood flowed. The ewe just stood there like she was resigned to her fate.

17-Jun-15
I was hunting in Montana for the first time. Had my bear spray and all. One day I was setup making a call or two and watching a trail.. I was a little nervous being in grizzly country and by my shelf. I was kinda clicking my release open and closed on my knee. When all the sudden a hawk try to grab it. Scared the s%*$ out of me. He must of been in a tree near by watch me click it and he thought it was a squirrel or something.

17-Jun-15
I was hunting a water hole on private land near Montrose one year. About 10 yards to the north of me and the water there was a hog wire cross fence. A turkey hen had been running up and down the opposite side of the fence all afternoon making all kinds of racket, trying to figure out how to get to the water I suppose. After my amusment had faded, I finally decided if she came back my way she'd be supper.

Sure 'nuff she headed back my way and when she got to point blank range I drew on her and looking through my peep put my 20 yd pin on her. As I was about to release, all hell broke loose. The hen disappeared from my peep and was making all kinds of noise. After quickly letting my draw down, I looked to see what was happening. To my amazement a golden eagle had swooped down and grabbed the hen by the head and had her about 4 feet off the ground. The eagle was quickly trying to gain altitude and the hen was fighting like crazy to get free, wings flapping and feet flailing.

The hen shook loose and quickly darted under an oak, while the eagle sailed on his way empty handed. I literally started laughing out loud thinking that that turkey had no idea that the eagle just saved her life.

Another year at this same lease just after sunset we saw the space shuttle detach from the space station. Quite a site.

18-Jun-15
Back in the day... Me and 3 friends put in for the NM draw. And by gawd....we actually drew NR permits!!!

18-Jun-15
In 2004 I was hunting near Cortez Colorado and had been watching a waterhole. Early afternoon the wind changed direction, so I moved to the other side. While walking, I noticed a sharp edge sticking out of the dirt. Since I am always scanning for arrowheads and this place was full of them, my first thought was that. I reached down and pulled out a Wells Fargo Credit Card. Mind you, I am in the middle of nowhere, on a private ranch, with very limited access. I showed the landowner and he did not recognize the name on it. It had expired in 1995. When I got home, I contacted Wells Fargo and they had no record of the person or the card number. They said it was counterfeit. How did it get there? Why was it there? The only thing the landowner and I came up with was a few years earlier, a couple of guys had robbed a bank in Cortez and had a big shoot out with police, I think killing one, and then fled into the canyons around Cortez. One was found dead a few years later in those same canyons. Maybe they dropped it while passing through? I guess we'll never know. It was interesting to speculate where it came from.

18-Jun-15

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
When I killed this Bull it was in the afternoon, and we ended up doing most of the packing in the dark. Another Bull (his buddy I guess)followed us all the way back to camp soft bugling every now and then, and then stayed about 50 yards from camp till the wee hours of the morning. He would just let out a soft little bugle every now and then. Very strange, and I must admit a little emotional...

18-Jun-15
I was sitting on a high ridge in Colorado, glassing the drainage below. I had been in the back country miles from the nearest road for nearly a week. As I was glassing the far away bottom, along a small creek, my eye caught movement. It was a creature. Large and bulbous with areas of patchy hair. It appeared to be playing in the water before it exited and walked along the creek bank upright. I focued my binoculars. A naked dude?

I imagine someone has had this very experience when they glassed me up while I was taking my backcountry bath on my elk trips. Haha

18-Jun-15
Watching a cow elk lick my buddy's fletchings was pretty weird... When she was done, she head butted him in the shoulder and walked on...

18-Jun-15
My old archery club used to take a trip to CO for some otc huntin. About 20yrs ago while on their annual trip it got cold. Two guys and probably what most would call the corner stone people of the club... one was the best shooter and the other was the only recurve shooter.. anyways they decided to turn on their propane heater in their tent. A storm rolled in that iced over their tent.. the heater burned up the oxygen.. and I think you know the rest.

RIP Jerry and Griz.

18-Jun-15
My sorry is not nearly as gripping as a hand-to-fight with an elk or X-files type encounter. But here goes.

While packing in on horseback in Idaho's "Frank Church Wilderness" We were following a stream-side trail with a steep vertical wall on our right and a 200' shear drop on our left. As we approached a switch-back in the trail the horses became tense and we had a weird feeling of something not being quite right. In the bottom of the creek was the skeleton of a dead horse high and dry on a gravel bar. Obviously the horse had died from a fall from the narrow trail some time ago and his bones were bleached white. The horses all reacted as if we were in a "sacred burial ground" and they knew the victim! It was church quite and spooky as we passed the seen of deadly wreck. Later my brother and I commented that we expected to hear the theme music for the "twilight Zone" at any minute!

LaGriz

18-Jun-15
In 2011, my buddy and I were in WYO.

Midday storm rolls in so we get off the ridge and take up shelter under a pine tree. It looks like it is going to be a while so I decide to take a nap (With my back to the trunk)

I awoke in somewhat of dream state and foggy. My buddy is laughing out loud. (Not internet LOL!). Apparently a squirrel wanted to climb the tree I was leaned up against. The squirrel scurried across the ground and bounced off of my chest as he ascended the tree. (I remember the feeling of someone hitting me in the chest)

Camo Space Rain fools squirrels. (Maybe it was the lack of movement!)

18-Jun-15
I took a midday nap on a four wheeler last year in grand junction to be awakened by"something" making a lil noise close by , well after hearing that noise getting closer for a few minutes without opening eyes to actually look to see what it was. Once I got a lil curious I lifted myself off the bike and looked to find a full grown mt lion in a crunched position 15 yds from me... I think we both crapped on ourselves at same time!

18-Jun-15
My story is more of an "oh sheet moment." My buddy and I were working up a drainage in SW Colorado. We got to a point where the drainage Y'd and decided to split and meet up later. As I started up my side and working through some thick pines I hear a twig snap and movement coming down. Assuming it's an elk I quickly nock and arrow and go to full draw. For a brief moment I see a flash of brown through the tree in front of me which excites me more. Around the tree steps a little black bear. Maybe 60-70lbs. He's walking along minding his business, no clue I'm on the trail ahead of him.

