'Ike' (Phone) 24-Jun-15
KJC 24-Jun-15
glacier 24-Jun-15
geneinidaho 24-Jun-15
BULELK1 25-Jun-15
loopmtz 25-Jun-15
Fulldraw1972 25-Jun-15
24-Jun-15
So for the last 15 years or so my cammo has consisted of what was available in the bargain cave. Some of it good, some cheap, most of it did not fit real great but it worked.

Is it worth investing into a system? For those who have bought the high end stuff Sitka etc. was it worth it or am I just as good getting the stuff at walmart for cheap and picking up stuff out of the bargain cave?

Maybe I am just a tight wad and life is too short to hunt in second rate cammo.

As far as success I have no problem killing elk, just wondering if I am missing something...

For archery I like my clothes nice and light and cool

24-Jun-15
I don't know about all the expensive stuff, but I will say my Sitka Ascent pants have been worth the $150 many times over.

They're light, they stretch when you climb and don't bind. And mine have lasted some hard use since 2010. I've had to have my aunt sew some holes closed, and one bigger patch job, but they've stood up well in my opinion.

I use them for spring turkey, elk, whitetails, and pretty much everything else where I want light and cool

Bake

24-Jun-15
for years I told myself I would not pay the high price for the fancy hunting clothes. after buying some Sitka stuff I was amazed at how good it was. the fabric moves with you and I think it reduces fatigue over the long day of moving around in elk country compared to wearing camo jeans etc. I think the stuff is worth the money imo.

24-Jun-15
I have spent the last few years transitioning to Sitka and First Lite. It has been very expensive but a good investment. The clothes don't make me a better hunter but they do allow me to be more comfortable while hunting. This has allowed me to hunt a little longer and a little harder.

I really like First Lite gear. I like the idea of the wool. I have also the Sitka wool shirt.

For me it's like all hunting/outdoor gear. I can hunt in jeans and a t-shirt and sleep in a Walmart tent but I really like Sitka/First Lite and sleeping in a trailer. To each his own.

24-Jun-15
Like above, the clothing doesn't make the hunter, but it does make a difference. It's no surprise that guides are wearing Sitka, Kuiu, etc. -- their fabrics are simply following what mountaineering companies like Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Mammut, etc. have been doing for years. If you're out in the elements for a sustained period (whether over a season or several seasons, a good pair of pants, base layer, and a jacket is worth your purchase).

24-Jun-15
I've spent years building a decent set of Sitka Gear. It's definitely a luxury item and not necessary. But I will say it was worth it for me and I have no regrets. I still can't stomach dropping several hundred dollars on clothes all at once. But $75 here, $150 there, I can do that and still live with myself ;)

About half of my gear was used and the other I bought new at discount prices. You can pick up some really good used pieces on the various hunting forums if you do your homework and move fast.

24-Jun-15
I've stood 20 yards from a bedded bull for two hours with nothing between us but blue sky, and shot a NM bull at two steps, both times wearing cheap cabelas camo. So, cheap works just fine. The difference is "user comfort" and the new technical stuff is very nice, especially on 80+ degree days. It was an eye opener for me.

If you have no new stuff I would buy a technical top, either a synthetic like Sitka or a merino like First Lite and try then out. Be advised the merino is not close to durability of the synthetics but the synthetics will funk after a few days.

24-Jun-15
I'll echo WapitiBob's statement that it does make a difference in comfort.

I love my Sitka Ascent pants for Sept elk hunting and the same goes for my First Lite merino wool shirt.

Rain gear is another area where it's nice to have the nice stuff.

24-Jun-15
Sitka Ascent pants were my first Sitka purchase. I figured I would wear them only on western hunts. They are so comfortable I wear them anytime I'm hunting and temperatures allow. I also have many more Sitka items as well as KUIU. I've heard of no one who went back to cheapo clothing after trying the good stuff!

24-Jun-15
I'd say if you are considering the upgrade make it a point to go to a cabelas or bass pro to try some stuff on. Sometimes thats all it takes to know you "need" some. I have the tendency to piece things together over time b/c I refuse to pay full retail.

24-Jun-15
I hunt a lot of different environments, and having clothing that somewhat matches the hues seems to help. Eg., summer/fall in cali you need stuff the color of dried grass. I ain't gonna drop two grand on flavor of the week hitech clothing to do that, Worsterlon is fine camo, and as noted, the bargain cave can get you 3+ garments for the price of one hitech piece. That being said, if you are backpacking every ounce counts, and hitech works the best, Cabelas is taking note of the prices others are getting for their made in china goods (which bugs me), and I'm seeing more serious stuff from them that rates with flava-flave products. Can the bargain cave for some of that be far behind?

24-Jun-15
I have a pair of First Lite pants. I love them.

I had a few issues and First Lite went above and beyond to make me happy.

Since then, I wear them a lot. Boundary Waters canoe trips, spring turkey hunting, fall bow hunting, fall deer hunting, Alaskan moose hunting.

