tcosmic 21-Jun-15
EmbryO-klahoma 22-Jun-15
Mt. man 22-Jun-15
Bowfreak 22-Jun-15
milnrick 22-Jun-15
Elkguide27 22-Jun-15
EmbryO-klahoma 22-Jun-15
21-Jun-15
Well my wife has been shooting a PSE Beast for over 13 years now. She has not shot it very much until this last year and is starting to shoot again! Her current now works, but being 15 year old bow it sure does not feel smooth at all and seems like she would be able to pull and hold more weight with a newer bow. Or at least it would shoot nicer.

So if you could buy a new bow, what would you get. She is now pulling 55 pounds her bow maxes at 60, but I have not got her there yet. Her goal is 60 so we might shoot her bow that summer to strengthen!

Amy thoughts? Or would I just be better off heading to the big city for a weekend and letting shoot a huge variety?

21-Jun-15
Take her to town, let her shoot until she finds the right one. Then buy her a nice dinner and have a great weekend with your wife. There are so many good rigs out there now for women that she'll have no problem finding a winner.

21-Jun-15
and .. do not over bow her .... make the bow choice 'comfortable' and "easy" in draw weight. Shooting / hunting with a bow should be FUN and not difficult when it comes to equipment choices. A lighter 'poundage' draw will be more comfortable to her in "the heat of the moment" when a target or animal is in front of her at her effective yardage. Remember, speed don't kill that animal, control and accuracy does!

Good Luck to you and the wife .... get out there and have some great memorable times together.

21-Jun-15
Get her a bow with a 6" BH, she could shoot 50 pounds and its will be as fast as a 60 pound 7" BH bow, and the the new speed bows shoot just as nice as a 7" bh bow. Look at the hoyt, nitrum or spyder turbos, bowtech rpm 360, Darton ds3800, pse dream season decree. Bet any of these bows will have more power at 45 pounds than her 15 year old bow set at 60

21-Jun-15
Diamond Infinite---3.2# -- 7" brace height --- 5-70lb -- 31" axle to axle. I use these to teach the women in my advanced archery class. No need for bow press, 2 screw adjustment for the draw length, under $400. A starting point to expand from there.

21-Jun-15
Have her pull back some Elite bows. I find them very smooth and easy pulling.

21-Jun-15
Hoyt Charger, best bang for the buck.

21-Jun-15
Last year I bought a PSE Fever 1 for my daugher who turned 21. She is strong so I got her the 60# edition.

Man! That bow is sweet. Light, fast and quiet. She shoots good with it.

21-Jun-15
Well my wife has been shooting a PSE Beast for over 13 years now. She has not shot it very much until this last year and is starting to shoot again! Her current now works, but being 15 year old bow it sure does not feel smooth at all and seems like she would be able to pull and hold more weight with a newer bow. Or at least it would shoot nicer.

So if you could buy a new bow, what would you get. She is now pulling 55 pounds her bow maxes at 60, but I have not got her there yet. Her goal is 60 so we might shoot her bow that summer to strengthen!

Amy thoughts? Or would I just be better off heading to the big city for a weekend and letting shoot a huge variety?

21-Jun-15
X2 with Brotsky

21-Jun-15
My opinion would be to take her town and hit several different shops and let her shoot them all. She will know which one "feels" right to her.

Lots of great bows on the market but only she will know which one is right for her.

21-Jun-15
Elite has a nice draw cycle.

22-Jun-15
Have her pick up and shoot a Bowtech Carbon rose. Very lightweight and smooth shooter. I bought my wife one last year and she loves it. Very affordable also.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

22-Jun-15
X3 with Brotsky and X2 for loopmtz. Everyone can recommend "Their" favorite or make the ignorant "Best Bang" "Hands Down" claims. Unless your wife is the exact height, weight, arm strength, arm length and etc. etc. etc. as each of the experts on here. Then zeroing in on 1 brand is not doing your wife a service. Let her SHOOT and find the one that feels RIGHT to HER!!!!

22-Jun-15
I am typically partial to Hoyts but one bow that is not a Hoyt that I really like for short draw archers is the Chill SDX. Great bow!

22-Jun-15
I think Brotsky and HeadHunter’s comments are spot on.

To Headhunter’s point, be sure you don’t over bow her. While we should always be sure our equipment meets the game we’ll be hunting. Today’s bows store and release their energy much more efficiently than bows from 5 or 10 years ago. Most of the animals

Twenty years ago, when Millie (Lady Bowhunter) and the other women began shooting competitively or started, bowhunting bows were designed for men. It’s different today nearly every bow manufacturer has a bow ergonomically designed for Women and Youth on the market; with pricing to fit most budgets.

That said, here’s I’d recommend following Brotsky’s advice – take your wife to the Big City and let her shoot as many bows as she wants until she finds ‘The Bow”, see if there’s a 3D shoot near you that has a women’s division and go to it. Ask the shooters about their bows and if they’d let her handle it or even shoot it.

Concerning performance, a 50# bow with a razor sharp broadhead will kill nearly every big game animal in North America quickly, cleanly and humanely if the shot placement is correct. Point being don’t get too wrapped up with draw weight – remember shooting a bow should be enjoyable.

As for brands – you can go high end with Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, or you can look at other brands. Over the years we’ve learned that we don’t have to buy the most expensive bow on the market to get high end performance. So, don’t overlook other brands such as Alpine (I’ve shot the Silverado and enjoyed it), Quest (I’m shooting a Rogue, and she’s shooting a Bliss) or even Martin.

Circling back to Brotsky’s comment, go somewhere where you wife can shoot as many as possible, she’ll know the correct bow for her as soon as she releases the arrow.

Good Luck

22-Jun-15
Bought mine another Hoyt this year, the Factor 30, she is pulling 60lbs now and the bow shoots really nice and smooth for her even at that weight

22-Jun-15
So as not to look like an "expert", which I am not, my post above was nothing more than a recommendation. I fully agree with others in shooting multiple bows and finding the one that is right for your wife. Good luck and post what you guys decide on.

• Sitka Gear