Here's where I made my mistake. Figuring he'd see the movement and high-tail it out of there, I decide to let down. Sure enough, his head shoots up and sees me. He turns and bolts away about 15yds, then stops and stands up on his hind legs and gives me a hiss, then charges on a dead sprint right for me. I'm now defenseless, and all I could do was hold my bow over my head and start yelling expletives and the top of my lungs. He eventually stops at about 10ft and gives me the arched back like he's ready to fight. At this point I'm measuring him up thinking we're about to get it on. Still screaming every curse word I could think of, he slowly works his way around me, gets back on the trail and moves off.

A few minutes have passed, and I haven't moved an inch. I hear movement coming up behind me and it's my buddy. We'd been separated a good 15-20 minutes, but he said he could hear the expletives flying clear over in his drainage and figured I was in some kind of trouble. He came a running. Of course he couldn't stop laughing once he heard the story, then he asked if there was a mother bear with him? Oh $hit... Hadn't thought of that! Good thing there wasn't.

Ballsiest little bear I ever came across!

18-Jun-15
1. I saw the same poacher being arrested twice 5 years and two hundred miles apart.

2. One of my hunting partners had a guy shoot his montana decoy after he drove up on an ATV in a walk in area only.

18-Jun-15
I have posted this before, so this is a re-post and it happen during a rifle hunting.

I was hunting a ridge and right before dark a small heard of elk showed themselves. I setup and took a shot at a cow, at the shot I heard the report of the bullet impact but by the time that I had recovered from the recoil of the rifle I had lost sight of which cow I had shot at. Not knowing which cow I had shot at and knowing it was going to be very cold I decided to back out and come back in the morning to get my elk. I figured she would bed down and die very close to where I had shot her. The next morning my son and I were in to the valley at first light. My hunting partners worked up to the top of the ridges in the dark hoping they may get a chance at the bull that was with the herd. As soon as we topped over the ridge we could hear a bunch of coyotes making a ruckus. I thought for sure the coyotes where on my elk. We worked are way to where the elk had been the night before. We did not find her or any blood, but we did find fresh elk tracks heading down to where the coyotes making all the noise. We decided to follow the tracks to see if I could recover anything. I was working slowly down this small ridge finger when I heard the growl yelp and then out of the corner of my eye I see this flash. It took only a fraction of second to realize that the flash I had seen was a mountain lion running up the ridge line of a small ridge finger; in my direction. Then I noticed the cat was not alone. From what I could see there where 20 or so coyotes on the cats’ tail. I say what I could see as my hunting partners could see the whole thing unfold said they saw way more than 20. About 20 or so yards in front of me on the top to ridge finger that I was on the mountain lion climbed a pretty good size juniper tree. At this time a smart man would have pull the camera from his backpack and start taken picture. I’m not a smart man. With my gun at my shoulder I yell at the dogs and cat to get out of here. When I yelled all the coyotes stop yapping at the cat and focused on my son and I. At that time my sons says hey that big coyotes walking this way. Will my son did not get the full sentence out as I had saw the same thing. Let’s just say that, that big coyote is no longer chasing mountain lions. At my shot the rest of the coyotes took off in all direction. The lion remained in the tree still. At this point I yelled up to one of my partners asking if they had just seen what had happen. My partner answered that they had seen the whole thing and he had the cat in his cross-hairs. At this time I told my son who was standing behind me to throw rocks at the tree. After a couple of rocks the lion jumped down and ran out of the valley. I am so glad that my partners had witness this as I don’t think they would have ever believed the story. Later that week when ran into a local outfitter that was high on the ridge and had witness the whole thing through his spotting scope. I never did recover that elk.

18-Jun-15
15 0r 20 years ago, 3 buddies and I were bowhunting elk in the Flattop Wilderness of the White River NF in Colorado from a drop camp about 10 miles in at 10,400 feet. One day, chasing a bugling bull with cows, I ended up in the middle of the largest, thickest, gnarliest, worst God forsaken area of blowdowns I've ever seen at about 11,500 feet. I didn't know if I'd ever get out and began to wonder just what in heck I would do if I actually killed an elk there! I started following a contouring elk trail, which made the going a little easier when I came across a number of bleached white bones. Upon closer inspection, I realized they were elk bones and the neck vertebrae had been sawed through! Someone had killed a bull elk in the middle of this hellhole - who knows how long ago - years - maybe decades! As I'm contemplating the task he must have faced trying to get his bull out of there, I spied a large open Case XX lockback knife lying on a log. The side of the handle facing up was totally weathered out. The blade was still sharp!!! I would love to know the story behind it! I still carry that knife today on every elk hunt I go on!

19-Jun-15
Guys, ALL these stories make for great reading, but Treeline is my new hero ! Damn, buddy, that was an ordeal !

19-Jun-15
These are fantastic, keep em' coming!

19-Jun-15
X2 drycreek!!

I'd say treeline wins this contest hands down! That is some wild $h!t... Well done on keeping it together brother. Glad your ok. Both my legs would have been bruised and poopy. ;)

19-Jun-15
Back in the early 80's I was hunting near Doloris Colorado and on opening morning I climbed to timberline and arrived before daylight. When I could just begin to see at all I noticed another hunter below me and about a mile away. He was hardly visible as it was still near dark. Long prior to shooting hours. He raised his rifle and fired a shot into a small brushy area. Walked over and brought out an elk. It was already quartered, bagged and ready to pack. Took me a while to figure out what had happened.

19-Jun-15
Sounds like someone was a bit early on the opener...

There is a place in Colorado that when I go there my compass goes haywire and I had one actually become demagnetized when passing through there. Don't know what is buried there, but it does it every time I have been there...I avoid that area when I hunt that unit.

Found a squirrel gut pile once on the forest floor that looked like it had been laid out for a biology class. Everything was very neatly arranged, but I think the liver was missing...

19-Jun-15
That was probably a pine martin or a weasel that gutted your squirrel. Have seen that several times - pretty weird.

There may be a deposit of magnetite in that area where your compass goes haywire.

19-Jun-15
I love these threads!

Similar story to MT in MO. There's an area where we hunt in NW CO that we affectionately call the canyon o' death. The first year there my buddy shot a bull late in the day that made a beeline down the steep slope into the COD. We waited a couple of hours and then tracked him until dark and decided to come back in the morning. This was our first year in the area, and we were in very unfamiliar country, so we all took bearings, confirmed them and figured we were about 2 hours from camp. About an hour into it, we're confronted with a pretty significant rockslide, and we check compasses to navigate around, and all four gave different readings. Our best bet was to stay on that elevation line, cross slopes of boulders the size of volkswagons, and keep going. We made it back to camp about 3 hours later.