The pants are very light, tough, and dry quickly.

I also have Sitka merino top and bottom base layers. They are also worth the extra money.

Like another poster said: watch camofire or other sites and pick up a piece here and there. The price seems much more reasonable that way.

24-Jun-15
I upgraded to Core4Element through Camofire because I couldn't justify the higher prices of Kuiu and Sitka at my age. I've hunted in the stuff now for about 50 days, plus another 30 days of scouting and am extremely happy with it.

24-Jun-15
Bigdog... leafy wear is bomb-diggity for deer hunting. Cabelas brand was by far the best for me.. don't know if they make it still or not. The leaves had extra edges rather than a straight line cut which really gave it more depth.

24-Jun-15
I think camo patterns are drastically over-rated. I much prefer weight, construction and performance as my primary criteria over the camo pattern.

That said, I strongly believe digital camo does the best job of breaking up your outline.

For the past few years, all of my hunting clothing is either Sitka or KUIU. Both are top-of-the line stuff that have revolutionized hunting clothing. KUIU is less costly, but only because they only sell direct, thereby avoiding retailer mark ups

24-Jun-15
I've killed elk 2 of the past 3 seasons wearing cheap Walmart camo. It might not be the most comfortable clothing, but it works for me...

24-Jun-15
"I've heard of no one who went back to cheapo clothing after trying the good stuff!"

that.

The tech stuff is normally more comfortable, more athletic cut, covers a wider range of conditions and temps, lighter, less bulky. Normally.

We have to fly in everywhere. Clothing is both weight and bulk. If I can cut out several pieces as well as it being lighter and less bulk... awesome.... comfort isn't a bad deal either.

I know a few old school guys that won't use it for the simple reason they are old school and want to use what they are used to using and/or have general dislike for tech. They put tons of animals on the ground too. The tech stuff, no matter the camo, will not make you a better hunter. But like many things it will buy you a bit of comfort and save some weight. Personally, that's enough for me.

Cost? Can't take it with ya I'm told... but actually some good quality tech gear... least ya can be buried in it.... =D

24-Jun-15
Yah, they are worth every penny. I never would have made the switch. But, a buddy gave me Sitka pants, Core4 jacket, and a few shirts. Now, I'm buying more.

I hunted elk, early and hot, for ten days last year. I wore one pair of pants the whole time. (I did hand wash them on day seven or eight.) I was not going back to my Predator cotton pants ever again.

The pockets are all in the right places. Quiet. Comfortable. Awesome stuff.

For Sale: Four pair of Predator pants.

24-Jun-15
Yes, the Sitka Ascent pant and core series are great...Pretty much all I wore last year in Utah...OpenCountry or even the new Elevated II would work in the Sage and Pines...

As said, camo is in the eye of the beholder...I'm more interested in fit and wear...

24-Jun-15
Like Jaquomo, I bought the C4E stuff from Camofire. It's all good stuff but I like the Element Jacket and pants, the Assault shirt and the Selway shirt the best.

24-Jun-15
My opinion is this: It depends on where and how you hunt....

If you are going to go sit in a tree stand in relatively nice weather, the added benefit of the high end materials probably won't be worth it. But if you are in more extreme conditions or are a very active hunter (as many elk hunters are) the better materials and better construction will make for a much more comfortable day.

For me, I don't worry too much about which camo pattern I have on, and I mix and match a bunch of different brands (Sitka, Core4element, badlands, etc). The first thing I would do is get some wicking underwear and T shirts. Having a quick drying layer next to the skin will greatly improve your comfort if you sweat a lot while hiking. If you want to try out some of the high end camo, for most September elk hunts I recommend you start with some good pants that move well with you. I have Sitka and Core4 pants. The Sitka are better for me and seem to be holding up a little better, but the core 4 stuff is really good too (definitely worth what I paid for it). Then start building base layers, shirts and jackets. A good pair of long underwear bottoms will make your lightweight pants cover most of the conditions you will encounter in September.

Unless you will be hunting in very cold temps, will be sitting in a treestand in more extreme conditions or you are someone who is constantly cold, I would get lighter weight stuff and you can do some layering to match the conditions. I rarely wear the heavily insulated stuff that I have.

All of the above is obviously just my opinions. The advice is free, and I hope it is worth at least that much.

24-Jun-15
Core4Element and King's XKG line in desert camo for me.

25-Jun-15
I have a mix-n-match of Sitka, Kryptek, King's Camo and Predator----

I am content

Good luck, Robb

25-Jun-15
KUIU rules!

25-Jun-15
I actually find myself wearing less Camo and more solid colors these days. I do like sitka because of the quality of there materials and the way it fits me. Except of course there tall pants are not tall enough. That is why I transitioned to solid colors in Kuhl pants.

A couple years ago I had a pair of outfitter Camo rain pants. I laid them out on an avalanche chute. I walked 40 yards away. I could not see them. I didn't spot them till I was 8 yards away from them. They blended in perfect with the rocks and little bit of grass that was there.

• Sitka Gear