After several years, we have developed an elaborate system of waypoints to navigate out, and yet every year, one of us gets sucked down into the abyss after dark. I'm just thankful COD has always given up its quarry, minus the elk we never found.

19-Jun-15
Treeline, that makes sense about the pine martin. Saw one not very far away from that gut pile. I was sitting on a log and he came running right up to me and had I not moved he would have run right over me. I think that may have hurt a bit after getting a look at his feet...8^)

There's a rock called magnetite? Learn something new every day...

19-Jun-15
Magnetite is also called lodestone. Its a iron ore deposit that got charged with a massive amount of electricity like a lighting strike.

19-Jun-15
I was up in Northern WI, camped with my wife and kids. It was a crystal clear night and my oldest was about five. We were kicking back by the fire, looking at stars. I had the five year old sitting on my lap, leaning back against my chest, head next to my chin so that I could point out constellations, stars, satellites and planes.

I pointed out a quick moving satellite and we noticed that it appeared to be getting brighter and bigger. It kept growing brighter and bigger until there was a flash of light that lit up the meadow we were in as though it were midday.

Then it was dark again and the satellite was just a pinprick of light moving along.

We experienced a satellite flare. The panels on a satellite will act as a mirror and reflect the sun down onto the Earth like a giant flashlight sweeping across the planet.

So, I wasn't elk hunting. It wasn't that weird. But I thought it was a cool experience and I doubt that I'll ever experience it again. It sticks out in both in my oldest's memories and mine.

19-Jun-15
Several of my friends and I hunt an area in SW Colorado where GPSs go crazy. In one certain area if you are following a GOTO to camp, the track line will reverse course. If you continue the way you are going for about 1/4 mile it will turn back right. Your track will look like a ___\--- .

19-Jun-15
Orion's story reminds me of another weird thing that happened while my son and I were out in Kansas on a late whitetail hunt after the rifle season in December. We had snuck up on some deer using tall weeds for cover in open country. We sat up on a fence line hoping they would come within range.

As the sun was going down and it was getting dark, we saw a bright light to our east and coming towards us very fast. I thought it might be a jet or something, but it got brighter and brighter as it came towards us. Looked like it was coming right at us. Lit up the area like it was broad daylight! It continued down until it hit the ground about 2 1/2 miles away. When it hit, there was a glow coming up from the ground and it actually started some trees on fire.

Guess it was a meteorite.

19-Jun-15
My weird moments all involve sheep dogs in Colorado.

I walked up on a Great Pyrenees once in the dark. It was bedded down on the out skirts of a sheep herd. I didn't know either were there. I was walking up the game trail in the dark, humping to get to a meadow I had found two days earlier. It contained no sheep then. But, lots of elk. I was within 5-6 feet of the dog before it noticed me I assume. I didn't notice it until it lunged for me. I will never forget the deep guttural growl milliseconds before the dog lunged out of it's bed. I guess that was more scary than weird but, the way that dog shined in the moon light standing there growing as I screamed at it sure looked menacing and, made me wander how I didn't see it before then. I have never seen a wolf in the wild but, this animal was a good contender best I can assume.

As I stood there talking to the dog trying to get it to calm down and quit growling and coming a step closer for every backward step I took, I will never forget how that dog shined in the moonlight. It was tense 10-15 second. Finally it just wagged it's tail a bit and turned around and walked off back up the trail. I watched it go and set down watching me. Than it just laid back down and disappeared in the low spot I awoke it from. I decided not to press my luck and went back down instead of trying to get it to move off the trail to let me by. :^)

The first ever sheep dog incident happened about 6 miles from the above dog encounter. Except this was my first ever elk hunt and, my first time in Colorado. Got to our predetermined area about 2 am, set up a quick camp, looked at topo's to determine the areas we would start and, hit the sack for an hour or so to get my shut eye. I figured no need to get way in before light not knowing where we were going.

Took my time climbing the trail that morning. Got about a mile in and 600 feet higher at a steady but, controlled clip up the trial. Understand, I had Never made a bugle in the elk woods. I awaited daylight, listening, anticipating, excited as heck. As it lightened enough to see 40-50 yards, I couldn't hold out any longer. I got my tube and blew the best bugle I was capable of doing and waited for a minute or so just listening. No response. I did it again with a few chuckles at the end and bingo!

Brush starts cracking!! Branches breaking!!!! It is getting closer!!! At a very fast pace! I get an arrow nocked and prepare to draw as whatever it is is coming hard and fast right to me!!! Out of the brush bust a pack of freakin' Great Pyrenees looking for that elk. Had to be 5-6 of them. They were on the hunt.

I spoke up and waved my arms and and about half tucked tail and ran. Three of them just set down watching me. They followed me for the better part of the morning, just shadowing me. Bugling afterward brought no excited reaction. They'd stop when I did and set if I stood long enough. But, would follow suit as I'd start hiking again. They'd wag their tails when I approach them and talked gentle to them but, would never let me touch them. Cool but, weird not knowing their intent. I never will know what they were doing out there. It wasn't deep in but, in my 3 to 4 mile circle I never came upon the herd of sheep they were guarding.

Same day as when the dogs followed me but, later in the day. Getting near sunset, I started off the mountain. I had to lose about 3500 feet before hitting the forest service road. I had come a long way off, bugling as I came. At one stop well into this routine, I bugled my best and heard brush breaking, indicating something headed my way. I was frantically getting ready nocking an arrow and such when the dog behavior from earlier reminded me it was probably not an elk. This eased my tension which led to me half halfheartedly getting ready when up over the crest of this little bench came a very respectable 4 by 5 bull.

I froze. He kept coming and got up within about 12-13 yards when he spotted me. It was decently thick so, I just froze as he starred at me. His nostrils flared trying to get my scent during the 20 second or so stare down. He finally swapped ends and bolted when my diaphragm mouth call bugle froze him up. It was like he lost me in he brush and finally started to my right parallel to my position. I ended up nailing him at 28 yards.

So, on the first day of my first ever elk hunt, in an OTC unit on Public land, I had made friends with a pack of dogs that followed me for a long hike and, called in and shot my first elk. From weird to surreal. I'll take it. God Bless

19-Jun-15
Holy cow, Treeline! That's a much cooler story. I've seen a few long streak meteors, but nothing like that or the Russian one.

If it landed on public ground and you think you could find the spot, you should take a walk and see if you can stumble across any pieces. A metal detector could help.

My middle one is really into geology. We have a few small meteorites. We have to collect some unique piece on any trip and take trips to seek out specific rocks or fossils of interest.

Sorry for rolling off on a tangent.

20-Jun-15
WV Mountaineer- that definitely makes for a memorable first hunt! I had a similar experience with a great Pyrenees in Utah with my Dad. It was last day of muzzy season (early October) and we were driving along when a dog stepped out in the road and sat down right in front of the truck. He looked friendly so I stepped out to greet him and he displayed the same type behavior. He would come close and sniff and wag his tail but wouldn't let me touch him. That dog followed our truck for miles before finally turning around and heading back to where he came from. Kinda strange.

20-Jun-15

Start My Hunt's Link
To everyone above, really good stories. That is why I started this thread. I wanted to hear some of the interesting things that can happen in our pursuit of elk.

Now for another---

I was out hunting in an area that I was very familiar with and it started to snow with a heavy fog starting to move in. I had been chasing a herd of elk the entire morning, but all I could ever find were their prints in the quickly deepening snow. My mind was glued to their trail, and I was not paying attention to where I was located. I was pretty sure that I was about two miles away from our camp.

After following the tracks for most of the afternoon and kicking the herd up a few times in front of me, I looked around and had no idea where I was in an area that I have hunted for close to 35 years. With the snow starting to intensify and the fog making it hard to see more than 30 yards, I took out my compass to try to get some bearings. Guess what? It was frozen solid from a spill I took in a creek the day earlier.

Then, the snow really started to come down and the fog got even thicker. If I was lucky, I could see about for maybe 50 feet in front of me. I started to get a little bit worried because nothing looked familiar in this place that I had grown up hunting. It felt like someone had dropped me off into the woods, put a blindfold on me that only allowed you to see a certain distance, and said good luck.

It was at his time I decided to break off of the tracks and try to figure out where the hell I was. I decided to walk to my left for some reason and ended up walking through an aspen stand where all the trees were maybe 5-6 feet tall and very dense. I could barely see over the top of the stand.

Now I was getting nervous, because it was starting to get dark and I had no idea where I was or what direction I should be heading. As I was fighting my way through the aspen, I suddenly smelled something familiar--a campfire. As I came out of the aspen stand and saw a road, and then a camp, I was relieved. As luck would have it, it was our camp, and the herd that I had been chasing all day ran by about 100 yards away through the fog and the snow. Nobody in camp heard or saw them.

Elk are ghosts.

20-Jun-15
My buddy and I were hunting a long shelf on the side of a mountain in co. Walking the trail that ran the length of the shelf my buddy decided to hunt the first park we came to. I continued down the trail and and found another place about a mile further down. Later in the day I slowly made my way back toward my buddy when just before I got to his park I see something come down off a hill and get on the trail I was on and walk the same direction I was toward the park. I glass it at about 80 yds away and it was a moose slowly loping his way into the park. He gets well out into the park and I make it about to the edge when he gets my wind and stops, looks back at me and turns to trot in the direction he was headed, away thankfully. He stays on the trail past the park and out of site. I make my way across the park to where I left my buddy at daylight and he says HEY! I can't wait to see what he has to say and I say hey see anything? He says I just saw a damn moose! I say come come on man, I know it's slow but a moose? I played it for a while. He was beside himself.

20-Jun-15
Opening day of the season 2001. I got out of the truck with a spot in mind where I would sit after a couple mile hike to call. As soon as I got there I pulled out my bugle but before I could even put it to my lips I saw elk only 100 yards below me. I picked out a tree and told myself that's 20 yards so if an elk stands there I'm shooting it. Next thing I know they moved my way, a bull stood right in front of the tree feeding and I shot it. It ran 20 feet and dropped over dead in sight.

I punched my tag in 1 hour on day one. Is that the weirdest thing that could happen to an elk hunter or what!!!!!!!

20-Jun-15
"Is that the weirdest thing that could happen to an elk hunter or what!!!!!!!"

Yeah. It's always last day in the last hour of the hunt for me. Lol

20-Jun-15
I was scouting for big bulls and knew of a spot with no road access in a very out of the way area that I was sure held a big bull. I had gone in with a bugle one night and called from the perimeter. Thought I heard a single grunt but I couldn't be sure. Was this a wise old bull or had I convinced himself that it was a bull sound I had heard?

The next night I decided to go in deep in complete darkness and not make a sound, instead I would listen.

I went in around 10 PM, navigating around cedars and junipers in the dark. I just wanted to rely on my hunter instinct so I wasn't thinking a specific plan where to go. After a half hour, I could make out a small clearing before me. I sat down on a log and waited. And waited. Not a sound. Well, this is a waster of time! I figured. Why the heck did I leave my bugle back at the truck?! So much for my hunters instinct!

Before leaving, I decided to turn on my million lumen (or whatever) flashlight.

Click. And there clearly illuminated 40 yds. in front of me broadside was one of the biggest bulls I have ever seen. Probably a 400 class bull. He stared back at me and then slowly walked behind some trees and disappeared from view. Never made a sound although I went back and tried to entice him with bugles and cow calls.

I never saw him again although I hunted the area several times subsequently.

20-Jun-15
Not really weird but...in 2011 I'm taking a noon siesta on the shore of an alpine lake at about 8000' in Montanas' Big Belt mountains. I'd been in about five days and had five more days to go with no cell service or contact with the outside. Anyway, half snoozing on the side of the lake and all of a sudden a tremendous roar brings me wide awake. I open my eyes to see (and feel)two fighter jets buzzing the top of the mountain just across the lake. So close I could see the pilot in the nearest jet. After that I started thinking about all the people who were in the mountains on 9/11/2001 and how they had no idea what was going on outside. I realized then that it was 09/11/2011 and I had no idea what was going on outside the mountains either. I had a lot apprehension for the rest of that trip!

20-Jun-15
I was hunting a tripod stand on the edge of an opening on the same property I mentioned above. Just to the west of me was a drainage coming off Horsefly Peak. I happened to look up the drainage and spotted a black dot several hundred yards away moving quickly in my direction. As it neared I could tell it was a big bruin running down the drainage at breakneck speed (I once remember someone telling me bears can't run down hill. Let me tell you that's BS!) Anyway he was headed straight toward a cross fence that ran across the drainage about 50 yards from me. Without breaking stride he never slowed down, leapt over the fence, did a forward flip in midair, landed on his feet and was on his way. I wondered what kind of hoe-down he was headed to.

20-Jun-15
Toss up for me on a Bigfoot encounter in Colorado and ufo and aliens on the mountain in New Mexico. Why is it the space aliens are always near or in New Mexico.

20-Jun-15
I think I was a 4th grader, and it was the first year my dad let him walk the elk woods with him. we were in the bighorn mountains of Wyoming. the last morning before I had to go home (mom and dad let me skip a couple days of school) was quite cold. it had snowed a few inches and there was some wind. not real bad but I didn't have the best gear. we were hunting with a family friend that morning and him and dad both had tags.

got to our spot for the morning and started walking. I remember my feet were freezing and I was miserable, but we heard a bugle and that pepped me up. we snuck in and came to a park we know pretty well. there as a decent herd in the middle of it, maybe 15-20 cows, a couple spikes, and a smallish 6 point herd bull. he bugled a couple more times. we ended up trying to sneak up on the elk through the trees, and I remember popping out once and seeing a cow (the two adults could see much more but I was in back), and another time we popped out and a spike. finally we were far enough that they figured a shot was about to happen and we slowly snuck out to the opening. even with three of us, the snow made it fairly quiet, and now that we were off the top where we parked the breeze had sure settled. anyway, we snuck out but the elk were gone.

that's pretty common actually, but heres where it gets weird.

since the two experienced adults figured the elk had just fed in, we went out to look for tracks in the fresh snow and follow em. and that was the problem. there were no tracks in the park. anywhere. just virgin snow. we walked all around and looked for where they went in. same thing. now, it was snowing lightly, and there was a gentle breeze, but our tracks were plainly visable everywhere. there hadn't been anything in that damn park. I was pretty freaked out and I remember dad and our buddy acting really weird. we ended up splitting up and hunting the rest of the morning with no more action to report.

this event really bugged me, but honestly when your a kid lots of things bug you. the boogie man is very real! however, many years later I remember we were talking elk hunting at a family function and I brought that day up, and dad shut me up right away. apparently it freaked him and our family friend out pretty bad, as there was simply no explaination, and they didn't want to talk about it. dad and I have since as im 40 now and it was long ago (the family friend isn't close with dad anymore). no explanation.

elk leave tracks. these didn't. we all saw and heard em. it certainly wasn't snowing and blowing enough to cover a herd of elk tracks, as it wasn't doing a dang thing to our own tracks.

I do think that event did set the tone for me on how mystical elk hunting can be, and while I haven't really had many more encounters like that (one pretty close), theres nothing id rather do.

20-Jun-15
Some great stories. Again, not elk hunting, but on our way to elk hunting....

I was traveling with my buddy. He's a much better looking guy than me. I was really pumped up for the trip and enjoying the ride, anticipating the hunt and having fun.

Each time I went in to pay for gas or get some coffee, I told the clerk, "My buddy's kind of shy, but finds you attractive. He doesn't want to be too forward though. If you might like him to give you a call, just slip him your number. If not, we'll just be on our way and won't bother you on the way back."

Not a single one of those guys gave my buddy his phone number. But my buddy kept telling me that he didn't think they get a lot of black guys traveling through.

Kinda weird.

20-Jun-15
That was Funny!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta remember that one!

21-Jun-15
I was chuckling the whole drive Justin.

21-Jun-15
Not bow hunting but my wife and I were elk hunting in British Columbia. I had bought her some hand loaded 175 gr. nosler partitions for her 7 mm mag. And we got on a bull about 250 yds across a canyon and she got set up on a good 6x6 and squeezed the trigger and the shell was a dud. She ejected it and got another shell in the chamber. By this time she was getting a little excited and when she shot the bull hunched up and started walking in circles. She shot again and the bull went down. When we got over there the first shot had hit the bull right thru the testicles. Marty, our guide looked at me and said " I'd be careful around her".

Same trip, after I shot mine it was getting dark and starting to snow I got it gutted and went back across the canyon to meet up with my wife and Marty who were spotting for me it was almost dark and starting to snow so we decided to come back in the morning. We were on horses heading into the blowing snow and I glanced to the left and saw a big doe grizzly with a cub standing upright with 1 paw on the sows back end about 30 yds away. I hollowed ahead to warn my wife and Marty. We all stopped to look at them. We didn't know what to do but as I remember we were all trying to slide our rifles out of the scabord they turned and run. It was a beautiful sight to see but I'm glad it turned out that way.

22-Jun-15
Lungshot how about this one: Not me but a guy I know drove to a high trailhead and parked. got out and after grabbing his gear slammed the tailgate... and got a bugle in response. So he cow called and a bugle erupted only half as far away as the first one. Within 2 minutes he shot a freakin 7 by 7 standing next to his truck!

Earlier that year he drew a bighorn ram tag in Montana's 270 unit and killed a nice full curl sheep.

Is that some weird stuff or WHAT!

But as far as that first hour kill for me. Bittersweet really. I love last day kills.

22-Jun-15
Yea, shooting a bull in the first hour of hunting would be a bit of a let down. If I had 3 months, it might still be a bit short:)

Couple of years ago, I finally killed a wild sheep - took me 3 tags and about 50 days to finally close the deal. Loved every brutal minute of every hunt.

22-Jun-15
I was hunting in NW Colorado about 4 years ago. I had an archery deer tag, but was helping the archery elk hunter I had met, as he needed help calling as the cover wasn't the greatest. The elk were bedded in some cottonwood trees to the north, we were set up on the edge of an ag field. Directly between us and the bedded elk was a decent sized river for colorado with steep cut banks. You could see the elk trails cut into the cut banks to get to the water. We knew they were using the ag field to feed at night as we had watched them for a few days.

Sure enough with an hour left of light, we heard the cow calls and here they came. Probably 30 cows and calves, one small bull and really nice 340ish herd bull. The milled around getting ready to use the game trails to enter the river and cross it to the ag field where we were waiting. Right as the lead cow was about to step down the game trail, the giant bull bolted from the back of the herd and hooked her with his antlers and shoved her and the other cows about 50 yards to the east still along the river bank. This area had no trails cut into it and the cut banks were steep! The bull nudged the cow, and basically pushed her over the cut bank and into the river. Keep in mind this is happening 75 yards and in clear view of us both. Once the cow got to the middle of the river on a shallow sandy spot, she shook like a black lab and let out one of the most high pitched, yet perfect bugles I have ever heard. I physically watched her mouth open and bugle, complete with a very soft chuckle. It was bizarre, but it didn't end there.

The entire herd, waited at the cut bank until the lead cow made it across to the ag field and began eating. At that time, the rest of the herd begin jumping into the water at the same time like a bunch of people doing the polar plunge or something it was chaos, with splashing, running, kicking, mewing etc. At last the bull decided it was safe and it was his turn. As he went to jump off the cut bank, it was like he hesitated like me at the diving board when I was 6. The hesitation caused him to go into the water head first, he hit the water directly on his antlers and it flipped him over completely forward like a forward somersault of sorts. He thrashed to get to his feet, and sprinted full speed across the remaining river and into the center of the ag field at full speed, and went from 75 yards, to 250 yards in a matter of seconds.

That night the hunt was over, but we couldn't stop talking about the crazy things we witnessed that night.

I love hunting, but I really love archery hunting. Being so close and intimate with the animals and getting to see things like this that 90% of the world will never get to see. Pretty cool stuff, sorry for being long winded.

23-Jun-15
Elk hunting in the NF around Durango one year we were bushwhacking through dry noisy forest. It was pitch black and when we stopped we kept hearing a couple steps in the leaves behind us- but then they would stop. We would walk a little and stop- same thing.

My buddy thinks its got to be another hunter following us to see where we are hunting but with our old anemic mini maglights we can just make out its a bear. After about 1/2 hr of this cat and mouse a mangy brown phase black bear walks right up to us. Bears always look bigger than they actually are and in reality this one was probably 80#. My buddy has a pistol but we don't want to shoot it as its still a hour before light and we don't want to spook the elk.

We keep trying to shoo it away but the bear would walk right up behind us close enough to touch. "Thats it," my buddy says he is going to shoot it. I turned and gave a swift kick right to that bears snout....he just kind of stood there....and then slowly wandered off.

23-Jun-15
I'm sure some of you have heard this story so I'll make it the shortest version.

Weirdest elk hunting experience I ever had.

Solo hunting Colorado one evening I was calling back a herd I had busted with a nice bull in it. I closed in, got on my knees and decided to use a lost calf call to get the closest cows to come back since there were calves around. After a few calls I looked over my shoulder and had this bear charging at me. I shot him in all 7 times with 6 arrows... picking up and re-using a pass thru arrow while dancing around into the black timber. I had to keep trees between him and I until he died at my feet where he took his last breathes.

I've always called my bear tag just my insurance policy.. that day it came in handy after 12 years of bear tag soup. I now carry a side arm.

23-Jun-15

Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Well-Strung's embedded Photo

23-Jun-15
Awesome, Well-Strung! Big Bear!

I have had over 20 bear tags in CO and have yet to see one when and where I can hunt them - even when using your technique! Have gotten bears in New Mexico, Alaska and Saskatchewan but never in CO. Hopefully, I will get lucky this year and finally tag one in CO.

23-Jun-15
Two years in a row I almost got run over by a bull (both in rifle season).

2013 - My buddy and I were sitting on a steep hillside above a small bench. We sat until 10:00, then I went over to him and we decided to head down the hill since we had heard several bulls bugling down below. While he was packing up I headed down to the bench where the sun was hitting, to warm up. As I was standing there I could hear him packing up above and to my right (I was facing away from him). All of a sudden I realized I was hearing noise above and to the left. I looked up and silhouetted on the hill was the biggest bull I'd ever seen while hunting, just 40 yards away. He sprinted down the hill right at me and I had to dive behind an aspen tree. When I did that, he stopped and looked at me from 10 feet, very confused. He headed off to my right, and I was fortunate enough to get a shot off when he was at about 75 yards. 280-ish 6x6 that is now on the wall!

2014 - It was very warm out, and at noon I decided to lay back and close my eyes for a couple minutes. I was on an open hillside watching a nice drainage full of aspens and pines. Hadn't seen anything all morning. I had just laid back when I thought I heard hooves but disregarded it as my mind playing tricks on me. A couple seconds later the sound was back and getting louder, very quickly. I grabbed my gun, spun around, and a decent 5x5 was sprinting straight down the hill at me. He hit the brakes, spun around and ran the other direction. Unfortunately for me, this bull was quicker then the previous one and I never got a shot. His prints were 11 yards from me, and I swear if I'd been asleep he would have stepped on me. That will wake you up in a hurry!

If this happens again I will have to figure out which one of my buddies is spraying cow in heat scent on my pack! :)

23-Jun-15
Great stories guys, great thread.

Mule- Yeah that's dumb luck for sure. I've definitely been into elk and deer on the first day but never sealed the deal til later.

Well strung- hell of a story. I'm sure that day won't soon be forgotten.

23-Jun-15
Orionsbrother. . . that is just mean!!! :) :) :)

I'll have to remember that one :)

23-Jun-15
Well-strung - Nice bear! My wife heard me saying, "Holy crap!" while grabbing a sandwich. She looked over my shoulder and freaked out. For a Northwoods girl, you'd think she'd be used to bears.

Bake - I was smiling and chuckling to myself the whole way out and trying to hit the same stops on the way back.

23-Jun-15
With 40 years of chasing elk some weird things have happened . Here is two of them.. I was backpacked in a colo wildeness by myself. I heard a helo close by and stuck my head out of the tent. It had a big light on the underside and was circling about 200 yds from me. I assumed it was looking for me so I turned on a flashlight and stood in a small clearing. It came and hovered over me maybe 50 yds high for 15 seconds then slowly flew over the small meadow below as thou it was looking for a place to land. Then it went straight up a couple hundred feet and took off...I assumed there must be big trouble at home..I took the flashlight and thats about all and took off at a jog straight down a draw, to a private ranchouse I could see from nearby peak that appeared to be only two or three miles away, rather than the 8 miles thru the national forest as I had hiked in. When I arrived at about 1 am, the rancher (who lived behind two locked gates) answered the door with a very mean sounding "who is it" and opened with door with a rifle in his hand.I explained what had happened and he had seen the chopper. Having no phone he took me to the nearest rancher who did . They were very nice considering, and when I called my wife all was well at home. I then called local sheriffs dept and they explained what I saw was search and rescue chopper from COLO springs. They were looking for a person who was scouting for upcoming rifle hunt, and had his pelvis broken when his horse rolled over on him.His buddy went for help. I suggested they get a speaker to let someone know what they hell they were doing.. when I returned to ranchers cabin I said thanks and good bye, and in 2 minutes realized I had no jacket and my flashlight batteries were not going to last very much longer. he let me sleep on his couch...Next story tomorrow..

23-Jun-15
One of my favorites... I began archery hunting in High School and on my second year year my high school buddy and I found a great set of benches with water and wallows in the aspens. We decided to use a couple of climbing treestands and set up on the water and see if anything would cross. He was on the lower bench and I was on the upper bench about 70-80 yards between our stands... Of course beck then we were dumb kids and did not use a harness or anything...

As I was just about to my desired height in my tree I hear my buddy yelling and screaming. I thought he fell or something. I look down and saw a bear under neath him. Then the whole thing came to light. We were using parachute chord to tie out bows and fanny packs to our legs. Then once we were up we would hoist up our stuff. Well my buddy had a sandwhich and snack in his pack. The bear had ran in and grabbed his pack when he was almost 3/4 of the way up. As i looked down I see the bear pull the pack, my buddy stretched out holding on for life... The bear let loose for a bit and my buddy got a good hold on the tree but then the bear came back and grabbed the bag again. By this time my bow was up and I was aiming with my grouse blunt at the bear. I let it fly and hit the bear. The bear finally let loose of the bag, then went to a small pine tree and shredded it while popping it jaw.

I still see my buddy stretched out holdong on for life and the bear 20 yards below shaking and holding his fanny pack.

23-Jun-15
I was walking back to camp just after dark in NM, and I hear to bulls really going at it close by. I hurry over to see,and move in close, and all I can make out is big shadows moving back and forth, just up hill maybe 5 yds away, and the noise of smashing horns and grunts was incredible. All the sudden one get the upper hand and shoves the other straight down hill, and in a flash I leap out of the way to avoid getting run smooth over by these locked horn bulls. They must have winded me (at 10 feet) as they broke apart and silently walked off in opposite directions.

23-Jun-15
coelker, that's one of the best hunting stories I've ever heard!

23-Jun-15
One year in Arizonas Unit 9 I had run in on 2 bulls locked up just going at it with 4-5 smaller bulls looking on. None of the other excited elk payed me any mind only 25 feet from the battle.

I was having a hard time deciding which or whether to shoot when the bull on the left flipped the other bull flat on his back. That One! Even after being shot the big bull just stood for about the count of 4 like Ali over Louis with blood pulsing 5' out each side of him.

23-Jun-15

Start My Hunt's Link
I have really appreciated the contribution from everybody on this thread. I had no idea it was going to be this popular. Now, I have one more.

We had just finished hunting with my Dad during the 3rd rifle season about 20 years ago (yes, I hunted with a 308 Winchester and not a bow). It was very cold out, the kind of cold that you cannot shake off by walking into a big sheep tent with the stove going full blast. We had pulled three cows off the mountain that day that were now hanging outside our tent.

It was now dark after a successful hunt.

We were hanging out inside the tent and trying to get warm and make some dinner. We had one pre-cooked meal that we brought from home out n the cooler. It was frozen solid.

It was at his time that we decided to try some of freeze-dried crap that my brother brought up since we had a pot with hot water. My brother walked out of the tent to get the dinner and all hell broke loose. Somebody was shooting at us with a 22 caliber rifle. We could hear the POP, POP, POP coming at us from all directions. My brother dove back into the tent and was crawling on the ground trying to get to the back of the tent and wedge himself between the cots in the back. The rest of us were already there.

We just laid there for about 30 minutes and nobody said a thing (did I mention how cold out it was)? After some thought and whispering, it was decided that one of us should try to take a look under the side of the tent. My Dad drew the short straw.

He inched his way over to the side of the tent, pulled up the canvas, and another POP went off. Now we were really freaked out. Nobody moved for about an hour, even though the heat from the stove was starting to fade and we were all freezing.

After laying there and trying to figure out why somebody would be shooting at us, my Dad said a few expletives, grabbed his pistol, and went outside the tent to confront the shooter.

Nobody was there, and a fresh snow that had started about an hour before this dilemma showed no tracks around the campsite. After searching around our campsite and heavily armed, nobody found any tracks in the new snow.

This was perplexing because the shots were coming from right outside the tent. We whispered a few words back and forth about what we should do next? It was at this time that one of the guys that came up with us opened up a cooler to get something out to eat. He looked inside, felt around, and pulled out a can of something. He turned on his flashlight to see that the cans of soda and beer that we had brought up were all split open.

As it turned out, it was so cold that night that our canned sodas and beer were freezing and popping inside the coolers. Sounded just like someone shooting a 22 outside the tent. We all had a good laugh, some dinner, and went to sleep.

Now this is where it really gets weird for me. Remember, it was cold enough to freeze our cans in the cooler. The next morning as we were packing up and leaving, I walked over to the hanging cows. They were frozen solid because we had taken the entire hide off with the exception of the cape around the neck. I slid my bare fingers up under the cape, and it was still warm. Everything else in camp was frozen solid.

Elk are ghosts.

24-Jun-15
We lost several lbs of hind quarter on an bull we backed out and left overnight. It was in the teens at night. No problem right?

Found it right away then next morning and it was laying there white, covered with frost.

Meat soured near the hip socket on the side to the ground. Elk hide/hair is pretty awesome WRT thermal capabilities.

Bruce.... that ol boy went down thinking he was the big winner.... and that one whipped on the ground thought he was the loser, once he got up he found himself the winner.

Goes to show.... even if your whipped and on the ground.... all can still be good if you can get back up.....ya just never know.... always get back up and find out....

24-Jun-15
Love it TD, Great analogy. And I love this thread, it reminds me of sitting at the fire.

-------------------- Years ago, the first year we had a GPS along for the ride, I shot a bull right at last light only a mile from the truck. We had a spot marked on the GPS of where the truck was and I marked a spot where I shot the bull. There was no map or bearing or anything else on the gps that I can recall. Just a spot that told you what direction to go to get back to it.

The Bull came in with two cows, screaming, and gave me a great shot. I made what we thought was a textbook broadside hit. While waiting the mandatory time, we heard him go down, cough a bit and get quiet. We still waited another half hour, to be sure. Getting up to track, we found big pools of blood, all over the place in a ten yard radius...but no elk.

Puzzled, it took us another half hour to find the little trail of blood that led away from that spot, it just wasn't obvious where he had went, like he'd just disappeared. All of the blood looked very airy like lung blood. By now it'd been well over an hour since I had made the shot.

Now pitch black and then some, we were tracking by headlamps and flashlights. We had good blood most of the way, with only a couple slow sections, going on for what seemed like an eternity. It was incredibly dark and by the time we were giving up for the night, we were tired and weren't thinking too straight and were quite unsure where exactly we were. Looking at our watches at about 3:30 am, having followed the bull steadily the entire time, we finally gave up and said we'd come back later.

So as not to lose the spot upon returning to the gps mark, knowing that we wouldn't recognize any of the terrain in the daylight, we made a tipi looking pile of logs, leaned up on top of each other, and wrapped some orange tape around it that we had pulled off of some other trees during the daytime.

It was a steady three mile blood trail back to that point, following our little breadcrumb trail on the gps in the pitch black, with only a vague idea of where we were. Then another mile to the truck! The bull had lost a phenomenal amount of blood.

Finally to the truck, we drove another couple of miles around to the trailer. we staggered into camp not long before daylight to get a little sleep before heading back out.

About 7:30am, sun was up and I couldn't turn my brain off and just had to go back looking. After eating a little breakfast and getting dressed I stepped out of the trailer prepared for a serious hike to get back on the trail.

Looking up I couldnt believe my eyes. Just across the two track from me, that tipi with the orange tape was less than 40 yards away.

My mind raced with how this could be possible? Apparently, after our drive around and hike in, we had then shot the bull and he wondered around and completed the several mile circle, all the way back to camp!! The night before when we gave up and were so dog tired, we could have walked to the east a few yards, instead of back to the west and just went to sleep.

Picking the trail back up, The bull literally crossed the two track and went right past our camper. If we would have followed the trail at night just another 40 yards, we couldn't have missed the road and then the camper, and known right where we were.

He was dead not 50 yards beyond that!

24-Jun-15
ELKBreath.. the only thing the elk didn't do was quarter himself up!! I can only imagine what went through your mind when you saw that tipi. I would've bet the house my buddy was pranking me.

24-Jun-15
Elkbreath - that one may take the cake. Awesome story!

24-Jun-15
Lmao Elkbreath- could have been worse. Could have NOT seen that pile of sticks with tape wrapped around it, drove back to point of entry and made the 3 mile hike back to your last point saved on your GPS otherwise known as CAMP... ;)

26-Jun-15
That is an "all timer" elkbreath!

26-Jun-15
TD quote,"Bruce.... that ol boy went down thinking he was the big winner.... and that one whipped on the ground thought he was the loser, once he got up he found himself the winner."

I probably should expand and finish the story...as I was a bit of a loser myself on this one.

I had been dogging a 350ish heavy, wide herd bull for about 3 miles....ahead of me I heard him going into a canyon with 4-5 screaming bulls and knew I had to close the 200yd distance quick. SMACK I heard them lock up and started running for all I was worth. ....right up to the bulls as I previously described.

Right after I shot "Ali" I heard pounding footsteps coming down the hill and turned to see the bull I had been dogging coming at us in full gallup closing fast. A bit too fast...and getting close. At 30yds I started waving my arms and yelling "Hey, hey"...as that bull was going to run me over.

He comes to a screaching stop- massive bull......right then I'm thinking, I thought you were the bull I just shot? I turned to see the bull I shot just staring at me ( with blood just squirting out each side- 5' min) and sure he was pretty heavy....but also very narrow- 29"wide- a totally different bull. WTF? Dang, right when I figured out I shot the wrong bull all hell broke loose and elk were scattering everywhere! My bull did one of those sideways runs for about 20' and just plowed.

This whole episode took way less time than it took to type it. My buddy rough taped my bull at 320....but I can tell you when you see him from the side..... he looks bigger- grin

26-Jun-15
This has been an outstanding thread! I don't want to see it end. Come on guys dig deep!

26-Jun-15
This may not technically classify as "weirdest" experience but this happened on an elk hunt of mine and I classify it as "weird" because just about all hunters would never have done this. Of course, you don't know this guy......he's notorious for doing funny, crazy stuff while hunting. He definitely provides the humor and lasting stories of our trips.

Three seasons ago, three of us were about 3 miles in hunting out of Ridgway, CO in the Wilderness Area. Buddy got a bull opening day. We packed meat out on Sunday to the truck and hiked back in to the tents. The plan was for him to pack the head out and then come back and meet us. Sunday evening I got a cow. Me and buddy quartered him and hiked to the tents to get the third buddy to help.....no buddy there. We said "oh well, he'll be back Monday morning". We packed all the meat and gear out and he was waiting at the truck "drunk".

His story was "Ya'll would have done the same thing". He found that "clothing optional" hot springs in town (Orvis Hot Springs---they even got a website) and stayed there and got drunk; then drove to the trail head and passed out.

We weren't really mad. It just added another story for the trip.

27-Jun-15
I came upon the dried carcass of a golden eagle a few years back. I took the wing and tail feathers. As soon as I found out the legality they were gone. Anyway washed them and dried them where I was staying. The next evening I was hunting in some thick fir trees that a sparrow couldn't fly through they were so thick. I came out in an opening at a wallow. I heard a noise uphill and I looked to see a golden eagle diving down right at me. It flew over my head about 6 feet above my head and I heard it crash into the thick for trees. I spun around and it was nowhere to be seen. Is tied the tops of the trees it disappeared into and there was not anything there not on the ground. I looked all over and did not see or hear a thing.

• Sitka Gear